Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
The only issue I've had with my 6+ is 3rd party keyboards acting funky with some apps, and that's probably just because the apps haven't been updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

xzzy posted:

Where's the value motivating a company to support HealthKit? If they already record every bit of data they're interested in into their own app, tying into the health database only subjects them to the shifting whims of Apple.

Unless Apple starts rejecting apps for not using the database I really don't see what value developers will find with the interface.

"Definitely" is a hard requirement to satisfy, but I still use Sleep Cycle and it's a very nice alarm clock. To avoid waking up with the phone on the floor I stuff my phone under the sheets.

Hate to bring up bending again but I do this with my iPhone 5 and often wake up sleeping on it. I could see how a thinner phone might not bend under normal use but could bend if you're laying on top of it. So has anyone tried to use sleep cycle with their iPhone 6?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

carry on then posted:

I have never had any of those issues, so that cancels out your anecdote :smug:

Great service in my house, despite only having 1-2 bars at most.
Touch ID working flawlessly on 4 of my fingers and one of my wife's fingers.
The wifi is fast as hell, easy to turn off at work to deal with stupid filters on websites like this. Just as easy to switch back on after.
Only seen boot up screen when i first turned it on and installing 8.02.
Use blootooth every day in my car and with a speaker in the shower. Zero issues.
Not bent.
Not pulling out my hair.

Just works.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Anecdotes are anecdotal, but TouchID has never failed once for me. It blows me away with its accuracy and speed.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

pzy posted:

Anecdotes are anecdotal, but TouchID has never failed once for me. It blows me away with its accuracy and speed.
Only issues I've noticed so far is when hopping out of the shower and your fingers are still a bit "pruny", which is to be expected.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pertplus posted:

Hate to bring up bending again but I do this with my iPhone 5 and often wake up sleeping on it. I could see how a thinner phone might not bend under normal use but could bend if you're laying on top of it. So has anyone tried to use sleep cycle with their iPhone 6?

I use it with my iPhone 6 but I don't think I've ever woken up on my phone so I can't really help you with this. Realistically, there should be enough force distribution that it won't cause a bend.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Pertplus posted:

You'd have to have a pretty stiff bed and a pretty bony body to bend a phone my laying on it while on a mattress.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

spunkshui posted:

Great service in my house, despite only having 1-2 bars at most.
Touch ID working flawlessly on 4 of my fingers and one of my wife's fingers.
The wifi is fast as hell, easy to turn off at work to deal with stupid filters on websites like this. Just as easy to switch back on after.
Only seen boot up screen when i first turned it on and installing 8.02.
Use blootooth every day in my car and with a speaker in the shower. Zero issues.
Not bent.
Not pulling out my hair.

Just works.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Funny, iOS 8 decided it doesn't want me to crop landscape photos to a square anymore. If I try, it looks like it is working but when I press Done it is changed back to a rectangle. Then if I try to edit it again, it has a white bar at the bottom. Quality!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I've had some fun errors, Mail opens as nothing but the wallpaper image and top bar. Also all my music keeps disappearing during shuffles, apart from Radiohead's Pyramid Song.

Apart from that I like it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

smackfu posted:

Funny, iOS 8 decided it doesn't want me to crop landscape photos to a square anymore. If I try, it looks like it is working but when I press Done it is changed back to a rectangle. Then if I try to edit it again, it has a white bar at the bottom. Quality!
You gotta move the crop area after you click square.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

carry on then posted:

I have never had any of those issues, so that cancels out your anecdote :smug:

Same here. I keep hearing "all these people" and then it turns out "well, it was just me and my friend and tons of people on the Apple forums" where tons=20

It's cool. You don't like then you don't like it. Move on. But don't tell us "everyone" is having this issue, when clearly "everyone" is not.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

flosofl posted:

Same here. I keep hearing "all these people" and then it turns out "well, it was just me and my friend and tons of people on the Apple forums" where tons=20

It's cool. You don't like then you don't like it. Move on. But don't tell us "everyone" is having this issue, when clearly "everyone" is not.

Who said everyone?

And what does that have to do with not liking it? The phone is fantastic and the experience is great it's just that there are some bugs in the OS. Nothing more, nothing less.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I've recently been going through my icloud contacts, and updating everyone I care about with emails, birthdays, and pictures. The portrait thing in icloud is that little circle you can grab and drag a picture into. My issue is that this doesn't seem to translate to actually showing that picture on the lock screen when that person calls me. I know the picture is uploading correctly, because I can see the little circular portraits next to my favorite callers/next to my text messages on my ipad. Even some of my older pictures I uploaded back on my iphone4 and used to show up everytime the person called, are now not showing up. How do I fix this, and get everyone's picture to show up when they call me?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Who said everyone?

And what does that have to do with not liking it? The phone is fantastic and the experience is great it's just that there are some bugs in the OS. Nothing more, nothing less.

My misunderstanding then. Apologies.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

iOS 8 trailers app

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Is there a way to put music on my iPhone without using loving piece of poo poo gently caress you iTunes for Windows computer. ? Thank you.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Loving everything about my 6 Plus except for the scrolling. It sucks. Thing scrolls like a 3 year old iPhone at this point. It's just so jaggedy for a brand new phone. Not sure if it's the scaling making it underpowered or if this will get fixed in an update. More prevalent in some apps than others but it is there.

But it sucks. I don't think it will make me sell the phone but it is disappointing to not have smooth scrolling on a new phone.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

What about the scrolling is not smooth?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Cozmosis posted:

Loving everything about my 6 Plus except for the scrolling. It sucks. Thing scrolls like a 3 year old iPhone at this point. It's just so jaggedy for a brand new phone. Not sure if it's the scaling making it underpowered or if this will get fixed in an update. More prevalent in some apps than others but it is there.

But it sucks. I don't think it will make me sell the phone but it is disappointing to not have smooth scrolling on a new phone.

This is incredibly prevalent on non optimized apps, a co worker of mine got his 6+ a few days ago and was complaining about it and side by side to my regular six. it's INCREDIBLY noticeable. It goes away entirely when he's in an actual optimized app so i think it's definitely due to the scaling situation.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In general I'm pretty blown away by how responsive the 6 is. I had to fire up my old Droid Maxx for a work project yesterday and it just felt incredibly choppy.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think it's as much iOS as the hardware. I was back on my 5 for a bit and it struck me just how smooth even it was in most places. I had a hard time finding an app which stuttered on the 5 but not the 6.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Other than the suicidal battery for (seemingly a lot of) people, the 5 has aged remarkably well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have noticed the 5 just randomly does nothing for a second or two every once in a while when switching apps or opening tabs in safari. I can't decide if it's apps not being updated for 8 yet or aging hardware so I just ignore it.

But for the most part it feels as good as it did two years ago.. I guess 1GB of ram still being the high water mark is a good thing for me.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Other than the suicidal battery for (seemingly a lot of) people, the 5 has aged remarkably well.

I like the 5 so much that I'm considering either trying one of those oleophobic re-application kits, or "upgrading" to the 5S. Every time I start thinking about getting the 6, I borrow a coworkers' and I lose the enthusiasm.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm using a 5 and am hoping to hold out for another year for a better performing giantphone.

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
Are IMEI unlocks still illegal in the USA?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So my phone's screen is hosed. Again. Like 2 weeks after it was repaired/swapped at an Aplle Store (for free, thankfully). It's doing the same poo poo as before with the touch sensor or whatever going completely bonkers on the top of the screen rendering the phone useless if you actually need to use that top third of the screen.

At this time I'm just going to ride it out somehow until next month and hope the 6 doesn't have this problem because God drat it's annoying as hell.

Is this happening to anyone else? It just feels like it's a stupid as gently caress glitch but I can't find anything on it other than actual dead screen reports/news/help.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Why wouldn't you exchange it again? Swapped phones come with a 30 day warranty.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

fleshweasel posted:

I'm using a 5 and am hoping to hold out for another year for a better performing giantphone.

Yeah that too. I actually looked at a 6+ briefly the other day and I kinda liked it, dirty as I feel admitting that. I'd also like to replace my iPad, due to a cracked screen, so part of me is considering the 6+ as a single, catch-all device. I'll see what the iPad event brings later month.

It just feels weird, after 7 years, to not absolutely lust after the latest crop of Apple devices.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Why wouldn't you exchange it again? Swapped phones come with a 30 day warranty.

I probably will drop by again but having the same exact issue happen on the exact same area of the screen feels weird. Here I just made a dumb video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDBm1U7FP4

Bonus cat for SWSP if he drops by.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I probably will drop by again but having the same exact issue happen on the exact same area of the screen feels weird. Here I just made a dumb video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCDBm1U7FP4

Bonus cat for SWSP if he drops by.
Hi Cinnamon!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

England Sucks posted:

Nope.

You have to make sure the phone is no longer on subsidy, but the carriers HAVE to unlock your phone now if you ask.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 9, 2014

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I actually think the 5 is a not great product in hindsight. It had two quality programs (and not for small things like the speaker or something), anodization that was easily scuffed off (and that was a problem discovered on day one of release), and a cable that has gone through a couple of silent revisions because it's so weak near the connector. They didn't have to have a press conference for these things, but I think they were way worse and more widespread than Antennagate was in reality.

Now, "bad" is obviously a relative term since the bar is so high, but it really is down there for me. And this is really only for the black first revision of the device. If you bought, say, a white iPhone 5 after March 2013 or so, you're probably fine.

Oh also Apple really hosed up the battery program too so points off for that as well

E: Also while we're mentioning issues with phones, my phone was dead when I came back to my room after about 20 minutes of not being in it. I turned it back on with a hard reboot, but it would freeze at the lockscreen every time. Had to restore it from a backup via recovery.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

nerdrum posted:

This is incredibly prevalent on non optimized apps, a co worker of mine got his 6+ a few days ago and was complaining about it and side by side to my regular six. it's INCREDIBLY noticeable. It goes away entirely when he's in an actual optimized app so i think it's definitely due to the scaling situation.

It is definitely worse in non-optimized apps - but does show up in the updated ones too.

Like the Twitter app I use, Awful app, etc.. its not a jaggedy mess but its clearly dropping frames when you scroll.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

England Sucks posted:

If you're talking about carrier unlocks, absolutely not. If you're talking about changing the IMEI of the device, yes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

flosofl posted:

Nope.

You have to make sure the phone is no longer on subsidy, but the carriers HAVE to unlock your phone now if you ask.

That law only made it legal again for consumers to unlock phones themselves using a third party service. There is no mandate that carriers unlock customer devices.

There was a separate "voluntary" agreement by the CTIA for carriers to unlock devices that meet certain criteria, but that doesn't go into effect until February or March 2015.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cozmosis posted:

It is definitely worse in non-optimized apps - but does show up in the updated ones too.

Like the Twitter app I use, Awful app, etc.. its not a jaggedy mess but its clearly dropping frames when you scroll.

Buttery smooth scrolling on my 6+, trailers app works perfectly, wifi/bt is perfect. Big phone best phone no glitches. Go to android and or wait a year for a "good" phone all you want I'm sippin a mojito and wearin my Jordan's kicking back with this Plus.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Once I get good at using the keyboard on the 6+ ill be at my max happiness with it. I like the swipe keyboards (even though I'm garbage at using them efficiently) but if you go to landscape mode you can't really use swipe so you need to toggle back to default meaning you go through the emoji keyboard and it's slow and it's frustrating.

Nit Picked Bugs:
The Facebook app always loads up then the screen goes fully black for a second then it comes back to normal.
I've had issues reliably getting the swipe up to open control center gesture to work 100% but that could be me. Could it require a longer distance gesture on the bigger phone I wonder?
Once I clicked the start button on the timer and the phone rebooted that was cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.