Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lucid Dream posted:

I think the difficult part would be determining when to give the player the hints. The intent with putting the AGIS button on the HUD was to make it so you could use him like a metal gear codec, so I suppose I'd like to work out a system of giving hints when you're near a creature or attacking them or something. I'd also eventually like to do a pokedex or something that you could fill out by scanning the mobs which could serve a similar purpose, but I dunno when we might actually do that.

A pokedex\scan thing would be super neat, be nice to know about some of these wierd-rear end critters I am slaughtering. Or even an AGIS function where you can ask him to tell you about a nearby critter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

OK admittedly I haven't played the last couple patches so maybe this changed but I just realized I had this thread open and a question popped into my head that I'd been wanting to know since playing.

Dying and then subsequently being transported to the already-built base on the map makes me feel like dying as soon as I get onto the planet is probably a better idea for setting up a home base than trying to build something from scratch at your landing point. Which, in turn, makes this feel a lot less like a survival game and more like I'm accidentally cheating. Am I crazy to think that being given that building is sorta lame from a survival aspect or is this game not supposed to be "that kind of survival game."

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

DaveKap posted:

OK admittedly I haven't played the last couple patches so maybe this changed but I just realized I had this thread open and a question popped into my head that I'd been wanting to know since playing.

Dying and then subsequently being transported to the already-built base on the map makes me feel like dying as soon as I get onto the planet is probably a better idea for setting up a home base than trying to build something from scratch at your landing point. Which, in turn, makes this feel a lot less like a survival game and more like I'm accidentally cheating. Am I crazy to think that being given that building is sorta lame from a survival aspect or is this game not supposed to be "that kind of survival game."

I get where you're coming from, its kinda hard to justify building a base out of stone and wood when there is a sci-fi base you can shack up in, but the sci-fi base is made out of a material you can't modify until the very last tier of pick/lens currently in-game, which really limits your options creatively. I'm not really sure what the ideal solution is there. That said, there isn't really a lot you need to protect yourself from on the surface of the planet at this point, so it doesn't really seem like you're getting a huge benefit aside from the fact that the structure is already built.

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 9, 2014

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Lucid Dream posted:

I get where you're coming from, its kinda hard to justify building a base out of stone and wood when there is a sci-fi base you can shack up in, but the sci-fi base is made out of a material you can't modify until the very last tier of pick/lens currently in-game, which really limits your options creatively. I'm not really sure what the ideal solution is there. That said, there isn't really a lot you need to protect yourself from on the surface of the planet at this point, so it doesn't really seem like you're getting a huge benefit aside from the fact that the structure is already built.
Ah, that makes sense then. I suppose my only issue would be stocking it with equipment that is better than the early craftable gear. I seem to recall there are pants in there. I should start without pants. (Sorta kidding.) I'm not really sure if any gear in that place is actually better than tier 1 craftables, though, I just remember getting some tool and being like "oh hey I needed that!" and feeling like I cheated.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

DaveKap posted:

Ah, that makes sense then. I suppose my only issue would be stocking it with equipment that is better than the early craftable gear. I seem to recall there are pants in there. I should start without pants. (Sorta kidding.) I'm not really sure if any gear in that place is actually better than tier 1 craftables, though, I just remember getting some tool and being like "oh hey I needed that!" and feeling like I cheated.

Yeah, I think there is an iron pick and some armor pieces in there. Because of the sandbox nature of the game, we can't know when you're going around exploring an area, so I stuck an iron pick in there because I figured it would be kinda lame to go exploring and find a copper pick that you will probably craft pretty quick anyway. In hindsight, I suppose its pretty safe to assume that most people will find that pick pretty much immediately with it being so close to the spawn point, so we might as well put the copper pick in there.

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

Looks fun. Why not. Installing, I'll post my thoughts when I've had a chance to gently caress around with it.

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

the shoe sprites suck. the dialogue is really self-aware and enjoyable but the text is small and hurts my eyes. the other sprites look good i like how it all looks

okay so you have a wristpad that is neat and supposedly how you look at your inventory and stuff. and it has an AI that sort of walks you through stuff. like i just pressed 2 to try to use my whip and it told me to scroll instead, which is neat. also when it gets dark it tells you how to use a flashlight, stuff like that. neat non-overbearing tutorial system.

combat is really fun, i whipped a pig to death just like in real life.

idk what else to say besides this game is really fun for $10 good game goon

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

shoe sprites suck for real though can i have some good looking running shoes in any game?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Dareon posted:

Well, since you had the GPS, you can now find your death pile on the minimap (And maybe drill straight down, you have been upgrading your MFD, right?), but if you had literally all your stuff on you, you're kinda stuck gathering materials for bone armor and a wooden sword, yeah.

When I start upgrading my gear into things actually made of metal, I also start storing my old gear in a chest in the mining outpost, so I at least have something I can corpse run with.

Yeah I ended up running down the shaft naked to my death corpse and getting all my stuff back.

Cool game.

Do salvage kits wear out? Two of them seem to have disappeared after use.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Do salvage kits wear out? Two of them seem to have disappeared after use.

From what I've seen, they are one time use items.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

emmie posted:

shoe sprites suck for real though can i have some good looking running shoes in any game?

sacrifices had to be made for the goku hair

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Shake, shake, shake.....

I love that I can mine all of this without moving...GOTY.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I hate to ask, but is there a release date for this game as far as feature complete goes? I own it but don't want to play until it's ready. Anything, no matter how vague or with massive error bars (i.e., 2020, +/- 6 years), would be appreciated.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

OneTwentySix posted:

I hate to ask, but is there a release date for this game as far as feature complete goes? I own it but don't want to play until it's ready. Anything, no matter how vague or with massive error bars (i.e., 2020, +/- 6 years), would be appreciated.

I would say minimum 6 months, more likely a year or more to 1.0.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Arkitektbmw posted:

Shake, shake, shake.....

I love that I can mine all of this without moving...GOTY.

What we need now is a 'vacuum miner' that works like a handheld version of Devastator's mouth from Revenge of the Fallen; tears apart blocks and small creatures in an arc and sucks them into you before spitting out any usable items from the back of the device :v:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Neruz posted:

What we need now is a 'vacuum miner' that works like a handheld version of Devastator's mouth from Revenge of the Fallen; tears apart blocks and small creatures in an arc and sucks them into you before spitting out any usable items from the back of the device :v:

Oh god, that would be pretty hilarious.

Here is a thing we made for the next update, an Impact Rod:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lucid Dream posted:

boomstick

emmie
Jan 13, 2014

Lucid Dream posted:

this looks awesome

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Explosive melee weapons are the best kind of melee weapons. Nothing says 'die' better than being clubbed and then the club explodes.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I bought this game a few days ago on the strength of the GIFs and the constant updates/feedback in this thread, and it's a purchase I don't regret in the slightest.

I have a question about the achievements though, mostly because I think I've run out of stuff to do; are all the achievements live and I'm just missing things or are some of them currently inactive? There's some gem crafting looking achievements I can't seem to unlock and an achievement that looks like an alien face maybe that eludes me. I've gone to all the highlighted spots on the minimap and randomly explored pretty heavily but I haven't found anything new in a while, so I'm thinking I've hit a content wall for the moment.

In any case, really looking forward to future updates!

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Crust First posted:

I bought this game a few days ago on the strength of the GIFs and the constant updates/feedback in this thread, and it's a purchase I don't regret in the slightest.

I have a question about the achievements though, mostly because I think I've run out of stuff to do; are all the achievements live and I'm just missing things or are some of them currently inactive? There's some gem crafting looking achievements I can't seem to unlock and an achievement that looks like an alien face maybe that eludes me. I've gone to all the highlighted spots on the minimap and randomly explored pretty heavily but I haven't found anything new in a while, so I'm thinking I've hit a content wall for the moment.

In any case, really looking forward to future updates!

The gem achievements aren't in yet, they'll be in the next update. You can get the other one by using the computer in pioneer station. Aside from that, you've pretty much finished the story content in-game, I'm glad you're enjoying what we've got so far =D

Lucid Dream fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.

Ah, man, I had clicked on the computer screen before but not directly on the mail looking icon I guess! Thanks for the pointer, I would have excavated the whole world eventually if left to my own devices.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Crust First posted:

Ah, man, I had clicked on the computer screen before but not directly on the mail looking icon I guess! Thanks for the pointer, I would have excavated the whole world eventually if left to my own devices.

Ah, maybe I should make the icon blink or something until you've watched it once.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lucid Dream posted:

This game. :allears:

Can you thrust with that thing? I have a couple monsters I'd love to jab in the face with that.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

The animated gifs alone sold this game to me.

Installing now, looks a lot of fun.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I've been trying to figure out the right effects for the ore scanner, and Scaevolus on the #SAGameDev irc suggested using particles as a wave that interacts with the different densities of the ground and it is working pretty well so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnhAsS5zms0

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lucid Dream posted:

I've been trying to figure out the right effects for the ore scanner, and Scaevolus on the #SAGameDev irc suggested using particles as a wave that interacts with the different densities of the ground and it is working pretty well so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnhAsS5zms0

Holy crap that looks awesome! I love that it slows down as it hits something with a higher density, it makes it really look like a sonar. Are the particles visible even in the dark?

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Who What Now posted:

Are the particles visible even in the dark?
Yep, they just draw over top of everything else.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
Did some more work on the ore scanner, I made the dots bigger and made the effect scale across the gem tiers, this video shows it with no gem installed and the brilliant gem installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do19ioUJqA

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lucid Dream posted:

Did some more work on the ore scanner, I made the dots bigger and made the effect scale across the gem tiers, this video shows it with no gem installed and the brilliant gem installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do19ioUJqA

:aaaaa:

That looks really good. I love that it's obvious where the hidden collectables are even without looking at the minimap just by how much the particles slow down and then speed back up after they pass through.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lucid Dream posted:

That is almost exactly what I imagined; I imagined the particles 'reflecting' off of valuable blocks but having them slow down works too.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Neruz posted:

That is almost exactly what I imagined; I imagined the particles 'reflecting' off of valuable blocks but having them slow down works too.
Yeah, I tried out reflecting and it sorta worked, but I couldn't get it to look right and I was a little worried about performance since as it is right now I can safely remove the particles when they go off screen, but if they reflected you would expect them to go out a lot further and stay active for a lot longer.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lucid Dream posted:

Yeah, I tried out reflecting and it sorta worked, but I couldn't get it to look right and I was a little worried about performance since as it is right now I can safely remove the particles when they go off screen, but if they reflected you would expect them to go out a lot further and stay active for a lot longer.

I was actually thinking of a more short range reflection, maybe 2-3 blocks which just helps outline where the valuable stuff is. But your idea of slowing the particles down depending on density works just as well and is a more elegant solution.

Personally I'd probably add a minor 'reflection' particle that spawns for half a second or so whenever the particles hit something that slows them down, but that's just because I like to make things look pretty :v:

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

Neruz posted:

I was actually thinking of a more short range reflection, maybe 2-3 blocks which just helps outline where the valuable stuff is. But your idea of slowing the particles down depending on density works just as well and is a more elegant solution.

Sound waves actually travel more quickly through denser mediums. :science:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

alyandon posted:

I said elegant not realistic :v:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

alyandon posted:

Those aren't sound waves, but laser waves. :pseudo:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Who What Now posted:

Actually I think you will find they are laser particles :eng101:

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

Who What Now posted:

Neruz posted:

Actually I think you will find they are laser particles :eng101:

I think it could be argued that they are both, like some sort of wave-particle duality!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lucid Dream posted:

I think it could be argued that they are both, like some sort of wave-particle duality!

:golfclap: I did not even see that coming, well played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alyandon
Dec 9, 2001
Poster of the Month for July!
Fun Shoe

Lucid Dream posted:

Well, carry on then!

• Locked thread