Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm kinda pissed I only got half of a pretty good (Yes I do admit Slott can sometimes do something good) Ms. Marvel team-up only so some bullshit Spider event garbage can fill in the other half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Christos Gage is probably who you should thank for the Ms. Marvel part. And that twitter poo poo is terrible. Time to not pay for a Slott book ever again.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

This from the same guy who went out of his way to make fun of Speedball turning into Pennance. Grimdark is terrible and dumb... until I do it, then it's okay.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I really hope that Spidey Super Stories is not the next stop :argh:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Slott: Here's an event where an evil Spider-Vampire is going to go between Spider Universes until he gets to 616, killing and devouring people to gain powers/strength. This is clearly the beginning of the story where things will change and have "shocking reveals" which will be undone as the series goes.

Audience: Fine but you better include every single universe I want.

Slott: Fine, I've even included the Spider-Man and the Amazing Friends universe.

Audience: Well you could kill every Spider-Man except that one :argh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

Slott: Here's an event where an evil Spider-Vampire is going to go between Spider Universes until he gets to 616, killing and devouring people to gain powers/strength. This is clearly the beginning of the story where things will change and have "shocking reveals" which will be undone as the series goes.

Slott: Fine, I've even included the Spider-Man and the Amazing Friends universe.

Oh yeah, like all those other pointless shock value deaths that Dan Slott reversed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Lurdiak posted:

Oh yeah, like all those other pointless shock value deaths that Dan Slott reversed.

Yes? Like Peter was totally dead, and Hobgoblin was dead, and Silver Sable was killed, and it's only a matter of time before Smythe comes back. Other than like Marla everyone else has basically come back or been given an out to come back.

Even Spock is coming back.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes and those are character people want to use again (for whatever reason), I don't think that is going to happen with the AU Spideys.

Though I agree that what where you expected when you wanted all them in this?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I think most people in this thread don't want Dan Slott writing Spider-man. I know I don't. And precisely no one asked for Spider-verse. On a related note, I hated Slott trying to shoehorn his Morlun crap into a much better story (Hickman's new Avengers).

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Disney asked for Spider-Verse and that's why Marvel are doing it.

And Slott isn't shoehorning anything into anybody elses books, Hickman will acknowledge if he wants. It's why nobody is caring about what's going on in SIXIS unless they want to.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, remember that Spider-Man cartoon with Iceman and Firestar you probably saw as a kid that was light-hearted? Know how it ends? The characters get brutally murdered and their pet howls in despair.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuu, Slott, etc. :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

vegeta dentata posted:

Yeeeaaaaaaa... gently caress this guy

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hahahahaha

I somehow think it's possible to make the villain bad without resorting to slaughtering lighthearted cartoon characters you hack.

V----Wait what?

Squirrel Girl, as written by Dan Slott posted:

"Maybe it's just me... but I'm not crazy about super hero stories where everything's all dark and moody. Personally, I like the ones where good guys fight giant apes on the moon and stuff, remember those? I do. That was back when comic book worlds were places you wanted to escape to... not from."

If somebody has the page scan, they should post it to Slott's twitter and see how he contorts to justify his position. What happened to the Dan Slott who wrote Spider-Man/Human Torch? I miss him.

Edit: And in the preview of ASM 8 Spider-Girl's family is apprently getting killed. gently caress you, Dan Slott, you sold out your own principles.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 9, 2014

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Other than New Warriors, Spider-Verse is really the only comic book storyline I'm following right now (I came on board for Spider-Gwen,) so my future habits are going to be pretty heavily influenced by where this all winds up.

The way Morlun rubbed out cartoon Spider-Man does not exactly fill me with confidence. It was just too gleefully cruel, like something from the mid-nineties. I've already told myself that if Mayday gets fridged, I'm done with Dan Slott comics for the rest of my life.

E: Christ, that ASM 8 preview. My reconciliation with comics doesn't look like it's going to last much longer.

Castomira fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 9, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Spider-Gwen is going to end up in the Hopeless/Land Spider-Woman ongoing. Nothing Slott can do would be a fate worse for that character.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
quote is not edit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

The evil Spider Vampire going between universes to murder alternate variations people liked is a stupid idea and using it specifically in this fashion just underlines it.

I really doubt everything will be undone when most of it involves alternate universes who they can break without worrying about having to put back together. Anything 616 related maybe, sure.

I mean this is quite literally a DC Comics idea, and I don't mean that in a favorable way.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 9, 2014

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's also Slott adding that picture to his twitter and smugly declaring "Heh, killed your childhood? Didn't I do that already?".

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

It's almost like the evil Spider Vampire going between universers to murder alternate variations people liked is a stupid idea and using it specifically in this fashion just underlines it.

I really doubt everything will be undone when most of it involves alternate universes who they can break without worrying about having to put back together. Anything 616 related maybe, sure.

It's as bout as dumb as anything else in comics really. It's not as if anybody was going :argh: Hickman the incursions/cabal/whatever killed off the one universe I cared about :argh: And it's Slott which means you know there's a reset button where Peter saves everybody at the end.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's also Slott adding that picture to his twitter and smugly declaring "Heh, killed your childhood? Didn't I do that already?".

His picture is always different Spider-Man characters and the user name is a dumb Halloween username that everybody does on Twitter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

It's as bout as dumb as anything else in comics really. It's not as if anybody was going :argh: Hickman the incursions/cabal/whatever killed off the one universe I cared about :argh: And it's Slott which means you know there's a reset button where Peter saves everybody at the end.

It really isn't. "Hey guys, what if a villain went through and killed a bunch of recognizable alternate universes" is dumb because it is intentionally playing off of audience favor to generate anger that a less-recognizable setting wouldn't. It is, as I said, a DC comics style idea.

Even if it is undone (which I doubt because they have the convenient alternate universe toybox explanation) they're still using brutal murder of lighthearted characters for no reason but shock value.

Waterhaul posted:

His picture is always different Spider-Man characters and the user name is a dumb Halloween username that everybody does on Twitter.

Do you really think the combination of this issue and those choices was 100% a coincidence?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

It really isn't. "Hey guys, what if a villain went through and killed a bunch of recognizable alternate universes" is dumb because it is intentionally playing off of audience favor to generate anger that a less-recognizable setting wouldn't. It is, as I said, a DC comics style idea.

Hickman did this like 2 weeks ago and no one complained about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.

Then it's dumb there too. I haven't been following Avengers because I haven't really been enjoying Hickman's run very much. However Hickman is also a better writer than Slott so I'm guessing it was less gleeful fanboy baiting.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

This has been the only one where they've been killed though, most have escaped/teamed up/whatever. It's no different from New Avengers at the moment which has also killed/destroyed established characters like Squadron Supreme in defense of a big multiverse threat. It's a Marvel thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

This has been the only one where they've been killed though, most have escaped/teamed up/whatever.

What about the weird Spider Power Armor universe?

Waterhaul posted:

It's no different from New Avengers at the moment which has also killed/destroyed established characters like Squadron Supreme in defense of a big multiverse threat. It's a Marvel thing.

Specifically killing off one of the more lighthearted and silly universes doesn't really feel like a Marvel thing to me, no. It feels very much like "hey, remember the time Wendy and Marvel were murdered by Wonder Dog?"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I would say you guys were right if Hickman had brutally murdered the super friends planet while Krypto watches from afar and whines.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I'd forgotten about the Spider Armor one, which again people didn't care about because it wasn't faux outrage.

ImpAtom posted:

Specifically killing off one of the more lighthearted and silly universes doesn't really feel like a Marvel thing to me, no. It feels very much like "hey, remember the time Wendy and Marvel were murdered by Wonder Dog?"

Fun, young and more hip Ultimate Peter Parker was brutally murdered in front of his family while his nemesis laughed/won.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I'd forgotten about the Spider Armor one, which again people didn't care about because it wasn't faux outrage.

Why would you assume it is faux outrage? It's really insulting you to to go "no, see, you're not actually having feelings, you're just looking to be angry!"

Waterhaul posted:

Fun, young and more hip Ultimate Peter Parker was brutally murdered in front of his family while his nemesis laughed/won.

You're really stretching with that point. Ultimate Spider-Man was 'hip' but it wasn't a specifically lighthearted and silly universe. it was frequently grim, or dark, and one where death was (supposed to) have more serious consequences.

The sequence we're discussing literally has Morlun talking about how this world is kinder and gentler than most and doesn't have words to describe the atrocities done to it and ends with the brutally slaughtered bodies of children's cartoon characters being whined over by their pet dog. (And "children's cartoon" is again emphasized by Morlun's dialogue.)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Morlun laughing that the universe is kinder and gentler than most, and that they don't even have words for concepts like "kill" or "death", is what pushed it from "Dan Slott is killing off previous incarnations of Spider-Man for cheap thrills" to "Dan Slot is killing off previous incarnations of Spider-Man for cheap thrills while he calls them retarded."

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Waterhaul posted:

That's nowhere near the same. Ultimate's death was poignant and treated with respect and hell, you could argue that by saving May he made up for his greatest mistake of not saving Ben. Plus his funeral was incredibly well written. You can't even begin to compare that to slaughtering a bunch of fun cartoon characters for no reason and then going "Got a problem with that nerds? :smug:?" on Twitter.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

Why would you assume it is faux outrage? It's really insulting you to to go "no, see, you're not actually having feelings, you're just looking to be angry!"

You're really stretching with that point. Ultimate Spider-Man was 'hip' but it wasn't a specifically lighthearted and silly universe. it was frequently grim, or dark, and one where death was (supposed to) have more serious consequences.

The sequence we're discussing literally has Morlun talking about how this world is kinder and gentler than most and doesn't have words to describe the atrocities done to it and ends with the brutally slaughtered bodies of children's cartoon characters being whined over by their pet dog. (And "children's cartoon" is again emphasized by Morlun's dialogue.)

Because nobody cares about Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which had like 20 or so episodes over 30 years ago. It's just more :argh: Dan Slott :argh: as if anybody expected any different this many years into his run.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

Because nobody cares about Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends which had like 20 or so episodes over 30 years ago. It's just more :argh: Dan Slott :argh: as if anybody expected any different this many years into his run.

Slott is specifically targeting the people who have fond memories about that show and laughing at them while he does it.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Senor Candle posted:

Slott is specifically targeting the people who have fond memories about that show and laughing at them while he does it.

Both yourself and OldTennisCourt are taking an offhand comment of "how many childhoods have i supposedly killed now" way too personally. Dan Slott is not laughing at you, he's enjoying writing comics.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I grew up watching reruns of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. So did a lot of comic book fans. There are constant references to it in a number of comics, including Ultimate Spider-Man. (It's arguably the only reason Liz Allen ended up as Firestar) Your argument of "nobody cares about it" is not only false, it's really easy to prove false when comic writers and comic fans alike make references to it.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Waterhaul posted:

Both yourself and OldTennisCourt are taking an offhand comment of "how many childhoods have i supposedly killed now" way too personally. Dan Slott is not laughing at you, he's enjoying writing comics.

He changed his name to Dan Slaughterhouse, made that comment, threw a sick burn at that dumb ol cartoon in the comic, and then changed his twitter picture to a picture from the show. It's pretty obvious he's mocking people for being annoyed man.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Waterhaul posted:

I honestly don't care about the old cartoon so he isn't actually laughing at me. But he did this specifically to make some people angry.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

OldTennisCourt posted:

He changed his name to Dan Slaughterhouse, made that comment, threw a sick burn at that dumb ol cartoon in the comic, and then changed his twitter picture to a picture from the show. It's pretty obvious he's mocking people for being annoyed man.

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Waterhaul posted:

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

Look, it was just unnecessary and loving dumb. It's literally the exact same as that awful Wendy and Marvin garbage. It's Slott using lighthearted characters deaths to go "OH WOW, THIS GUY SUUUUUUUUUUUURE IS EVIL, WOWZERS GUYS, DON'T YA JUST HATE HIM NOW?" which is how a hack writes villains. The little burn was also an obvious jab too. It's a lovely scene that did nothing but piss people off because it was a ham handed way to get people angry.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Look, it was just unnecessary and loving dumb. It's literally the exact same as that awful Wendy and Marvin garbage. It's Slott using lighthearted characters deaths to go "OH WOW, THIS GUY SUUUUUUUUUUUURE IS EVIL, WOWZERS GUYS, DON'T YA JUST HATE HIM NOW?" which is how a hack writes villains. The little burn was also an obvious jab too. It's a lovely scene that did nothing but piss people off because it was a ham handed way to get people angry.

That's down right insulting.

Hack writers wouldn't even pull that, this is angry 14 year old fan-fiction level where Micky and Minnie mouse get offed while pluto looks on and cries.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Again, are you seriously wholeheartedly arguing that he chose that particular picture (especially in conjunction with that particular name) with no forethought or care at all and it's a complete coincidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

ImpAtom posted:

Again, are you seriously wholeheartedly arguing that he chose that particular picture (especially in conjunction with that particular name) with no forethought or care at all and it's a complete coincidence?

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

Like that was his username before the book came out, he just changed the avatar, which as he's done for the last few years will be changed again when the next issue comes out.

• Locked thread