Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Ground pepper and condoms.

Condoms do apparently make excellent rifle covers. They'll keep the barrel clean and dry, and then you can shoot right through them if you need too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

shallowj posted:

all the descriptions online of Operation Paul Bunyan (in response to the "Axe-Murder incident") mention SF guys strapping claymores to their chests.. probable exaggeration or serious SF bravado?

Apparently they were South Korean SF, which is a special brand of crazy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It ended with an officer noticing and losing his voice yelling at everyone involved. I don't know how you would even begin to write up a reprimand for that kind of thing.

Not sure about a reprimand but the OSHA thread had the safety update briefing the incident spawned.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Azipod posted:

Apparently they were South Korean SF, which is a special brand of crazy.
Strapping a claymore to yourself seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to the possibility of being captured by North Koreans.

PittTheElder posted:

Condoms do apparently make excellent rifle covers. They'll keep the barrel clean and dry, and then you can shoot right through them if you need too.
I've also heard the same Stalingrad story, only the shipment was entirely left boots.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

It ended with an officer noticing and losing his voice yelling at everyone involved. I don't know how you would even begin to write up a reprimand for that kind of thing.
It honestly does seem to be mind-blowingly stupid. I'm not sure how it would ever be regarded as a good idea after getting to see one fire.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

SkySteak posted:

Found this, not 100% sure its true. Did stuff like this actually happen?

It's believable in the sense that stuff like this happened, but instant coffee and filters had been invented and mass produced some 15 years prior and as far as I know all the major powers used that for their militaries when they could. The United States is known for requisitioning every pound available from the G. Washington Instant Coffee Company.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AceRimmer posted:

I've also heard the same Stalingrad story, only the shipment was entirely left boots.

Sounds like it's being conflated with another Soviet story, that a factory produced nothing but left shoes in order to meet its monthly quota. The order didn't specify making pairs of shoes, and since it's easier to configure the equipment to only make one kind of shoe...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I was going to say, it's probably way more efficient to have one factory make right boots, and another make left boots.

In the Soviet Union, Twix is boots.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PittTheElder posted:

I was going to say, it's probably way more efficient to have one factory make right boots, and another make left boots.

In the Soviet Union, Twix is boots.

I can't imagine it would be, since you'd need another facility to box the boots. Probably better to consolidate that in one place. Also, in World War II, if one of those factories gets bombed or captured you suddenly have a factory that's only producing useless singleton boots that can't be paired with the other factory's production.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah there's no way that a factory would produce only left-sided boots and would ship them like that. Once you factor in all the different sizes and models, trying to pair and distribute them would be a complete poo poo-show even during peacetime. And I can't imagine any meaningful increase in efficiency from running a single pattern in two factories versus one factory running two patterns.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Kaal posted:

Yeah there's no way that a factory would produce only left-sided boots and would ship them like that. Once you factor in all the different sizes and models, trying to pair and distribute them would be a complete poo poo-show even during peacetime. And I can't imagine any meaningful increase in efficiency from running a single pattern in two factories versus one factory running two patterns.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that separating boots into artificial classes like "left" and "right" is a decadent western bourgeois affectation. In a true communist state, all boots are equal.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sullat posted:

Besides, I'm pretty sure that separating boots into artificial classes like "left" and "right" is a decadent western bourgeois affectation. In a true communist state, all boots are equal.

All boots are equally uncomfortable, comrade, da?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All boots are made on production lines easily adaptable to make AK-47 magazines.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Slavvy posted:

All boots are made on production lines easily adaptable to make AK-47 magazines.

Boots double as emergency rations.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Footwraps

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

wikipedia posted:

In the Russian army, footwraps remained in use for tasks requiring the wear of heavy boots until 2013, because they were considered to offer a better fit with standard-issue boots. Their use is to be abandoned by the end of 2013.

"...a better fit with standard-issue boots [circa 1944]."

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

See? Foot roll up.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Frostwerks posted:

All boots are equally uncomfortable, comrade, da?

One size fits none

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

Antwerp is a cause so lost that I'm half-expecting to see it rescued at the last minute by a photogenic dog, but nobody seems to have told the Royal Naval Division.

If any photogenic dog would save Antwerp, it would be Patrasche.
This past weekend, Antwerp constructed a pontoon bridge over the Scheldt to commemorate the War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTfNZSu7dAA

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Comfort is a sign of weakness and decadence. The worker's feet should be hard and durable, like Russian turnip.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Some hikers I know still swear by footwraps instead of socks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hunterhr posted:

The 'Smoking me be hazardous to your health' warnings that started appearing on packs during Vietnam tend to show up a lot in memoirs as a source of great amusement to men who are trying to avoid being blown up/shot on the reg.

My father saw one of those labels for the first time in a C-119 over Norway, during a night-time combat-equipment jump. He's said that the whole stick was still giggling when they made the jump a few minutes later.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

MrYenko posted:

My father saw one of those labels for the first time in a C-119 over Norway, during a night-time combat-equipment jump. He's said that the whole stick was still giggling when they made the jump a few minutes later.

The VC really were loving tenacious.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, is there a book you guys would recommend that explains North Korea? As in, talks about how the country came to be and how hosed it is right now, how it works internally, etc. North Korea seriously looks like something out of a Tom Clancy book.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a book you guys would recommend that explains North Korea? As in, talks about how the country came to be and how hosed it is right now, how it works internally, etc. North Korea seriously looks like something out of a Tom Clancy book.

First of all, you need a quick introduction video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEqc6H4RXos

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Azran posted:

Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea is a good book for learning about how everyday people cope. It follows several defectors from their lives in North Korea through the path that brought them to South Korea, and their experiences coping with life there.

The Aquariums of Pyongyang was highly recommended to me several times; I never got around to reading it, but it's supposed to be a great perspective on life in the prison system.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Azran posted:

Under the Loving Care of the Fatherly Leader is really good, though it obviously won't include any recent developments. I found it to be incredibly informative, though I found it to be quite dense. If you're looking for a quick overview, it's not the book.

I would also recommend The Cleanest Race. From looking at the Amazon page, I see that it's been updated to include information about Kim Jong-Un, and while I can't vouch for that part of it, when I read it a few years back, it was quite informative as well.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

my dad posted:

First of all, you need a quick introduction video:

Also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoSFQb5HVk

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Pyongyang by Guy Delise is a great graphic novel (graphic non-fiction?) of his time in North Korea as an animator for a French company. It's a relatively quick read but one that stays with you about how really hosed up things are over there.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have no idea how accurate it is how whatever but the Orphan Master's Son is pretty fantastic.

edit - apparently it won the pulitzer?? Well I'll be damned

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

AceRimmer posted:

Strapping a claymore to yourself seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to the possibility of being captured by North Koreans.

I'm pretty sure this is a mutation of the Soviet joke where the right hand glove factory challenged the left hand glove factory to a production race.

Slavvy posted:

"...a better fit with standard-issue boots [circa 1944]."

When foot wraps were scheduled to be canceled, basically everyone complained, so they got to stay.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 9, 2014

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

7 steps to wrap foot. No need step 5.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wdarkk posted:

Wouldn't that be carcinogenic as hell?

So's wood smoke.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

SkySteak posted:

Found this, not 100% sure its true. Did stuff like this actually happen?

According to my Grandfather absolutely. In Vietnam they used to cook "Everything stew" in a k-pot (Steel Helmet) and one of the primary ingredients was rat which they had shot via means of basically jury rigging home made rat shot into a 45 ACP round fired from a grease gun (Not a literal grease gun, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun).

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rhymenoserous posted:

According to my Grandfather absolutely. In Vietnam they used to cook "Everything stew" in a k-pot (Steel Helmet) and one of the primary ingredients was rat which they had shot via means of basically jury rigging home made rat shot into a 45 ACP round fired from a grease gun (Not a literal grease gun, this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_submachine_gun).

How was rat anyway.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

shallowj posted:

all the descriptions online of Operation Paul Bunyan (in response to the "Axe-Murder incident") mention SF guys strapping claymores to their chests.. probable exaggeration or serious SF bravado?

Possibly, but maybe not. Prior to the 80's SK was effectively a military dictatorship so you could imagine how screwy the military was in terms of ideology. NK wasn't the absolute laughingstock/depressing humanitarian disaster it is now, so simply ignoring them wasn't something advisable.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Here are the Englishmen in that one company with all the Englishmen in it.

Wilhelm Broxolme aus Linken (Lincoln?)

Othmill Schmidt aus Engellandt

Thomis Harttung Engellandt

Peter Kerre aus Engellendt

Heinrich Poole aus Engellandt

Thomas Reems aus Engellandt

For some reason, they're all pikemen.

Edit: Also, the Lieutenant's a Dane and there's a dude there last name Pamzkofsky. No place of origin given, but :poland:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 9, 2014

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Any Irish names showing up? I'm just curious because the standard procedure for Irish mercenaries was that they were recruited at home by travelling agents into already existing Irish brigades. Whereas those English guys seem to have just enlisted in a German unit?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

Any Irish names showing up? I'm just curious because the standard procedure for Irish mercenaries was that they were recruited at home by travelling agents into already existing Irish brigades. Whereas those English guys seem to have just enlisted in a German unit?
Not in this one. It's a pity, but muster rolls are somewhat hard to come by before (in Saxony) '81.

I'm not sure how these guys got where they are. Although, I did read a letter once by a dude who was deserting (if you're literate, it's customary to leave a goodbye letter) who said that since the lieutenant who recruited him was leaving the regiment he felt no obligation to stay, so I'm guessing personal ties, feudal ties, and happenstance.

Or you just hop on Soldnr and see who's hiring in your area.

Edit: Broxolme is listed as "reformed Fendrich" ("reformed" means "fired"), so now I'm wondering if he and the other Englishmen are remnants of some English-heavy previous company?

Edit 2: God, there's no way a German speaker could spell that on the first try, so now I'm imagining Broxolme walking the Musterschreiber through it carefully one morning...

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Scottish mercenaries. The city is full with places named after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Scottish mercenaries. The city is full with places named after them.

I was just going to ask, wasn't there a rather notable amount of Scottish mercenaries running about in the 30YW? I seem to remember there being a whole Scottish company/regiment/I don't know the right word for the size of guys employed by either the Danes or Swedes, and their commander seemed to be something of a big deal.

• Locked thread