Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Shelf Adventure posted:

I think comparing "not having a reliable power source" to "not having a spare pen" is pretty disingenuous.

Yeah you're way more likely to run into a situation where you have no pen and nobody else has a spare one for you than one where your college in a first world nation forgot to pay their power bill. Even colleges in goddamn Africa tend to be the sorts of places where you can expect some kind of reliable access to electrical power. Maybe even internet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
From the Yos thread

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1893116150/nope-live-free

quote:

Simple and elegant magnetic privacy shield for iMacs, Macbooks, laptops, and desktops
Goddamn

Alan Smithee has a new favorite as of 00:44 on Oct 9, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

magnets

they are literally magnets

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
'we don't want little jimmy to get spied on while he's playing with the ipad, better put a magnet over the camera'

*little jimmy puts magnet in mouth and chokes to death*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pathetic little tramp posted:

'we don't want little jimmy to get spied on while he's playing with the ipad, better put a magnet over the camera'

*little jimmy puts magnet in mouth and chokes to death*

If his parents backed that project then we'll just chock it up as a victory for the gene pool.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was about to ask whatever happened to a thing and tape, but

quote:

One magnet of Nope is attached to your computer with thin 3M VHB tape.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

In case you aren't mad yet

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I sincerely hope they run off with the money.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

What could possibly go wrong from sticking a magnet to your computer's camera to prevent spying? :downs:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Chomp8645 posted:

Why? It'll cost them like 100 bucks to buy all the magnets wholesale.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

What could possibly go wrong from sticking a magnet to your computer's camera to prevent spying? :downs:

If you wipe your HD the NSA will never see you naked

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's much more easier to feign hardship or mental illness and tell everyone you wished you had "done things differently goodbye"

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Its a matter of principle. These people don't just deserve to get a couple magnets and some 3M double sided tape in the mail, they deserve to get nothing. Its the only way they will learn and we can finally, as a society, end this crowd funding madness.

Also like ten percent of these people are going to hand their iPad to a baby who will promptly eat the magnets and die, so... yeah, we should probably not have that happen.

EDIT: Has anyone mentioned Ritot is now on 'forever funding'?

MrAptronym has a new favorite as of 02:34 on Oct 9, 2014

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Check out his other projects. They're all magnet and cell phone/tablet related. And the ones he didn't cancel are all massively overfunded.

But Nope is an achievement. It's literally a pair of neodymium disc magnets that cost pennies apiece and tape you can buy in 1/4" 60-yard rolls for $22 apiece that's probably good for thousands of Nopes.

It's still got 40 days of funding left.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Chomp8645 posted:

No matter what happens they're ripping off their backers so w/e really.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
For a second I thought it was like those 3M privacy screens, only attached via magnets, but no it's literally just a loving neodymium wafer the side of a dime :psyduck:.

gently caress it, I'm gonna start a kickstarter for a device that helps you find objects in the dark that you can attatch to yourself via sew-on Velcro. And then buy an assload of cheap, small led flashlights and Velcro from china and laugh all the way to the bank.

EDIT: Goddamn it, phone posting is hard

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 06:00 on Oct 9, 2014

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Don Gato posted:

and Leigh ask the way to the bank.

Smartphone poster.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any good kickstarters, gofundmes, or other crowdsource things going on right now?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Megera posted:

The latest fusion of fashion and functionality with external cat ear speakers and LED lights.

Guys, let's put external speakers on top of headphones! We're surely not missing the purpose of headphones!

I know people who absolutely need to let you want what they are listening to. They have every song they listen to broadcasted to all social networks and they always buy the loudest headphones just so people around them would have a chance to appreciate their musical taste. Those things will add a whole new dimension to being an annoying twat, as they'll allow being a loud annoying twat.

E: antispy magnets must be the stupidest thing in this whole thread. I'm really angry that people give them money.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Oct 9, 2014

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
don't strong magnets completely gently caress up expensive electronics?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fatkraken posted:

No you see that would just add an extra layer of privacy protection so it's a feature not a problem.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The kid 35sec in the video is like "gently caress off, please, be gone"

This kickstarter is honestly genius, I hope the guy delivers and enjoys his extra 40,000$, he deserved it.

e: I was wondering if it was a clever laundering thing and went through the comments, its pages of legit gullible apple people who don't know about dealextreme, it's amazing.

unpacked robinhood has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Oct 9, 2014

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Fatkraken posted:

They only mess up magnetic drives (HDD and Tape) and CRTs. (Unless you get REALLY strong magnets) and even then this magnet isn't strong enough to matter, or close enough to either of those things.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Paladinus posted:

I know people who absolutely need to let you want what they are listening to. They have every song they listen to broadcasted to all social networks and they always buy the loudest headphones just so people around them would have a chance to appreciate their musical taste. Those things will add a whole new dimension to being an annoying twat, as they'll allow being a loud annoying twat.

E: antispy magnets must be the stupidest thing in this whole thread. I'm really angry that people give them money.

I knew we were in for a treat when the description stated that the project was "started by two UC Berkely graduates with a dream". The rear end in a top hat canary of Dipshit Mines, ladies and gents.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
also the best thing with those cat headphones are the fact that, for an extra 6k usd, you get nothing else but COLOUR-SWITCHING LEDs!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MrAptronym posted:

They only mess up magnetic drives (HDD and Tape) and CRTs. (Unless you get REALLY strong magnets) and even then this magnet isn't strong enough to matter, or close enough to either of those things.

I'm pretty drat sure I've seen a magnet do funky things to an LCD display too... (maybe it was REALLY strong) but yeah.
In theory these are too small to matter.

But then again ipads have pretty small hard drives, right? I dunno, I wouldn't want to test it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

iPads aren't all solid-state? (Also, they already have magnets in them for attaching the covers.)

Subjunctive has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Subjunctive posted:

iPads aren't all solid-state?

I guess they probably are. I figured they used the ipod hard drives but even ipods are probably all solid state these days. :corsair:

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And now for some good Kickstarter news: On Sale at Last: Kano, the Charming Kit for Building Your Own Computer

This is seriously one of the coolest things for kids I've seen in a while.

You can get an r-pi kit on amazon for like half this cost.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

:psyduck:

Also, MacBooks have had magnetic closures and magnetic power couplings since like 2005, and some of them still come with platter drives, so I don't know why everyone suddenly thinks that some retarded privacy magnets are gonna do anything except waste some idiots' money.

You dumb guys. :allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

:psyduck:

Also, MacBooks have had magnetic closures and magnetic power couplings since like 2005, and some of them still come with platter drives, so I don't know why everyone suddenly thinks that some retarded privacy magnets are gonna do anything except waste some idiots' money.

You dumb guys. :allears:

Pick what? What are you confused about? I didn't contradict myself.

Just because macbooks have magnets doesn't mean they're immune to all magnets, you dumb guy. They intentionally use small, weak magnets and they test their placement and design around it. That doesn't mean some random jackoff adding a magnet somewhere is inherently benign.

And thank you, some of them do still come with platter drives.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

MrAptronym posted:

EDIT: Has anyone mentioned Ritot is now on 'forever funding'?

The weird part is, they keep extending their fund raising, but they haven't raised any additional money. I think it's been stuck at around 1.4 million for the last 2 or 3 weeks. So moving to forever funding isn't netting them any additional money. They also doubled the price of their watches. But again, it's doing nothing to move that funding needle.

Is this the biggest outright crowdfunding fraud or have there been worse?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Krispy Kareem posted:

Star Citizen joke.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Pick what? What are you confused about? I didn't contradict myself.

Just because macbooks have magnets doesn't mean they're immune to all magnets, you dumb guy. They intentionally use small, weak magnets and they test their placement and design around it. That doesn't mean some random jackoff adding a magnet somewhere is inherently benign.

And thank you, some of them do still come with platter drives.

The magnets are strong enough to hold the clamshell shut pretty tight, so I somehow doubt that a button magnet the size of a webcam hole's gonna make a huge difference. Also, one of them sits right on top of the hard drive in computers that have them. You'd need a magnet from a scientific supplier to do any appreciable damage to a computer these days. And I was referring to the part where you said that tablets come with spinning platter drives.

Spazzle posted:

You can get an r-pi kit on amazon for like half this cost.

No poo poo, but try introducing a young child to computer construction and programming with one. This is a polished, kid-friendly package with an OS and development environment and supporting materials specifically designed to get very young children comfortable with computer science and coding. It's a well-designed product with a clear and valuable purpose and if all you noticed is that it has an r-pi at the core and "I can get those dirt cheap on the internet" then you're really failing to see the forest for the trees. Also it implies that all of the extra "teaching little kids to code" stuff that comes in the box is somehow valueless.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

And I was referring to the part where you said that tablets come with spinning platter drives.

Yeah what about it? :doh:

I said the magnets would probably screw up platter drives, if they had them. Somebody else said they thought they were all solid state now. I said oh okay, I guess they are solid state, I figured they used ipod platters but I guess even ipods are probably solid state now and apple probably doesn't use any platters anymore, because I don't keep up with the latest version of everything apple. Solid state is definitely cheaper than it ever was in the past, so I could see them using it exclusively now.

then you went all :smuggo: :psyduck: but still haven't explained why.

You also stated that they do use some platter drives so that's even more confusing as to what you have a problem with.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

You'd need a magnet from a scientific supplier to do any appreciable damage to a computer these days.

I feel strongly like this is bullshit. I'm not about to toxx myself or destroy my own HDD to prove it, though.

Strong magnets, sure. But scientific supplier?

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Oct 9, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paladinus posted:

I've seen headphones that are basically 3" speakers held to a person's ear. There's no muffle or anything and you can hear whatever lovely music they're listening to even if they're on the opposite end of the bus from you.

Subjunctive posted:

iPads aren't all solid-state? (Also, they already have magnets in them for attaching the covers.)

I thought iPads had flash cards in them?

Krispy Kareem posted:

The weird part is, they keep extending their fund raising, but they haven't raised any additional money. I think it's been stuck at around 1.4 million for the last 2 or 3 weeks. So moving to forever funding isn't netting them any additional money. They also doubled the price of their watches. But again, it's doing nothing to move that funding needle.

The rich rear end in a top hat who did the whole "send my daughter to programming camp GURL POWER" scam got less money but was far worse because her family has a history of trying those scams, and she basically exploited the gently caress out of her own kids.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah what about it? :doh:

Somebody else said they thought they were all solid state now. I said oh okay, I guess they are solid state, I figured they used ipod platters but I guess even ipods are probably solid state now and apple probably doesn't use any platters anymore, because I don't keep up with the latest version of everything apple. Solid state is definitely cheaper than it ever was in the past, so I could see them using it exclusively now.

then you went all :smuggo: :psyduck: but still haven't explained why.

You also stated that they do use some platter drives so that's even more confusing as to what you have a problem with.

Dude. Duuuuude. Smartphones and tablets have never used platter drives. They've used flash memory from the beginning. This isn't an "Apple thing" and it sure as heck isn't a "latest version" thing.

The "some still have platter drives" comment is about notebook computers. What I meant to say was that Apple still makes one model that comes with a platter drive, but it's been shipping notebooks with magnetic latches and Mag-safe plugs since the mid-2000s, when all of their notebooks had them. Hence they weren't a hazard. Apologies if I was unclear.

quote:

I feel strongly like this is bullshit. I'm not about to toxx myself or destroy my own HDD to prove it, though.

Strong magnets, sure. But scientific supplier?

You'd need a strong magnet of a certain size (I'd guess probably a bar of at least a few inches, depending on the strength of the magnet). Those aren't really available at your average store. I was thinking along the lines of the sort of magnet you might find in a physics classroom, that's all. And even still, I've heard that you need an electromagnet to wipe a HDD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Dude. Duuuuude. Smartphones and tablets have never used platter drives. They've used flash memory from the beginning. This isn't an "Apple thing" and it sure as heck isn't a "latest version" thing.

The "some still have platter drives" comment is about notebook computers. What I meant to say was that Apple still makes one model that comes with a platter drive, but it's been shipping notebooks with magnetic latches and Mag-safe plugs since the mid-2000s, when all of their notebooks had them. Hence they weren't a hazard. Apologies if I was unclear.

You'd need a strong magnet of a certain size (I'd guess probably a bar of at least a few inches, depending on the strength of the magnet). Those aren't really available at your average store. I was thinking along the lines of the sort of magnet you might find in a physics classroom, that's all. And even still, I've heard that you need an electromagnet to wipe a HDD.

Still don't know what your "pick one" :smuggo: was all about.

Dude. Duuuuude. You can just say "hey they've never used platters in any smartphones, so that there ya go." and you're done. No need to talk down to me.

Mag-safe plugs are pretty weak magnets. And they only plug in one side, so you could have a platter on the other side. And that doesn't mean a stronger magnet wouldn't do harm.

I dunno, I've seen pretty small hand sized toy magnets for stacking metal bars on and making shapes with, sold at stores like loving Spencers, which can absolutely completely disrupt an LCD display, much less a CRT. Would it do permanent HDD damage? Its going to depend upon how strong it is exactly and how close it is. Generally safer not to risk it. Probably fine, yeah, but if a piece of tape can do the same thing... why the risk?

Especially if the magnet has to be secured with tape anyways :cheeky:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

the only thing dumber than those magnets right now is this loving thread

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
this thread's starting to loving suck jesus christ

here's a dumb kickstarter - send the dude a hi-res photo of you and he'll take a selfie of himself holding up a picture of your face over his:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/selfie/the-surrogate-selfies-project-you-and-me-in-nyc?ref=nav_search

a great conversation piece, he says; sample conversation:

"what... what the hell is this?"

"it's a surrogate selfie. i paid money for it."

"i'm leaving you and taking the children"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
first actual reward at 45$, lol

what about Pumpkin Passes Away

quote:

This book is the true to life story of Pumpkins death and an updated look at pet death, including cremation. For Children.