Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

bunnyofdoom posted:

You mean Thawn?

Yeah, I forgot how they renamed him. Which is more credence to my combining theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Is the cop who gets killed by the weather guy really dead? They had a character actor for that role.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

overtone posted:

Is the cop who gets killed by the weather guy really dead? They had a character actor for that role.

I would think the timing of his death sets him up for a potential powered return.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I would think the timing of his death sets him up for a potential powered return.

Possibly, but hiring a That Guy From That Thing for a pilot so the audience brings along some pre-existing attachment when you kill him off isn't a new thing either. Stargate Atlantis killed Robert Patrick in their first episode.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really don't like Barry's unrequited thing for his not-sister, but other than that this show looks pretty good.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

There's a certain amount of CW-ness that's mildly troublesome. "You can't tell Iris", Barry getting Flash-zoned and being mopey about it, that sort of thing. But I can live with it as long as it's just a minor component that doesn't become the focus of the show. As long as the show is mostly Team Flash vs. fun supervillains? I'm there.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 9, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So, I don't remember this from the pilot version, but I just watched it again, and at the very end when he is looking at the paper, there is briefly lightning around Wells as the show ends. It could just be a show ending stinger of some sort, or?

---

Yeah, the don't tell Iris thing is super cliche, but it is personally the only sour note for me in what is already one of my favorite shows. After one episode.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Edit for one more:

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 9, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
That's just coming from that holographic display emitter thingy.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Lord Bude posted:

That's just coming from that holographic display emitter thingy.

He's watching it for awhile without any of that happening. Then there is lightning sound and the two pics(added one)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

King Burgundy posted:

He's watching it for awhile without any of that happening. Then there is lightning sound and the two pics(added one)

That's literally just a screenwipe transitioning into the fade to black, dude. You're crazy with your conspiracy theories.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
The Pilot had me grinning most of the time, I am sold on this show so hard.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

King Burgundy posted:

Edit for one more:

Reminded me of the blur in the room with Barry's mom.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Baby Broomer posted:

I am sold on this show so hard.

Yup. Even if it ends up sucking (which seems pretty unlikely given the track record of the creative team) it should be fun as hell.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While I don't think the pilot was quite as strong a narrative as Arrow's opener, since Flash had to cram the origin story in there while Arrow let it build up over a season (and then some more), that was still a good start. So while I hope they didn't just blow the big plot twist right in the pilot (I know its unlikely, but still) I'm definitely looking forward to more.

What's Flash's equivalent to Green Arrow's boxing glove arrow as the dumb thing they should put in but never will because its dumb?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Cosmic Treadmill.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Grodd (I know).

Or the Top.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Grodd.

Or the Top.

Grodd is loving awesome :colbert:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Grodd is loving awesome :colbert:

I used to think he would not fit outside of comics and cartoons for mainstream audiences, but the recent success of Planet of the Apes may have changed my mind.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

While I don't think the pilot was quite as strong a narrative as Arrow's opener, since Flash had to cram the origin story in there while Arrow let it build up over a season (and then some more), that was still a good start. So while I hope they didn't just blow the big plot twist right in the pilot (I know its unlikely, but still) I'm definitely looking forward to more.

What's Flash's equivalent to Green Arrow's boxing glove arrow as the dumb thing they should put in but never will because its dumb?

His suit coming out of a ring.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Xelkelvos posted:

His suit coming out of a ring.

Yeah that's probably it. I remember that being the silliest thing ever in the Flash Day episode of JLU.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Zaggitz posted:

Yeah that's probably it. I remember that being the silliest thing ever in the Flash Day episode of JLU.

With how silly Cisco Vibe Ramon is, I wouldn't put it past the writers to make an easter egg out of it where he talks about things he's been working on.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I caught the rerun after Arrow tonight and was actually not terribly impressed with the cheesiness. I should probably watch it again with a different tone in mind though.

King Burgundy posted:

Edit for one more:

And I definitely thought this was A Thing. Dunno why people are calling you a conspiracy theorist.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

King Burgundy posted:

It's his face being shot through the transparent holo effects.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Lord Bude posted:

It's his face being shot through the transparent holo effects.

While it may or may not have any significance otherwise, it seemed really apparent to me that it was just the screen-transition graphic for the "The Flash" end logo.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Feenix posted:

While it may or may not have any significance otherwise, it seemed really apparent to me that it was just the screen-transition graphic for the "The Flash" end logo.

Cool. That may very well be the case. Obviously if the next episode ends the same way, it was nothing.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Atomic banana peel.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
What do you want to bet that Dr. Harrison Wells' middle name starts with a G?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fowl posted:

What do you want to bet that Dr. Harrison Wells' middle name starts with a G?

:doh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wow. Okay. So..

There are some big ol' spoiler images from set floating around and even describing them is gonna be a spoiler, so to help y'all decide if you want to look, here's a description of the spoiler that isn't actually a spoiler but will probably spoil anyway: a thing that everyone thinks is happening is in fact happening, and much faster than you'd think.

Here if you want to see them.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 9, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

Wow. Okay. So..

There are some big ol' spoiler images from set floating around and even describing them is gonna be a spoiler, so to help y'all decide if you want to look, here's a description of the spoiler that isn't actually a spoiler but will probably spoil anyway: a thing that everyone thinks is happening is in fact happening, and much faster than you'd think.

Well holy poo poo. That there do be a spoiler.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

Wow. Okay. So..

The description is priceless.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So if I want to read great Flash comics that were written in the last 20 or so years, I should start with Geoff Johns' revamp on Wally West from the 2000s, right? Especially given that Geoff Johns has a hand in the show itself.

Just want to get a brief sense of how the flash is mainly portrayed, since i'm only familiar with his appearances in animation and team books.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BrianWilly posted:

Wow. Okay. So..

The way that's shot makes them look like action figures, it's adorable.

Also holy poo poo :flashfact:

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

So if I want to read great Flash comics that were written in the last 20 or so years, I should start with Geoff Johns' revamp on Wally West from the 2000s, right? Especially given that Geoff Johns has a hand in the show itself.

Just want to get a brief sense of how the flash is mainly portrayed, since i'm only familiar with his appearances in animation and team books.

The best (by far) is Waid's run with Wally in the 90s, but that's probably going to be really different to this series so take it or leave it. I haven't read Johns' Wally-Flash stuff (though I've heard good things), but his pre-Flashpoint Barry run is great, and probably very similar to what this show will end up like. Manapul/Buccelato's new52 stuff (#1-25 of the current series) is pretty good too.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

Johns' run with Wally West is amazing. Blitz is the best Flash story ever imo.

It's probably worth getting some context for his run by reading the first 3 trades from Waid's run though, just so you get an idea of Wally's deal and his supporting cast.

For Barry stories, the first run of New52 is the best for him. Johns' Barry was eh and everything for Nu52 Flash from about #30 onwards is pretty terrible.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

BrianWilly posted:

Wow. Okay. So..

Look at "Evil Flash's" left hand. There's a ring. gently caress me running, but that looks suspiciously like the very type of ring we just said wouldn't show up, doesn't it?

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

BrianWilly posted:

..and much faster than you'd think.

I'm sure all these dumb speed jokes are unintentional but I still love them.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
People of the city are not going to love the guy constantly blowing out their windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

LongDarkNight posted:

People of the city are not going to love the guy constantly blowing out their windows.

Cities are fairly compact; you could probably make great distance with subsonic speeds (it's like 760MPH or 1200 km/hr).

• Locked thread