Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Wandering Knitter posted:

All of this talk about favorite Harvest Moon games and not a single mention of Shepherd's Crossing 2 anywhere? For shame!

I think Corridor and I are the only people who have ever played it. Not enjoyed. No one can enjoy that game.

Shepherd's Crossing 1 for PS2 is completely superior to SC2. There's not a single bleak overtone and you can send your fleet of corgis out to hunt cattle. :colbert:

Also you get more drunkard ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Squidtamer DA posted:

Shepherd's Crossing 1 for PS2 is completely superior to SC2. There's not a single bleak overtone and you can send your fleet of corgis out to hunt cattle. :colbert:

Also you get more drunkard ducks.

no bleak overtones? gently caress that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bigass jncos posted:

But can I fall in love with a butterfly maiden?

The biggest disappointment in Rune Factory 4 was that you couldn't have Dragon Waifu

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HM should just have no limits as to whom you can marry. I want to be a sexually aggressive gay farmer who won't take "no" for an answer from the obviously heterosexual local seeds salesman. It should just be more difficult than marrying the local girls.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

The biggest disappointment in Rune Factory 4 was that you couldn't have Dragon Waifu

I think you mean detective elf wife.

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010

DoubleDonut posted:

I think you mean detective elf wife.

I think you mean irrepressible portly chef.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume opened pre-orders for Lost Valley on their website, so I guess November 4 is the official release date.

Seems like Story of Seasons probably won't make 2014, either.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Liath Macha posted:

I think you mean irrepressible portly chef.

I think you mean talking bulletin board.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rune Factory 4 just arrived from Amazon. Any early game tips or is it more fun to just figure it out rather than playing as efficiently as possible from the start?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Met posted:

Rune Factory 4 just arrived from Amazon. Any early game tips or is it more fun to just figure it out rather than playing as efficiently as possible from the start?

seriously gently caress the hm/rf games that make u do unmarked or unknown quests before u get the hammer or whatever

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Met posted:

The first couple of dungeons can be rushed through, even on hard. So don't worry about grinding for them. It's worth doing them early if you can. Other than that the game explains everything pretty well, although the tutorials can lag behind for a bit.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Corridor posted:

no bleak overtones? gently caress that

I dunno about you, skeleton, but some days I just wanna make my marmots breed until there's not enough room for them and then cull them off and trade them for a pile of chickens without the threat of starving and being married off to some random chick with snakes in her hair.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Met posted:

There are a lot of tips on the first page of page 100.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Natsume opened pre-orders for Lost Valley on their website, so I guess November 4 is the official release date.

Seems like Story of Seasons probably won't make 2014, either.

Yep, it is official. Its a shame about Story of Seasons, but unsurprising.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Met posted:

I just got through the second act and what I've found is that if you know the HM/RF formula then you don't really need a guide. You can throw stuff into your shipping/material boxes by running and pressing A. You also get random sidequests by just talking to people.

My only real complaint is that I seem to hit the main story triggers way quicker than I want to, because the game keeps reminding me that my anime farm daily life game is being threatened by some guy.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Met posted:

Later dungeons are a serious gearcheck and making some sort of turnip dish gives you a lot of money early on.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Met posted:

When picking up a lot of the same thing (field maintenance mostly) hold down A and run over the items. You'll continue picking up like items until you've got a 10 stack.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Blhue posted:

When picking up a lot of the same thing (field maintenance mostly) hold down A and run over the items. You'll continue picking up like items until you've got a 10 stack.

omigoooddddddd

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Corridor posted:

omigoooddddddd

Yup. Back when that was first posted when RF4 had just come out and it was all we talked about, the thread collectively had to go get a change of underwear.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

What would really make that skull-busting is if it would automatically backpack the things you were picking up, some things you grow you can only pull twice before you have a full stack

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Meldonox posted:

I think you mean lazy blacksmith.

(He's like the only person who actually has facial hair)

Also, when chopping/smashing rocks and stumps, if you charge up for one AoE swing, keep pressing the button to keep swinging for the charged up area. Be careful, though, since if you chop/smash too many things the game can get overloaded and all the goodies go poof.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Meldonox posted:

Man, that talking bulletin board was a pretty cool idea too. The very concept of it dripped character and fun, cutesy mystery like the bedtime conversations in Treasure Hunter G. Shame they did pretty much gently caress all with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Game mechanics are fine but the writing is absolute crap. That's a shame. Enjoying it otherwise.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Are there any games like Harvest Moon but multiplayer? I'm looking for a new game to play with my girlfriend and we both love Harvest Moon & Rune Factory. I thought of something like Wurm, but I don't think she'd like a game with strong PvP.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2014

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fantasy Life has multiplayer but I think it's all sidequests, I don't know if you can progress the main game that way. (3DS, out in Europe now, out in America next week)

Story of Seasons has some sort of multiplayer, but I don't know if it's real-time or if you can just trade items or whatever, I forget. (It still hasn't been released outside of Japan, either. 3DS.)

Animal Crossing has a ton of multiplayer, of course.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 14, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LLSix posted:

Are there any games like Harvest Moon but multiplayer? I'm looking for a new game to play with my girlfriend and we both love Harvest Moon & Rune Factory. I thought of something like Wurm, but I don't think she'd like a game with strong PvP.

If you can wait ??? months, Stardew Valley promises a multiplayer mode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Which characters in RF4 warn you of a typhoon ahead of time? I just lost half my onion harvest. And my orange tree.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Which characters in RF4 warn you of a typhoon ahead of time? I just lost half my onion harvest. And my orange tree.

If I am remembering correctly, Porcoline does without fail. You should be talking to that glorious gentleman all day every day anyways. I think Margaret detects them as well.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

In case you don't visit the 3DS thread, Natsume put out a trailer for The Lost Valley:

:siren:MUTE THIS poo poo BEFORE PLAYING:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zXlZRyWBAY

The tool use and harvesting still looks painfully slow, but the game does look a bit better in action, bad art style aside. They're still being obnoxiously coy about who developed this for them as well, but claim the studio has experience in the genre.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The game is being developed by a new Japanese branch of Natsume USA, one that has nothing to do with the pre-existing Natsume company in Japan (Natsume Atari). Natsume's genealogy is confusing.

When they say they have experience, what they mean is they've been localising the games for so long that they think they understand what people want, I don't think they mean to imply they're working with real Bokujo veterans or anything.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The game is being developed by a new Japanese branch of Natsume USA, one that has nothing to do with the pre-existing Natsume company in Japan (Natsume Atari). Natsume's genealogy is confusing.

When they say they have experience, what they mean is they've been localising the games for so long that they think they understand what people want, I don't think they mean to imply they're working with real Bokujo veterans or anything.

Yeah I know about the endless 'well Natsume USA has been around longer than Marvelous and localized Bokujou before that studio became a part of Marvelous' spiel, but I took one of the latest comments as the studio that did this has made farming games before, not them roping in Marvelous/Victor/Whatever talent.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Natsume has tons of experience making farming games. That's why there's so much removed content and so many severe bugs in the games they localized.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The art style makes it look like a Facebook game. :negative:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I think it seems cute and fun. But I always have particularly low standards. Can we pet bears? Nice.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

I Watson posted:

In case you don't visit the 3DS thread, Natsume put out a trailer for The Lost Valley:

:siren:MUTE THIS poo poo BEFORE PLAYING:siren:

The tool use and harvesting still looks painfully slow, but the game does look a bit better in action, bad art style aside. They're still being obnoxiously coy about who developed this for them as well, but claim the studio has experience in the genre.

Looks a bit better than it did before, but I'm still worried the farming will be tedious. Looked like a lot of slow animations involved in everything.

Also, holy poo poo that voiceover.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

this game looks really bad and i will not be buying it :(

gmq posted:

The art style makes it look like a Facebook game. :negative:

it seriously does

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

I Watson posted:

:siren:TURN THIS poo poo ALL THE WAY UP BEFORE PLAYING:siren:

Sorry bro, but the lovely voiceover is the best part of this video. I'll give them points for making the harvest sprites look even creepier though.

This game looks like a pile of hot garbage. I'll just hold out for Story of Seasons.

Dynastesaurus
Oct 22, 2010

Sure enough, the company that can barely spell their own name made a game that looks kinda lovely.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it looks pretty neat. I couldn't get into A New Beginning and I doubt Story of Seasons would be any different. I'll give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'm definitely going to be holding out on Lost Valley at least for a little while until popular opinion rolls in. Quite frankly I just do not trust Natsume to not make the Minecraft mechanics they seem to be hooking the entire game on shallow and uninteresting. :shrug:

• Locked thread