Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Viggen posted:

Ken would still be coherent enough to kill himself.

Which is more than I can say for this thread.

The only question is, am I aiming to land on a murano, a pt cruiser, or a prius? :unsmigghh:

(God I hope those are all gone by then.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST
One of my dream builds:

1969 Lincoln Continental 4 door
Ratty faded black primer paint
Cragar Smoothies or some wire spoke wheels
Low. not scraping low, but low.
7.3 Powerstroke swap
Hoodstack

How bad of a person am I?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

SlimManFat posted:

One of my dream builds:

7.3 Powerstroke swap
Hoodstack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U7JQrJcPiw

Considering I still think this is one of the coolest things ever, not bad at all :hfive:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SlimManFat posted:

One of my dream builds:

7.3 Powerstroke swap
Hoodstack

I already bought the black lincoln(although 73 and coupe) and 7.3 powerstroke donor truck.

As for smoothies vs wire spoke. Why not both!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cat Terrist posted:

Just plain staying active, both mentally and physically helps. Those stories about people just declining at a horrible rate after they retire? True and it's because they stop being active. The body and brain were never designed to sit and veg out.
This is what we saw with my Grandpa. He used to swim every morning. At some point he slipped on ice and hosed up his knees, ended up getting one replaced and the other rebuilt. After that walking was difficult and swimming went down to twice a week. Eventually it was too much hassle so he stopped swimming, things went downhill pretty quick after that. The dementia kicked in hard and fast over what seemed like a year then just slowly got worse. Once he was put in the VA home you could tell he wasn't going to stick around for too much longer. He absolutely hated the place and was angry with everyone for sticking him in there.

lovely part is I'm going to miss the funeral Saturday. I'm going to have a beer in the Alps in his honor.

On happier note I'm trying to figure out if I should turn in my junk rental (Ford C-Max) tonight. Hop a train to Frankfurt Saturday morning and rent a M135 or something to drive around the alps and to the Nurburgring. I have a prepped car lined up for lapping time but I'm going to be recreating a photo (http://i.minus.com/iHSelZtZgr9LZ.jpg) and using the Ford just doesn't seem right. Thanks to reddit I know where that was shot.

If I wasn't an idiot I would have scheduled to fly out of Frankfurt instead of Berlin Monday morning.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
If I call it living art, could I do a kickstarter to fund staying drunk for the rest of my life? Or at least for a mule to smuggle a bottle of absinthe into the country in their anus or something? Literal or figurative whatever, as long as the bottle isn't opened. I'd really like to try it.

Am I the only person that would welcome dementia? I don't know if it's the wrong thing but whenever I enounter someone with dementia / alzheimers I'm happy to chat with them for the duration of ...whatever. Short term memory persistence? They mightn't remember so well, but they still live in the present. Who gives a poo poo if they think they know me. It's a brief moment of happiness for them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dementia on both sides of the family, heart disease on my wife's, deadly lumps on mine. We're both hoping they get us before the dementia.

Oh, also progressive supranuclear palsy (PSP) on my wife's side. Once she hits her fifties I'm keeping exit pills on hand, no joke.

E: CHEERFUL THREAD

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Deploying a catte.gif to lighten the mood

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
YAY CAT!

Does Compuserve still own the .gif format? Do they still exist?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The patents expired about 10 years ago. edit: & CompuServe was bought by AOL a long time ago too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Whelp, we all got pulled from the job site we have been at yesterday. There was a crazy ran storm so we all ended up being 5-10 minutes late. Of course our boss was waiting at the job site for a sneak attack and screamed at all of us. Of course we have skipping our 9AM break and taking half our lunch break *and* working an extra half an hour everyday unpaid to try and make the company some money but he didn't care about any of that. loving douche. Now I'm probably getting laid off today because of it.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whelp, we all got pulled from the job site we have been at yesterday. There was a crazy ran storm so we all ended up being 5-10 minutes late. Of course our boss was waiting at the job site for a sneak attack and screamed at all of us. Of course we have skipping our 9AM break and taking half our lunch break *and* working an extra half an hour everyday unpaid to try and make the company some money but he didn't care about any of that. loving douche. Now I'm probably getting laid off today because of it.

If a business you don't own requires you to work for free to be profitable, it is a bad business and you shouldn't be working there if you can help it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Latest fake ad from Sniff Petrol

blk
Dec 19, 2009

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

"I'm a strong independent skid-steer loader, and I don't need no man ramp!" :nyd:

In completely unrelated Linux news, I just tried elementary OS. I know it's "bad" because of the Ubuntu underpinnings, systemd, because people mistakently think it's an OSX ripoff (it isn't) and all that stuff.

But this is what desktop Linux is supposed to be like. This is how we get people to use non-MS/Apple OSes on the desktop. It's fluid, intuitive, pretty and fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

But this is what desktop Linux is supposed to be like. This is how we get people to use non-MS/Apple OSes on the desktop. It's fluid, intuitive, pretty and fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzSPGkOyzW8

Looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. The largest issue I've had with Linux in general is first, support. Obviously since it's free and a communal sort of software, support and installations for anything else are pretty lovely at best. Second is the reliability factor, did you just get a break in power or have kids that don't understand how to shut down a computer instead of just pressing the power button? Hopefully you don't get the dreaded broken pipe error. It's a craps shoot, hopefully not because it's easier to reload off a backup than it is to fix the drat thing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I've tried out so many different Linux distributions and after setting them up and using them for awhile, they almost end up looking and working about the same.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

keykey posted:

Looks interesting, I'll give it a shot. The largest issue I've had with Linux in general is first, support. Obviously since it's free and a communal sort of software, support and installations for anything else are pretty lovely at best. Second is the reliability factor, did you just get a break in power or have kids that don't understand how to shut down a computer instead of just pressing the power button? Hopefully you don't get the dreaded broken pipe error. It's a craps shoot, hopefully not because it's easier to reload off a backup than it is to fix the drat thing.

Keep in mind that the version he's showing is Freya, which is currently under development. The current release is Luna, and while it's not quite as snazzy, it's a lot more stable.

Personally, I find Linux much easier to fix if/when it borks than Windows. Boot up on a live system USB stick and fix whatever's wrong. Then again, I have ~14 years of experience under my belt, so yeah.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

mariooncrack posted:

I've tried out so many different Linux distributions and after setting them up and using them for awhile, they almost end up looking and working about the same.

I'd say that is due to your choice of TWO whole bloated window managers if you actually want to accomplish any work. Everything else is just janky.

Welp, guess I should go smog the rolling dent and get a moving permit so I can smog the ford. Boy I love living in this county sometimes. Hell, even CARB only smogs you every two years. :jerkbag:

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 9, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Viggen posted:

I'd say that is due to your choice of TWO whole bloated window managers if you actually want to accomplish any work. Everything else is just janky.

But XFCE and LXDE aren't bloated at all? :confused:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 226 days!)

KozmoNaut posted:

But XFCE and LXDE aren't bloated at all? :confused:

Those two don't exist in the real world. Gnome, or KDE are the standard. KDE3 for life :cenobite:

Huh, the DMV doesn't do the ticket thing anymore. You now 'get in line' using your cell phone. Snazzy.

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

xmonad supremacy :cool:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Viggen posted:

Welp, guess I should go smog the rolling dent and get a moving permit so I can smog the ford. Boy I love living in this county sometimes. Hell, even CARB only smogs you every two years. :jerkbag:

I love Minnesota because we don't have inspections, but I also kind of hate it because it means that people get away with driving rolling death traps. Sometimes I see the other cars on the road with me and wish that they were legally required to do basic maintenance on them.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Just gave it a shot and uhhh.. It's a thing.. There's a reason I haven't touched Linux again in close to 16 years. First is driver support. The manufacturer didn't have any Linux drivers, so I went to the chip set source and got a Linux driver there. Second, I had to extract it then run the make command in terminal, after 10 minutes of monkeying with it it finally worked. If the terminal has to be one of the first things a user touches, it's a failed OS. That is what alienates Linux from being anywhere close to being a viable option for 99.9% of the users out there. It's fine for web/mail/radius pool server environments, aka areas where computer nerds will be operating and maintaining the machine, but for home use forget it, it really offers absolutely nothing over any other OS.

It installed in about 5 minutes as opposed to 10 for windows/OS X which was nice, but then came the driver installation to be up and going. That took hunting, extracting, making, then running as opposed to click, install, done. A driver installation should just be something that happens and shouldn't feel like you've accomplished anything of value since it's something that's an essential component.

edit: I also had to disable UEFI and go back to legacy otherwise it would poo poo a brick and artifact in the last 10% of installation for some reason.

keykey fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

You know, growing up on a farm with skidsteers and driving them a ton, I think of myself as pretty loving solid with them.
I would not attempt that. I am weak.
loving impressive though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

slip proof stairs posted:

xmonad supremacy :cool:

I prefer to set up fixed-size frames and put windows in them, rather than have every window resize when I open a new xterm, so I run stumpwm these days. Used i3 for a long time, even got pretty much my whole department using it after they saw it, but the constantly resizing windows eventually bothered me. I also really like stumpwm's default keybindings.

keykey posted:

Just gave it a shot and uhhh.. It's a thing.. There's a reason I haven't touched Linux again in close to 16 years. First is driver support. The manufacturer didn't have any Linux drivers, so I went to the chip set source and got a Linux driver there. Second, I had to extract it then run the make command in terminal, after 10 minutes of monkeying with it it finally worked. If the terminal has to be one of the first things a user touches, it's a failed OS. That is what alienates Linux from being anywhere close to being a viable option for 99.9% of the users out there. It's fine for web/mail/radius pool server environments, aka areas where computer nerds will be operating and maintaining the machine, but for home use forget it, it really offers absolutely nothing over any other OS.

It installed in about 5 minutes as opposed to 10 for windows/OS X which was nice, but then came the driver installation to be up and going. That took hunting, extracting, making, then running as opposed to click, install, done. A driver installation should just be something that happens and shouldn't feel like you've accomplished anything of value since it's something that's an essential component.

edit: I also had to disable UEFI and go back to legacy otherwise it would poo poo a brick and artifact in the last 10% of installation for some reason.

What are you running on? These days, one of the main reasons I prefer Linux is that it has drivers for every drat thing. About the only thing it has trouble with are some Macbooks.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Remember when reversing to check all mirrors because there may be something you can't see in all of them.

Thank goodness for driving slowly and bouncy plastic bumpers.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In the middle of a kitchen and bath remodel/renovation. Trying to convince the wife that 'no, we don't need to hire someone to install a tile backsplash'. That said, I'm in the middle of sanding priming sanding priming sanding painting sanding painting installing hardware and mounting twenty two loving cabinet doors.

Then I still have to paint the kitchen.

Then I still have to install the back splash.

Then I have to finish skim coating the bathroom and paint the cabinet in the bathroom and install a faucet and toilet, then paint then :suicide:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

freelop posted:

Remember when reversing to check all mirrors because there may be something you can't see in all of them.

How many children did you run over?

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

freelop posted:

I love my backup camera because it catches short things that my mirrors don't, like dogs, cats, and kids. Also, the fisheye helps because my driveway is super narrow and flanked by privacy fence.

What'd you almost squish?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

A VW up.

I was reversing out of a bay at the end of the car park next to a curb but wanted to point my nose as much towards the exit as possible and brain farted.

Fortunately I reverse at a really slow speed and there wasn't a scratch on either car.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mmm, it happens.

slip proof stairs posted:

I love my backup camera because it catches short things that my mirrors don't, like dogs, cats, and kids. Also, the fisheye helps because my driveway is super narrow and flanked by privacy fence.
Yeah, I did use to think of a reversing camera as a gimmick, but it really is helpful for seeing what is setting your parking sensors off, and getting really close to stuff.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Which one of you had carfax look ups left? Need a favor :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ugh, I cant wait to have a drink tonight.

I bought two wheels online a few days ago, only one showed up and the other is lost.

Stressing out about a winter car that I bought that needs a transmission rebuild.

At work some student complained to someone and it reached my boss because I didn't hang up flyers for her in a college library. She was the rudest person I've helped in weeks, had to ask her to repeat herself 4 times because she was mumbling. I told her we have bulletin boards that she can use but we don't do it ourselves. Not in trouble but still aggravating that instead of doing the work herself she just went to diversity & equity and made it an issue.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have a 2014 Altima rental and my god is the paint loving awful. More swirls than a soft serve machine.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I know someone here mentioned Carmageddon Reincarnation being kinda bleh in its current state, but I'd like to point out, for today it's $18 on Steam and comes with free copies of Carmageddon 1 and 2. I picked it up just for those alone.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Nodoze posted:

Which one of you had carfax look ups left? Need a favor :)

me, send me a PM

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

I know someone here mentioned Carmageddon Reincarnation being kinda bleh in its current state, but I'd like to point out, for today it's $18 on Steam and comes with free copies of Carmageddon 1 and 2. I picked it up just for those alone.

I mentioned it. I think its a great game and I can't wait for it to be finished! - but its really buggy and has been for the last couple of updates on my PC :(. It takes over 10 minutes to load a race, and then usually half way through that game something goes wrong with the peds and they get all glitchy and I can no longer hit them. Due to the 10 minute wait to start again I usually then quit.

and they haven't released an update since july.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Tomarse posted:

I mentioned it. I think its a great game and I can't wait for it to be finished! - but its really buggy and has been for the last couple of updates on my PC :(. It takes over 10 minutes to load a race, and then usually half way through that game something goes wrong with the peds and they get all glitchy and I can no longer hit them. Due to the 10 minute wait to start again I usually then quit.

Well, since you bought it in Early Access, check your Steam inventory. You should have a gift coupon for Carmageddon 1 and 2 at least :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

T1g4h posted:

Well, since you bought it in Early Access, check your Steam inventory. You should have a gift coupon for Carmageddon 1 and 2 at least :v:

I bought it as an initial pledger before it even became early access because I loved Carma 1 and 2 so much!

Don't get me wrong - I'm not upset about spending the money on it. I think I got my moneys worth just out of the first couple of updates (when it did work on my PC) and I'm happy that it is still a beta and it will one day work again for me - but its so frustrating.

getting new copies of 1 and 2 has sweetened it slightly.

• Locked thread