Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just heard about Image's Punks The Comic out this week and checked out a preview.

http://kodychamberlain.tumblr.com/post/92639659186/punks-the-comic-four-page-preview

I like Joshua Hale Fialkov for The Bunker and I, Vampire, looks influenced by The Young Ones, it's made out collaged clippings. Sounds awesome, except one character says "Le sigh' multiple times in the first page, then another character says 'Le sigh' on the next. :(

Maybe the reference is Pepé Le Pew, but I'm dreading a pile of modern internet memes.

e: Actually read the top of the page and found out it's a ten year old thing with new material. Any fans?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Southern Bastards vol 1 arrived this weekend, and I read it quickly and holy poo poo, it's just brutal.

I don't know why I thought it would be more lighthearted than Scalped but I was not expecting a book entirely about hitting people with a magic tree branch.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sigma-X posted:

Southern Bastards vol 1 arrived this weekend, and I read it quickly and holy poo poo, it's just brutal.

I don't know why I thought it would be more lighthearted than Scalped but I was not expecting a book entirely about hitting people with a magic tree branch.

That's what it seemed like, and as issue 4 shows that is not what its going to be about.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I also read Southern Bastards 1 over the weekend. Really looking forward to volume 2. There is a dark side to waiting for trades, but I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Southern Bastards #4 was so unexpected. Jason Aaron (who lives in KS) was at my local store signing copies of all his books. I told him about my love of Southern Bastards and he said "And the story is just starting!" so I'm really looking forward to the next part.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

While I was adding Southern Bastards 1 to my Amazon wish list, I noticed Kieren Gillon's The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 up for preorder. I thought he was generally well received, but I had never heard anything about this until it was in the recommended thing, so...how is it?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

GrandpaPants posted:

While I was adding Southern Bastards 1 to my Amazon wish list, I noticed Kieren Gillon's The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 1 up for preorder. I thought he was generally well received, but I had never heard anything about this until it was in the recommended thing, so...how is it?
I think it's pretty enjoyable and moves at a good pace, as well as making good jokes at pop culture obsession using Gods as celebrities. Protagonist is likable and the spin on these Gods reincarnating themselves into teenagers for two years before dying is treated with an interesting angle, since these teens were pretty much just normal kids until they found out about being Gods. I'm not normally a fan of Gillen's writing, but I found myself pleasantly surprised with W+D. But the first arc won't be the standard for the rest of the story from my understanding, so better to treat it as introduction to the cast.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm a fan of Gillen and have followed the majority of his work. The Wicked + The Divine really seems like the natural progression of his work as it contains many of his familiar themes and interests, but it also feels like W+D has the luxury to work out its ideas in detail without being hampered by telling a superhero story in a preexisting universe. Comixology is selling the first issue for .99.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm not big into pop culture, fantasy, or much of Gillen's other work outside Three, and I really like W+D. It's fun, I like how it portrays gods as these over-sized personalities with issues and no special love for humanity, and I didn't notice there were no white male characters until it was pointed out.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Anybody read Wytches yet? I'm debating if I want to pick it up. The art from the previews I saw looks pretty cool at least.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Anybody read Wytches yet? I'm debating if I want to pick it up. The art from the previews I saw looks pretty cool at least.
First off: the preview pages aren't in the first issue. I'm guessing they're either there for teaser or they'll appear later.

Anyways I got it last night during Forbidden Planet's midnight signing and love it. Was planning to trade wait it but I'm going to getting it monthly now. Jock's art fits the tone well and Snyder goes all out on the script. Expect some disturbing imagery.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Has anyone else read the Brian Wood run on Conan?

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Martello posted:

I read the first couple of arcs and really liked it, but apparently most people don't like Brian Wood as much as I do. It really captures the early Howard vibe.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Martello posted:

I have and I think it's fantastic the whole way through. It's basically Northlanders fused with Robert E. Howard lore.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Wow. Issue 1 was 5 stars, terrifying. One of the scariest comics I can recall reading. I hope it stays this good and this intense.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just picked up Birthright and it seems really good. I'll have to wait until #2 in November but #1 definitely piqued my interest. The guys at Whatever... on Castro seemed pretty enthusiastic about it.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Wytches is definitely worth it, goddamn I enjoyed that

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Wytches sounds great. Are there any other cool recent horror series/miniseries I should check out to get into the Halloween spirit?

e: and by 'recent' I suppose I mean anything within the past five years or so. I haven't been able to keep up with comics as much as I used to be able to.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

pugnax posted:

I read the first couple of arcs and really liked it, but apparently most people don't like Brian Wood as much as I do. It really captures the early Howard vibe.

I like Brian Wood and I really didn't like his work on Conan. I've only read Queen of the Black Coast so far, so maybe The Death is better, I dunno. I think the opposite, it's a huge departure from early Howard. I even read the prose version of Queen again just to make sure. The emo, brooding, uncertain, lovesick Conan is nothing like "early Howard." Don't get me wrong, I totally get and approve of the idea of taking a Conan-like character and turning him on his head by giving him more emotional depth and making him dependent on his lover and so on, but that's not what Conan himself is supposed to be about. The fact that everything by Busiek and Truman is so close to the original Howard makes Wood's departure that much worse.

The other thing that bothered me was that he leaned so heavily on the narration boxes. Busiek did it a lot early on and while I didn't hate it, I felt the storytelling got stronger when he or Truman (not sure who started using them less, it's been a while) didn't put in so much written narration. It's a comic book adaptation, after all. It's nice to see lines straight out of Howard, and even a few narrative lines, but the art and dialogue should be enough to carry the story. A great example is The Tower of the Elephant (my all-time favorite, just edging out Free Companions) where Yag-Kosha tells Conan of his life before the tower, and it's all his storytelling dialogue and that incredible art shift.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I have and I think it's fantastic the whole way through. It's basically Northlanders fused with Robert E. Howard lore.

Then why doesn't Wood just keep writing Northlanders? I loved Northlanders. Conan is something different, and should stay that way. Maybe I'm being a grumpy old man but if the series started out as an almost perfect adaptation and expansion of Howard's prose, why did he have to jump in and make it something completely different?

Becky Cloonan's art rules no matter what. Though I wish they made one good departure from Howard and made Belit at least tan. I mean, for gently caress's sake the woman is supposed to be proto-Semitic AND lives on the open ocean. Maybe she has magic SPF 1000 sunblock. And I also wish she didn't make Conan look like he didn't even lift.

I see Van Lente is on the book now. I like him a lot, though with what he's done before I'm not 100% he'll be a replacement for Busiek or Truman. Is King Conan any good?

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

ovaries posted:

Wytches sounds great. Are there any other cool recent horror series/miniseries I should check out to get into the Halloween spirit?

e: and by 'recent' I suppose I mean anything within the past five years or so. I haven't been able to keep up with comics as much as I used to be able to.

Gonna put my stock recommendation of Locke and Key here. My favorite series of all time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Garth Ennis's mini Caliban wrapped up yesterday.

It's a horror/sf book from Avatar, so that tells you a lot about what you're getting from the start, but there's a lot about Ennis's writing I enjoy for its own sake. I wouldn't be surprised if this started as a film pitch; it's got a feel to it like he's already hoping it'll get optioned.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Martello posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get and approve of the idea of taking a Conan-like character and turning him on his head by giving him more emotional depth and making him dependent on his lover and so on, but that's not what Conan himself is supposed to be about.

First of all, I really appreciate your whole post and apologies in advance for plucking just a couple snippets. I suppose I think it's best to start here, though. In a concise manner, what is Conan supposed to be about, to you? I'm curious to see what your (or anyone's) take looks like compared to mine.

Martello posted:

I see Van Lente is on the book now.

I read the first issue and hated it. As soon as there was a moment where Conan made a defeated opponent lick the blood off of his sword, I was done. Conan is violent, but for me, he's not some kind of (metaphorically) sexual sadist.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Wanderer posted:

Garth Ennis's mini Caliban wrapped up yesterday.

It's a horror/sf book from Avatar, so that tells you a lot about what you're getting from the start, but there's a lot about Ennis's writing I enjoy for its own sake. I wouldn't be surprised if this started as a film pitch; it's got a feel to it like he's already hoping it'll get optioned.

Okay, so does it end well? Worth checking out in trade? (I like Ennis when he's "on," generally hate Avatar art, but am at base definitely into space horror as a genre.)

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Hm, it's a bit hard to say to be honest. It ends well (as in, the thing that you've basically wanted to happen since the second or third issue happens) but I don't really feel it ever got going if that makes sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

onefish posted:

Okay, so does it end well? Worth checking out in trade? (I like Ennis when he's "on," generally hate Avatar art, but am at base definitely into space horror as a genre.)

It's a Lovecraftian space opera, so with that in mind, it ends about as well as could be imagined. It's also not as bad about grue for grue's sake as some of the Avatar go-to guys, so there's that.

Ennis does okay with endings. It's not like Ellis where a lot of his books just stop.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Martello posted:

Is King Conan any good?
Terrific stuff. Truman adapting Howard stories, I think you'll dig it.

First of all, I really appreciate your whole post and apologies in advance for plucking just a couple snippets. I suppose I think it's best to start here, though. In a concise manner, what is Conan supposed to be about, to you? I'm curious to see what your (or anyone's) take looks like compared to mine.
How he's portrayed in the earlier Dark Horse stuff seems to fit. A kind of thrillseeking adventurer who is a bit lighthearted and hedonistic. But when wronged or comes across injustice that he can't stand, he's a ruthless killing machine. But mostly, he's about the thrill with a lust for life in that way.

2000AD is excellent right now, 1900+ issues, only a couple years away from 2000AD #2000. With Judge Dredd's creators from the 70s John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra on Dredd, oh yes. Kingdom by Abnett is back too, so great.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Oct 11, 2014

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Shitshow posted:

Gonna put my stock recommendation of Locke and Key here. My favorite series of all time.

I'm surprised Locke and Key isn't as big as something like Harry Potter, I think it's that good.

Edit - Not to say Locke and Key is some kind of young adult type story, but I feel like if they actually released the show or movie (I think this is in the works) it could be huge.

G-Whizard fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 12, 2014

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ovaries posted:

I know Kirkman doesn't have much of a good rep here, but I'd recommend his recent series 'Outcast'. Only four issues are out and so far, it's about a depressed man-child and his priest exorcising demons by punching. That said, it is a lot more grounded than his other series, demons aside. Set in a small town in, I want to say, North-Eastern united states. The people who they're dealing with aren't sadistic assholes who want to murder their families, but normal people who are hurt, hurt others, and maybe go crazy due to possession. As such, a lot of the possessed people they punch are secondary to the story of people with histories and differing personalities, all of whom have lives are affected by other people who either mean to or are forced to harm others. It's dark and brooding, and is completely sold by it's artwork and coloring. What it does so well is make darkness seem hostile and threatening, and make light seem dangerous like a knife.

As well, Kirkman himself says an ending has been set with a goal in mind, so hopefully it won't fall into Walking Dead's or Invincible's aimless Kirkman-Syndrome.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There's Severed, The Wake and American Vampire also by Scott Snyder and Batman: The Black Mirror by Snyder and Jock, the Wytches artist. It's all good, creepy stuff.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

I grabbed Wytches because I liked The Wake so much. I think Jock's art is awesome, and the color in Wytches is super cool.

Copperhead #2 did not disappoint. I especially liked his little note at the end about writing it 'Marvel Style' - the art is great and it's nice to give the tempo up to the artist in a rough-and-tumble type story.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
Has anyone else read the Wrenchies yet? It is super high quality, Farel Dalrymple blew me away. Most likely you'd be familiar with his work on Prophet, but Wrenchies is a much more mature solo effort. He also posts his project "It will all hurt" on Study Group comics website, so if you're interested go read it here http://studygroupcomics.com/main/category/title/it-will-all-hurt/

I wish I could show this nunchuck fight early on in the Wrenchies, the layouts and flow of action Farel Dalrymple draws at times is great.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

pugnax posted:

I grabbed Wytches because I liked The Wake so much. I think Jock's art is awesome, and the color in Wytches is super cool.
And now Brad Pitt wants to make a movie of it!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

James Gunn interview with Grant Morrison includes the first art from his and Chris Burnham's upcoming Image series.
http://www.interviewmagazine.com/culture/grant-morrison#_

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

I read the first issue and hated it. As soon as there was a moment where Conan made a defeated opponent lick the blood off of his sword, I was done. Conan is violent, but for me, he's not some kind of (metaphorically) sexual sadist.

Sorry I left you hanging, I really want to continue this conversation. I was on "vacation" all last week remodeling my kitchen and living room until midnight or so every night, so I didn't have much time to sit down and think/talk about Conan. Tonight or so I'll sit down with the Howard original and the Wood comic of Queen and give you a proper response.

Heavy Metal posted:

Terrific stuff. Truman adapting Howard stories, I think you'll dig it.

How he's portrayed in the earlier Dark Horse stuff seems to fit. A kind of thrillseeking adventurer who is a bit lighthearted and hedonistic. But when wronged or comes across injustice that he can't stand, he's a ruthless killing machine. But mostly, he's about the thrill with a lust for life in that way.

Okay, sounds awesome. And yeah, the earlier Dark Horse adaptations are pretty much pitch-perfect to my eyes.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
I read Roche Limit from Image...and I didn't get it?

Some of my friends said it was good but it seemed like it was nothing? Am I missing something? It seems a lot like The Fuse. Is this writer known for ramping up to cool stuff or is this just not my jam?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I burned through the first volume of Southern Bastards. It felt a LOT like Scalped, especially in terms of theme and pacing. An ex-military protagonist who is super reluctant to go back home but does so anyway, only to find that said home is basically run by a "legitimate businessman" who everyone knows is a monster but does nothing about it. At the end of it there's even a main character death, but obviously the details surrounding the spoiler is way different.

I realize a lot of it is superficial, but it all adds up to this impression that it is kinda samey, like it was sort of a reskin. But after the events of #4 (and the general strength of Scalped), I'm still going to give it a chance.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Just read the first trade of East of West. I liked it, but it feels to ~big~ to me, like the concepts are just too much. The world is really neat though, it just seems like the supporting cast is more interesting than the main characters.

negative x
Jan 28, 2009

JAZZ.
I hope this isn't gauche, but I just worked on a project that I'm really excited about and I was hoping I could share it here:

I wrote a jazz soundtrack to Image's C.O.W.L. that's being released next week. It's a partner piece to the first TPB--something to listen to while you read it. I worked on it with Kyle Higgins and Bear McCreary (of Walking Dead fame) and you can check out lo-fi samples on Amazon. We're hoping to press vinyl soon.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That actually makes me want to read C.O.W.L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

negative x posted:

I hope this isn't gauche, but I just worked on a project that I'm really excited about and I was hoping I could share it here:

I wrote a jazz soundtrack to Image's C.O.W.L. that's being released next week. It's a partner piece to the first TPB--something to listen to while you read it. I worked on it with Kyle Higgins and Bear McCreary (of Walking Dead fame) and you can check out lo-fi samples on Amazon. We're hoping to press vinyl soon.

Comics and accompanying vinyl? Here, just take all my drat money.