Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Third party sites like Expedia and Travelocity are a bad idea, they sometimes just book you to a random room without taking into account any considerations you've made (non-smoking, pet friendly, etc.). And then if you need to make any changes or anything, you can't get a refund through the hotel, you have to go through the website.

A better plan is to check the rates on the website, then call the hotel and say "hey Travelocity is offering X room at $XX.XX, can you match that?" 99% of the time they will, just to save everyone the hassle.

Also hotel staff HATE third party websites because customers are dumb shits that don't know how they work. People call the hotel when they can't book on them, for cancelations, for refunds, for anything, and basically it doesn't work. Just call the hotel or book on their website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Khazar-khum posted:

This summer we booked a room in a hotel through Hotels.com. When we got there, the place was being remodeled, which is a no-go for me because of my asthma. Hotels.com got us a better room, in a better location, for less money.

I had a very different experience in almost the same situation. Hotels.com booked us a smoking room which my wife cannot sleep in due to sinus problems. So at 2 am in Orange CA the drone on the phone said that it was our fault because although the room didn't say smoking, it didn't say nonsmoking either :downs: They said they would only refund or make other arrangements for us is if we found a doctor that night to write a note that says it would be harmful for her to sleep there. Never again.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Isn't this an episode in every TV show set in a school?

quote:

Group Fail
MIDDLE SCHOOL | KEW, VIC, AUSTRALIA | LAZY/UNHELPFUL, LIARS/SCAMMERS, STUDENTS
(This happens when I end up in the rather loud annoying group of girls for a group assignment. Note: These girls are notorious for not doing any work in group assignments, and this is on Monday.)

Girl #1: “So, [My Name], what are we going to do for this project?”

Me: “I’m not sure.”

Girl #2: “Well, you should! You’re going to be doing most of the work anyway. I KNOW! We’ll do the speech!”

Me: *still quiet* “I’d prefer not—”

GIrl #3: “Geez, [My Name]! We’re doing a speech, and you’re going to need to speak louder than THAT if you want the class to hear you!”

Me: “I’ll write the speech, we’ll all do research, and send what you find to me.”

Girls #1 #2 & #3: “Okay!”

Me: “I’ll need the research papers by the end of the week, and then I’ll have another week to write the speech.”

(Fast forward to Thursday afternoon:)

Girl #1: “[My Name], have you finished the speech yet?”

Me: “No, you still haven’t sent me the research papers. I’ve written mine, and I still need yours, [Girl #2]’s, and [Girl #3]‘s.”

Girl #1: “Oh, well send me yours so that the three of us can see what sort of things we’re looking for.”

(The day before and I still haven’t gotten them, so I email them asking for it. Girl #1 sends me my research sheet, with a few sentences changed to the point of not making sense. Girl #2 sends me a Wikipedia page with links still in it, and Girl #3 sends me nothing, I manage to make a speech using what I have. I then send it to Girl #3 saying that because she didn’t really do anything she can read it out. The next day this happens.)

Teacher: “[My Name], I need you to stay at the end of class. I want to speak to you.”

(After class ends:)

Me: “You wanted to speak to me?”

Teacher: “Yes, your group said that for the assignment you did no work, and that they were forced to do everything.”

Me: “…”

Teacher: “And because you didn’t do anything, I’m going to have to fail you.”

Me: “I have proof I did work.”

Teacher: “Really? Show me.”

(I showed her the emails and the dates on all the computer documents. I got an ‘A’ for all my work, while the others all failed. I didn’t want to get them failed, but the teacher was very strict about students who did no work.)

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Khazar-khum posted:

The first sign that this is STDH is that Australia doesn't have middle school. Primary school is Prep to grade 6 while High/Secondary School is grades 7 to 12.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
STDHs like that are so sad because a boring, totally mundane little power fantasy is the best they can think up. Such small dreams. :negative:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Testekill posted:

The first sign that this is STDH is that Australia doesn't have middle school.
We actually do, but it's very uncommon and usually is reserved for private schools.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Khazar-khum posted:

'Needless to say, I had the last laugh.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxZ5AKDvyfU&t=46s

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Chas McGill posted:

STDHs like that are so sad because a boring, totally mundane little power fantasy is the best they can think up. Such small dreams. :negative:

Bus rune girl :smith:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/2ipmfh/tifu_by_assigning_homework/ posted:

"Profanity is uttered by individuals who lack the capability to otherwise better express themselves."

This is the sentence I make my jr. High students write for homework 25times when they swear in my science class. I have been doing this for several years now, and my students know that if they act out, they are telling me that they think that correcting their behavior is more important than educating themselves. So I give them busy work that is due the next school day and it must be signed by a parent.

This brings us to 2nd period. Had a young lady decide that she wanted to cuss out her friend in the middle of class. I hand her this sentence, she rolls her eyes, but nods her head and puts it in her back pack.

I just got off the phone with her mother. The conversation went something like this:

"Why the gently caress is MY baby girl doing extra homework? She didn't do no nothin' to you."

"She broke my class rules. She knows what she did, and she suffers the consequences."

"But that don't give you the RIGHT to call my baby stupid. My baby ain't doin' your stupid homework bullshit either. Just you wait til I talk to your principal and the school board see how fast your fat rear end gets fired."

::pause::

"First, I never called her stupid. Her intelligence was never even a topic of conversation between us. And second, you're going to stop talking to me in the manner that you are. I do not accept that from my students, nor do I accept it from their parents."

"There you go treating ME like I'm stupid now to tryin' to confuse me. You a rear end in a top hat, that what you is. And I ain't taking this poo poo."

"Now just a minute. You need to explain to me how you think I am treating you like you are stupid because I am completely lost."

"You is talkin' all uppity."

"I'm sorry...how?"

"You is all talk in' like you some know-it-all science bitch using all them big words and making my baby feel stupid because she has to write them she don't even know what they mean, I don't even know what they mean! You some uppity bitch ain't cha?"

"I'm still lost. What big words?"

"gently caress it, I a talk to your principal." ::click::

She got confused by the words I used, thought I was maliciously and intentionally talking that way to make her feel stupid. She indeed, called my principal. A formal reprimand may take place tomorrow. Because I used big words. And assigned homework.

Update: going to bed Update:: will tomorrow when I get a chance to talk to principal.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
That is probably the most racist "I'm not saying she's black but . . . " post I've ever seen.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Not only that, but the "teacher's" language is terrifically high-handed, yet full of grammatical errors. That doesn't add to the STDH, it just bugs the gently caress out of me.

Here's what I think really happened, based on Being A Teacher:

Eighth-grader said the gently caress word in class.
Teacher, who likely communicated the policy from the beginning of the year, implements consequence.
Kid goes home and complains to parent.
Parent (a) Calls the teacher to confirm the situation and ascertain why their child is doing "punishment" homework.
AND/OR
(b) Tells the kid, "suck it up."
Kid cries ANGRY TEARS OF LIFE'S UNFAIRNESS.
Kid writes this crap right here.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The Bee posted:

That is probably the most racist "I'm not saying she's black but . . . " post I've ever seen.

I'm not an expert on written presentations of American dialects, but isn't she supposed to be from deep South?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

I'm not an expert on written presentations of American dialects, but isn't she supposed to be from deep South?

Generally, you don't type like-uh thees mastuh, unless you're trying to say the person is a nig-nog.

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009

Paladinus posted:

Nah. These sections give it away in particular:

quote:

You a rear end in a top hat, that what you is

You is talkin' all uppity

I a talk to your principal

If they were trying parody some belligerent redneck they would have thrown in some more y'alls, cain'ts, ain'ts, and references to gun rights and keeping prayer in schools.

EDIT: and another thing, that quote DOES imply that people who curse are just too stupid to use bigger, fancier words. "Profanity is uttered by individuals who lack the capability to otherwise better express themselves." It's not making a statement about the use of profanity being lazy, it's making a statement about people who use profanity being too lazy/dumb to 'better express themselves.' I mean, it's not something I'd call the school screaming about if I was a parent and found out my kid was cursing, but it's a pretty bad choice of words on the part of the teacher. Also, this guy isn't quoting anyone famous. That's an original quote right there. All it's missing is -Me at the end of it. Euphoric.

Double Plus Good has a new favorite as of 15:34 on Oct 9, 2014

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Paladinus posted:

It's from Reddit though...

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well if the Lad Bible said it it must be true

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Third party sites like Expedia and Travelocity are a bad idea, they sometimes just book you to a random room without taking into account any considerations you've made (non-smoking, pet friendly, etc.). And then if you need to make any changes or anything, you can't get a refund through the hotel, you have to go through the website.

A better plan is to check the rates on the website, then call the hotel and say "hey Travelocity is offering X room at $XX.XX, can you match that?" 99% of the time they will, just to save everyone the hassle.

Late, but I've had the opposite experience: I was staying at a hotel I'd booked through hotwire and wanted to stay an extra night. When the front desk told me they couldn't match the rate I'd gotten online, I went back up to my room and booked another night at the same rate through hotwire again. It seemed like the "special" rates are negotiated elsewhere and the front desk didn't have the authority to go that low. Which is kinda stupid and just cost the hotel money.

Pictorial STDH to make up for derail:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Pictorial STDH to make up for derail:

Even if this is made up, I did laugh, and knowing kids I know, could see it happening. I'm becoming a poo poo that didn't happen.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

The Bee posted:

Nah, it's cool, that dude posted an update to his story that definitely, really, absolutely happened:

At least he didn't pretend he's an English teacher posted:

Update part 3:
Get a call from principal when I arrived at work to come to her office. Mom & child are in there. Principal has an odd look on her face. (and for all of you who were wondering... mom was white. Not that it even matters). I sit down, and before or the principal can say a word, child looks at mom, mom apologizes. She goes in to how she was having a bad day insert health problems here and that she didn't understand the situation so she naturally assumed I was picking on her child.

Principal keeps composed until they leave, then lost it. She laughed so hard she was crying. Apparently, they had a conversation over the phone the night before and she defined all the words for mom. Child was fine. She was willing to accept the lines and all was well.
Oh! And I checked, where I'm at, extra homework/writing lines/etc is NOT corporeal punishment. I'm good.

So you see, that was a 100% accurate transcription of how a real human being (who definitely was white, for reals) speaks.

Also, turns out all this time, extra homework is only punishment for the spirit world!

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
So if line writing isn't corporeal, then how are students expected to complete it?

Morphy00
Dec 24, 2008

I exited my 5th grade spelling bee on the word misspell. :hfive:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Roro posted:

So if line writing isn't corporeal, then how are students expected to complete it?

Wait a second, you're right. How are all his students able to do all the bullshit line writing he gives them unless---crap, we may have just read a draft of Shyamalan's latest project. :ghost:

STDH tax:

Sure, that's how a frazzled manager running a badly staffed pizza joint would react posted:

Back story: I'm a pizza delivery guy! It's been about two years since I started. I'm the only dude that has never received a raise, but that's only because I work 10-20 hours a week and give away shifts. Customers ask for me all the time though because I give zero fucks when I'm at work, and everyone loves it.

So on this fine night, I'm already irritated because the day shift did an awful job of... doing their job. I had to go in early, pick up the slack... it doesn't really matter, I'm just already in a foul mood 15 minutes into what is supposed to be the easiest shift.

To relieve my pain, I mess with people. Today it was putting whatever they say after I ask them, "Can I get your name and address?" in the 'Name' blank on the POS. It just so happens that there were more than a few customers today that said, "Uhhhhhh Ben?" or "Uhhmmm Johanna" and "Err. Uh. Eeeeeh. Kevin!"

Three hours in, our owner comes in to make himself some food, normal stuff. Phone rings, and he picks it up.

I hear, "Thank you for -- Excuse me? -- Say that again? -- Can I put you on hold for a second? I'll try and figure this out."

He looks over at me, "Candie, why are there six people with 'Um' before their name?"

C: "I asked them their name and that's what they told me."

He grins, stares at the floor, and shakes his head. "Why... why would you bother?" He giggles some more. He's just dumbfounded. "Why would you even bother to put in that kind of effort?"

C: "You pay me five dollars an hour."
Boss: "Yeah? And?"
C: "... you get what you pay for. Everyone knows that."

The entire store is silent for a good ten seconds. Coworkers jaw dropped staring at me. Our owner breaks out laughing, "Fine! You win! Act like you get paid six then!"

And now I'm only $1.25 away from minimum wage. :D

Take that, Um Johanna!

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Has this one been posted yet? :sigh:

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I should've known better than to think My Life Is Twilight wouldn't eventually evolve into this.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
What a twat.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Double Plus Good posted:

In my younger days I knew a girl who one day got spectacularly drunk and made out with a plushie just like that in a car park stairwell.

"Dear Soldier, this is Chester, he was my first kiss. I hope he keeps you from being lonely."

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Double Plus Good posted:

edit. I would feel like a tottal douche if any of these help me find my dad/person/etc ever turned out to be true but there is no way that dog tag is that old.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

If this story is true, the principal must be a nonce and they don't just watch the show together. :smith:

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

The only thing our principal was a huge fan of was Jack Daniels.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Darth Freddy posted:

edit. I would feel like a tottal douche if any of these help me find my dad/person/etc ever turned out to be true but there is no way that dog tag is that old.

While I'm not an expert by any means, if that dog tag isn't a reproduction then by my understanding it dates to the mid-60s at the latest. USMC dog tags switched in 1965 from using the Marine's service number on line 3 to using their Social Security number, and the number on that tag is two digits too short to be an SSN. Obviously this might still be STDH, but the format of the dog tag at least places it in the right time period.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Darth Freddy posted:

Or, you know, that loving tourist hipster douche could call the United States Marine Corp and tell them they found a dog tag from Vietnam instead of using the million monkeys that comprise the internet.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This is why I can never be a devoted super fan of anything. It makes you insane and stupid enough to think the world works this way.

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

Rick_Hunter posted:

Or, you know, that loving tourist hipster douche could call the United States Marine Corp and tell them they found a dog tag from Vietnam instead of using the million monkeys that comprise the internet.

And instead use the million monkeys that comprise the United States Marine Corp?

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Fool and the World posted:

And instead use the million monkeys that comprise the United States Marine Corp?

A million monkeys with records used to find stuff like this all the time because it's their job, yeah.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rick_Hunter posted:

Why bother asking if you already know it's a fake tag? The "1984028" line is supposed to be a full 9-digit social security number (And I'm pretty sure all tags of the era had the notch from the debossing machine)

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 16:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

I recognize this as the English language, but these words do not make sense to me.

content:

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Leninboarrir posted:

I recognize this as the English language, but these words do not make sense to me.

content:

To this day I am still laughing and cannot stop. Send help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Sentient Data posted:

Why bother asking if you already know it's a fake tag? The "1984028" line is supposed to be a full 9-digit social security number (And I'm pretty sure all tags of the era had the notch from the debossing machine)

My point being this is obviously STDH because no one's first instinct should be to use the internet as their legion of lackeys when you're looking at a Federal ID.

• Locked thread