Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

I'm after some chill guitar music e: albums. I want stuff similar to Pink Moon (as in almost entirely guitar with nice vocals). The only thing I've got that even comes close is When The Haar Rolls In by James Yorkston

Probably some good old depressing Leonard Cohen. If you like this, get the album, "The Best of Leonard Cohen".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fMnF0Fvdpo

Sufjan Stevens album Seven Swans might fit the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OkX_r032PM

It doesn't have vocals but the most soothing guitar music I enjoy is by John Fahey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqyCfsYjOs

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

strap on revenge posted:

I'm after some chill guitar music e: albums. I want stuff similar to Pink Moon (as in almost entirely guitar with nice vocals). The only thing I've got that even comes close is When The Haar Rolls In by James Yorkston

Nina Nastasia,Iron and Wine, Elliott Smith, Smog, Papa M/David Pajo, Syd Barrett, the National Lights, Will Oldham/Palace/Bonny Prince Billy, Pedro the Lion, The Mountain Goats (earlier stuff in particular), Damien Jurado... really, there's a lot of stuff that scratches that itch for me. Most of these musicians mentioned aren't exclusively guitar and vocals, though.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

strap on revenge posted:

Off the top of my head, John Martyn, King Creosote, Al Stewart, Davy Graham and Bert Jansch all have stuff that fit the bill. Maybe Malcolm Middleton too, though he's more depressing than chill.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking for some good Trance music and artists. The kind of trance that invokes Sci-Fi or sounds otherworldly. The kind of trance where you can stare at the stars and imagine that your floating, if that makes sense?

90s trance and / or Goa is great for this. Check out Sasha + Digweed, particularly Renaissance, Expeditions, and Northern Exposure. Also try Hallucinogen and Shpongle.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Off the top of my head, John Martyn, King Creosote, Al Stewart, Davy Graham and Bert Jansch all have stuff that fit the bill. Maybe Malcolm Middleton too, though he's more depressing than chill.

I've asked before in the Where do I start with X thread about King Creosote but no one ever got back to me. I've got Diamond Mine and love it but he has so many albums and the only other one I got (That Might Well Be It, Darling) wasn't anything like it so I'm still not sure where to look.

Thanks everyone for all the others, I'll start checking them out today.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking for some good Trance music and artists. The kind of trance that invokes Sci-Fi or sounds otherworldly. The kind of trance where you can stare at the stars and imagine that your floating, if that makes sense?

Try E-Mantra - Arcana, Pleiadians - Identified Flying Object, and Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I like tough, sloppy three-chord rock. Garage rock sorta stuff. Anyone know of any modern bands playing this style?

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Yaws posted:

I like tough, sloppy three-chord rock. Garage rock sorta stuff. Anyone know of any modern bands playing this style?

You'll like Japandroids, they're a two-piece who sing about getting drunk, rocking out, getting girls and getting drunk. Think Andrew W.K. with better lyrics and less production.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The answer to that is still and will always be The Mummies. gently caress you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pxEieRaGmA

or this band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxRsVISi6c

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Yaws posted:

Dinosaur Pile-Up, Sucioperro, maybe Yuck

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A couple of weeks ago I listened to Dream of Stone by Gazpacho, and now I'm tired, confused and the only thing I know is that my Spotify history is just a long, unbroken row of this wonderful, beautiful band.

I really don't know where to go from here, I think Night might just be the best thing I've ever heard, and I don't know how to top that. Is there anything out there that manages to balance an emotional, powerful, proggy and rich sound the way Gazpacho does?

Gazpacho - Dream Of Stone: http://youtu.be/8c6nuFFgZgE

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 30, 2014

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Marillion are probably Gazpacho's biggest influence—and despite the band's official stance on their name, I'm pretty sure they named themselves after the Marillion song rather than the soup. There's not really any one Marillion album I'd associate most with Gazpacho's sound on Night, but I'd recommend starting with Marbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6WoPdTJO3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3-FYNNuvU

Some of Mew's songs also have a similar vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKmGKAVUk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuU8f3mV_k

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hi all, first up - I'm quite out of the loop when it comes to the various bands, etc. out there - and music in general, to be honest - since I've never really listened to all that much before, apart from the odd song. However, this year I've been needing to drive approx. two hours each day to get to/from work, so my usual selection isn't really enough in terms of quantity. So yeah, if you all wouldn't mind giving some recommendations as to what I should look into in order to expand my library, I would greatly appreciate it!

So, the music I listen to most is of course anything by Queen, then CCR (I guess mostly 'Fortunate Son', 'Sweet Hitchhiker', 'Bad Moon Rising', among others), then just a bunch of other songs that I've come across (now that I think about it, most of them featuring in the Battlefield Vietnam soundtrack back from when I used to play that a lot, heh), such as 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs, 'Volunteers' by Jefferson Airplane, 'War' by Edwin Starr, 'All day and all of the night' by The Kinks and possibly a couple of others songs/artists that I don't recall at the moment. But mostly Queen, though; that stuff is on a whole 'nother level.

So yeah, I'm not really sure what the above selection will make you think of my tastes in music (seriously - aside from Queen, I've got no real idea as to how highly these bands/artists are regarded) but if anyone does have any suggestions as to songs/artists that I might enjoy, I would greatly appreciate it! Since as much as I love 'Don't Stop Me Now', I think a little variety is needed, at this stage :D

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't really get people who obsess over Queen, but you seem to enjoy classic rock. Maybe you'd like, I dunno, the Rolling Stones? I like Sticky Fingers. It's a pretty good record. How about Bowie? Try Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory or Diamond Dogs.

You sound like you might also enjoy listening to the radio. All of the songs you like and more! are played on classic rock radio.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

BigFactory posted:

I don't really get people who obsess over Queen, but you seem to enjoy classic rock. Maybe you'd like, I dunno, the Rolling Stones? I like Sticky Fingers. It's a pretty good record. How about Bowie? Try Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory or Diamond Dogs.

You sound like you might also enjoy listening to the radio. All of the songs you like and more! are played on classic rock radio.

I think you may be right about Sticky Fingers, there! I may need to look into getting some of the Rolling Stones' songs. Same for David Bowe, for that matter. Reminds me of the semi-recent TV show 'Ashes to Ashes', which is titled after Bowe's song of the same name - which as I recall also had some good songs featuring in it, so I think I may have some more contenders there, too.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely need to investigate further! (As for the radio part, that is an idea - although is anyone aware of any decent classic rock stations in South Australia? Most of the stations I've listened to in general aren't all thaat great/in alignment with my preferences, but I might need to look further, I guess)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

I think you may be right about Sticky Fingers, there! I may need to look into getting some of the Rolling Stones' songs. Same for David Bowe, for that matter. Reminds me of the semi-recent TV show 'Ashes to Ashes', which is titled after Bowe's song of the same name - which as I recall also had some good songs featuring in it, so I think I may have some more contenders there, too.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely need to investigate further! (As for the radio part, that is an idea - although is anyone aware of any decent classic rock stations in South Australia? Most of the stations I've listened to in general aren't all thaat great/in alignment with my preferences, but I might need to look further, I guess)

So if you like the Stones (or Bowie or any of those bands you mentioned), I'd probably say just get a greatest hits package because you don't seem to have the encyclopedic rock roots that a lot of people have. Its not a bad thing, that's what compilations are made for, I guess.

Personally, I'm sick to death of the Stones songs you hear on the radio and think their album cuts are a lot more interesting. So if you're listening to Sticky Fingers and find yourself getting into Sway, Moonlight Mile and Can't You Hear Me Knocking instead of Brown Sugar, you can give some full albums a go.

A lot of people prefer their early material, which is great, but a little different from the Stadium Rock Stones from the late 60's and 70's. Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St are all great. Black and Blue is probably the last record where the good stuff outweighs the garbage, and after that it's a real mixed bag.

Can't help you on Aussie radio, sorry.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hi all, first up - I'm quite out of the loop when it comes to the various bands, etc. out there - and music in general, to be honest - since I've never really listened to all that much before, apart from the odd song. However, this year I've been needing to drive approx. two hours each day to get to/from work, so my usual selection isn't really enough in terms of quantity. So yeah, if you all wouldn't mind giving some recommendations as to what I should look into in order to expand my library, I would greatly appreciate it!

So, the music I listen to most is of course anything by Queen, then CCR (I guess mostly 'Fortunate Son', 'Sweet Hitchhiker', 'Bad Moon Rising', among others), then just a bunch of other songs that I've come across (now that I think about it, most of them featuring in the Battlefield Vietnam soundtrack back from when I used to play that a lot, heh), such as 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs, 'Volunteers' by Jefferson Airplane, 'War' by Edwin Starr, 'All day and all of the night' by The Kinks and possibly a couple of others songs/artists that I don't recall at the moment. But mostly Queen, though; that stuff is on a whole 'nother level.

So yeah, I'm not really sure what the above selection will make you think of my tastes in music (seriously - aside from Queen, I've got no real idea as to how highly these bands/artists are regarded) but if anyone does have any suggestions as to songs/artists that I might enjoy, I would greatly appreciate it! Since as much as I love 'Don't Stop Me Now', I think a little variety is needed, at this stage :D

Foxy Shazam and Muse are two bands that are very much trying to be Queen these days. I don't like their recent material as much but I recommend going backwards through their discographies as Queen's influence has become more and more obvious over they ears.

For CCR I recommend Aerosmith, The Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers Band and maybe the more guitar-heavy albums of Neil Young (Everybody Knows This is Nowhere comes to mind).

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Black Griffon posted:

A couple of weeks ago I listened to Dream of Stone by Gazpacho, and now I'm tired, confused and the only thing I know is that my Spotify history is just a long, unbroken row of this wonderful, beautiful band.

I really don't know where to go from here, I think Night might just be the best thing I've ever heard, and I don't know how to top that. Is there anything out there that manages to balance an emotional, powerful, proggy and rich sound the way Gazpacho does?

Gazpacho - Dream Of Stone: http://youtu.be/8c6nuFFgZgE

This is my first listen of Gazpacho, but I'm getting a major Porcupine Tree vibe- specifically Fear of a Blank Planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6psOf1B79w

I'll also second Mew, they're ridiculously good

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Major Isoor posted:

The best way to go about would probably either be to listen to those band's discographies and come back and tell us which ones you liked (for instance, if you liked Sheer Heart Attack or Queen II, that might provoke different suggestions than, say, Innuendo or The Game) or, failing that, putting in an artist name into Pandora/Spotify/et al and seeing what songs or other artists you like.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

strap on revenge posted:

I've asked before in the Where do I start with X thread about King Creosote but no one ever got back to me. I've got Diamond Mine and love it but he has so many albums and the only other one I got (That Might Well Be It, Darling) wasn't anything like it so I'm still not sure where to look.

Thanks everyone for all the others, I'll start checking them out today.

I'm presonally a big fan of KC Rules OK, but his latest album From Scotland With Love is excellent too. Also might be worth checking out the album he did with Jon Hopkins; it's less guitar-focused, but really chill and cool.

On another note, a friend introduced me to the Space Cossacks recently and I've been hooked on them, Laika and the Cosmonauts and Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Any suggestions for similar modern surf or surf-influenced bands?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I'm presonally a big fan of KC Rules OK, but his latest album From Scotland With Love is excellent too. Also might be worth checking out the album he did with Jon Hopkins; it's less guitar-focused, but really chill and cool.

On another note, a friend introduced me to the Space Cossacks recently and I've been hooked on them, Laika and the Cosmonauts and Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. Any suggestions for similar modern surf or surf-influenced bands?

Try Cul De Sac. The only album I've by them is China Gate but it's like a surfy post-rock thing. Here's the track Sakhalin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcumDtHDnE4

It's pretty rad.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions, guys - I'm just ordering a couple of greatest hits/platinum collections now for Rolling Stones + David Bowie (I've only listened to a handful of Bowie songs but well, the three disc platinum collection is only like, $1 than the other greatest hits bundles, so why not, I say!) since I want to get at least some new tracks ASAP. I've listened to some of the other suggestions made by you, Santa and I'm liking the sound of them - I might listen in some more tomorrow night too, and make up my mind as to what I want then.

Thanks again all, this should help keep me going! :D

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

PlatinumJukebox posted:

That's Diamond Mine which I've already got. Will listen to KC Rules OK and From Scotland With Love though

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
So, I really like 'Gramatik'. Especially tunes like: 'Hit that Jive'and 'Just Jammin'. Ive in the first place not really an idea what kinda style you could classify his music as, so that makes searching for other stuff kinda difficult (wikipedia describes it as: "a mixture of hip-hop, glitch, electro, and dubstep"). Any suggestions about either similar artists or maybe some info about this music style would be appreciated.
'

VenusInFurries
Apr 12, 2014

<3 tsalaroth

PaulDirac posted:

So, I really like 'Gramatik'. Especially tunes like: 'Hit that Jive'and 'Just Jammin'. Ive in the first place not really an idea what kinda style you could classify his music as, so that makes searching for other stuff kinda difficult (wikipedia describes it as: "a mixture of hip-hop, glitch, electro, and dubstep"). Any suggestions about either similar artists or maybe some info about this music style would be appreciated.
'

The best word I have found for Gramatik is "Electro soul".

The one immediately to come to mind is Pretty Lights, who is less into the hiphop direction, but sounds rather similar. There's also GRiZ, Eskmo, Chinese Man and Prefuse73. Then depending on how far you want to go away from it, there are some more, but that strays a bit far.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I want music to imagine myself driving through neon lights at night to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbQLfl2O7pY Jupiter - Starlighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2d8SetFWjk Lazerhawk - Star Hustler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOO1cMTkSg Power Glove - Night Force
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iem75nuzok Lifelike - Night Patrol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cVe-R90XrA MAM - Crushed Ice

I don't know if there is a genre name for this, but I just recently found this kind of stuff and I really dig it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

signalnoise posted:

I don't know if there is a genre name for this, but I just recently found this kind of stuff and I really dig it.
You'd probably make some new finds just trawling through the related videos in those examples of yours, but barring that you could try Perturbator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNeQ1B5zpOw

I've no idea if there's an actual genre name for this stuff, I personally just call it retro electro. :shrug:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Rollersnake posted:

Marillion are probably Gazpacho's biggest influence—and despite the band's official stance on their name, I'm pretty sure they named themselves after the Marillion song rather than the soup. There's not really any one Marillion album I'd associate most with Gazpacho's sound on Night, but I'd recommend starting with Marbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6WoPdTJO3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob3-FYNNuvU

Some of Mew's songs also have a similar vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soKmGKAVUk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuU8f3mV_k

Hooplah posted:

This is my first listen of Gazpacho, but I'm getting a major Porcupine Tree vibe- specifically Fear of a Blank Planet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6psOf1B79w

I'll also second Mew, they're ridiculously good

I'm so happy now. Last time I listened to Mew was back when Am I wry was big on the radio. I had no idea they'd gone in such an awesome direction (and the earlier albums were pretty awesome on their own, so yeah). Porcupine tree is a favorite of mine, and thanks for the Marillion tip. I've always had a little trouble knowing where to start with them, both because of the size of their discography and the amount of stuff they make that's just so weird.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 7, 2014

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down
To anyone who knows anything about Indian music. About a year ago I knew of this Indian producer from the 70s and 80s, but before I got a chance to really look into his stuff, I forgot his name, and lately I'm trying to remember. The guy was a little chubby and wore dark glasses. I think his name was something along the lines of "Boppi."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KevinHeaven posted:

To anyone who knows anything about Indian music. About a year ago I knew of this Indian producer from the 70s and 80s, but before I got a chance to really look into his stuff, I forgot his name, and lately I'm trying to remember. The guy was a little chubby and wore dark glasses. I think his name was something along the lines of "Boppi."

Just a stab, but is it this guy? (I don't know much about Indian music however, so I could be way off. I had a few free minutes though, so I thought I might as well make a few searches online because why not)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 8, 2014

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

signalnoise posted:

Check out Perturbator as Nordick said, also everythign on https://aphasiarecords.bandcamp.com (that includes Perturbator, except for his latest album)

There's also always Kavinsky.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

signalnoise posted:

Com Truise

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Whoa thanks, this is great stuff all around

KevinHeaven
Aug 26, 2008

I run the voodoo down

Major Isoor posted:

Just a stab, but is it this guy? (I don't know much about Indian music however, so I could be way off. I had a few free minutes though, so I thought I might as well make a few searches online because why not)

It is...I made a lot of different searches too but couldn't find that guy. Thanks

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Whoa thanks, this is great stuff all around

You might like this thread — there's music in it: PYF Descent Into The Neon Underground.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jeherrin posted:

You might like this thread — there's music in it: PYF Descent Into The Neon Underground.

Whoa awesome! Thanks for this, this is exactly what I want

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for stuff similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZK4al4dvA
The freeflowing lyrics and sorta dancehall beat. Love Major Lazer and Diplo so not afraid to move into the more dance music area.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I used to be really explorative with my music tastes but I just seem to be cycling between Radiohead and The Mountain Goats over and over again. I need to spice things up. Any suggestions?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Gushing Granny posted:

I used to be really explorative with my music tastes but I just seem to be cycling between Radiohead and The Mountain Goats over and over again. I need to spice things up. Any suggestions?

Jingle Cats and Sergio Mendes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gushing Granny posted:

If you like sort of the folkier side of those bands, try some Oscar Brand or maybe Charlie Weaver.