Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

wanna eat that peruvian stir fry

what is wrong with that. i mean even if you prefer 'african americans' what word do you use for black people who aren't american

"black people"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

like i know you're from australia but here we don't call them "the blicks"

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Badger of Basra posted:

yeah righto i wasn't trying to say that, i thought that referring to them by colour was what he was taking issue with. also fix your fake accent before getting smug, that's a saffer one you're using

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

yeah righto i wasn't trying to say that, i thought that referring to them by colour was what he was taking issue with. also fix your fake accent before getting smug, that's a saffer one you're using

yeah it's a subtle thing. like how it's okay to say "a chinese person" but not "a chinese."

also, would "the blecks" be closer?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

That's Sewth Ifrica.

Was FSAD black or was that a troll.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxEweP2TiMk

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I couldn't think of a better thread for this.

A veteran political reporter wrote this.

Just unbelievable. "...and no allowance for a moral leader to do something immoral without being proved a rank hypocrite..." is actually a thing this guy thinks is a bad thing. The idea that politicians should get to have private lives and mistresses in those private lives is a plague on any country with pretensions to a popular vote. I'm not saying hound people out of politics for having a mistress (or a mister) but if you've got something scandalous going on you owe it to the people voting to be upfront about it. Remember that rear end in a top hat John Edwards?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Peztopiary posted:

I couldn't think of a better thread for this.

A veteran political reporter wrote this.

Just unbelievable. "...and no allowance for a moral leader to do something immoral without being proved a rank hypocrite..." is actually a thing this guy thinks is a bad thing. The idea that politicians should get to have private lives and mistresses in those private lives is a plague on any country with pretensions to a popular vote. I'm not saying hound people out of politics for having a mistress (or a mister) but if you've got something scandalous going on you owe it to the people voting to be upfront about it. Remember that rear end in a top hat John Edwards?

Speaking of which, is anyone else bothered by the fact that the Clinton-Lewinsky affair was all about it being extramarital sex instead of being about sexual assault of an intern? Or is it that interns do not apply under labor laws, so she would not have a case? Still hosed up, though. He gets to be Good Old Boy Clinton with his foundations and global this and that, and she gets to have this haunt her to this day, with no recourse.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

zoux posted:

That's Sewth Ifrica.
maybe new zealand?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Speaking of which, is anyone else bothered by the fact that the Clinton-Lewinsky affair was all about it being extramarital sex instead of being about sexual assault of an intern? Or is it that interns do not apply under labor laws, so she would not have a case? Still hosed up, though. He gets to be Good Old Boy Clinton with his foundations and global this and that, and she gets to have this haunt her to this day, with no recourse.

Whoa it's almost like theres a kind of double standard w/r/t sexuality for the genders.

But is your assertion that sex between people of unequal social, economic or political standing cannot be consensual?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

zoux posted:

Whoa it's almost like theres a kind of double standard w/r/t sexuality for the genders.

But is your assertion that sex between people of unequal social, economic or political standing cannot be consensual?

It's not particularly consensual when one can fire the other.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wouldn't the logical consequence of that be that the greatest generation is full of rapists due to women in occupied post-war Germany and Japan having even less economic and social agency regarding US soldiers?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Randler posted:

Wouldn't the logical consequence of that be that the greatest generation is full of rapists due to women in occupied post-war Germany and Japan having even less economic and social agency regarding US soldiers?

yeah

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

I think that when someone is in a position of authority over another, then consent is very dubious. And when you're interning for the President, I would say that they are in a position of authority over you.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Randler posted:

That's kinda sorta the main point of some of Dworkin's writing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

It's not particularly consensual when one can fire the other.

But you see, Sally Hemmings was able to consent because

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Are you trying to rob brave Sally Hemmings of her agency??! She just wanted her sons to learn a trade

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you trying to say that Sally Hemmings and Monica Lewinsky occupied the same social niche?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Grimoire posted:

Free will and agency are the main point of a lot of people's writings.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Are you trying to say that Sally Hemmings and Monica Lewinsky occupied the same social niche?

I'm not sure "falling under the gaze of a literal slobbering cartoon wolf" counts as a social niche but if it does go for it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

More like one is a literal chattel slave and the other is an intern, which while we make jokes about it being akin to slavery, are in fact not even in the same conceptual galaxy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

More like one is a literal chattel slave and the other is an intern, which while we make jokes about it being akin to slavery, are in fact not even in the same conceptual galaxy.

I'm glad you tacked this down, somebody might not have understood it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Grimoire posted:

well thats one author i dont have to bother with lol

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:catstare:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kaaba selfie is perfectly acceptable, get with the times grandpa

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It is haram as gently caress imo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I thought they banned selfies there

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

It is haram as gently caress imo

rscott posted:

I thought they banned selfies there

"i agree with the saudi authorities" - zoux

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that and ....women drivers:razz::razz::razz:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

tbp posted:

well thats one author i dont have to bother with lol

she's no bell hooks that's for sure

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

KoldPT posted:

she's no bell hooks that's for sure

lol yeah thats gonna happen

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i also wont read anything by e.e. cummings

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

tbp posted:

i also wont read anything by e.e. cummings

you should read guns germs & steel

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

my best political book is Black Skin White Masks ftw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

She wasn't working for the WH when the sex occurred. Maybe.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Whats even inside that thing?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A meteor.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whats even inside that thing?

An asteroid fragment.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Speaking of Bill Cosby and sexual assault by someone who can fire you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

zoux posted:

A meteor.

*meteorite

• Locked thread