Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

I don't think he sat there twirling his mustache, no, but I'm pretty sure he did it intentionally to rile people up and troll them and chose his name with foreknowledge that he could combine the two. I don't think he did it to 'keep people reading' but because he enjoys the reaction he gets and seeks to provoke more of it. Which is a difference from Hickman straight-up regardless of anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I think that Slott goes to the Stan Lee school of working people up in a frenzy in his books so they keep reading (which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right) but I don't think he sat there and changed his username and picture while laughing going "hahahaha that'll show people who liked an old cartoon" while twirling a mustache like he's being painted.

Like that was his username before the book came out, he just changed the avatar, which as he's done for the last few years will be changed again when the next issue comes out.

Well I'm not so much angry as I am disappointed in him resorting to the kind of cheap grimdarkness that he criticised through Squirrel Girl. That's frankly worse in my opinion, cynically exploiting outrage. It's really putting me off comics in general, to be honest.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

(which as Spider-Verse continues on I'm sure people here will prove him right)

This thread gets like six posts a week when you aren't rushing in to defend Slott's honor so it's probably not the best place to predict an "I told you so" surge in numbers.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

SirDan3k posted:

This thread gets like six posts a week when you aren't rushing in to defend Slott's honor so it's probably not the best place to predict an "I told you so" surge in numbers.

My point was people will still be reading and complaining about Slotts stuff as they did through Big Time, Ends of the Earth, Superior and so on. Or just "not read it" and jump on the recent ~controversial point~ to complain.

And I'm not defending Slott i'm saying people are getting worked up over nothing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Of course the out of destroying alternate universes is just using the out of "oh this is a similar alternate universe but not THAT" which I guess is exactly what happened in this case.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Waterhaul posted:

Like that was his username before the book came out, he just changed the avatar, which as he's done for the last few years will be changed again when the next issue comes out.

So Dan Slott didn't know what his own book would contain and it was just a coincidence that he changed his name to that and then chose that specific avatar while going on Twitter and insulting people getting mad about the content? That's your defense here?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Yeah, I read because a friend of mine picks it up. I'd certainly not pay for Slott's current output. Which sucks because Spider-man is hands down my favorite character. Marvel gets plenty of my cash, but none of it for Spider-man and I hate that. Oh well guess I'll ways have Miles.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I really, really hope Spider-man & The X-Men is good, I want to read some Peter so much. At least the Spider-verse tie-ins have been pretty good so far.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And you can compare Hickman to this when he shows the Cabal brutally murdering the Super Hero Squad universe while they laugh about how innocent the place is. Until then, nope.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Codependent Poster posted:

And you can compare Hickman to this when he shows the Cabal brutally murdering the Super Hero Squad universe while they laugh about how innocent the place is. Until then, nope.

Frankly, the stuff the Cabal has done is worse than anything Morlun has done. Like he's seriously amateur hour compared to what the Cabal has been doing.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

notthegoatseguy posted:

Of course the out of destroying alternate universes is just using the out of "oh this is a similar alternate universe but not THAT" which I guess is exactly what happened in this case.
This is pretty much word-for-word what I'm going to tell myself after this storyline is over if Dan Slott manages to ruin MC2.

At least Felicity Hardy should be okay, solely by virtue of the fact that none of the writers are going to remember that she was ever a Scarlet Spider.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!

The Question IRL posted:

Frankly, the stuff the Cabal has done is worse than anything Morlun has done. Like he's seriously amateur hour compared to what the Cabal has been doing.

From a totally objective standpoint, sure. But the writing is handled entirely different. Hickman is demonstrating how far out of Namor's control the Cabal has fallen. Slott's writing of late seems mean spirited in a way that's directed at his audience.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Question IRL posted:

It's not really an apt comparison. New Avengers is deliberately bleak and horrifying, and while a specific issue might be more or less difficult to read because of that, particularly the last one, you knew what you were in for when you picked it up.

With this "Amazing Friends" thing, it comes halfway through an issue that is otherwise devoted to a pretty light and fun team-up with Kamala Khan, of all characters, and there's a very '90s reveling in how twisted an idea it is. Nobody's expecting a story arc like this one to be all sweetness and light, but this issue in particular feels mean-spirited.

I don't blame Slott for having an adversarial relationship with his fans--he does, after all, write comic books--but going on Twitter and waving his dick in the air over this is just as tone-deaf as the story itself. There are reasons to be annoyed with this besides your childhood taking a hit.

Also, you could do better for a name for an alternate-universe Spider-Man who's joined the Captain Britain Corps than "Spider-UK," even if he was something like "Codename: Spider" or the Westchester Webweaver or something. Spider-UK just doesn't sound like somebody's name.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Waterhaul posted:

Again it's just a dumb Halloween thing. Jeff Parker's name is currently Jeff Slenderman, PI. It doesn't mean he thinks he's Slenderman. And he changes his twitter picture to whatever Spider-Man thing he's currently doing.

And a character said the show was just a dumb old cartoon, so what . Morlun is not the guy whose opinions you're supposed to be agreeing with.

So, Matt Fraction isn't a butt stuff werewolf?

This was my first issue since Slott started on the book, and I thought it was actually pretty good. My first exposure to Spider-Man was a VHS copy of a couple Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, and I didn't mind the back up at all. I don't mind them breaking a few eggs to make a omelette that has all the Spider-Mans. I quit reading Amazing partially because I thought I read all the Spider-Man stories, but Crisis on Infinite Spidey's is just the thing I'm looking for.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Matt Fraction is absolutely a Butt Stuff Werewolf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

My point was people will still be reading and complaining about Slotts stuff as they did through Big Time, Ends of the Earth, Superior and so on. Or just "not read it" and jump on the recent ~controversial point~ to complain.

And I'm not defending Slott i'm saying people are getting worked up over nothing.

I haven't been keeping up with Slott's stuff actually. I read this issue because of Ms Marvel. v:shobon:v

I don't buy comics I don't think I'm going to like and I'm certainly not looking for things to complain about or else I'd be reading a lot more DC comics. I just think it was a dumb and rather mean-spirited joke.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 9, 2014

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I would just like to address two points.

1. Pretending that no one cares About the universe is downright disingenuous, maybe not enough to read about it. That doesn't mean people don't care.

2. Pretending this is just Slott hate is odd as the thread has been basically dead until now. So obviously this actually effects people.

Just comes off like you trolling water.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, Hickman is doing the same thing. Though the universes aren't that recognizable, I guess.
Hickman isn't killing off the Ultimate universe for shock value, he's killing off characters that have similarities to other universes, but aren't specific IE: The Justice League universe. That's fine, he isn't killing off beloved characters or bragging about killing anyone's childhood. Everything flows well within Hickman's narrative, and nothing he does is completely for shock value to rile people up.

Slott relies on irritating or angering fans to get them to rage-buy his comics, and because he doesn't take criticism well at all, he trolls all of them or threatens to sue them when they are rightfully angered at the thing he wrote to anger people. He might be a good big-idea type of guy but god bless, please take him off Spider-Man and let someone else write his stories. I tried reading Superior Spider-Man, and some of the stuff Slott wrote in Volume 1 was just disgusting and shouldn't have ever been approved to be printed, this is Spider-Man, not a 90's spawn comic.

And stop killing off innocent young female heroes families. It literally accomplishes nothing positive to any narrative, people who get the book later just don't ever talk about it anyway. Anya never had a tragic backstory until she became Spider-Girl and the first thing they did was kill off her father, whom she had a really close bond with, which was something completely different from most teen heroes. irrc he even knew she was a hero, too which is actually something that isn't done often enough in comics.

Spider-Gwen chat: What point is killing Captain Stacy off going to prove? Her push to become a better hero was already there, as the moment Peter died. That's perfect, she doesn't need anything more. If they drop her in the 616 universe, she has even more motivation to get back home because she misses her real father. That's good, too. Now she has really nothing to go back to. Maybe 616 Mary Jane is slightly different but everything else is kinda the same. The only thing I could think they'd do is introducing Spider-Gwen and having her try and reconnect with a brand-new father who lost his daughter decades ago, and try and fall in love with Peter because why not???

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Spider-Gwen has her band to go back to. That's not nothing.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, this. I can stand Hickman using the Incursions and the Cabal to destroy universes because he wants to show them being out of control and you get the feeling there's a larger plan in effect.

Killing of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends or an Spider-Cat seems almost jokey and confrontational. I didn't like it and I am no fan of that cartoon.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Flameingblack posted:

Spider-Gwen chat: What point is killing Captain Stacy off going to prove? Her push to become a better hero was already there, as the moment Peter died. That's perfect, she doesn't need anything more. If they drop her in the 616 universe, she has even more motivation to get back home because she misses her real father. That's good, too. Now she has really nothing to go back to. Maybe 616 Mary Jane is slightly different but everything else is kinda the same. The only thing I could think they'd do is introducing Spider-Gwen and having her try and reconnect with a brand-new father who lost his daughter decades ago, and try and fall in love with Peter because why not???
Captain Stacy has been dead in the main timeline since 1970. If OMD didn't bring him back, it's safe to say that nothing will.

Which is why hopefully he won't die in Spider-Verse, because I think part of the novelty of a Spider-Gwen universe would be that the supporting characters most notorious for being dead in 616 (Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy, Gwen, Jean DeWolff, Ned Leeds et al) would be alive and well and driving the plot in such a series. Killing Captain Stacy would seriously dilute that, I think, and deprive us of the really interesting father-daughter dynamic we saw during their debut.

Of course, I have a strong suspicion that both Captain Stacy and MC2 Peter Parker are utterly hosed, because apparently every female character in Spider-Man needs to be homogenized with the exact same pathos Peter has.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I love this thread. I get all the drama of the book, plus a good sense of if I should read the book again, and I don't even have to give Dan Slott a cent to know. Because that's what he wants, people. He wants you so outraged you spend money on his book. Which is dumb, but works.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I love this thread. I get all the drama of the book, plus a good sense of if I should read the book again, and I don't even have to give Dan Slott a cent to know. Because that's what he wants, people. He wants you so outraged you spend money on his book. Which is dumb, but works.
Aren't the sales for ASM going downhill anyway?

What happened to you, Dan Slott? You used to be cool.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aren't the sales for ASM going downhill anyway?

If by that you mean is Amazing Spider-Man Marvel's best selling book, outselling even their regular event books, than yes, yes it is.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I'm beginning to question why I'm still giving money for this crap. It's so badly written.

I think I'm just holding out to see who next takes the helm...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

If by that you mean is Amazing Spider-Man Marvel's best selling book, outselling even their regular event books, than yes, yes it is.
Which says more about the godawful state of the industry than the book's quality.

Edit: Oh look, the sales are declining.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I'm beginning to question why I'm still giving money for this crap. It's so badly written.

Then don't buy it, for god's sake. If you're still buying it, than you're tacitly indicating your approval. Spend your money on better books.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 10, 2014

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Nobody, because you keep giving them money for it, as has been repeatedly said about incredibly poo poo and trite shock writers for years.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

Which says more about the godawful state of the industry than the book's quality.

Edit: Oh look, the sales are declining.

If you want to ignore the fact that #1 had the unsustainable over half a million sales and don't include like half of the issues that have been released since then, sure.

Also Spider-Verse is going to sell gangbusters too.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 10, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A new #1 of one of the best known comics selling a ton of issues? Surely that denotes interest in the story and not the zombified corpse of the collector's market rearing its decaying head.

Is there any way to know how many of those issues were actually purchased vs how many were shipped to stores?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
As much as I'd find it delicious if Slott managed to sink the unsinkable ship he so desperately clung to during a line wide shake up, yeah those numbers are just evening out after a big collector boom.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

If you want to ignore the fact that #1 had the unsustainable over half a million sales and don't include like half of the issues that have been released since then, sure.

Also Spider-Verse is going to sell gangbusters too.

Um...they just released ASM 7.How is that missing half of the issues? Unless you're counting the point ones as well. And that doesn't change the fact that sales were still declining. And yes, Spider-Verse will boost sales...temporarily. Until it ends and then there'll be another slump. I'd rather have a book that sells consistently well and doesn't resort to cheap gimmicks to remain a sustainable long-term prospect, rather than the current 'lurch from event to event and deliberately antagonise the fanbase to goad them into buying the book'. Is that too much to ask?

Lurdiak posted:

A new #1 of one of the best known comics selling a ton of issues? Surely that denotes interest in the story and not the zombified corpse of the collector's market rearing its decaying head.

Is there any way to know how many of those issues were actually purchased vs how many were shipped to stores?

That and apparently it was also included in the Loot Crate/Nerd Block on top of that. And it had a stupid amount of variant covers, too.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Spider Gwen gets an ongoing

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
The only Spider-Man to show up in Alex Ross' Secret Wars 2015 promo image is Miles Morales.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ASM has never had a sales problem in any recent creation team from JMS on up. It very well could be one of those titles that is going to have a base that is pretty loyal regardless of its creator. They were selling 30-50k per issue during the BND era when they were publishing 3x a month. Slott has scaled back to 2x a month for most months since he took over and I think think after the tie ins for Spider-verse wrap up we'll sink back down to 60-70k per issue which is about what the first two Dying Wish issues did (the last Dying Wish was 700, which is obviously a collectors/variant market thing).

The secondary Spider titles and titles that try to spin out of Spider-Man, however, have a much different record.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Same team as the Edge of the Spider-verse issue, too! Please let it be in-continuity to that book and not shove her into 616

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Same team as the Edge of the Spider-verse issue, too! Please let it be in-continuity to that book and not shove her into 616

Doubt it as she has been announced to appear in Spider-women, so guess its going to be sort of a backdoor pilot for this book.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I could have sworn Gwen was in some other spider book in Previews this month that looked good but I keep forgetting to look it up. Maybe posting this will remind me when I get home.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

She's in Spider-Verse and the soon to be terrible Spider-Woman ongoing. I presume this is a reaction to either Spider-Gwen somehow doing a poo poo load of sales or Marvel trying to balance out some of the cancelled books/terrible response to Spider-Woman and the Manara stuff.

No title, no images or plot details and just a random date means it's a rushed together book they hope will catch on.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That might be good for it, though. It likely means Latour & co will be told "Whatever you did in that one-shot? Do that, but more of it."

Setting it in an alternate reality would be basically a ticking clock for the book, though. Unless Marvel (and DC) decide to pare back on 'events', then any book that isn't IMPORTANT or exceptionally, award-winningly good is going to have a limited shelf-life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

I noticed that too. On one hand, I'm not sure what this means about Peter. On the other hand, yay for more Miles.

• Locked thread