Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Buttery smooth scrolling on my 6+, trailers app works perfectly, wifi/bt is perfect. Big phone best phone no glitches. Go to android and or wait a year for a "good" phone all you want I'm sippin a mojito and wearin my Jordan's kicking back with this Plus.

Pretty much my experience with the 6+, too. I love the thing.

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Aannnnd Fitbit just lost all future purchases from me.

I am honestly, truly, disappointed.

Ah well.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Could be wrong but I think you can sync Fitbit with myfitnesspal and then sync mfp to healthkit so their could be a workaround for getting fitbit data into healthkit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love my Fitbit One and I don't think anyone else makes something like it. I don't want to wear anything on my wrist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dear Apple, please let me control apps like Spotify with Siri so I don't die in a horrible flaming wreck on the highway.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Raffles posted:

Could be wrong but I think you can sync Fitbit with myfitnesspal and then sync mfp to healthkit so their could be a workaround for getting fitbit data into healthkit.

Does this actually work? Myfitnesspal information is showing in my Healthkit, but my Withings Wifi scale is tied to MFP, but my daily weigh-in is still not showing in Healthkit. It's still not working despite everything being setup correctly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have to say it feels a little needlessly defensive and insecure to continually post about how your phone works perfectly. No one is calling the phone poo poo. It's got bugs. People are mentioning them. The nature of bugs is that not everyone gets them. If everyone got them, they would have been caught in QA. To post repeatedly about how your phone works so well is just pointless. Let people discuss issues without acting like an apologist.

Believe me, I'm as hardcore an apple fanboy as they come. I love my phone and it's not going anywhere. But these are bugs and they exist. Deal with it?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Feenix posted:

Believe me, I'm as hardcore an apple fanboy as they come. I love my phone and it's not going anywhere. But these are bugs and they exist. Deal with it?
That's the thing. I don't have to deal with it, because I don't experience any bugs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

That's the thing. I don't have to deal with it, because I don't experience any bugs.

I'm not sure if you'd posted multiple times about it. Dr Tim Whately seems like he's on a crusade to strike it all as hearsay.

Discussion is fine. If I have bugs and you don't, that's worth mentioning. I just mean the repeated posts. It seems, unnecessary.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh no, people are having different experiences than I am and posting about them. Obviously it must be because they're insecure rather than just doing exactly what I'm doing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

carry on then posted:

Oh no, people are having different experiences than I am and posting about them. Obviously it must be because they're insecure rather than just doing exactly what I'm doing.

Yes. Because that is what I said.

People having different experiences and discussing them is fine. People feeling the need to ground out the mentions of bugs with repeated posts of "My poo poo works fine so whatever, losers" is nothing but white noise bullshit.

I'm done discussing it. Just a little surprised (or maybe not) at the need to be so defensive about it.

Any rumors about when 8.1 is hitting? Would it seem likely to be right around when the new iPads get announced next week?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Dear Apple, please let me control apps like Spotify with Siri so I don't die in a horrible flaming wreck on the highway.

Agreed. If they can display the controls on the lock screen there's no excuse for there not being voice controls.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have an unlocked AT&T 5s, and am thinking of getting a 6 for myself, and passing my 5s on to my Mom as she's still on a 4s. The problem is that she's on Verizon. Will this be a problem, or does the old gsa/cdma problem not apply with the 5 line?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Verizon can't use unlocked devices as far as I know, only devices sold as Verizon to begin with. I think it's somehow related to devices still needing to be able to fall back to CDMA at times, and Verizon won't authorize other IMEIs.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

If the phone was not originally sold for Verizon it will not work on Verizon. This is still the case for the foreseeable future until they no longer use CDMA for voice and SMS.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

spunkshui posted:

Great service in my house, despite only having 1-2 bars at most.
Touch ID working flawlessly on 4 of my fingers and one of my wife's fingers.
The wifi is fast as hell, easy to turn off at work to deal with stupid filters on websites like this. Just as easy to switch back on after.
Only seen boot up screen when i first turned it on and installing 8.02.
Use blootooth every day in my car and with a speaker in the shower. Zero issues.
Not bent.
Not pulling out my hair

Just works.
This has been my experience since getting my 6+ 2 weeks ago. Also, shockingly, the phone won't bend unless you do incredibly stupid poo poo to it, like purposefully apply 90lbs of pressure on it like a total loving moron.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ahhh, ok. Thanks for the info!

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

flosofl posted:

Nope.

You have to make sure the phone is no longer on subsidy, but the carriers HAVE to unlock your phone now if you ask.

I called ATT and the rep mentioned you have to be off contract for 60 days before they unlock your phone. I wasn't thrilled to hear that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I experienced the most annoying bug two mornings in a row now. I'd wake up normal to my alarm, but I've been feeling sick so the last two mornings I opened up my default timer app and put in a 30 minute timer. Fall back asleep and wake up to the timer. Next step I'm not sure what happens but I somehow end up dismissing the notification on the lock screen but the timer is still ringing. I open up the timer app and there is no current timer set. There is no way to turn off the ringing unles I reboot the phone.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

voltron posted:

I called ATT and the rep mentioned you have to be off contract for 60 days before they unlock your phone. I wasn't thrilled to hear that.

AT&T has unlocked my last two iPhones within the week after my 2 years was up.

They just unlocked my last one a few days after my contract was up AND a day after I ported away from AT&T.

I know they're not just blindly approving every request, though --they denied me on the last day of my contract.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Verizon can't use unlocked devices as far as I know, only devices sold as Verizon to begin with. I think it's somehow related to devices still needing to be able to fall back to CDMA at times, and Verizon won't authorize other IMEIs.

Are you sure about that? When I bought my iPhone 5 I purchased a Verizon and it was unlocked. And I'm pretty sure iPhone 5 was both GSM and CDMA regardless. Apple didn't make different models for different carriers. If the model number is A1429, it will work.

Also, as part of the 750MHz deal, the government made Verizon promise to allow customers to use their networks with unlocked devices. As far as I know Verizon hasn't violated that.

Edit: nvm I are idiot. The 1429 was only Verizon and Sprint. You could use those on any GSM or CDMA (US) network. The 1428 was GSM only and unlocked cannot be used for CDMA. So you may be out of luck.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

flosofl posted:

Are you sure about that? When I bought my iPhone 5 I purchased a Verizon and it was unlocked. And I'm pretty sure iPhone 5 was both GSM and CDMA regardless. Apple didn't make different models for different carriers. If the model number is A1429, it will work.

Also, as part of the 750MHz deal, the government made Verizon promise to allow customers to use their networks with unlocked devices. As far as I know Verizon hasn't violated that.

Edit: nvm I are idiot. The 1429 was only Verizon and Sprint. You could use those on any GSM or CDMA (US) network. The 1428 was GSM only and unlocked cannot be used for CDMA. So you may be out of luck.

I'm not sure about the first part, but for the second part, I think Verizon is only required to allow unlocked devices on LTE, not their CDMA/voice/text network.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flosofl posted:

As I said, a device originally purchased as Verizon can be frequently be unlocked (or is sold in that form) and be taken to other carriers. The issue is trying to go the other way. This has nothing to do with hardware capabilities and more to do with Verizon not registering outside IMEIs for their CDMA network.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

If anyone else is dealing with pictures only partially loading or being corrupted on LTE (not wifi), I had an open case with AT&T. They said it might be the SIM card being lovely. It's not a hardware issue from what I can tell.

Another coworker has the same problem as well as the apple store employee I talked to. All three of us are on AT&T.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I see that Health has been having a guess at my sleeping time based on when I have it on charge overnight. I'm going to give MotionX 24/7 a go for sleep tracking, will it end up doubling-up on sleep data or will the app override the iOS-level estimate?

Also, anyone had trouble with MyFitnessPal not always updating calories or sometimes being very slow to do so?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Question Mark Mound posted:

So I see that Health has been having a guess at my sleeping time based on when I have it on charge overnight. I'm going to give MotionX 24/7 a go for sleep tracking, will it end up doubling-up on sleep data or will the app override the iOS-level estimate?

Also, anyone had trouble with MyFitnessPal not always updating calories or sometimes being very slow to do so?

Weird! I only have stock health app and charge only nightly and there are no data points re: sleep in my health app. Sure you don't have some hidden third party app collecting this?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I experienced the most annoying bug two mornings in a row now. I'd wake up normal to my alarm, but I've been feeling sick so the last two mornings I opened up my default timer app and put in a 30 minute timer. Fall back asleep and wake up to the timer. Next step I'm not sure what happens but I somehow end up dismissing the notification on the lock screen but the timer is still ringing. I open up the timer app and there is no current timer set. There is no way to turn off the ringing unles I reboot the phone.

same thing happened to me. it's (not) awesome

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Feenix posted:

Weird! I only have stock health app and charge only nightly and there are no data points re: sleep in my health app. Sure you don't have some hidden third party app collecting this?

Yeah, I don't see this either. As far as I can tell, the only things Health can track without any help from hardware or software are steps, flights climbed (on the 6) and overall walking distance.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Raffles posted:

Theoretically, yes. MFP or any of a handful of apps should be an easy workaround for Fitbit's lack of HealthKit support.

Problem is that Fitbit's lovely API frequently fails to work, so the third-party app never gets any data, so nothing ever makes it to Health.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

Yeah, I don't see this either. As far as I can tell, the only things Health can track without any help from hardware or software are steps, flights climbed (on the 6) and overall walking distance.

And overall walking distance is probably just steps multiplied by some number.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You probably shouldn't charge your phone overnight. It's not good for the battery. :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

You probably shouldn't charge your phone overnight. It's not good for the battery. :ohdear:

Are we starting this again? Let me play

*ahem*

You should drain your battery every now and then and full charge it to condition it.

Did I keep a straight face?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

No, it is great for the battery. If you didn't charge then the battery would die!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

It's 2014 dogg don't janitor your batteries

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I put my iPhone in a humidor during the winter, I heard low humidity will damage it. :ohdear:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I basically learned how to take care of the NiCD batteries in my toy RC car I got in the 1990s and I apply that knowledge to expensive modern phones and laptops. Freaking memory effect sucks I tell ya what!

beeman
May 7, 2008

sorry if this has been discussed already. I have another year on my 5s contract. Is there a possibility Apple will keep updating its 4 inch screen iphone platform? just curious

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It's not janitoring your phone to just plug it in when you get home and wake up or whatever instead of for eight hours straight all night. I'm very anti-phone janitoring and I don't find this annoying at all.

My understanding is that the science behind it is that batteries don't like being charged at 100% for long periods. You can get significantly more cycles if you never charge it past 80% or let it drop below 20%. That would be horribly annoying janitoring but it makes sense to split the difference and plug it in until it's charged to me at least.

Though it's not like you'll notice any of this either way in the two years that you'll probably hold onto the phone.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

beeman posted:

sorry if this has been discussed already. I have another year on my 5s contract. Is there a possibility Apple will keep updating its 4 inch screen iphone platform? just curious

Highly unlikely. I think they're gonna keep the 5s around as the cheap phone next year, but I really don't think they'll be making small phones anymore. Everyone wants the bigger screens, I mean, they've never sold this many iPhones this fast before. I can't imagine why they'd spend the money to make smaller phones if only a small number of people will be buying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tuyop posted:

My understanding is that the science behind it is that batteries don't like being charged at 100% for long periods. You can get significantly more cycles if you never charge it past 80% or let it drop below 20%. That would be horribly annoying janitoring but it makes sense to split the difference and plug it in until it's charged to me at least.

Hmmm and I wonder if manufacturers include some kind of computer machine chip that ensures batteries are not held at 100% while on the charger