Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Joementum posted:

Yesterday, in Oregon.

Perhaps the greatest argument for tall avatars I have ever seen.

EDIT: My goon buddy Captain Swing proper avatarized this for anyone who wants it.

Too Shy Guy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm just browsing D&D but that is an amazing thread title great work guys!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Well, according to that illustration he shoots like an absolute pussy. Some consolation, I guess.

See how Hamilton is shooting into the air? Back then gentlemen would have these duels and then they would both shoot into the air as to both satisfy the duel yet not harm eachother. So Hamilton, being a gentleman, shoots into the air, and Burr, being a dickhole, straight shoots him.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Well, this book-chat derail was better than people biting Amergin bait.

I want Diamond Joe to be real.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Besides Burr's attempt to split the United States in half to build a personal kingdom, the best Aaron Burr moment is the time he convinced the Federalist controlled Congress to fund a water company whose secret purpose was to fund the AntI-Federalists. Said company later became one of the biggest banks in the US until it merged with Chase National.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

It has the text of the 5th on it apparently. The artist wasn't dumb or lazy, he made a nice little decoration proclaiming the right against self incrimination. It was the buyer who screwed up his amendments, and is now arguing that he told the artist he wanted 2nd and the artist put down the 5th to try and make him look dumb/like a crook.

I was confused because some gun nuts think the 2nd is the only reason the government follows the 5th, mostly in regard to the takings clause.

I love that the artist kept the work order because anyone in that field knows to cover their rear end in case someone claims "that isn't what I asked for! I'm not paying!" A friend works at a graphic design and printing firm and they have had to point to the customer's signature on the proof sets quite a few times.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

zoux posted:

See how Hamilton is shooting into the air? Back then gentlemen would have these duels and then they would both shoot into the air as to both satisfy the duel yet not harm eachother. So Hamilton, being a gentleman, shoots into the air, and Burr, being a dickhole, straight shoots him.

Actually the convention was to shoot at the ground, and not into the air. Hamilton, being a sneaky son of a bitch, writes in his diary the night before that he's planning to shoot into the air, shoots at Burr, and misses. So Burr shoots him. Obviously if Hamilton won the duel, he could have quietly burned the diary and told his second not to tell anyone about his supposed plan to waste his shot, since he didn't tell Burr or any neutral witnesses that he wasn't planning to kill Burr until after Burr shot him.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

Wait I must be missing something here. Does the plinth literally say "5th Amendment" on it instead of the text of the Amendment?

Does it really matter since neither one talks about guns? :allears:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Actually the convention was to shoot at the ground, and not into the air. Hamilton, being a sneaky son of a bitch, writes in his diary the night before that he's planning to shoot into the air, shoots at Burr, and misses. So Burr shoots him. Obviously if Hamilton won the duel, he could have quietly burned the diary and told his second not to tell anyone about his supposed plan to waste his shot, since he didn't tell Burr or any neutral witnesses that he wasn't planning to kill Burr until after Burr shot him.

Take your Burr apologia to hell sir!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I heard that Hamilton secretly had his pistol modified to have an extremely light trigger pull and then screwed up and squeezed the trigger too much while aiming it due to stress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I heard that Hamilton secretly had his pistol modified to have an extremely light trigger pull and then screwed up and squeezed the trigger too much while aiming it due to stress.

This sounds like more burrlderdash!

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

All possibly true, but none of it changes the fact that Burr stands and shoots like an incredible dickhole twat.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Alexzandvar posted:

Have we ever had a vice president this great?
LBJ was alright. But I can't even begin to fathom what Biden would sound like on the White House tapes.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ReidRansom posted:

All possibly true, but none of it changes the fact that Burr stands and shoots like an incredible dickhole twat.

I don't think it was possible for the aristocracy to not stand like an incredible dickhole twat.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can we get a photoshop of Burr holding his pistol sideways like a 1990s movie gangsta?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

QuoProQuid posted:

Besides Burr's attempt to split the United States in half to build a personal kingdom, the best Aaron Burr moment is the time he convinced the Federalist controlled Congress to fund a water company whose secret purpose was to fund the AntI-Federalists. Said company later became one of the biggest banks in the US until it merged with Chase National.

And people wonder why America is so hosed up these days.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zwabu posted:

Can we get a photoshop of Burr holding his pistol sideways like a 1990s movie gangsta?

In sculpture, he's got more of a Clint Eastwood vibe goin'.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Keep in mind that these people are directly profiting by using taxpayer money meant for public schools to instead go to their crappy charters that make them hoards of profits. The biggest problem is that it doesn't matter to these people whether or not the education they provide is worthwhile or not. All that matters is that their stockholders are happy and they turn a profit. Everything else is someone else's problem.

I do think base greed is part of the problem, but I also think that there is a genuine sentiment that the problem with schools and those dirty poors is that they don't work hard enough. They don't apply themselves in such a way that they can remove themselves from that situation and be rich. And that the problem with the schools is that teachers aren't good enough, or that schools are too big, or that teaching students differently from how you learned it is wrong. Because the real reason, that social and cultural norms are to blame all our academic problems, like segregation and the notion that teachers are sucking at the government teat, is something that they don't want to look at. Because that means that they were just lucky rather than their wealth or status was earned. They don't want to stare at that particular abyss lest they see themselves for what they really are.

I think some malice plays into this but I believe that it is more naivete.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Obama doesn’t want America to believe that we’re exceptional. He wants us to be just like everybody else, and if Africa is suffering from Ebola, we ought to join the group and be suffering from it, too. That’s his attitude.” ~ Phyllis Schlafly

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'll admit I'd like to see Phyllis Schlafly suffering from ebola.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'll admit I'd like to see Phyllis Schlafly suffering from ebola.

Not emptyquoting

Seriously would love to see these idiots actually understand how good white americans have it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Obama doesn’t want America to believe that we’re exceptional. He wants us to be just like everybody else, and if Africa is suffering from Ebola, we ought to join the group and be suffering from it, too. That’s his attitude.” ~ Phyllis Schlafly
Bet you he's handed Amurica's golden key to the Chinese, too! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

Yeah, and I'm a terrible person too for thinking we are just like everybody else.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Director of the CDC: Mr. President, an American has contracted ebola.

*Obama leans back in his chair, arches his fingers, drumming their tips together*

Obama: Eeeeeexxxxxcellent.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Had to take my wife to the ER last night for breathing difficulties. As part of the "Have you done x thing" questions they asked were a bunch of new ones to screen for ebola apparently. I found it kind of bizarre based on what, a single case down south?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Someone needs to find her and Cheney's phylacteries STAT.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alter Ego posted:

Someone needs to find her and Cheney's phylacteries STAT.

I'm more interested in those of a couple SCOTUS justices, personally.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
See, if there's an ebola outbreak in the US it'll be because Obama didn't believe in America enough. :911:

e: I tried to make that sound ridiculous but I reread the quote and it's barely even different. :stare:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

Twenty bucks for an ice cream cone?

quote:

Biden picked up the tab for both, handing over two $10 bills for an $8 tab and calling himself “the last of the big time spenders.”

We also learn from this story that the scoops Biden ordered were Chocolate Woodblock and Double-Fold Vanilla.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Schlafly is the perfect example of the fact that misogyny doesn't have any gender boundaries.

She straight up thinks that getting married is non-revokable consent to all sex at any time and that married women can't be raped:

quote:

Could you clarify some of the statements that you made in Maine last year about martial rape?

I think that when you get married you have consented to sex. That's what marriage is all about, I don't know if maybe these girls missed sex ed. That doesn't mean the husband can beat you up, we have plenty of laws against assault and battery. If there is any violence or mistreatment that can be dealt with by criminal prosecution, by divorce or in various ways. When it gets down to calling it rape though, it isn't rape, it's a he said-she said where it's just too easy to lie about it.

Was the way in which your statement was portrayed correct?

Yes. Feminists, if they get tired of a husband or if they want to fight over child custody, they can make an accusation of marital rape and they want that to be there, available to them.

So you see this as more of a tool used by people to get out of marriages than as legitimate-

Yes, I certainly do.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:stare:

I really... yeah, I got nothin to respond to that beyond :stare:

That's absolutely horrifying.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Joementum posted:

In sculpture, he's got more of a Clint Eastwood vibe goin'.

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'. Well do you, punk?"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Zwabu posted:

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'. Well do you, punk?"

The line doesn't work quite as well for a single-shot pistol.

"I know what you're thinking. 'Did he fire one shot or only zero?' Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

:stare:

I really... yeah, I got nothin to respond to that beyond :stare:

That's absolutely horrifying.
You see now my statement wasn't one of privilege, but justice.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Alter Ego posted:

What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

Solely on what I read on her, she's the type who says that women should act in a way that she would never do and treated in a way she will never allow to be done to herself.

Or, y'know, an rear end in a top hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

Being raised before 1960.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

zoux posted:

Being raised before 1960.

Subservience is one thing, but she's basically talking BDSM without the whips and chains.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

Subservience is one thing, but she's basically talking BDSM without the whips and chains.

:airquote: "traditional marriage" :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Women being subservient, silent and subordinate to the husband as the head of the family is strongly encouraged by some Christian teachings.

Also, cynically, there is a lot of opportunity for women or minorities who are willing to come forward and push the conservative line as the GOP amplifies those voices so it doesn't look like it's coming solely from old white men (it is).

• Locked thread