Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd be down with some way to do practice versions of fights where you can start at phases you've managed to reach in the actual fight.

Isn't that the whole point of Guildhests? To introduce players to mechanics before they do the real thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Isn't that the whole point of Guildhests? To introduce players to mechanics before they do the real thing?

That's the idea but they're so easy you don't learn a thing most of the time.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
No guildhest will teach you how to quickly scan for dragons and mark for divebombs during Turn 9 :smith:

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Scan the north and south poles around the arena. If there's a dragon at the north, the first pattern is happening, if there's one south the second pattern is happening, if both areas are clear the third pattern is happening.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Of course not, you learn divebombs in T5, which I still haven't cleared since my FC static essentially collapsed.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You don't learn those divebombs there.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

bonewitch posted:

No guildhest will teach you how to quickly scan for dragons and mark for divebombs during Turn 9 :smith:

guildhest EX

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Rexicon1 posted:

guildhest EX

Savage guildhests

Man, is it me or the more char 50s you have, the easier to lvl. Went from 15 CNJ to 25 in 2 hrs dungeoning.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Don't learn patterns it's not really how the mechanic works (and doesn't help on savage with random positions if that's your thing). The dragons always dive in clockwise order, look at 12 o'clock and count 2 dragons, place a marker between them and you have your first position. Mark the second position if your raid is brain dead and needs it.

On reddit I think they just have it in place because of how reddit is with witch hunts (see: Boston marathon bombing). That titan selling thing just always looked like a dumb conspiracy to me, it was the hardest fight that everyone had to do for relic and to unlock coil, and players are just bad and like to blame everyone but themselves including sellers. Whenever I advertise for carries for every client I get there's at least as many stupid abusive PMs from people who think we're jerks for not doing it for free.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fishious posted:

Don't learn patterns it's not really how the mechanic works (and doesn't help on savage with random positions if that's your thing). The dragons always dive in clockwise order, look at 12 o'clock and count 2 dragons, place a marker between them and you have your first position. Mark the second position if your raid is brain dead and needs it.

On reddit I think they just have it in place because of how reddit is with witch hunts (see: Boston marathon bombing). That titan selling thing just always looked like a dumb conspiracy to me, it was the hardest fight that everyone had to do for relic and to unlock coil, and players are just bad and like to blame everyone but themselves including sellers. Whenever I advertise for carries for every client I get there's at least as many stupid abusive PMs from people who think we're jerks for not doing it for free.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Doublestep posted:

Scan the north and south poles around the arena. If there's a dragon at the north, the first pattern is happening, if there's one south the second pattern is happening, if both areas are clear the third pattern is happening.

Oh I know the patterns, it's trying to manage them while also dealing with how hectic the final phase is. We hardly have any practice with it either.

Kwyndig posted:

Of course not, you learn divebombs in T5, which I still haven't cleared since my FC static essentially collapsed.

Totally different divebombs.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

theultimo posted:

Savage guildhests

Man, is it me or the more char 50s you have, the easier to lvl. Went from 15 CNJ to 25 in 2 hrs dungeoning.

Not only do you get an experience boost for all other 50s once you have one 50, but you now know the fast ways to level thanks to experience. You aren't wandering around like a lost little sheep. So yes, it's a hell of a lot faster.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

Not only do you get an experience boost for all other 50s once you have one 50, but you now know the fast ways to level thanks to experience. You aren't wandering around like a lost little sheep. So yes, it's a hell of a lot faster.

Sort of. The fastest way to level was daily randoms / challenge log / hunts / main quest. Without the main quest to complete on alts it comes down to random side quests you left, or mostly dungeons because hunts have odd level splits and cap early.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

bonewitch posted:

Oh I know the patterns, it's trying to manage them while also dealing with how hectic the final phase is. We hardly have any practice with it either.

Totally different divebombs.

It may help to do the 2-4-6 A-B-C static marking if you're having issues with it. You can usually throw the marks up before the first Fire Out even happens, and it gives you the entire attack cycle to figure out which mark is the right one for divebombs.

Granted, you might run into trouble by not having a mark for the second divebomb but positioning for that one shouldn't really be that hard without a mark. If you reach the point where it would be consistently screwing you up, your group would be comfortable enough with phase 4 in general to change up the divebomb marking to get past it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
If the current pattern continues, T14 will have one divebomb every 7 seconds for the entire 15-minute fight.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I was doing hunts earlier, and I think Forneus? has an attack that gives out the Divebomb warning sound and I nearly had a loving heart attack.

Anyway, I'm at 25/75 on Novus. I dug out all of my spiritbondable armor from my retainer and spent some time bonding it, and I wound up with like....20-30ish pieces of materia. I only need SOME of it. What's actually worth selling on the marketboard, and what can I just shoot into that giant furnace near Black Brush? Should I count on this as a way to get materia I need for Novus? Or should I use it more as a way to get money to just buy the drat materia? Because last I checked Savage Aim II's went for 40k EACH on the marketboard.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 9, 2014

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

pksage posted:

If the current pattern continues, T14 will have one divebomb every 7 seconds for the entire 15-minute fight.

With twisters being cast, and an invulnerable orb wandering around casting voice everywhere. For phase 1.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rei_ posted:

I was doing hunts earlier, and I think Forneus? has an attack that gives out the Divebomb warning sound and I nearly had a loving heart attack.

Hah, yeah, he does. It's pretty funny.

As for your materia, best thing to do is price-check it on the MB. Just about Lv IV anything is going to be worth a little bit, even elemental stuff though I'm not sure entirely why. Savage Aim and Savage Might II and IV are worth a mint, but you'll probably want them for your own use.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Spaceman Future! posted:

With twisters being cast, and an invulnerable orb wandering around casting voice everywhere. For phase 1.

I hope to god FCOB is just Extreme Primals with SCOB mechanics peppered in. Titan EX with Renauds and Voices, anyone?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Rei_ posted:

I hope to god FCOB is just Extreme Primals with SCOB mechanics peppered in. Titan EX with Renauds and Voices, anyone?

Cmon, don't give them a chance to complain about actual randomness.

Titan Meteors :getin:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rei_ posted:

You are a very bad person, Tanaka.

e: I'm willing to accept a compromise: CT3's first boss fight is King Behemoth and Scylla at the same time. Scylla's staff adds can break comets with their beams.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 9, 2014

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

You are a very bad person, Tanaka.

e: I'm willing to accept a compromise: CT3's first boss fight is King Behemoth and Scylla at the same time. Scylla's staff adds can break comets with their beams.

maybe Im broken but that sounds fun as hell. The more screw it all everything is happening at once craziness they can jam in to CT3 the better, those runs are at their most entertaining when its 24 people running around like headless chickens while stuff explodes everywhere.

satsu
Mar 29, 2004

It's a compulsion! I have my reasons.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Just about Lv IV anything is going to be worth a little bit, even elemental stuff though I'm not sure entirely why.

Crap level IV materia goes for 17-20k on Ultros. That's stuff like elemental resist materia and Skill Speed, and you'll often see the same people buying up sets of five to throw at Mutamix. If you can afford it, it's a pretty fun way to gamble with your RNG. I usually do it if I have enough gil that blowing 100-200k is no big deal, or if I got crap IVs from spiritbonding. Best haul so far was a Savage Aim IV and a Savage Might IV in exchange for a bunch of elemental IVs. This was about a million gil back for a 17k investment per filler materia, because prices were crazy at the time (an FC was using materia to launder gil while they moved to another server). The Savage Might IV went into my respecced Nexus though.

I believe you can also sprinkle a couple of crap IVs into a set of IIIs when transmuting to get a good chance of getting an IV back. I usually just do sets of IV only though.

Edit:
GIL SEKRITZ OF THE PHARAOHS: for some reason people who like to gamble on elemental materia consistently overlook skill speed materia, which is so massively undesirable that it'll often be cheaper than even elemental materia. Don't forget to check prices there too!

If you want to go full RNG, I suppose you could mess around with other oddball materia like CP+2, which sells for a pittance because people slavishly follow guides when melding and will meld a 7000-gil CP+1 materia instead of a 192-gil CP+2 materia.

satsu fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nuru posted:

People seem pretty scared of massive second coil nerfs in 2.4. Have there been announcements about it from YoshiP/etc?

There's no way second coil won't be nerfed sometime soon. We're nearing the end of vanilla's lifecycle, and it's almost time for a new top end raid even if we weren't. They'd probably leave hard mode alone for the people who like that sort of thing.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Meiteron posted:

It may help to do the 2-4-6 A-B-C static marking if you're having issues with it. You can usually throw the marks up before the first Fire Out even happens, and it gives you the entire attack cycle to figure out which mark is the right one for divebombs.

Granted, you might run into trouble by not having a mark for the second divebomb but positioning for that one shouldn't really be that hard without a mark. If you reach the point where it would be consistently screwing you up, your group would be comfortable enough with phase 4 in general to change up the divebomb marking to get past it.

Yeah, this is what we've switched to, we just haven't consistently made it to divebombs yet. I've started throwing out the marks during megaflare since we kinda just eyeball heavensfall.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Huzzah! Now you can buy specific amounts of Fantasia for one individual character! Time to spend a week as a different race/gender until I figure out what I like.

Also, there was a thing about rogue and ninja quests, but it's just quest names, two or three new screenshots, and a bunch of question marks, as is their wont.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 9, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also that hotfix last night added those special-but-unavailable dyes (e.g. jet black or blinged-out gold) to quick ventures for sufficiently geared retainers.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

They are also untradable, so have fun with being shiny/black/white with no monetary gains

Reports have come in already about there being a message when your retainer exceeds ilevel 80, giving you a chance for these rare items.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

ilifinicus posted:

when your retainer exceeds ilevel 80

I've heard the equivalent for DoL retainers is 383 Gathering, is that true?

Quest: "Rogue level 10"
Prerequisite: Rogue level 15

:aaaaa:

Also, wow, not even confirming what the subclass is for Ninja. Dang.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

I'm slightly unimpressed by the Ninja armor in that preview. I just wanna be Ryu Hayabusa okay :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ilifinicus posted:

They are also untradable, so have fun with being shiny/black/white with no monetary gains

Reports have come in already about there being a message when your retainer exceeds ilevel 80, giving you a chance for these rare items.

Well, that just makes the decision between "sell for 1 mil" and "make my Lavender Beds vacation house look glitzy as gently caress" really easy.

pksage posted:

I've heard the equivalent for DoL retainers is 383 Gathering, is that true?

I believe that's what it is for mining and botany. It should be 308 for fishing.

Speaking of retainers, does Perception matter at all other than maybe affecting how many HQs you get from sending them after specific things? In pretty sure the answer is no, and it'd make melding their gear way easier/cheaper.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 9, 2014

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sigh. I really should go and rejigger my retainers properly, but can't be arsed. Hell, I probably should not have resubbed for this month!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of retainers, does Perception matter at all other than maybe affecting how many HQs you get from sending them after specific things? In pretty sure the answer is no, and it'd make melding their gear way easier/cheaper.

Just gathering. Retainers only scale from one stat, either item level or gathering.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sometimes, I wish there was a delete post button.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sometimes, I wish there was a delete post button.

You have to live with the shame.

I live with it every day when I am reminded of my lovely posting, and I'm still new here.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
poo poo posting is still posting, and everyone knows posting is all that matters. :justpost:

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
I played all day yesterday and got to level 28 on my ACN, but I have to go to work today so I'm pissed. I want to hit 30.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Huzzah! Now you can buy specific amounts of Fantasia for one individual character! Time to spend a week as a different race/gender until I figure out what I like.

Also, there was a thing about rogue and ninja quests, but it's just quest names, two or three new screenshots, and a bunch of question marks, as is their wont.

The ninja outfit looks like half plate and chain mail.:wtc:

Maybe the reason they haven't said what the subclass is for Ninja yet is because it's another new class. Give everyone lots of info about Ninjas and then at fanfest its SURPRISE FUCKERS, HERE'S ANOTHER CLASS AND JOB. :snoop:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

The ninja outfit looks like half plate and chain mail.:wtc:

Maybe the reason they haven't said what the subclass is for Ninja yet is because it's another new class. Give everyone lots of info about Ninjas and then at fanfest its SURPRISE FUCKERS, HERE'S ANOTHER CLASS AND JOB. :snoop:

Guess GLD/PAL/MAR/WAR/LNC/DRG armor is going to add ROG/NIN.

Or, and here's a better idea, maybe they should just remove it from GLD/PAL/MAR/WAR and make it just LNC/DRG/NIN so there aren't stupid tanks in Normflox trying to tank while wearing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Guess GLD/PAL/MAR/WAR/LNC/DRG armor is going to add ROG/NIN.

Or, and here's a better idea, maybe they should just remove it from GLD/PAL/MAR/WAR and make it just LNC/DRG/NIN so there aren't stupid tanks in Normflox trying to tank while wearing it!

Some lowbies just want to look good while leveling, okay? Glamours being restricted to players who've reached 50 is literally worse than fascism :v:

• Locked thread