Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
NBA 2k15 is almost as big as FF13, frankly I'm not fazed anymore and at least they included the option so I don't have to install another 40 gigs if I wanted to check out the japanese version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

Granted I know virtually nothing about this virtual anime girl, but Nomura's version seems to look pretty much like she's normally depicted (that is to say, completely bog-standard Anime schoolgirl), but in 3D. This in no way compares to his "batman" monstrosity.
For as much as I usually dislike Nomura's work, I actually liked his Batman :shrug:

I think it's mostly the "anime-realistic" uncanny valley thing that's going on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yo Nomura's Batman is the loving bomb.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Nomura managed to make something as unthreatening and pandering as Miku look scary and unnerving. I'm impressed.

It's pretty fitting too. A virtual girl/ android(?) created only to entertain humans is in Ghost in the Shell territory so it should be uncanny valley of the highest order.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 9, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Yo Nomura's Batman is the loving bomb.

Unironically this. I just wish it didn't have Nero The Sable's retarded mechanical hand things.

And 3D Miku feels like she's peering into my soul. Though I expect that's the point. Japan loves giant eyes, apparently there are photobooths that increase the size of your eyes while processing your picture. There was a goon that posted his picture from one of those and it was creepy as hell.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's no wonder that Nomura is so good at monster design when he makes Miku look horrifying.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Celery Face posted:

I started with X and feel exactly the same way as this guy. Especially when I bought the DS remake of FF III.
That would have been disappointing no matter where you started.

Anyway, if you're playing 5: play the GBA version, not the SNES version. SNES is too slow.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

That would have been disappointing no matter where you started.

Anyway, if you're playing 5: play the GBA version, not the SNES version. SNES is too slow.

The SNES version isn't slow, but it was never officially translated into English, so you'd have to apply a fan patch. The PSX remake of the SNES version (the one on PSN) is slow, though, among other problems (hilariously bad translation, buggy menu/saving). The GBA version looks better, has a good translation that adds a lot of character, fixes bugs, and has some extra content and jobs if you're into that sort of thing, so it is the definitive edition.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Speaking of game recommendations, anyone who liked Tactics should really check out Banner Saga. It was developed off a Kickstarter from ex-Bioware developers and is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. It's a turn based fantasy tactical RPG and while the paid campaign is only about 10 hours long, the desktop versions have a free to play multiplayer client that is just combat. Overall it's pretty loving fun.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

The SNES version isn't slow, but it was never officially translated into English, so you'd have to apply a fan patch. The PSX remake of the SNES version (the one on PSN) is slow, though, among other problems (hilariously bad translation, buggy menu/saving). The GBA version looks better, has a good translation that adds a lot of character, fixes bugs, and has some extra content and jobs if you're into that sort of thing, so it is the definitive edition.
GBA version also lets you run faster, which is what I meant by SNES is too slow.

I've heard that the GBA version has worse music, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Beef Waifu posted:

It's no wonder that Nomura is so good at monster design when he makes Miku look horrifying.

I kinda want to see Kazuma Kaneko's attempt at Miku now.

Akira Toriyama, too, but it'd just be a shorter Bulma with twin-tails.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Gologle posted:

So what you're telling us is that you are literally a thief. Guess I know why you don't work at the movie theater anymore.

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't steal it. It was given to me by our projectionist. He kept almost all of the trailers for his personal collection but didn't want that one. He would sometimes screen his mega reel of all his favorite trailers for his friends. And I don't work there anymore because it was a college job when I was 18. I'm now 32 and have a real job.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

AllisonByProxy posted:

Just wanted to clarify that I didn't steal it. It was given to me by our projectionist. He kept almost all of the trailers for his personal collection but didn't want that one. He would sometimes screen his mega reel of all his favorite trailers for his friends. And I don't work there anymore because it was a college job when I was 18. I'm now 32 and have a real job.

thank you, now I can finally sleep

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1st AD posted:

Speaking of game recommendations, anyone who liked Tactics should really check out Banner Saga. It was developed off a Kickstarter from ex-Bioware developers and is available on Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. It's a turn based fantasy tactical RPG and while the paid campaign is only about 10 hours long, the desktop versions have a free to play multiplayer client that is just combat. Overall it's pretty loving fun.
I didn't like Banner Saga because of the 'hp as damage' mechanic. It's one of those neat ideas in theory that just doesn't pan out in practice at all, and I'm amazed it made it into a shipped game. Due to that and the way the turn order works, you're much better leaving enemies at 1-2 HP and then moving onto the next, leaving that enemy to flail ineffectually at you for several turns while you whittle every other enemy down. Even if it takes the same amount of turns as killing them all outright, it feels much less satisfying, and so becomes more of a slog.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Not completely related to FF, but Terra Battle is now out on the app store in NA.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/10/08/new-iphone-games-october-9/

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

I'd probably go with 4, 6, 7, 10, or maybe 5.

FF4 is the most straightforward of the bunch, with a decent simple story with a couple standard plot twists and simple enough gameplay to get you accustomed to the rest of the series, though it lacks any of the customization options later games are known for. It's a solid game on its own, though it isn't really the best in any one aspect. Go with this if you want a standard fantasy story with simple gameplay that serves more as a preview for the series. Definitive ports are the PSP (or GBA if you can't get that) if you're looking for an experience closest to the original, which I recommend as a new FF player, or DS/Mobile/Steam if you're more experienced with jRPGs and want more of a challenge, since it's quite a deal tougher, though this remake adds 3D graphics and voice acting.

FF6 has a more interesting setting, steampunk intermixed with the standard fantasy stuff, and goes in unique directions with its story. The game has some level of customization with its magic system, though everyone also has an unique ability and equipment options to keep them distinct. Go with this if you want a large cast of decently-developed characters, a steampunk fantasy setting with decently mature themes, and a moderate level of character customization. Definitive ports are GBA and SNES, though Mobile will do if you don't mind the uglier graphics.

FF7 is the most famous one, and it still holds up well. It has a higher level of customization than the above two games, letting you choose characters' skills and magic with certain items, with characters' distinctions being limited mostly to their weapons and Limit Breaks (strong attacks that are built up to while taking damage). The setting is a weird mix of magic and modernish-day stuff, and the story is incredibly bizarre and insane once you delve into it, while being surprisingly goofy a lot of times. Go with this if you want a batshit insane mindfuck story with hosed-up characters and a weird sense of humor, or if you think big swords are really, really cool. I don't think there's any major differences between the PS1/PSN version and the PC version, so go with whatever's more convenient.

FF10 is also rather straightforward, being one of the most linear games in the series. It has one of the stronger stories of the series, focusing on the journey of a group of people as they walk to a specific destination. The gameplay both guides you to set up characters to specific builds while giving you the option to branch them out and give them more flexibility. Go with this if you want a strong narrative and gameplay that's more methodical and focuses on customizing set builds. The PS3 remake is the definitive version, though the PS2 version should still be fine (with the International Version being the preferred option if available).

Finally, FF5 has a bog-simple story with decently interesting characters, but I recommend it because it has probably the best gameplay in the series thanks to its job system. It allows you to mix and match abilities, like giving magic to a combat class, and doesn't punish you for whatever weird set-ups you come up with. I only hesitate to recommend it because some people find the choices overwhelming with ~20 jobs to choose from. Go with this if you want tons of customization and are mainly looking for fun gameplay in a jRPG. GBA or Mobile's the best version here, with Mobile having a couple quality-of-life enhancements but uglier character sprites.

Missed a lot of details, I'm sure, but that works for a quick write-up of probably the best games to start with.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Man up and start from the first one!

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, that is unnerving as poo poo.

CottonWolf posted:

That is monstrous.

Cake Attack posted:

what have they done to my miku!?

Pesky Splinter posted:

Slap bang in the middle of the Uncanny Valley, alright. :stonk:

It might just be a Visualworks render because this is the actual drawing by Nomura:

http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/063/208/54361d287ba69.html

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

I don't think there's any major differences between the PS1/PSN version and the PC version, so go with whatever's more convenient.
Didn't the PC version have the weird mouths?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Do Gilgamesh's clan all look like him? What does it even mean to be a clan in the Final Fantasy universe?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Himuro posted:

Why is FFXIII 60 gigs on steam?

:rip: My hard drive

Endorph posted:

I didn't like Banner Saga because of the 'hp as damage' mechanic. It's one of those neat ideas in theory that just doesn't pan out in practice at all, and I'm amazed it made it into a shipped game. Due to that and the way the turn order works, you're much better leaving enemies at 1-2 HP and then moving onto the next, leaving that enemy to flail ineffectually at you for several turns while you whittle every other enemy down. Even if it takes the same amount of turns as killing them all outright, it feels much less satisfying, and so becomes more of a slog.

I don't even mind the hp as damage as much as the loving turn order. The turn order rules of Banner Saga mean that playing optimally is really loving counter-intuitive for strategy in like every other game/situation ever. Kills it for me.

Jerry Steinfeld posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy before, which one is the best? Where should I start?

Start with X because its so approachable and easy to get into, and has a good story.

Then play XII, IX, VIII, VII, and VI in that order, so they keep getting better and better. Then play I and IV to see what you missed out on in the old days. Then replay those a million times because they're the only good ones. (Alternatively if you like strategy just play Tactics forever because its actually the best)

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 9, 2014

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

GBA version also lets you run faster, which is what I meant by SNES is too slow.

I've heard that the GBA version has worse music, though.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/563/

This might help. The guy also made patches for IV and VI as well.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Just a warning for those who preloaded FFXIII on Steam: You need about 27GB free to finish the install.

Edit: It's like Force Unleashed, where the movie files take up 26 GB and are all in one file. :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 9, 2014

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Varance posted:

Yea, preloading FFXIII on Steam was a bad idea. It takes almost 50 GB for the preload and another 50 GB to unpack it all. :v:

It's like Force Unleashed, where the movie files take up 30 Gigs.

100 gig to decrypt and 49.4 gig to download! What the actual gently caress!!?

I'm glad I can delete the decrypt files after it's done.

Sir Liquid Jerk
Aug 10, 2002
I have Ham Armor +5!
So FF13 locked at 720p on the pc?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Ronnie posted:

I'm a bit further in the install now and know what happened. The movies are all in one goddamned file, so Steam can't delete it until all 25.9GB of movie files are installed. Once you pass that point, you get the space back and probably only need about 27 GB free on top of the preload. 30GB+, just to make sure it doesn't cancel and you have to go through the 30 minute process again (the second time takes forever due to all the redundancy checking Steam does).

Edited the previous post.

Varance fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 9, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Varance posted:

Just a warning for those who preloaded FFXIII on Steam: You need about 27GB free to finish the install.

Edit: It's like Force Unleashed, where the movie files take up 26 GB and are all in one file. :v:

And there's twice as many movie files because they included the Japanese version for weebs to yank it to.

At least LR is gonna be much much better a compression given it's download size on consoles. (A little less than 10 gigs iirc).

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Liquid Jerk posted:

So FF13 locked at 720p on the pc?

Yup, as was to be expected for a port that cost $10 at release. Well, unless you were for some dumb reason expecting it to have in-game resolution options and support a wide array of display and other graphical options like SOME people *leers at NeoGAF*

Don't worry though; Durante's gonna take care of it like Fix-it Felix.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And there's twice as many movie files because they included the Japanese version for weebs to yank it to.

At least LR is gonna be much much better a compression given it's download size on consoles. (A little less than 10 gigs iirc).

Couldn't they do dual-audio? Is there any difference in the video? Its not like they re-rendered with different lip synch, right? I guess maybe there's some text or subtitles, but they could do those in software too... :shrug:

Ronnie posted:

gently caress I need a new drive! :stare: Most of my existing drives have about 100GB left and I don't want to fill that up or its gonna be fragment city.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Good work on that 720p 50GB game SE. :allears:

Time to play more of my favorite worst FF game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not like they re-rendered with different lip synch, right?

From what I've heard that's exactly what they did.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Any footage of the pc version yet?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Just unpacked, it is a really bad port. Can't change res like already said. Can't remap the keys at all, this really fucks up my gamepad as non of the buttons match what they should be, hitting escape just insta kills the game. Ughhhh

Seems to run though!

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 9, 2014

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Sunning posted:

It might just be a Visualworks render because this is the actual drawing by Nomura:

Ah, okay. Yeah, that's less glass-eyed cephalopod demon, and more okay Nomura-fair.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mechathief posted:

Yup, as was to be expected for a port that cost $10 at release. Well, unless you were for some dumb reason expecting it to have in-game resolution options and support a wide array of display and other graphical options like SOME people *leers at NeoGAF*

Don't worry though; Durante's gonna take care of it like Fix-it Felix.

MGR was released at budget price and still managed to have a reasonable number of graphics and resolution options, you really don't have to apologise for one of the world's biggest developers and publishers releasing a half-arsed port of one of their flagship titles

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

lamentable dustman posted:

Just unpacked, it is a really bad port. Can't change res like already said. Can't remap the keys at all, this really fucks up my gamepad as non of the buttons match what they should be, hitting escape just insta kills the game. Ughhhh

Seems to run thought!

Sounds a lot like the Dark Souls PC release way back when (that is to say, most Japanese developers really don't know what they're doing when it comes to PC games). Of course, I think a fan had a patch up within hours that allowed stuff like key remapping and resolution changing, so maybe that'll happen here too...

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ah, okay. Yeah, that's less glass-eyed cephalopod demon, and more okay Nomura-fair.

Still, to me it says less "my anime waifu" and more "some girl in cosplay". They should've let Nomura batman it up and let him give her like a hoodie with zippers that go up the arms or like a digital suit of armor with barcode angel wings or some other goofy poo poo.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Himuro posted:

Any footage of the pc version yet?

http://a.pomf.se/krwzzw.webm

working on two others

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ, S-E. Even when we win, we still lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

A Steampunk Gent posted:

MGR was released at budget price and still managed to have a reasonable number of graphics and resolution options, you really don't have to apologise for one of the world's biggest developers and publishers releasing a half-arsed port of one of their flagship titles

Who am I apologizing for? I just didn't get my expectations up. Every FF console port S-E's released on steam so far has had a barebones launcher and VERY little in the way of added features. The battles in FFIV alone still run at like 15 or 20fps or whatever. People should have seen this coming. Also $10 is not $30 which is what MGR went for at release on PC, and was developed by a completely differrent company so I'm not sure how that matters