Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Haha, no problem. I can't keep track of all the different models/trim levels either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

ellic posted:

Wasn't the sticker just making an underlying problem more prevalent? Was there any more investigation about that or was the sticker entirely to blame and now without a sticker we are worry free to pick up the MSI 970?

Official position from MSI is the sticker was 100% to blame. It does beg the question of whether there is some component on that fan fragile enough to be damaged by sticker removal. If that were the case it doesn't bode well for holding up under longer term use. OTOH pulling a high-RPM fan out of alignment or off balance will cause it to wreck itself pretty quickly, which may have been the case. Time well tell I suppose. Had the MSI and Asus Strix came in stock simultaneously I would've had a very hard time deciding since I haven't seen a single negative thing posted about the Strix, but the MSI has essentially all of the same features and can draw more power.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Having gotten one, the sticker was seriously on there. I have no trouble believing that an excited nerd ripping it off, or even an unlucky person trying to be careful, could damage the fan bearing.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I believe the consensus is that EVGA majorly hosed up ACX 2.0 so as of right now it's in the "do not buy" category. I could be wrong though: I tend to skim this thread rather inattentively.

ACX 2.0 is new and might actually be designed to fit the GPU. Or it could be that they just slapped some fans with more blades on the ACX 1.0. I don't know, haven't looked more than that

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Skwee posted:

ACX 2.0 is new and might actually be designed to fit the GPU. Or it could be that they just slapped some fans with more blades on the ACX 1.0. I don't know, haven't looked more than that

ACX 2.0 has the same problem. The 980s are shipping with both 1.0 and 2.0 coolers, and the 2.0 is only marginally better. It has the same "one heatpipe doesn't touch the die at all" problem.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Are they terrible and unusable, or is it more less than perfect/do not overclock? :ohdear:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Vectorwulf posted:

Are they terrible and unusable, or is it more less than perfect/do not overclock? :ohdear:

I had a card with the ACX 1.0 for a while and the temps were fine. And cooler noise was not loud at all.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Good enough for me. :) Really doubt I'll be doing anything out of the ordinary, and my bigass case has good airflow. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Skwee posted:

I had a card with the ACX 1.0 for a while and the temps were fine. And cooler noise was not loud at all.
You had a 900 series with ACX? As far as I know it's not the ACX design that's the problem. The cooler is okay, but they reused a design from earlier cards and heat pipes don't quite line up with the GPU just right. The card won't break or anything, but it's hardly ideal.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You had a 900 series with ACX? As far as I know it's not the ACX design that's the problem. The cooler is okay, but they reused a design from earlier cards and heat pipes don't quite line up with the GPU just right. The card won't break or anything, but it's hardly ideal.

Yes, I had the EVGA GTX 970 superclocked with ACX 1.0.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Received my 4th r9 290 earlier today and finally this one works without a single hitch (also my first with the Hynix memory). One heck of a long heatsink on it, though. Now I'm wondering whether to just go ahead and keep it on sell it and snag a 970 to drive my 1440p.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

For what it's worth, I've had the EVGA 970 with the ACX 2.0 cooling and I've had no problems with it. It runs everything I throw at it like a champ, and it's very very quiet. With the EVGA precision automatic fan control turned on, it does get quite a bit louder though.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I had an gigabyte 2gb r9 270 for a few months until it died (shadow of mordor!). If I wanted to avoid ATI this time around what would be a similar or better gpu to get? The op recommends the 660ti but it doesn't look like its been updated in while, is that still the way to go?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
Are you looking for an inexpensive, entry level card? I know the 750Ti (which I currently have) seems to be the go-to choice.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

veedubfreak posted:

What kind of monitor? Is that one of those superwide monitors?

That's about 4 million pixels so it's roughly double 1080p, a 970 might get it done.

Ended up canceling my order on my 980s. Gonna tough it out and wait for the Classified edition. I just get the feeling that double 8pin is going to give it enough of an edge over reference to be worth the wait. Also, triple bios :)

Yep, LG34UM95--it's 21:9 and 1440p. There should be a couple more coming out with the same format (and likely panel).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

ellic posted:

Wasn't the sticker just making an underlying problem more prevalent? Was there any more investigation about that or was the sticker entirely to blame and now without a sticker we are worry free to pick up the MSI 970?
That was my theory, based on the reports in the MSI forums thread.

Hot Jam posted:

Official position from MSI is the sticker was 100% to blame.
I think their first response was a little too happy to accept the theory of the sticker being the sole cause. There was a new response from the MSI employee:

quote:

Our RMA department will gather the cards with fans issues and send them to R&D for investigation.
Hopefully we can find out soon what caused this issue and prevent it from happening in the future.

Today our factory has phased-in a "looser" glue on the warning sticker for better removal.
(We still don't know for sure if the stronger glue caused fan issues but we acknowledged the fact that the warning sticker was glued on too strongly).
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.msg1320308#msg1320308

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hamburger Test posted:

That was my theory, based on the reports in the MSI forums thread.

I think their first response was a little too happy to accept the theory of the sticker being the sole cause. There was a new response from the MSI employee:

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.msg1320308#msg1320308

MSI posted:

Please note that the GTX980 GAMING 4G has independent fan control (FAN1 is triggered by GPU temperature and FAN2 is triggered by VRM temperature) so fan behavior is not the same as GTX 970 GAMING 4G. This behavior can easily be mistaken for the fan issue you have reported on GTX 970 GAMING 4G.

Also I feel an important takeaway.

My mistake then on the single fan issue, I thought the 970 had the dual control as well.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
What are we using to benchmark?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Worst-case MSI finds an actual issue with the fans and replaces them quickly under warranty. Have had really good results since they swapped out the fans on my 280X after they found the issues with the early Twin Frozr 4's. The issue's probably not really related to the sticker - maybe something in BIOS for the fan controller instead - but if they get to analyze cards with issues they'll probably issue a GPU BIOS update which is an easy fix if that's what's going on.

Duck and burger posted:

What are we using to benchmark?
Metro Last Light benchmark is good, and there's always the latest 3DMark suites (11/Vantage/Firestrike) and Uniengine's Heaven benchmark.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009
just buy 290x and aftermarket cooler. it will last forever and i will certainly not regret saying that.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah MSI didn't officially acknowledge that the sticker was the cause of fan problems, but it didn't stop people from calling those with problems "loving idiot sperglords" and so forth. Good times. Heaven forbid that a manufacturer make a mistake after being widely recommended, but it happens.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

cisco privilege posted:

Metro Last Light benchmark is good, and there's always the latest 3DMark suites (11/Vantage/Firestrike) and Uniengine's Heaven benchmark.

How is 3DMark a thing that can be sold for tens of dollars to regular consumers?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Duck and burger posted:

How is 3DMark a thing that can be sold for tens of dollars to regular consumers?

What's the point of having a giant e-penis if you don't have a ruler to prove that yours is bigger than everyone elses?

I tend to just use Uniengine benchmarks though. I prefer Valley to Heaven. I would pay good money for an open world fantasy RPG type thing made with that engine, it looks fabulous in Valley. Even some kind of wilderness survival simulator.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Heaven is a way better benchmark for testing overclocks I've found, since it's so heavy with tessellation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hace posted:

Heaven is a way better benchmark for testing overclocks I've found, since it's so heavy with tessellation.

Compared to valley, or compared to 3dmark? I do use both heaven and valley, but valley is nicer to look at as the benchmark does its thing.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

katlington posted:

I had an gigabyte 2gb r9 270 for a few months until it died (shadow of mordor!). If I wanted to avoid ATI this time around what would be a similar or better gpu to get? The op recommends the 660ti but it doesn't look like its been updated in while, is that still the way to go?

I know it says GPU thread but PC parts picker thread is typically where you'd ask, but anyway - the 660ti is well and phased out now. Since you already had a 270 and presumably you want to go up (and sticking to nvidia this time as you said) at this point the best way up is going to be a 970. Which is starting to sound like a broken record at this point but its true. A 770 would be a nice step up, but the 970 is its better replacement. There was a brief honeymoon where you could get a new 770 for $220 or so making it a great deal but that seems to have passed.

So do you have a $330 budget?

Also did you rma your card? Even if you don't want it, it can offset your new purchase later

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

The Lord Bude posted:

Compared to valley, or compared to 3dmark? I do use both heaven and valley, but valley is nicer to look at as the benchmark does its thing.

Both. I can run Valley and 3DMark with pretty drat high overclocks, but Heaven has always capped my 770 off at +52 Mhz on the core.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Hace posted:

Both. I can run Valley and 3DMark with pretty drat high overclocks, but Heaven has always capped my 770 off at +52 Mhz on the core.

I'll be sure to run some tests with tessellation set to max then.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Duck and burger posted:

Regular users wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) give them any money for it. The higher-tier paid stuff has a ton of built-in analysis tools for commercial benchmarking sites and reviewers though so I guess that's where they get their pay from beyond OEM sponsorship like with MSI, Galaxy, etc.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vectorwulf posted:

This model seems to consistently be in stock, any major issues? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076

I have had consistently good experiences with EVGA in the past so I snagged this when it popped up yesterday even though I had been hoping for the SSC version. Since I don't overclock heavily I don't think the ACX concerns really matter, but after discovering the Gigabyte cards had the new back panel with 3x Displayport instead of the old 600/700 series panel used on most of the other 970s I'm now sort of hoping I have a return-worthy problem to justify changing over to that one.

Anyone know how quickly Newegg's been shipping these days? My order has been at "Packaging" since early afternoon yesterday, too late to cancel for the Gigabyte but no actual indication of when I'll get it.

cisco privilege posted:

Regular users wouldn't (or at least shouldn't) give them any money for it. The higher-tier paid stuff has a ton of built-in analysis tools for commercial benchmarking sites and reviewers though so I guess that's where they get their pay from beyond OEM sponsorship like with MSI, Galaxy, etc.

Everyone I know who bought it at a personal level did so because they wanted to run at native resolution or something like that. Sure the free version gets you the main benchmark for comparison with the world, but if you want to show off your e-penis by running a demo on loop (or I guess if you want to beat up an overclocked GPU for stability testing) you have to fork over :20bux: + 5.

I miss the old versions where the demos were unlocked for all and it was only the benchmark mode customizations that required a license.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

There's no way I'd buy them on purpose but I was pretty tickled that EVGA happened to have a giveaway going on when I bought two of my cards. Now I have 3Dmark 11 and the one just called 3Dmark (you know, like Tomb Raider, or the XBox One), on Steam even, which is kind of a trip but not really weirder than seeing Ohmicide on there...

It's handy for stability testing and neat to see a high number if you have powerful hardware but there's not a single feature exclusive to the commercial version of it that I use even kinda regularly. Just run the stock benchmarks, because the hell is the point of a comparison if you dick around with it to try to game the score or whatever? I'm sure it's all really useful for review sites but I haven't even used its Demo Loop feature for stability testing because I've found just running benchmarks repeatedly and using other stuff to try my damndest to "validate" a videocard overclock by playing games works just fine :v:

I am actually kind of curious how a review site might incorporate the paywalled features into their thing. Anyone think of a good example off the top of your head? I keep going back to the "if you mess with it, it isn't really a benchmark anymore" thing.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Okay, so. Sanity check. Or insanity.
I run with 3 1920x1080 monitors. I rarely game on all three, but for some driving games/flight games I will (not a hardcore sim fan, but I do enjoy them.) I'm rocking a Gigabyte 7950 which has some coil whine, loud fans, and it now appears one dead DP output. So monitor #3 is running off onboard graphics atm, the other two are fine on the 7950.

Should I just RMA the card, or should I Follow my gut and grab either a 970 or a 980. I'm actually considering the 980 so if I want to play some other games triple-monitor I won't kill performance. I could run SLI 970's as well, but I know there can be scaling issues. But then I could grab a 970 now, and if its not quite enough, grab a second in a month or two.

Either way I'll RMA the Gigabyte, but if I replace it, its just getting sold on the cheap'ish.

I'm also not in a rush, so I'll be waiting until 970's/980's are somewhat in stock up here in Canadianaland.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
FYI anyone that is or has bought an EVGA 970 needs to read this. http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

I can't say it enough, but EVGA is the best VGA vendor on the planet. They have already admitted that they hosed up by trying to shave a few bucks off the new heatsinks and are remedying the situation.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

veedubfreak posted:

FYI anyone that is or has bought an EVGA 970 needs to read this. http://www.evga.com/articles/00876/EVGAs-Got-Your-Back/

I can't say it enough, but EVGA is the best VGA vendor on the planet. They have already admitted that they hosed up by trying to shave a few bucks off the new heatsinks and are remedying the situation.

Doesn't fix the fact that the heat pipes don't line up correctly on the GPU.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They are also releasing a new bios which supposedly fixes the sound/temp issues some people have been complaining about. Link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15.

quote:

Though EVGA missed the initial cut-off for this review, later in the day they turned in an beta/engineering version of their upcoming vBIOS with the zero fan speed idle changes worked in, along with a new fan curve. We can confirm that the zero fan speed function is working in this BIOS, rendering the card silent at idle.

Makes me consider getting the EVGA FTW after all.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

"Didn't make sure their cooler actually contacts the GPU fully" is a pretty fair reason to pass on a brand until the issue is resolved fully. Said as a loyal EVGA customer all the way back to the 7600 GT.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

"Didn't make sure their cooler actually contacts the GPU fully" is a pretty fair reason to pass on a brand until the issue is resolved fully. Said as a loyal EVGA customer all the way back to the 7600 GT.
I agree. I'd probably buy an Asus or MSI part if I wanted a card this second, but I've liked EVGA for years now and would prefer to stick with them. So I'm just waiting it out at this point.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Is this sarcasm? They have offered backplates several times in the past and this doesn't fix anything.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Why don't more people recommend the gigabyte card with 3 display ports? It seems like a better card than the MSI.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_970_g1_gaming_review,9.html

This guy shows the gigabyte card is the only one that doesn't throttle when overclocked. Also has a direct cooled VRM heatsink.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

edit: comes equipped with a back plate.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So is the whole point of SLI VR support to be that one card renders one eye so the two viewpoints are each handled symmetrically by the gpu's?