Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh my yes, here is a download link for the game. I was terrible at it, barely got anywhere aside from the Forest.

oh lord this game. I haven't played this in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

alansmithee posted:

How did they change the missile artifacts to make them useful? I remember before the biggest problem was always that miss or hit, you had to run and actually pick them back up. I've not really played since 1.1 (?) came out.

All the missile artifacts now have returning properties which is why they were worthless before, especially compared to bows that made every shot an undead slayer.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

Unormal posted:

:neckbeard:

I made the settings screen a little less of an abomination last night. Wish I had time to do full key remapping, but looks like that'll have to be post 1.0.

Just want to chime in and say this is much better. Those buttons that changed state were hard for me to understand because I would mash the button and it would say Easy or Hard and at a certain point I was like, wait is this telling me the mode I've currently got selected or I press the button to enter that mode.

Basically I have no clue if I was playing on easy or hard.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alansmithee posted:

Also, does anyone remember an old roguelike named "Ragnarok"? I believe it only had a tile system, and took a bunch of stuff from Norse myths. Was the first I played before I knew what they really were. I'd love an updated version just because there was all sorts of cool stuff in there.
Yep. Nothing like using a scroll of switch bodies to jack the body of the most powerful normal monster type in the game and then go on a murder-rampage.

Or genociding all the undead you can except wraiths before setting foot in the undead-filled zone. Because for some reason eating them increased your toughness. Or was it level? One of the two.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Zereth posted:

Yep. Nothing like using a scroll of switch bodies to jack the body of the most powerful normal monster type in the game and then go on a murder-rampage.

Or genociding all the undead you can except wraiths before setting foot in the undead-filled zone. Because for some reason eating them increased your toughness. Or was it level? One of the two.

I think the real way to pump toughness was to remember what luck potions were unidentified, then going to the plane with pools of infinite potion in pools with a bunch of empty glass bottles and drinking until your luck was astronomical, then wishing for hel dragon corpses and munching down on them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Some of the undead enemies were really annoying, though, so why not just write yourself up a pile of genocide scrolls and erase them all?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

alansmithee posted:

Also, does anyone remember an old roguelike named "Ragnarok"? I believe it only had a tile system, and took a bunch of stuff from Norse myths. Was the first I played before I knew what they really were. I'd love an updated version just because there was all sorts of cool stuff in there.

Wasn't it Ragnarok-Valhalla?

I loved that game just for the conceit, which was that the Norse gods are fated to lose at Ragnarok, so you have to go around fixing everything that went wrong in a Norse myth. Revive Baldur, find Freyr's sword, kill Jormungand, etc.

ToxicFrog posted:

I noticed IVAN 3D on the wiki. How well does that work?

Heck if I know, brah, I have no truck with this three-dees nonsense.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
Yes! Ragnarok was the first roguelikes that I'd ever played extensively and beaten. I think I got it off of one of those shareware/freeware cd compilations which were popular many ages ago.

Recommended start: roll alchemist thousands of times, mixing all of your potions together right away. Usually you'll die in a fiery explosion, but sometimes you'll polymorph into a fire giant, a mudman, or a cloud... whatever you end up as, hopefully your new form is capable of using equipment.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Maelephant posted:

Yes! Ragnarok was the first roguelikes that I'd ever played extensively and beaten. I think I got it off of one of those shareware/freeware cd compilations which were popular many ages ago.

Recommended start: roll alchemist thousands of times, mixing all of your potions together right away. Usually you'll die in a fiery explosion, but sometimes you'll polymorph into a fire giant, a mudman, or a cloud... whatever you end up as, hopefully your new form is capable of using equipment.

I usually pick... sage? The one that starts with scrolls.

You'll occasionally start with a scroll of wonder. Or maybe it's something else. It has random effects on being read. Read it, hope you get polymorphed into a swordsman (best one early on, in my opinion), and you can go pretty far with that. There are plenty of possibilities, but swordsman was my favorite because you could use scrolls to make (fairly powerful) allies out of origami.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

The farthest I've gotten in Ragnarok was a dungeon I barely found. Game is tough just to move around for a few screens.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Played some Sproggiwood last night. I basically love everything about it.

I did run into a game ending bug. In the second dungeon, as you get close to the bottom there are teleporters. I had a jelly move on to the teleporter and seemingly get stck in an infinite loop. The teleport animation wouldn't stop playing and I couldn't move or use any of my abilities. And it did let me go to the menu, so I was able to quit but I lost the progress from that dungeon.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just got Hoplite last night and it is quite good. I wish there was an idiot mode that always displayed the attack range for demons, and also that the attack ranges took into account demons blocking other demon's line of sight attacks.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

Played some Sproggiwood last night. I basically love everything about it.

I did run into a game ending bug. In the second dungeon, as you get close to the bottom there are teleporters. I had a jelly move on to the teleporter and seemingly get stck in an infinite loop. The teleport animation wouldn't stop playing and I couldn't move or use any of my abilities. And it did let me go to the menu, so I was able to quit but I lost the progress from that dungeon.

Thanks, I'll see if I can fix that for next patch.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zereth posted:

Some of the undead enemies were really annoying, though, so why not just write yourself up a pile of genocide scrolls and erase them all?

Some enemies were immune (most of the high level stuff). Pretty much the only must-genocides I remember were archmages (they could remove items from existence so they wouldn't drop) and spriggans? (tiny dudes who kept multiplying-if left uncontrolled would totally fill most levels they could survive on).

Draugyrs gave levels from corpses, and hel dragons for toughness (wraiths too, iirc). You could do really degenerate stuff in that game and become essentially immune to all but one thing in the game pre-ragnarok (I think knell birds could still kill you). My fav was get luck to 99, then start turbo wishing for the psionics granting shards. That with a helm of telepathy (or something that granted the power) would let you walk on a level, and just click everyone on there dead from the minimap.

You still got owned hard trying to do anything in ragnarok though outside of delivering items you needed to.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I was talking about the crypt specifically there. But yeah, Archmages are something you need to get rid of.

It would be nice if there was something to do other than "hand over artifacts, sit down and twiddle your thumbs until everything resolves" for the final battle.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Since some people are asking, I'm going to start posting build notes again here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?1007-Sproggiwood-Build-Notes&p=3334#post3334

[beta & default]
*Added curtain-close visual to application exit
*Slightly increased the spacing between civic boosts, causing the bottom one to be off the screen, to make it more obvious they can be scrolled
*Updated end-of-adventure UI to auto-scroll
*Updated many villager chats
*Updated many descriptions
*Fixed positioning of several end-of-adventure UI elements
*Fixed an issue with alchemical vial not updating the visual text of remaining sips
*Fixed an incorrect entry for red-slime out of depth encounters
*Fixed the cosmetic sheep in the tutorial incorrectly being non-cosmetic sheep
*Fixed "Try Again" not properly re-equipping you with what you started with

I'll switch to posting them in steam updates once the game page is live and people can see them.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Unormal posted:

Since some people are asking, I'm going to start posting build notes again here: http://forums.freeholdentertainment.com/showthread.php?1007-Sproggiwood-Build-Notes&p=3334#post3334

[beta & default]
*Added curtain-close visual to application exit
*Slightly increased the spacing between civic boosts, causing the bottom one to be off the screen, to make it more obvious they can be scrolled
*Updated end-of-adventure UI to auto-scroll
*Updated many villager chats
*Updated many descriptions
*Fixed positioning of several end-of-adventure UI elements
*Fixed an issue with alchemical vial not updating the visual text of remaining sips
*Fixed an incorrect entry for red-slime out of depth encounters
*Fixed the cosmetic sheep in the tutorial incorrectly being non-cosmetic sheep
*Fixed "Try Again" not properly re-equipping you with what you started with

I'll switch to posting them in steam updates once the game page is live and people can see them.

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Is it just me or is unarmed actually really drat good in IVAN? I managed to become Valpurus' champion by GC 2 somehow so I prayed and he gave me a rad Valpurium greatsword, which was quite good even with negligible skill, but when it somehow vanished (I think a loving magpie stole it or something) I went back to punching things and am now killing everything ten times as fast. I'm literally uppercutting werewolf heads off in one or two hits with just troll hide gauntlets of strength +2, regular human flesh arms, and a pile of unarmed skill.

Also, does anyone have any idea how alignment works in this ridiculous game? I keep going from Very Lawful back down to Lawful for no apparent reason, and Valpurus has gone from Champion down to Very Pleased relationship. I haven't the faintest clue why this is. I know vomiting repeatedly is chaotic (I did the ommel cerumen chest trick and automatically became Satan in an earlier game, which pissed Legifer right off let me tell you), but I've only puked, like, three times from skunks poisoning me. What the hell is going on??

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, does anyone have any idea how alignment works in this ridiculous game? I keep going from Very Lawful back down to Lawful for no apparent reason, and Valpurus has gone from Champion down to Very Pleased relationship. I haven't the faintest clue why this is. I know vomiting repeatedly is chaotic (I did the ommel cerumen chest trick and automatically became Satan in an earlier game, which pissed Legifer right off let me tell you), but I've only puked, like, three times from skunks poisoning me. What the hell is going on??

From the wiki:

quote:

Reading the holy book or praying to a certain god will raise your relation with that god and also shift your Alignment closer to the god's. Deities of similar alignment will also be slightly pleased.

The increase in favour is proportionate to the alignment similarity: If you pray to Atavus (L+), Legifer (also L+) will be pleased nearly as much as Atavus, while Valpurus (L++) and gods of lawful (L) alignment will be also pleased. Sophos (L-) would not care (no change in relationship) and gods of greater alignment differences will be increasingly displeased, so it is best to pick a handful of similarly aligned gods to pray to. Note that praying to Valpurus (L++) will make Sophos (L-) slightly angry, as the alignment difference is too large.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've only been reading holy books of, and praying to, Valpurus and Legifer :psyduck:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I think there are some things you can't kill without it impacting your alignment as well maybe - you can't kill anyone in Attnam without becoming more chaotic, for instance.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

tinkerttoy posted:

Congrats! What upgrade path did you take?

Late reply is late, but I took HP+ almost exclusively and the throw distance upgrade. The ability to stun dudes upon landing from a jump perk is probably why I won.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sproggiwood patch live:

*Added boss villager chats
*Added sound for frostbarb and biting frost weapons
*Fixed Sapius 3's haircut
*Fixed teleport scroll being indefinitely reusable
*Changed trigger y-value on council cutscene
*Changed council elders to be invulnerable
*Updated quit popup dialog text
*Replaced debug progress from loading screens
*Fixed smaller boss levels having leftover trash from earlier bigger levels on the mini-map

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
There are cards in Sproggiwood now?!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Xir posted:

There are cards in Sproggiwood now?!

Yeah, looks like they went live after final approval the other day! Can't trade them till the main page goes live, though.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

Yeah, looks like they went live after final approval the other day! Can't trade them till the main page goes live, though.

If I could make a clone of myself right now I would dedicate it entirely to the fun Steam poo poo Dungeonmans needs, like cards and chievoz. Guh.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

If I could make a clone of myself right now I would dedicate it entirely to the fun Steam poo poo Dungeonmans needs, like cards and chievoz. Guh.

Yeah, actually making the game is increasingly the minority portion of the work.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
I am still vaguely floored that a person popped up and volunteered to do all the icons for ToME's achievements.

They're actually pretty awesome icons, which is a feat considering that, even ignoring that he used palette swaps/borders for the difficulties, we're talking 500 or so achievements.

One of the things I've started doing since starting to help with development is paying a lot of attention to the little things, when playing a game. Someone often put a lot of work into them.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SageAcrin posted:

I am still vaguely floored that a person popped up and volunteered to do all the icons for ToME's achievements.

They're actually pretty awesome icons, which is a feat considering that, even ignoring that he used palette swaps/borders for the difficulties, we're talking 500 or so achievements.

One of the things I've started doing since starting to help with development is paying a lot of attention to the little things, when playing a game. Someone often put a lot of work into them.

Are there really over 500 achievements? I thought there were 150 or so...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Are there really over 500 achievements? I thought there were 150 or so...
Most of TOME's achievements have different versions for each difficulty.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Most of TOME's achievements have different versions for each difficulty.

Well that depends. The ingame achievement tracker has about 150, while also tracking which difficulty you got each on. The Steam achievements instead have 9 different difficulty versions for each.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Well that depends. The ingame achievement tracker has about 150, while also tracking which difficulty you got each on. The Steam achievements instead have 9 different difficulty versions for each.

The Steam list is just over 1300 due to permutations on difficulty *and* extra-lives-mode. So you end up with a single achievement(Reach Level 10) getting a bunch of different permutations on Difficulty(Easy,Normal,Insanity,Nightmare,Madness) and extra-lives modes(Exploration,Adventure,Roguelike) and no granting of lesser achievements on higher difficulties.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is it just me or is unarmed actually really drat good in IVAN? I managed to become Valpurus' champion by GC 2 somehow so I prayed and he gave me a rad Valpurium greatsword, which was quite good even with negligible skill, but when it somehow vanished (I think a loving magpie stole it or something) I went back to punching things and am now killing everything ten times as fast. I'm literally uppercutting werewolf heads off in one or two hits with just troll hide gauntlets of strength +2, regular human flesh arms, and a pile of unarmed skill.

How the gently caress did you do that in the first place?

Big and/or heavy weapons are hard to use accurately, especially against small enemies. This is why maces/halberds tend to do poorly early game and punching things usually kills things quicker than them early. That greatsword will only do well when you get stats plus enchant it to consistently hit things.

I think the very extreme alignments decay back towards neutral naturally and you have to consistently pray to your aligned gods to keep your alignment at that point. Also you're supposed to pray as soon as your timer elapses for maximum favor.

I only half-remember these systems, but those are my ideas.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

How the gently caress did you do that in the first place?

I found a complete goddamn shitload of Valpurus holy books. Like, just everywhere. They were lying all over the place, it was surreal.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I just started playing DoomRL and I have a game where I found a super shotgun on the third level, thing is a beast. Should I try to get nano-shrapnel on it? I feel like I don't have a good sense of what mods to use on weapons like that, I guess it needs wizkid.

How much ammo should I carry around? Medkits? Inventory management seems pretty tight, I have a rocket launcher that I'd like to keep as well.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 11, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jeffrey posted:

I just started playing DoomRL and I have a game where I found a super shotgun on the third level, thing is a beast. Should I try to get nano-shrapnel on it? I feel like I don't have a good sense of what mods to use on weapons like that, I guess it needs wizkid.

How much ammo should I carry around? Medkits? Inventory management seems pretty tight, I have a rocket launcher that I'd like to keep as well.

Nano-shrapnel is nice, but the nano mod pack is nowhere near guaranteed. If you're unlucky you'll only ever find the sniper or firestorm rare mod packs, both of which are useless on shotguns.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
One thing that's confusing me about Sproggiwood is the ability to farm those blue replicating square things with ice or fire attacks (especially for the archer) to get to desired level and then run straight for the boss. Are they supposed to be spawning so much?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Nano-shrapnel is nice, but the nano mod pack is nowhere near guaranteed. If you're unlucky you'll only ever find the sniper or firestorm rare mod packs, both of which are useless on shotguns.

Ahh, okay, makes sense. I decided not to go for wizkid, I guess I should just power mod it? I also found an assault shotgun, but super shotgun seems better, hard to say.

e: nvm, dead to boss of deimos lab. Scary!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 11, 2014

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Never played Ragnarok before, so I'm playing it now. First death was 20 turns in when I mixed two potions and exploded.

Rolled another guy with the same name and...

Ha! I get flak from Dungeonmans players because I don't let them use the name of a fallen hero, so this feels very satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jeffrey posted:

That depends which main class you are. Marine can get away with carrying less ammo because he'll armor pierce things with his shotgun - everyone else needs to carry a ton because the super shotgun might be awesome, but later-game its actual damage will drop off considerably as poo poo gets armor. If you can complete the Wall or the Containment Area without blowing it up or dying hideously the Backpack will do a lot to help you.

As a rule I would generally take a stack of ammo over a small medkit. You might think 'yeahhhh carry a ton of healing' but those things don't do much of anything, so dump them and use them as is useful and don't worry too much if you have to leave one behind. If you're a marine, consider not hoarding mod packs because you'll never really get to do a ton with them.

The assault shotgun is really important because, as long as you're not loading new shells into it, the reload time is drastically reduced because it's just pumping the shotgun. The tactical shotgun doesn't even need to do that much, it just fires everything it has. By and large, reload times and low damage late-game are the things you have to watch out for. (In this case, you carry both - assault shotgun for firing around corners and at things far away, shotgun in the altslot for anything right up close to you.)