Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'm in charge of inventing post apocalyptic Mexico and let me tell you, knowing nothing about Mexico or the Spanish language is an obstacle.

Fun, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: /\/\/\/\ sounds like a good learning experience, though :v:. There will probably be lots of impassable terrain in the mountains, a lot of holdings near Mexico City, and lots of long obnoxious names for both people and provinces.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Okay, getting your mod hyped by Paradox is pretty fuckin' awesome.

It helps that After The End is a fantastic mod, even with only half of the map filled.

Speaking of After The End, I forget if I have seen it asked, but have you AtE guys done the math (or an estimation) on how many counties the map will have when it is full up compared to how many provinces the base game now has with India?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 9, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Shadeoses posted:

I'm in charge of inventing post apocalyptic Mexico and let me tell you, knowing nothing about Mexico or the Spanish language is an obstacle.

Fun, though.

Do you have a general outline of plans? I know a bit about Mexico and Central America and I'd love to help.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I won't hear a bad word against the fine baronies of Santa María Jalapa del Marqués and Parangaricutirimícuaro.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Do you have a general outline of plans? I know a bit about Mexico and Central America and I'd love to help.

I've actually almost finished laying out the provinces, just the kingdoms of Gran Chichimeca, Jalisco and Michoacán left. Of course, there's almost certainly room for improvement.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Shadeoses posted:

I won't hear a bad word against the fine baronies of Santa María Jalapa del Marqués and Parangaricutirimícuaro.

This is amazing. Does that even fit in the UI?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

Quanah Parker walks again, get the peyote.

Before he changed his name to Credit, High Chairman of All Comancheria, his name was Quanah actually! Alas his dynasty was not Parker, but Quanahid, because that is how Shia Rising, and thus also Consumerist Rising dynasty names are picked.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

So if I kill my other kids so she is my heir then her kids will get all my poo poo plus all his poo poo right (depending on sweden's succession laws which I didn't bother checking)?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Awesome! posted:

So if I kill my other kids so she is my heir then her kids will get all my poo poo plus all his poo poo right (depending on sweden's succession laws which I didn't bother checking)?

I wonder why he is even accepting a matrilineal marriage when he is a heir of a kingdom title.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I wonder why he is even accepting a matrilineal marriage when he is a heir of a kingdom title.

that's what I thought but I didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. He did accept and they are married currently.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
He probably hung out at a different court whose king didn't give a poo poo about Sweden

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

So my child stabbing logic is sound then? My son/heir is currently holding the barony of tivoly so it might be a little harder to get to him but all my other kids are still young/teens and within my...loving reach.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BabyFur Denny posted:

He probably hung out at a different court whose king didn't give a poo poo about Sweden

In the screenshot it look like the request is going out ot the King of Sweden to approve :confused:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm having a strange bug with the new version of After the End, large pockets of provinces that can't be selected because they have no characters, south and west of the Papacy and in the western parts of Texas. Anyone know what the problem might be?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fuligin posted:

I'm having a strange bug with the new version of After the End, large pockets of provinces that can't be selected because they have no characters, south and west of the Papacy and in the western parts of Texas. Anyone know what the problem might be?

I think it is built like that right now because making characters/families/ect is a very tedious process, and the game autogenerates characters for those spots if none are seeded in the files.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Fuligin posted:

That's not a bug, we just haven't created characters for those areas yet.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Sam. posted:

That's not a bug, we just haven't created characters for those areas yet.

Ahh okay chill, I couldn't remember if that had been a thing in the previous version or not. Also is Comancheria present in this update? I feel like an idiot but I didn't find them briefly scoping around.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fuligin posted:

Ahh okay chill, I couldn't remember if that had been a thing in the previous version or not. Also is Comancheria present in this update? I feel like an idiot but I didn't find them briefly scoping around.

They're in the github version at least. They're the semi-blob in west Texas.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Awesome! posted:

So my child stabbing logic is sound then? My son/heir is currently holding the barony of tivoly so it might be a little harder to get to him but all my other kids are still young/teens and within my...loving reach.

Your child tabbing logic is sound. If you kill all other children so she inherits you titles then your grandchildren can inherit your current titles + Sweden.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bort Bortles posted:

In the screenshot it look like the request is going out ot the King of Sweden to approve :confused:

Yea I think he was at court with his daddy but I'm not certain

e: I actually won't mind killing my son. here he is making me proud

:aatrek:

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2014

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Awesome! posted:

Yea I think he was at court with his daddy but I'm not certain

hah, well whoever it was decided to accept your offer!

Christmas Cake
Dec 25, 2008

Shadeoses posted:

Fun, though.

Give them a Catholic heresy based on Jesus Malverde.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeah, that'd normally be a no but hey, consider yourself lucky OP! (maybe there was a pre-existing betrothal or a huge power/prestige differential between Sweden and Ireland in your game - I've seen both of those work to get matri-marriages that would ordinarily never fly).

Your child murder question has already been answered, but yeah, assuming a) nobody kills either of the newlyweds before they reproduce, and b) Sweden's succession laws aren't Elective or something similarly changeable, your grandkids will get both.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Some pages ago I asked for an easy game as a Muslim ruler and people recommended an Iberian one, so I tried the Emir of Granada.
Holy hell, is it hard. Does anyone have any tips for surviving the first few years in 1066 Iberia? The Christian kings are all of the Jimena dynasty and naturally join each other's wars. Within a few years at the start the Jimena wrecking ball starts demolishing Muslim Iberia one holy war at a time -- how do I stop it? I've tried joining the defender's war, but even our combined armies aren't enough to resist Leon + Castile + Galicia + Aragon.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Contingency Plan posted:

Some pages ago I asked for an easy game as a Muslim ruler and people recommended an Iberian one, so I tried the Emir of Granada.
Holy hell, is it hard. Does anyone have any tips for surviving the first few years in 1066 Iberia? The Christian kings are all of the Jimena dynasty and naturally join each other's wars. Within a few years at the start the Jimena wrecking ball starts demolishing Muslim Iberia one holy war at a time -- how do I stop it? I've tried joining the defender's war, but even our combined armies aren't enough to resist Leon + Castile + Galicia + Aragon.

That seems completely counter to my experiences. I've never seen the Jimenas win wars against the Andalusian Emirates until the rise of Holy Orders.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Duke Gonzalo the Speedy

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Gerald of Wales, The Description of Wales, Book II, Chapter 10 posted:

There are three things which are causing the ruin of the Welsh people and preventing them, generation after generation, from ever enjoying their prosperity. The first is that all their sons, both legitimate and illegitimate, insist upon taking equal shares in their patrimony. One result of this, as I have said already, is that they not infrequently kill each other. The second is that they entrust the upbringing of their sons to important people of good family in the neighborhood. When the fathers die, each foster-parent does all in his power to ensure the succession of his protege, which leads to murder, arson, an wholesale destruction. Thirdly, through their natural pride and obstinacy, they will not order themselves as other nations do so successfully, but refuse to accept the rule and dominion of one single king.

My 12th century history course is making me appreciate this game more and more.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Ok well I know own this game and all the DLC. Lets see if it sucks. Guess I'll follow the OP and start in Ireland Dublin in 1081. Unless there is new better advice?

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 9, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Bum the Sad posted:

Ok well I know own this game and all the DLC. Lets see if it sucks. Guess I'll follow the OP and start in Ireland Dublin in 1081. Unless there is new better advice?

Nah, I think Ireland is still the standard newbie starting point. Usually people start in 1066, but there's no real substantial difference other than the Byzantines are probably more likely to fall in 1081.

Although if that happens, then the Pope is likely to call a crusade for Greece, so if you're bored of Ireland by then you can pick up shop, move to Constantinople, and get your Latin Empire on. :getin:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is anyone aware of the AI utilizing retinues if the player doesn't own Legacy of Rome?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alright...I just got back into this game after taking a long time off from playing it. I took a stab as Ireland because it would be a nice starter game and you have the chance to reunite a kingdom. I've done that, taking nine counties, but I've got a Gavelkind problem. The heir is a low-talent putz and his oldest brother is a putz, but the third son is 13+ in both military and stewardship. What good ways are there to get rid of the older two sons so he can have all of the land to himself instead of splitting it up three ways?

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 9, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

stab them? :ese:

can you stab your kids directly?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Awesome! posted:

stab them? :ese:

can you stab your kids directly?
I can try to assassinate each son for 350 gold - very costly. I did manage to smother Brian II's two-year-old brother to avoid a Gavelkind split before he became the current king though :v:

The problem is that I don't have any plots available on the Intrigue tab and the king's about to turn 50 so I need to get this poo poo sorted out.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
If you're still small and not concerned about tyranny you can imprison/execute the older heirs. You can't plot to murder them and assassinate is too expensive at the start so just eat the tyranny and roll with it. Of course, at this point you might as well just go all the way and do the same to anyone else in your realm you don't like. Then, if you want to die just dismiss your spymaster and take paid assassinations at high intrigue mayors across the world in hopes one of them counters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crazy Ted posted:

I can try to assassinate each son for 350 gold - very costly. I did manage to smother Brian II's two-year-old brother to avoid a Gavelkind split before he became the current king though :v:

The problem is that I don't have any plots available on the Intrigue tab and the king's about to turn 50 so I need to get this poo poo sorted out.

Unfortunately, you cannot plot to kill your children. (ck2txt) Use diplo assassinations, put them in command of an army and hope they die, give your middles son a church to disinherit him, or force him to take the vows... there are a few possibilities to deal with this problem.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think you can appoint primary heirs as bishops.

If its any consolation, playing a putz is a challenge, and if you manage to unfuck yourself, it's a greater victory for it.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 9, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Riso posted:

You will need an app to open .DDS like paint.net.

Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii\gfx\loadingscreens

If you want to open and save them properly in photoshop if you got it, use this:
https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

I believe that's exactly what was used when creating assets for East vs. West, and likely paradox as a whole uses it itself. Probably a lot of companies use it actually.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Duke Gonzalo the Speedy

You got a problem with Speedy Gonzalo? :colbert:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Crazy Ted posted:

What good ways are there to get rid of the older two sons so he can have all of the land to himself instead of splitting it up three ways?

If third son is not already married, consider marrying him to a high-intrigue spouse with traits like Ambitious/Deceitful/Cynical/Cruel. YOU can't plot to murder your own kids, but their siblings and in-laws have no such limitations, and in my experience the spouses of secondary heirs are pretty prone to plotting to murder people ahead of their spouses in line.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Vassalized the Knights Hospitaler because they controlled Greece, and hey why not grab a bunch of prime land for 500 gold? Then I usurped the title King of Greece, because it seemed like a basically free source of prestige. Oh wait, the title is passed by Senority? Oops character dies, title starts wrecking my kingdom as it peels off more and more counties held by old members of my dynasty. Eventually I have to stab about a dozen members of my dynasty to get my next characters 30 year old hands on the title so I can destroy it. Now everyone in my dynasty HATES me. Lesson learned, look up the specifics of the title before usurping it.

• Locked thread