Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Fuckers in a color and I cant read it. goddammit.

You go directly to the dealer/factory for parts. FLAPS won't have poo poo for em.

Last I heard the biturbo 6.75 had a 18month wait on lifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

charliemonster42 posted:

I can't imagine you can go to O'Reillys or Napa and order a spare set of pistons...

£22.50 apiece from Introcar.

cursedshitbox posted:

Fuckers in a color and I cant read it. goddammit.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
That twin cylinder body block on a straight bank is doing my head in.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Whoa, I thought it said 10-30 in the color version.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Whoa, I thought it said 10-30 in the color version.

I couldn't see the hyphen and thought it said 1030 HP. :haw:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I read 10.50 and was impressed with their precision.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I couldn't see the hyphen and thought it said 1030 HP. :haw:

Ditto. I couldn't read the line above it either. and looking at the engine thought, NO loving WAY THAT MADE 1030HP.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
The Guy who posted that on Reddit said parts aren't too hard to find, but its cheaper a lot the time just to make new ones.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Guys I think one of my calipers might be stuck...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Godholio posted:

I do believe he meant the passenger compartment & its occupants.

why_I_won't_restore_a_beetle_for_my_wife.jpg:

:nms: http://imgur.com/YuoZFst.jpg :nms:

Probably nicked it from this thread, too. :v:

Well, okay, maybe if we just hung panels on a tubeframe...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

Would a cage of any sort change this? I'm scurred

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Geirskogul posted:

Have to be one hell of a cage but yes, especially if the fronk was designed as a crush zone to absorb some of the energy. Pretty much anything is going to be better than a stock beetle/2cv/500/etc when it comes to passenger safety in a crash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why ACVW fans hate Ralph Nader.

(because they don't want to admit he was right)

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

That's why ACVW fans hate Ralph Nader.

(because they don't want to admit he was right)

I thought that was Corvairs because of their swing axles, but then again VWs are also air cooled and have swing axles and now I'm confused. :saddowns:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boat posted:

I thought that was Corvairs because of their swing axles, but then again VWs are also air cooled and have swing axles and now I'm confused. :saddowns:

Yeah, it started with the Corvairs but eventually the beetle came under his scrutiny too. He said at one point that all VW's should be recalled and the purchase price should be refunded to owners.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep, the real difference is that Nader was successful in targeting the Corvair. The Beetle was too popular and too common by the time he latched onto it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Doesn't help that it was hit by a wall on wheels with an overhang at head height. How drat huge was that thing?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
We have an older Beetle that used to be my daily driver but now we're probably going to sell it. We were just going to keep it for a weekender but the last time we took a short trip in it with our daughter in the back I just keep glancing at every car on the road and seeing them go through the side. It's just so much worry.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

General_Failure posted:

Doesn't help that it was hit by a wall on wheels with an overhang at head height. How drat huge was that thing?

That looks like a stock base model truck.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Something pretty nasty happened in the middle of a 3hr ride yesterday

(NSFW swears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZC5vz89kQ

The plug blew out and I'm currently trying to figure out whether the threads on my head are hosed or not. Exciting times.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That was about the same reaction I had when I popped a tube in sand last weekend.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
At least a motorcycle head is like, what, 5 pounds? And isn't a horrible pain in the rear end to take off. You can probably helicoil that with nothing more than a drill press and a helicoil kit and be riding again next week.

(disclaimer: I have only ever helped work on Fart Pipe's uncle's harley, it took him like 45 minutes to do the head gasket on a Friday evening.)

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

That looks like a stock base model truck.

http://www.10news.com/news/deadly-crash-on-sr-52

Chevrolet 2500, so 6000lbs+?

Driver was drunk, driving the wrong way, got six years.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

kastein posted:

At least a motorcycle head is like, what, 5 pounds? And isn't a horrible pain in the rear end to take off. You can probably helicoil that with nothing more than a drill press and a helicoil kit and be riding again next week.

(disclaimer: I have only ever helped work on Fart Pipe's uncle's harley, it took him like 45 minutes to do the head gasket on a Friday evening.)

It's probably one of the hardest jobs to do on my bike. Plus I don't have a garage or tools like a drill press. A new plug seated for about a turn and a half before I met resistance... hopefully it's just soot on the threads. If it's wrecked, it's literally easier to replace the entire head than helicoil one plug :v:

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

That is not ATF fluid. :gonk:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Geirskogul posted:

The truck driver was drunk and crossed the median at speed iirc so it'd have to be one hell of a roll cage.

Seeing that photo again is sobering, my Mini would probably end up the same way in that crash.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Splizwarf posted:

Why I'm probably going to die the first time I take my finished bug out on the road.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

M42 posted:

Something pretty nasty happened in the middle of a 3hr ride yesterday

(NSFW swears)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZC5vz89kQ

The plug blew out and I'm currently trying to figure out whether the threads on my head are hosed or not. Exciting times.

Curious, what bike/engine and whose plug?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

Looks like a 08+ ninja 250. and from the sound of it one of the two spark plugs blew out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

General_Failure posted:

Yeah, jacked up bro truck with the bumper at face height would murder any kind of compact. From the way it's sitting on that Beetle, it looks like it jumped over the hood straight into the windscreen.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep, the real difference is that Nader was successful in targeting the Corvair. The Beetle was too popular and too common by the time he latched onto it.

related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1hf87TQ44

M42
Nov 12, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

04 Ninja two fiddy. NGK plug. Both are known to be long-lasting, no bullshit objects. Receiving end of a freak occurance, I guess.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, jacked up bro truck with the bumper at face height would murder any kind of compact. From the way it's sitting on that Beetle, it looks like it jumped over the hood straight into the windscreen.

I remember some old text on automotive safety showing pictures and diagrams explaining that the spare tire stowage on a beetle was conducive to sending another car straight up into the windscreen.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Liquid Communism posted:

In no way is that a bro truck.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

M42 posted:

It's probably one of the hardest jobs to do on my bike. Plus I don't have a garage or tools like a drill press. A new plug seated for about a turn and a half before I met resistance... hopefully it's just soot on the threads. If it's wrecked, it's literally easier to replace the entire head than helicoil one plug :v:

Getting the carbs off might just dissuade you from going further. Sell the bike at a loss and save yourself the hassle.

Where are you located? I have a spare RD400 engine that needs to go in something newer.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I have actually taken the carbs off three times in the last two weeks and now no longer balk at the idea :v: I'm in VA. That engine'd be wayyy too big to fit in the frame... but it would be pretty cool.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

In no way is that a bro truck.

Yeah uh, that looks like a bone stock 2500 work truck. Mid 00s if I had to guess, going by the lights.

A base model 2500 is still north of 6000 lbs... hitting a <1500 pound early VW. The driver of the VW had no idea what happened.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 10, 2014

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

M42 posted:

Yeah, the 250's are a bitch to work on in terms of space but pulling the engine is pretty simple. Pull it out and helicoil it. Cheaper than swapping the actual heads and just as much bitch work to get access.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Liquid Communism posted:

there really should be some sort of license requirement with a complicated test about offroading, safety, and vehicle dynamics to drive a jacked-up truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

Yeah uh, that looks like a bone stock 2500 work truck. Mid 00s if I had to guess, going by the lights.

A base model 2500 is still north of 6000 lbs... hitting a <1500 pound early VW. The driver of the VW had no idea what happened.

What was the last thing to go through the beetle drivers mind?

A bowtie

Sorry :(

atomicthumbs posted:

there really should be some sort of license requirement with a complicated test about offroading, safety, and vehicle dynamics to drive a jacked-up truck.

babby steps. How about a license to pull a trailer first. The US doesn't require a license until your vehicle weighs 8 times what the average vehicle weighs.