Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
Don't forget the part where the Dark Enlightenment people think that we would be better off under feudal monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ah yes, the well known fact that the Republican party of the 19th century held the same values as our 21st century parties.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Rosalind posted:

I have shared that quote with people, including my father, who immediately responded with "So Republicans are all racist now huh?" :negative:

"No dad, it's just that racists tends to be Republicans" :v:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Rosalind posted:

I have shared that quote with people, including my father, who immediately responded with "So Republicans are all racist now huh?" :negative:

"Yes."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Guys, lay off the Republicans. They're fighting for racial equality to be at the same level that they always have.

The level we had in the 19th Century

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Here you go, have some craziness that was forwarded to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvA1lWQ-iT8

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
That's an hour and 7 minutes long. Jesus christ, he is gonna ramble like that for an hour.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm imagining that he is actually a koala.

I wish the sovereign citizen thread had more movement. The crazy is delicious.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

That's an hour and 7 minutes long. Jesus christ, he is gonna ramble like that for an hour.

Yeeeeeeup.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
The part about the whole sovereign citizen thing I never got was the expectation they have that the unlawful state with it's unlawful power that it uses for unlawful and nefarious purposes won't just ignore your mastery of the true secret law and gently caress you regardless.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The part about the whole sovereign citizen thing I never got was the expectation they have that the unlawful state with it's unlawful power that it uses for unlawful and nefarious purposes won't just ignore your mastery of the true secret law and gently caress you regardless.
Double secret maritime law is magic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The idea is that the puppetmasters of the illegitimate state are aware of and still rely on the true secret law, so they are forced to acknowledge you if you invoke it.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Why do I keep seeing this guy pop up? Who the gently caress is he in 200 words or less?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Rosalind posted:

Appropriate response.

"'your words' but yeah pretty much."

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck and you stuff it into a turkey then...

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Foyes36 posted:

Why do I keep seeing this guy pop up? Who the gently caress is he in 200 words or less?

TL;DR from reading up on this poo poo today: He's an rear end in a top hat who wants to change the rules of society so that he doesn't get poo poo on for being an rear end in a top hat. Also a racist.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Rosalind posted:

Hey, they don't actually hate black people, they just regard them as subhuman political scapegoats. That's not racist at all!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Wait...how are they contrasting Obamacare to the reconstruction amendments?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

VideoTapir posted:

Wait...how are they contrasting Obamacare to the reconstruction amendments?

Terrible application of the transitive property.

In the past the Dems did not support the objectively good bills that Reps passed (because it was objectively good, which is all they will support). Fast forward many, many years and you see that Reps did not support O-care at all. As previously established this means O-care was bad, QED.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Hey, they don't actually hate black people, they just regard them as subhuman political scapegoats. That's not racist at all!

hey, Republicans love black folks, so long as black folks are content to stick to their appointed positions within society (shoe-shine boy, trumpeteer, maid-turned-mistress, etc).

it's when people get ~uppity~ that there are problems

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Abortion stuff ahead:

Pro-lifers on my wall are getting upset because apparently parents can sue doctors (and win) for not detecting a genetic abnormality, because had the parents known the kid was going to have a defect, he would have been aborted. Here's such a case (warning: pro-life site):

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jury-awards-couple-50-million-in-wrongful-birth-lawsuit

In Israel, people who were born with genetic defects tried to sue when they were adult claiming they should have aborted, too.

While I laugh at the outrage, it is pretty hardcore to try and claim your child should have been aborted after they were born. I want to send the parents a baby shirt saying "my parents wished they could abort me" after hearing that.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Crain posted:

Terrible application of the transitive property.

In the past the Dems did not support the objectively good bills that Reps passed (because it was objectively good, which is all they will support). Fast forward many, many years and you see that Reps did not support O-care at all. As previously established this means O-care was bad, QED.

That and the Democrats are the real racists.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

seiferguy posted:

Abortion stuff ahead:

Pro-lifers on my wall are getting upset because apparently parents can sue doctors (and win) for not detecting a genetic abnormality, because had the parents known the kid was going to have a defect, he would have been aborted. Here's such a case (warning: pro-life site):

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/jury-awards-couple-50-million-in-wrongful-birth-lawsuit

In Israel, people who were born with genetic defects tried to sue when they were adult claiming they should have aborted, too.

While I laugh at the outrage, it is pretty hardcore to try and claim your child should have been aborted after they were born. I want to send the parents a baby shirt saying "my parents wished they could abort me" after hearing that.
The kid has a sub-70 IQ and can barely walk. He will be forever incapable of even reading the t-shirt if you gave it to him, let alone understanding the concepts behind it. He's not ever going to be remotely functional in society; the parents are either going to have to take care of him (which is pretty much a 24/7 job, 365 days a year), or hire someone to do it for the rest of his life.

For a lot of people, that is much worse than a miscarriage. I mean, there are totally parents out there that will say they're so happy to do that for a child, but that's, like, a lifetime of care you're giving for someone who--even in a best-case scenario--is largely going to be a child for the rest of their life.

It's horrifically tragic. You can certainly make an argument that since they knew about the possibility of having a kid with this sort of disability, they probably should have adopted, but adoption is loving expensive, and they're both teachers. So, instead, they opted to have all the necessary and proper testing and screening done... which the hospital and lab failed at. It's hard to say whether $50 million is an appropriate verdict or not, but we're talking about a lifetime of having to take care of a child.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
What is a good counter-argument for "maybe voter ID laws drove down turnout because there was less fraud and therefore fewer overall votes" besides "you're racist"?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Buzkashi posted:

What is a good counter-argument for "maybe voter ID laws drove down turnout because there was less fraud and therefore fewer overall votes" besides "you're racist"?

I would say "show them the actual numbers on voter fraud", but those numbers were probably compiled by liebrals or whatever.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Buzkashi posted:

The stats on voter fraud over the last 20 years.

Or just this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/11/upshot/vote-fraud-is-rare-but-myth-is-widespread.html?abt=0002&abg=0

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Buzkashi posted:

Link them to any one of those articles about legitimate voters (usually sympathetic old people) who have trouble meeting the requirements.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Buzkashi posted:

Point out that there's no push for more scrutiny of absentee ballots even though they're a larger source of vote fraud. Incidentally, absentee ballots lean heavily republican.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ashcans posted:

Link them to any one of those articles about legitimate voters (usually sympathetic old people) who have trouble meeting the requirements.

I'm on my phone so I can't get it for you, but in the Texas gubernatorial primaries, neither Wendy Davis nor Voter ID supporting Greg Abbott met the requirements. It's not great in terms of raw data, but it's a good emotional/ "common sense" appeal.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Thanatosian posted:

The kid has a sub-70 IQ and can barely walk. He will be forever incapable of even reading the t-shirt if you gave it to him, let alone understanding the concepts behind it. He's not ever going to be remotely functional in society; the parents are either going to have to take care of him (which is pretty much a 24/7 job, 365 days a year), or hire someone to do it for the rest of his life.

For a lot of people, that is much worse than a miscarriage. I mean, there are totally parents out there that will say they're so happy to do that for a child, but that's, like, a lifetime of care you're giving for someone who--even in a best-case scenario--is largely going to be a child for the rest of their life.

It's horrifically tragic. You can certainly make an argument that since they knew about the possibility of having a kid with this sort of disability, they probably should have adopted, but adoption is loving expensive, and they're both teachers. So, instead, they opted to have all the necessary and proper testing and screening done... which the hospital and lab failed at. It's hard to say whether $50 million is an appropriate verdict or not, but we're talking about a lifetime of having to take care of a child.

There's a really good documentary on netflix called Hot Coffee it's all about cases like that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mr E posted:

Ah yes, the well known fact that the Republican party of the 19th century held the same values as our 21st century parties.

I've always liked using this one after someone here offered it up:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Eh young Republicans often support a lot of things the actual party doesn't. Republicans really weren't a friend of labor back then(along with many Democrats, see the Taft-Hartly vote), it's just you have to pay more lip service when 30%+ of the population is in a union and they've never been eagerly in favor of SS, at least compared to the other side.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/89-1965/h35
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/89-1965/s151
http://www.ssa.gov/history/tally.html

e: of course this doesn't change the fact the parties have in many regards drastically changed ideology, and have become more polarized.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

homerlaw posted:

There's a really good documentary on netflix called Hot Coffee it's all about cases like that.

I've also heard good things about that documentary, but this actually involves a very different set of issues.

seiferguy posted:

Abortion stuff ahead:

This sort of lawsuit (there are two variants, "wrongful birth" and "wrongful life") are actually quite controversial, beyond the pro- and anti- abortion debate.

I'll explain the wrongful birth controversy first. Aside from the pro-life "this will increase the abortion rate" arguments, there are legitimate concerns that this creates eugenic pressure- as such, disability rights groups are frequently opposed to these lawsuits. Part of the problem is that there isn't a good way to create a clear standard for what sort of abnormality should qualify, so there are slippery slope issues. The other problem is that it's a counterfactual assertion ("if you had told me, I would have taken this course of action")- it's harder to present meaningful evidence on one side or another of assertions like this, so case outcomes seem arbitrary.
"wrongful birth" suits are legal in about half the country.

The "wrongful life" ones are the really controversial, though, because the parents in those cases are suing on behalf of the child. The child (who is usually dead by that point) is the one who is nominally starting the lawsuit. They're effectively saying that children with the disability shouldn't be permitted to live. This turns up the eugenics undertones to eleven, and very few jurisdictions across the world have permitted this sort of suit.
"wrongful life" suits are admissible in a handful of jurisdictions in the US.

This is probably going to become a major political issue in coming years as genetic testing for various conditions becomes more accurate, and potential eugenic applications become more routinized.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 9, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I'm not really cool with the worst case scenario of 'wide-spread eugenics' but I can't imagine a solution that wouldn't flagrantly violate women's rights. At the end of the day it's still her body, her choice.

People used to use that silly 'gotcha' argument on me long ago since I'm pro-choice and pro-LBGT, 'What if parents could find out the sexuality of the child and abort it?' Well, I guess I'd think they're lovely parents making a lovely choice but I'm not about to step in and legally prevent an abortion just because I don't like the circumstances surrounding it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Poizen Jam posted:

'What if parents could find out the sexuality of the child and abort it?'
"How would they be able to do that before the child had developed sexual and gender identities?"

And then you get into the genetics v. choice debate. :unsmigghh:

e: vvv Well yeah, the correct answer is 'who cares? I still support LGBT rights'. There's no genetic test for sexuality currently, and no reason that there should be due to what you said. But if you have to debate people who believe in prepartum eugenics on the basis of sexuality, then you might as well throw in identity self-determination. Or a cascade of psyducks.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 10, 2014

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Guavanaut posted:

And then you get into the genetics v. choice debate. :unsmigghh:

That's a stupid debate and the aetiology of human sexual orientation ought not to have any bearing on discussions of ethics or legality surrounding it.

You can only lose by engaging in this debate with opponents of LBGT-rights: If you could prove it's genetic, they can simply say it needs to be cured like any other genetic condition; if you convince them it's a choice/sociocultural, they say you can choose not to be that way. It all buys into the idea that there's some distinction between choice/biology anyway, when it's a lot more complicated than that. Is it necessarily a 'choice' if overwhelming psychosocial pressures encourage you to behave in, or believe in certain ways?

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

quote:

Subject: Fw: At a Tennessee Football Game---no joke

my goodness, it's hard to believe how far we have turned from God. Satan must be jumpin for joy

Subject: At a Tennessee Football Game--

-no joke

I checked with snopes and it's true!

Christianity is now the target of persecution...

THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS!
GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHO READS THIS AND PASSES IT ON.

I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT A HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPAL CAN SEE THE PROBLEM, BUT OUR SOCIETY CANNOT.
<BAD>
Tennessee Football
This is a statement that was read over the PA system at the football game at Roane C ounty High School, Kingston, Tennessee, by school principal, Jody McLeod

"It has always been the custom at Roane County High School football games, to say a prayer and play the National Anthem, to honor God and Country."

Due to a recent ruling by the Supreme Court, I am told that saying a Prayer is a violation of Federal Case Law. As I understand the law at this time, I can use this public facility to approve of sexual perversion and call it "an alternate life style,"and, if someone is offended, that's OK.

I can use it to condone sexual promiscuity, by dispensing condoms and calling it, "safe sex." If someone is offended, that's OK.

I can even use this public facility to present the merits of killing an unborn baby as a "viable" means of birth control." If someone is offended, no problem...

I can designate a school day as "Earth Day" and involve students in activities to worship religiously and praise the goddess, "Mother Earth", and call it "ecology.."

I can use literature, videos and presentations in the classroom that depicts people with strong, traditional Christian convictions as "simple minded" and "ignorant" and call it "enlightenment.."

However, if anyone uses this facility to honor GOD and to ask HIM to bless this event with safety and good sportsmanship, then Federal Case Law is violated.

This appears to be inconsistent at best, and at worst, diabolical. Apparently, we are to be tolerant of everything and anyone, except GOD and HIS Commandments.

Nevertheless , as a school principal, I frequently ask staff and students to abide by rules with which they do not necessarily agree. For me to do otherwise would be inconsistent at best, and at worst, hypocritical. I suffer from that affliction enough unintentionally. I certainly do not need to add an intentional transgression.

For this reason, I shall "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's," and refrain from praying at this time.

"However, if you feel inspired to honor, praise and thank GOD and ask HIM, in the name of JESUS, to bless this event, please feel free to do so .. As far as I know, that's not against the law--yet."

One by one, the people in the stands bowed their heads, held hands with one another and began to pray.

They prayed in the stands. They prayed in the team huddles. They prayed at the concession stand and they prayed in the Announcer's Box!

The only place they didn't pray was in the Supreme Court of the United States of America - the Seat of "Justice" in the "one nation, under GOD."

Somehow, Kingston , Tennessee ,remembered what so many have forgotten. We are given the Freedom OF Religion, not the Freedom FROM Religion
Praise GOD that HIS remnant remains!

JESUS said,"If you are ashamed of ME before men, then I will be ashamed of you before MY FATHER.."

If you are
not ashamed,
pass this on

I'm not one bit ashamed
to pass this on, are
you?

</BAD>

THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GETS! GOD BLESS EVERYONE WHO READS THIS AND PASSES IT ON.

Please disregard the content of this message. It is standard Christian glurge; there is nothing interesting about the message itself. What makes me present this is the truly disastrous formatting.

Firstly, because I love you, the Something Awful goons, I have omitted about twenty (20) lines of pointless whitespace. Furthermore, I have trimmed 5 messages from Avast! Antivirus declaring the email virus-free. I also spent some time removing the newlines that swamp the poorly-formatted document. The formatting, by the way, has been preserved to the best of my abilities. However, due to the blessed limitations of the forums software, I have been unable to present it in its proper matter. Thus, please take note of the following.

That which precedes the subject line is my blessed grandmother's comment on the story. Below, however, provides a startling change. All below the subject line is bolded, as I have preserved. However, it is also in a large font, making each letter difficult to read. Now, take careful note of the BAD tags that I have provided, because between these tags the formatting grows dramatically more annoying.

The BAD tags are centered, randomly colored, and peppered with inexplicable breaks in formatting and inexplicable punctuation errors.

That is all.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

tinkerttoy posted:

Please disregard the content of this message. It is standard Christian glurge; there is nothing interesting about the message itself. What makes me present this is the truly disastrous formatting.

Firstly, because I love you, the Something Awful goons, I have omitted about twenty (20) lines of pointless whitespace. Furthermore, I have trimmed 5 messages from Avast! Antivirus declaring the email virus-free. I also spent some time removing the newlines that swamp the poorly-formatted document. The formatting, by the way, has been preserved to the best of my abilities. However, due to the blessed limitations of the forums software, I have been unable to present it in its proper matter. Thus, please take note of the following.

That which precedes the subject line is my blessed grandmother's comment on the story. Below, however, provides a startling change. All below the subject line is bolded, as I have preserved. However, it is also in a large font, making each letter difficult to read. Now, take careful note of the BAD tags that I have provided, because between these tags the formatting grows dramatically more annoying.

The BAD tags are centered, randomly colored, and peppered with inexplicable breaks in formatting and inexplicable punctuation errors.

That is all.

I love how she thinks that because Snopes confirms that the described event and the speech described in the letter actually happened is the same as it confirming that Christianity is being persecuted, particularly in light of the fact that no one came in busting heads when the crowd "decided" to pray of their own volition.

"What the state can't force those heathens to participate in my religious rituals, why are you oppressing me you statists?" :catdrugs:

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Skex posted:

I love how she thinks that because Snopes confirms that the described event and the speech described in the letter actually happened is the same as it confirming that Christianity is being persecuted, particularly in light of the fact that no one came in busting heads when the crowd "decided" to pray of their own volition.

"What the state can't force those heathens to participate in my religious rituals, why are you oppressing me you statists?" :catdrugs:

Don't forget that they're so persecuted that a sitting member of Congress read that speech into the Congressional Record less than three weeks later. They are truly oppressed, these people who can have federal legislators pulling useless stunts simply to garner their favor.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Earth demonstrably exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm not really cool with the worst case scenario of 'wide-spread eugenics' but I can't imagine a solution that wouldn't flagrantly violate women's rights. At the end of the day it's still her body, her choice.

People used to use that silly 'gotcha' argument on me long ago since I'm pro-choice and pro-LBGT, 'What if parents could find out the sexuality of the child and abort it?' Well, I guess I'd think they're lovely parents making a lovely choice but I'm not about to step in and legally prevent an abortion just because I don't like the circumstances surrounding it.

The problems that are currently being discussed in the bioethics community don't have to do with sexual orientation (there's not any meaningful evidence that sexual orientation is genetic or biologically determined, and as you say, such discussions tend to be traps). The present concern is largely over sex-selective abortion, although evidence of such practices is debated. There are also issues regarding other genetic conditions and statistical associations between genotype and phenotype.

The primary problem is that selective prenatal screening practices, like a lot of services in the area, go almost completely unregulated and un-monitored, so the bioethics community is going to be playing catchup. Perhaps thankfully, genetic testing so far has proven to be way, way more complicated than researchers had initially anticipated, so we likely have a few years before such eugenic practices become common.

The debate over this isn't pro-choice concern trolling- the issue isn't about the abortion, it's about social, and potentially structural and legal, discrimination toward the class of individuals who are subject to abortion.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 10, 2014