Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I like how "Stephen Collins is well liked by everybody!" means he can't possibly be a pedophile.

There was a reply line about a mile long of people saying "Those kids he molested probably don't like him". Honestly the only thing missing from her twitter account is some kind of confirmation that she reads replies, like Hannity. This is your weekly reminder that Sean Hannity apparently reads twitter replies personally so if you have an account you should really be taking the piss out of him anytime you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

TMZ does investigative journalism? I thought it was just a lovely tabloid.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Tab8715 posted:

TMZ does investigative journalism? I thought it was just a lovely tabloid.

They're the same as Vice and Buzzfeed. You can find a diamond occasionally but usually you have to dig through a lot of poo poo first.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Some Matt Walsh chiming on The Blaze in with his thoughts on assisted suicide.

Thankfully, when this popped up on Facebook it was from my college friends tearing it apart. :unsmith:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

xergm posted:

Some Matt Walsh chiming on The Blaze in with his thoughts on assisted suicide.

Thankfully, when this popped up on Facebook it was from my college friends tearing it apart. :unsmith:

quote:

If you are saying that it is dignified and brave for a cancer patient to kill themselves, what are you saying about cancer patients who don’t? What about a woman who fights to the end, survives for as long as she can, and withers away slowly, in agony, until her very last breath escapes her lungs?

Is that person not brave? Is that person not dignified? I thought we applaud that kind of person. I thought we admire her courage and tenacity. Sorry, you can’t advance two contradictory narratives at once. If fighting cancer is brave then it is brave PRECISELY BECAUSE she is fighting it rather than giving up and choosing death.

You can only be brave about one thing at a time! Infantry soldier in Iraq? Brave! Mechanic in Iraq? loving SCUM-SUCKING COWARD

E: Oooh, oooh, this one too:

quote:

After all, euthanasia happens not when the individual decides that her life has no value, but when the medical and governmental authorities decide it.

Its not like he's dropping this into the middle of an article about a woman who made a personal choice of her own volition or anything. Nope, her drat doctors must be forcing her to move to Oregon and kill herself while surrounded by her friends and family!

I could probably go paragraph by paragraph but it really just boils to Matt Walsh being an insufferable fuckhead.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 9, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

Sorry, you can’t advance two contradictory narratives at once

- A Republican

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

1stGear posted:

You can only be brave about one thing at a time! Infantry soldier in Iraq? Brave! Mechanic in Iraq? loving SCUM-SUCKING COWARD

E: Oooh, oooh, this one too:

Its not like he's dropping this into the middle of an article about a woman who made a personal choice of her own volition or anything. Nope, her drat doctors must be forcing her to move to Oregon and kill herself while surrounded by her friends and family!

I could probably go paragraph by paragraph but it really just boils to Matt Walsh being an insufferable fuckhead.
:bahgawd: it's all Obama's fault. His death panels have hypnotized her while the doctors gave her cancer

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Never mind the straw-man argument that dignity isn't subjective.

When the odds are that you won't live past a year and that year will be immense suffering and pain like you'd never believe, I'd sure find dignity in wishing farewell and spending the last moments in happiness with my family.

Others find dignity in fighting with every last ounce of strength, knowing they did all they could.

It's almost like everyone is different. His end argument ends up being, "cancer isn't supposed to be easy, suffer like everyone else!"

Edit:

Matt Walsh posted:

Inevitably, that’s what this conversation comes down to. The old questions. The oldest questions. What is life? Why are we here? What’s the point of it all?

If you celebrate suicide, then you have answered these questions: life is nothingness, we are here for no reasons, and there is no point.

You know, if you're convinced that a god is there and will welcome you into his loving arms when cancer finally takes you, that's nice, but I would certainly call it brave if you don't believe in those things, believe there won't be any afterlife, and still choose to go through. You're venturing into the most unknown there is.

xergm fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 9, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The idea that other people's suffering is noble is at the core of American conservatism.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
People who believe that all morality and meaning in life is derived from religion kind of terrify/sadden me a bit. Like, dang, dude, maybe love your wife for reasons other than God told you to.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

The idea that other people's suffering is noble is at the core of American conservatism.

Well of course. If I keep toiling away for [insert authority figure], I just might catch a lick of that nobility. Just maybe.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I haven't been a politics junkie since 2003 but I remember matt Walsh being some sort of libertarian. What the hell?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The SituAsian posted:

I haven't been a politics junkie since 2003 but I remember matt Walsh being some sort of libertarian. What the hell?

A lot of people who are right wing in the US but call themselves something other than Republican only do so for marketing reasons.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fox News is currently trying to tie Ebola to Illegal Immigration, and try to spread more fear about that.

I'm starting to wonder if during the Zombie Apoclypse would Fox News would start having people on the air bitch about how "The Gays", and "Liberals" were causing all of this somehow.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 9, 2014

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm pretty sure we all know the answer to that.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
24 hour "has anyone seen zombie Reagan yet?" coverage

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

24 hour "has anyone seen zombie Reagan yet?" coverage

Sean Hannity interviewing Phil Robertson about how faith and family can stand down the Zombie Apoclypse.

Some idiot like David Vitter or Michelle Bachmann stomping their feet and trying to block funding for funds to help fight the zombies. (this actually just happened now).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Fox News is currently trying to tie Ebola to Illegal Immigration, and try to spread more fear about that.

I'm starting to wonder if during the Zombie Apoclypse would Fox News would start having people on the air bitch about how "The Gays", and "Liberals" were causing all of this somehow.

Mexicans and Central Americans are well known for traveling through Western African before crossing into the United States.

Orange Devil posted:

A lot of people who are right wing in the US but call themselves something other than Republican only do so for marketing reasons.

Economically libertarian, socially conservative = libertarian

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Economically libertarian, socially conservative = libertarian

Or they were raised by people who were straight up racists and want to distance themselves from the bad word racism but not all of the benefits derived from institutionalized racism.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ned posted:

Or they were raised by people who were straight up racists and want to distance themselves from the bad word racism but not all of the benefits derived from institutionalized racism.

Not really, in my experience. The typical right-libertarian has absolutely no problems with racism/sexism and is in fact just as likely to be a scientific racist/ "race realist" or an MRA as to be cognizantly opposed to those things. The libertarian identity is 100% honestly a rebranding effort to draw in conspiracy theorists and young people to the conservative mainstream by offering to legalize pot and end surveillance of white people. There is nothing more to it. The mainstream conservative persona plays to poor white people, the libertarian persona to upper middle class white people

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 9, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

icantfindaname posted:

Not really, in my experience. The typical right-libertarian has absolutely no problems with racism/sexism and is in fact just as likely to be a scientific racist/ "race realist" or an MRA as to be cognizantly opposed to those things. The libertarian identity is 100% honestly a rebranding effort to draw in conspiracy theorists and young people to the conservative mainstream by offering to legalize pot and end surveillance of white people. There is nothing more to it. The mainstream conservative persona plays to poor white people, the libertarian persona to upper middle class white people
Yeah, it's just a way to avoid being tarred with all the real-world baggage that identifying as a Conservative or Republican comes with. That awful NYT article a couple weeks ago about the alleged rise of a libertarian new generation had a great example: MTV's Kennedy said that around 2006 she decided that George W. Bush had made a mess of things and that she wasn't really a Republican any more, so she shifted to become more of a libertarian. See how that works? She didn't change a single belief, she just ditched the damaged brand that was the Bush administration and kept on trucking, except as a "young, hip libertarian" instead of a "young, hip Republican". Katrina? Iraq morass? Financial meltdown? Don't blame me, man - I'm a libertarian.

Naturally, their critics are all faceless hordes of lockstep statists.

See also: "classical liberal" or "fiscal conservative but social liberal" where they agree that racism and sexism and homophobia is bad but disagree with affirmative action or hate-crimes legislation - lots of tap dancing on behalf of doing nothing and maintaining the status quo, which by total coincidence benefits them greatly!

In the end, they all just vote straight-ticket GOP like they always do.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

Vice and a number of Gawker properties are also pretty good. As is Cracked.

Let that sink in.

Al Jazeera is the best news source.

Let that sink in

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Matt Walsh

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ned posted:

That depends on the libertarian, really. Some of them don't give a poo poo about race but are all FYGM. In that case their attitude is "well, it isn't my problem, now is it?" It isn't that they actually hate other races some of them just have a callous disregard for everybody that isn't themselves. Others are Free Market True Believers that genuinely believe that if we cut social services, end all welfare, and deregulate everything the economy will improve which will benefit poor minorities and the increased opportunity for them will allow them to help themselves.

The first group are generally selfish assholes. The latter group are generally idiots.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Axetrain posted:

The old testament is really loving stupid. It's no wonder that when bringing up all the condoned rape, incest, slavery and murder that goes on in it conservative protestants never respond to it.

God wrote the King James English translation of The Bible for all people and all time. You like 'Game of Thrones', don't you?

Well the first part of the Good Book has all that sword and sandal adventure.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Wait why would Nancy Grace defend a confessed child molester? Isn't she like constantly proclaiming people on trial to be monsters that should be put to death?

From my perspective of being raised in wingnut world, I'll try to shed some light on why I think this is. Remember how saddened you were when you found out Robin Williams died? He had been a part of your childhood, a man who connected with you on a deep level. For evangelicals its kind of like what Robin Williams suicide was in terms of the emotional blow, but actually much worse. 7th Heaven was, and in some ways still is, kind of a big deal to evangelicals. It was something they could point to as evidence that they were turning the tide around in the culture wars. It was a good wholesome family show that thrived despite evil liberal hollywood despising family values. I can remember families where the only regular TV show the kids were allowed to watch was 7th heaven. Church's would organize youth events around it, I remember youth sermons designed around whatever had happened in that weeks episode. For some in the evangelical world, the fictional pastor might as well have been a real one, as far as their emotional attachment was concerned.

And now in one zip that is all ripped away forever. 7th Heaven has been pulled and will probably never see the light of day again. One of the last sources of mental refuge they had that family values might someday be mainstream again. All that is gone now and anything even tangentially related to this man is forever poison. They can't point to it anymore, watch it with their kids, pass it on, nothing. Its dead forever. For people who believe in liberal conspiracies, this must surely be one. I mean look at how perfectly this just ruined a pure, good, wholesome thing. Do you really think that happened all by chance? So like the Mother in Donnie Darko they find that some form of denial or deflection is easier to live with than face the awful truth.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 10, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That depends on the libertarian, really. Some of them don't give a poo poo about race but are all FYGM. In that case their attitude is "well, it isn't my problem, now is it?" It isn't that they actually hate other races some of them just have a callous disregard for everybody that isn't themselves. Others are Free Market True Believers that genuinely believe that if we cut social services, end all welfare, and deregulate everything the economy will improve which will benefit poor minorities and the increased opportunity for them will allow them to help themselves.

The first group are generally selfish assholes. The latter group are generally idiots.

Yeah but I would argue even the latter group was drawn to that ideology by appeals to fundamental mistrust and fear of people different than them. Generally the true believer Austrians are motivated much more by a seething hatred of Statism/Liberalism than by positive belief in anything. They're sold the package ideology as the only way to stop the demise of civilization at the hands of the Other. Subconsciously it's still about bigotry.

I grew up around lots of these people, I went to an upper middle class suburban private high school run by families who were friends with the people who founded the Heritage Foundation. We had to take Economics my Junior year, and while they still taught to the AP test they stuffed in as much Austrian stuff as they could, you got extra credit for doing book reports on Murray Rothbard and Robert Nozick. I can't speak directly for everyone, but for them it was absolutely bigotry behind it all and sad to say the primarily upper/middle class WASP student body mostly ate that poo poo up. This was in one of the most Republican counties in the country, BTW.

So that's what rich white libertarians think like. I would describe the poorer, college age stoner libertarianism as more of a more palatable gateway to fascism and its classic young, angry, unemployed men voter base

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 10, 2014

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah but I would argue even the latter group was drawn to that ideology by appeals to fundamental mistrust and fear of people different than them. Generally the true believer Austrians are motivated much more by a seething hatred of Statism/Liberalism than by positive belief in anything. They're sold the package ideology as the only way to stop the demise of civilization at the hands of the Other. Subconsciously it's still about bigotry.

I grew up around lots of these people, I went to an upper middle class suburban private high school run by families who were friends with the people who founded the Heritage Foundation. We had to take Economics my Junior year, and while they still taught to the AP test they stuffed in as much Austrian stuff as they could, you got extra credit for doing book reports on Murray Rothbard and Robert Nozick. I can't speak directly for everyone, but for them it was absolutely bigotry behind it all and sad to say the primarily upper/middle class WASP student body mostly ate that poo poo up. This was in one of the most Republican counties in the country, BTW

Yeah I'm still a registered libertarian and go to events sometimes. Some of them are just genuinely, truly idiots. Some of them believe those things because they actually want to help poor minorities and feel bad about the class difference while failing to realize that the policies they support would just make it worse. Like I said, some of them just really are that goddamned stupid.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

The SituAsian posted:

You might be confusing him with Matt Welch?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm actually not all that embarrassed by these things, this is the baby steps of true internet age IJ. Traditional outlets are exactly as craven and heartless they just aren't as skilled and nimble as TMZ and the like and are better at compartmentalizing their nasty bits.
I'm not embarrassed by TMZ, I'm embarrassed that celebrity gossip is handled more vigorously than anything of actual importance. If Harvey Levine tackled politics a lot of politicians would be up poo poo creek. Not to say his talent is being wasted, he does what he does.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There was a reply line about a mile long of people saying "Those kids he molested probably don't like him". Honestly the only thing missing from her twitter account is some kind of confirmation that she reads replies, like Hannity. This is your weekly reminder that Sean Hannity apparently reads twitter replies personally so if you have an account you should really be taking the piss out of him anytime you can.

Sean Hannity is the absolute worst and I hate him and his smug loving face. He sucks poop and makes me angry. That is all.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Prester John posted:

And now in one zip that is all ripped away forever. 7th Heaven has been pulled and will probably never see the light of day again. One of the last sources of mental refuge they had that family values might someday be mainstream again. All that is gone now and anything even tangentially related to this man is forever poison. They can't point to it anymore, watch it with their kids, pass it on, nothing. Its dead forever. For people who believe in liberal conspiracies, this must surely be one. I mean look at how perfectly this just ruined a pure, good, wholesome thing. Do you really think that happened all by chance?

While I'm speaking mostly from ignorance, never having watched a whole episode and only seeing snippets at relatives' houses: the one scene I remember was the pastor dad getting an electronic car and explaining to his surprised family how it's important to be responsible stewards of the earth.

Was the show really full of right-wing junk, or was it just a case of religiosity getting a major media pop-culture spotlight and clingy fans?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

sweart gliwere posted:

Was the show really full of right-wing junk, or was it just a case of religiosity getting a major media pop-culture spotlight and clingy fans?

Pretty much the latter.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

sweart gliwere posted:

It wasn't super right wing, it was religious feel good glurge. Pastor Dad was the protagonist of every religious email forward, his good girl prodigy daughter decided to become a pastor at the end of the series, the young kids kept to themselves and only made a peep when it was time to say something cutesy, and all problems were solved through faith and love.

It was the fictional America that evangelicals are convinced was real and existed when they were kids.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Propublica and Frontline are two current sources of very good investigative journalism.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
The numbers scrawled on bathroom walls are the best source for no strings attached mfm hot bareback action.

Let that sink in

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
I watched 7th Heaven because I had a mad crush on Beverley Mitchell

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

swampland posted:

The numbers scrawled on bathroom walls are the best source for no strings attached mfm hot bareback action.

Let that sink in

I've had to look up a lot of abbreviations this week.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

I'm reminded of Andre from The League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Al Jazeera is the best news source.

Let that sink in

I've convinced a friend who is quite a bit to the right of me that AJE is worth subscribing to after I showed that it was the only news source covering some Pro-life rally (other than sites that are devoted to christian issues)