Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Choco1980 posted:

I don't get how keeping your ice cream in a ziplock bag is supposed to keep it soft.

Robzor McFabulous posted:

From a couple of pages back, but this actually does work. Kept a tub of ice cream in a plastic grocery bag in our freezer for a couple of days, was soft enough to scoop easily.

You can just put cling film over the ice cream before you lid it and put it back in the freezer. It keeps my Haagen-Dasz spoonable and that stuff usually freezes rock solid.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 01:04 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
The Ice cream thing is probably water vapor freezing into ice more than it is keeping it warmer, to be honest.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
The softness/hardness of ice cream has to do with the size of the ice crystals that form. Bigger ice crystals = harder ice cream (generally). This is why making ice cream involves a lot of stirring; to try to break up the ice crystals as they form. As the ice crystals form, the non-water components of the ice cream (sugar, milkfat, etc.) becomes more and more concentrated. The more concentrated these components are, the lower the freezing point of the remaining water. Generally, this means that ice cream is a mixture of ice crystals and liquid concentrated sugar/milk. This holds true until you get to much lower temperature than your freezer can maintain.

What causes ice cream to harden over time is that your freezer does not stay at constant temperature. Your freezer heats up a few degrees whenever you open it, and even when you keep the door closed, the compressor spends some time off and some time on, leading to natural temperature fluctuation. The problem is that when the temperature is going up, some of the ice melts, and when the temperature goes down, the water freezes. During the re-freezing, ice crystals can freeze together, resulting in bigger ice crystals, and therefore harder ice.

The plastic bag helps this in two ways. First, as has been debated here, is insulation. Not in the sense that it keeps the ice cream warm, but in that it keeps the ice cream temperature steadier, leading to less severe re-freezing. A second way it could help is by blocking humidity. Since the liquid component of ice cream is this highly concentrated mixture, its equilibrium partial pressure of water is going to be lower than even that of your freezer. Your ice cream will pull water into it, which again freezes, fusing ice crystals.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

pik_d posted:

I cannot find any set of numbers that it doesn't work for, but as cowboythreespeech said, it becomes increasingly less easy to do in my head.

Also your formula pretty much proves it works for any number.
Yes, I meant "functional" in the sense of "this is actually a shortcut compared to the normal way of doing things." The math is always valid, but it's only really simpler if xy < 100, since it gives you two cleanly-separated two-digit math problems.

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Oct 7, 2014

Pistoph
Jul 4, 2014

Really stupid lifehack with bonus lovely proof of concept.

Buh
May 17, 2008
I tried the one hand T shirt thing and it is rendered utterly and completely useless by a) my glasses and b) shirts that fit properly. I can't get an elbow and hand in at the time time without feeling like it's going to tear open.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Pistoph posted:

I guess if you have two hours to kill and don't have moral qualms about lying to and manipulating strangers to get get free goods and services, then this is a good way to get awful food for free a small portion of the time. #lifehax

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Pistoph posted:

I think in the time that this took, you'd be able to find enough money to get a dessert by looking around the Chili's parking lot, plus you wouldn't be a terrible person for taking advantage of people! #lifehackhacked

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Pistoph posted:

Sick of spending two hours waiting for a pretend-person to never show up so that you can get a free, lovely meal out of emotional manipulation of total strangers? Lead a more productive live! You can earn that meal in less time than it would take to perform your lovely act, so in the end it all evens out! You can even do this multiple times at the same restaurant! #Lifehack

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
Make enough money that your time is more valuable so you'd never waste 2 hours to scam 1 hours' pay worth of free food #Lifehax

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pistoph posted:

If you are pathetic already, why not get a free meal out of it!

ScratchAndSniff
Sep 28, 2008

This game stinks

Pistoph posted:

Wrong thread. This looks like poo poo that didn't happen. Pretty funny, though.

I look forward to hearing about people who try this and get nothing for their effort since most waiters don't give a poo poo about some random schmuck wasting valuable seating for that long.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Pistoph posted:

Finally got that splinter out of my hand, time to tell everyone who's interested in darkroom photo processing! #silverdevelopment

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

walrusman posted:

I guess if you have two hours to kill and don't have moral qualms about lying to and manipulating strangers to get get free goods and services, then this is a good way to get awful food for free a small portion of the time. #lifehax

The black family across from me noticed me taking pictures of the empty glasses and told it "it's ok I'm sure the likes will come"

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

Buh posted:

I tried the one hand T shirt thing and it is rendered utterly and completely useless by a) my glasses and b) shirts that fit properly. I can't get an elbow and hand in at the time time without feeling like it's going to tear open.
See, that method is way shittier than the one that i use, which i probably picked up as a "lifehack" at some point. Just reach across your torso to the bottom hem opposite the mobile arm, and just keep your other arm up/over your head and pull the shirt up over your head and then down. Probably wont work if you have glasses still, so just don't be such a flawed human being i guess.

Lifehack! Be born with perfect vision so that you don't need glasses and you can take your shirt off however you drat please.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Bodanarko posted:

See, that method is way shittier than the one that i use, which i probably picked up as a "lifehack" at some point. Just reach across your torso to the bottom hem opposite the mobile arm, and just keep your other arm up/over your head and pull the shirt up over your head and then down. Probably wont work if you have glasses still, so just don't be such a flawed human being i guess.

Lifehack! Be born with perfect vision so that you don't need glasses and you can take your shirt off however you drat please.
I used to do it that way too. Then I tried it once after a couple of chest piercings aaaaaand that's never happening again.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
lifehack: Remove your shirt like a normal loving person what the gently caress is wrong with you?

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Lifehack: get a six pack and stop wearing shirts.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wooper posted:

Lifehack: get a six pack and stop wearing shirts.

Life Jack3d!

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wisecrack: tell them you have a whole keg and you won't have to work out

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Pistoph posted:

I wouldn't call it a free meal if you basically had to act your way through it. That's not free, you just got paid for your performance is all. People don't seem to get that if you put a whole buncha time and effort into doing something, it's working for it; just because actual cash money didn't change hands doesn't mean you got it 'for free'. Dude just worked hours for like a $20 meal. Good job at way undervaluing your time I guess.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
No but it was really funny!! He was sitting there talking to himself and tweeting and everyone thought he was pathetic, but he wasn't really.

He wasn't really.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I wouldn't call it a free meal if you basically had to act your way through it. That's not free, you just got paid for your performance is all. People don't seem to get that if you put a whole buncha time and effort into doing something, it's working for it; just because actual cash money didn't change hands doesn't mean you got it 'for free'. Dude just worked hours for like a $20 meal. Good job at way undervaluing your time I guess.
Well, he should be thankful for the experience and exposure.

whoda thunkit
Sep 20, 2010

Pistoph posted:

As a waiter, I'm more likely to be pissed that I had a 1-top take up my table for two hours waiting for his imaginary girlfriend than sympathetic. There's no loving way he'd get anything for free even if it's his loving birthday. Which reminds me, why not just pretend its your birthday if you really want a free desert, its not like I give a gently caress. And you can do it with friends.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

cobalt impurity posted:

lifehack: Remove your shirt like a normal loving person what the gently caress is wrong with you?

lifehack: have absolutely no sense of humor. you will feel superior at all times to those that are amused by simple things.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Hungry? Eat cheap poo poo!

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/10/dealhacker-the-kfc-popcorn-chicken-box-is-5-of-fatty-goodness/

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Holy gently caress, 2300 cals for lunch?? Good job life hacking your life expectancy I guess!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's more than I need in a whole day.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Samopsa posted:

Holy gently caress, 2300 cals for lunch?? Good job life hacking your life expectancy I guess!

The article lists kilojoules, so it's actually about 700 calories.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Goddam, fast food marketing has gotten weird. Advertising your food as low quality (i.e., cheap) and gross on a small scale would kill your business, but it seems to be the new wave for huge American chains.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The $5 late night box at Jack in the Box owns tho.

Also fast food tends to try to appeal to the poor in America by giving the most food (no matter how bad for you) for the cheapest price.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Goosed it. posted:

The article lists kilojoules, so it's actually about 700 calories.

Still pretty terrible considering the only food item not deep fried is covered in gravy.

Also if that was being sold in the US it would include a 32 or 44 oz fountain drink instead of a 12 oz can, and they'd probably toss in a 200 calorie biscuit just for good measure.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Oct 8, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Samopsa posted:

Dying from a heart attack at 40 is a life hack because you'll never have to save for retirement!

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Samopsa posted:

*kilojoules

Or about 670 Calories.

edit: beaten raw.

FaradayCage has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Oct 8, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

I have to imagine that someone in KFCs marketing department wrote this

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Grey Fox posted:

Goddam, fast food marketing has gotten weird. Advertising your food as low quality (i.e., cheap) and gross on a small scale would kill your business, but it seems to be the new wave for huge American chains.
Really. Advertising food as being inexpensive? What the hell is this country coming to?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Really. Advertising food as being inexpensive? What the hell is this country coming to?
Also this article is from Australia.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
#lifehack read the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
life hack ack ack ack ack ack ack