Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

qutius posted:

What about this one?

http://smile.amazon.com/Highwin-P1001-8-Doublewall-Stainless-Plunger/dp/B005FEF1DM

Or check out some of the other stainless steel french presses too.

Oh thats pretty much what I had in mind thank you! Appreciate the help from both of you two :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Corla Plankun posted:

It is fine to use a keurig like it is fine to wear pajamas all day, but I don't post about my pajamas in the fashion thread and I wish people would stop posting about their keurigs in this one.

I feel the same way about the endless espresso talk. I get over it.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Start a keurig thread

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Google Butt posted:

Start a keurig thread

Why? It comes up every three or four pages and is quickly dealt with. It is coffee.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I feel the same way about the endless espresso talk. I get over it.

You are really bad at analogies

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 9, 2014

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is Sweet Maria's site broken or am I dumb? I can't log in, it just redirects back to the login page. I don't think I am misremembering my password, but I tried the "forgot password" link anyway. It also goes back to the login page, and I didn't get an email or any kind of indication it worked. I ran into this problem yesterday and figured I would just wait until today and hopefully it would have been fixed. I've tried with a couple different browsers.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
No problem logging in here.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Bob_McBob posted:

No problem logging in here.

Thanks for taking a look, I sent SM an email about it.

e: apparently my account disappeared from their system, all fixed now

taqueso fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

TheJeffers posted:

Starbucks' "blonde roast" starts somewhere around everybody else's Full City+, and it only gets darker from there.

A huge element of the trademark Starbucks experience is the fact that you can, in theory, walk into any Starbucks location and have the same cup of coffee that you could get at any other Starbucks. The way that Starbucks accomplishes that consistency is by using super-dark roasts and brewing stale coffee, as far as I can tell. Most Starbucks customers seem to load up on the cream, sugar, or other extras, which masks the worst of it. I've never been able to tolerate Starbucks brewed coffee, since I drink it black.

The Keurig probably doesn't help.

One of my friends made the observation that Starbucks stores are basically caffeinated milkshake shops. He's not wrong.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

o muerte posted:

One of my friends made the observation that Starbucks stores are basically caffeinated milkshake shops. He's not wrong.

Starbucks sells sugar and lifestyle, and they are very good at it.

I used some Costco whole beans and made Tonx cold brew iced coffee in a to go cup for my lady friend and she texted me later super mad that she's spent so much money on Starbucks and Dunkin over the years.

I have had better success switching people over with cold brew (also selling them on the Tonx method for ease of use) than showing them the ridiculous methods for pour over or espresso, though.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Starbucks sells sugar and lifestyle, and they are very good at it.

I used some Costco whole beans and made Tonx cold brew iced coffee in a to go cup for my lady friend and she texted me later super mad that she's spent so much money on Starbucks and Dunkin over the years.

I have had better success switching people over with cold brew (also selling them on the Tonx method for ease of use) than showing them the ridiculous methods for pour over or espresso, though.

What's the tonx method? Also as a brand they're gone; bought by blue bottle.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey Coffee thread!

I'm currently traveling through Europe and I was given a small Moka Pot a few weeks ago which I have kept with me (I'm not sure what it says about me that a Moka Pot has higher priority in my backpack than more practical things but there you go), so it has become my go-to method for coffee in the mornings. Unfortunately I've never really used them since I used a CCD back in the US, so I'm trying to figure out the best method for brewing with it. Does anyone have tips for making decent coffee with a Moka Pot, like what grind I should be getting (I know, pre-ground is anathema to quality coffee, but I'm on the road), and how much to use/heat settings and what not?

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

MasterControl posted:

What's the tonx method? Also as a brand they're gone; bought by blue bottle.

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/cold-brew I believe

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Naw, this is the one I do

https://medium.com/@tonx/tonxs-fuss-proof-cold-brew-coffee-guide-81f3d05dab24

I do 15 tbsp of beans in three 5 tbsp coarse ground batches in a Mr. Coffee blade grinder, standard Bodum 32 oz brazil. I do three five second pulses per each batch of beans in the grinder, as a starting out point. I throw the coffee in the french press, fill it with water from the dish rinsing attachment which stirs it for me and let sit for 24 hours in the fridge. Press out, serve over ice with a splash of water.

It's ungodly cheap and easy to do and the coffee is really, really good. It's just too drat convenient and good, even with Kirkland beans.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

So I'm getting kind of tired of the Behmor's safety features cutting the heat to my roasts right in the middle of first crack. Can someone recommend a smallish commercial style roaster that separates the roasting chamber from the cooling tray and can do ~1lb at a go?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

o muerte posted:

So I'm getting kind of tired of the Behmor's safety features cutting the heat to my roasts right in the middle of first crack. Can someone recommend a smallish commercial style roaster that separates the roasting chamber from the cooling tray and can do ~1lb at a go?

Go find the old panel. Or an old behmor and get the panel off of it. It doesn't have this 'feature'. I have a comment in this thread a couple of pages ago that basically says the 1600+ is horrible because of this, I have wrecked 3-4lbs of coffee in the last few months, took all the joy out of roasting for me :(

Also, from what I found there is really nothing in this price point, or even 2-3x that is better (HotTop is probably better, but $900+)

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Seems old Behmor 1600's (non-plus) are still somewhat readily available online. Doesn't have a separate cooling tray but if you want I guess you could just have two Behmor's: one for roasting and one for cooling :v:

Then again, if you're gonna do that, you could probably just rig up the shopvac system that someone in this thread mentioned a while ago. If I remember correctly it was basically a cardboard box with a big hole for a colander and a small hole for the shopvac. Put the beans in the colander, turn on the shop vac, done.

E: also, what's the upper bound on HG/DB roasting capacity? I tried roasting way more than I normally do yesterday (didn't weight it because I forgot to bring my scale back home, but when roasted it completely filled the 8 oz hopper on my grinder), and it started out really unevenly and took a lot longer than normal (almost 20 minutes!) Do I simply need to upgrade my HG?

Oh, and, before you ask: I scaled up the roasting vessel accordingly with the increased bean volume to aim for the same bed thickness.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 13, 2014

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey coffee thread, I looked at the past few pages and didn't see anything germane to an everyday drip machine.

I'm bad at coffee and I want to be able to make a respectable cup (or few) from the comforts of my home. I think I was looking at the Zojirushi EC-BD15BA Carafe a few years ago, but reading the Amazon reviews, I'm not sure if it's the best bet. I'd like to find a solid machine in the $100ish range.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

MrEnigma posted:

Go find the old panel. Or an old behmor and get the panel off of it. It doesn't have this 'feature'. I have a comment in this thread a couple of pages ago that basically says the 1600+ is horrible because of this, I have wrecked 3-4lbs of coffee in the last few months, took all the joy out of roasting for me :(

Also, from what I found there is really nothing in this price point, or even 2-3x that is better (HotTop is probably better, but $900+)

Here's the odd thing, I already have the old panel. The machine is just under a year old and I clean it every 4-5 roast cycles (I do roughly one 1/2lb roast every 5-6 days, so cleaning happens about once a month to once every six weeks.)

Phone posted:

Hey coffee thread, I looked at the past few pages and didn't see anything germane to an everyday drip machine.

I'm bad at coffee and I want to be able to make a respectable cup (or few) from the comforts of my home. I think I was looking at the Zojirushi EC-BD15BA Carafe a few years ago, but reading the Amazon reviews, I'm not sure if it's the best bet. I'd like to find a solid machine in the $100ish range.

Spend that money on a Bonavita programmable kettle and a $4 classic mellitta pourover cone instead, the coffee will be much, much better

o muerte fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 14, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Phone posted:

By the way, (more for anyone else reading this thread than for you specifically), the OP has a pretty comprehensive writeup about different brewing methods, including drip, and I think there's some drip talk on Page 1 too.

THAT SAID, I'm gonna echo what o muerte said and highly suggest you strongly consider the electric kettle + pourover route. It is better in every single way:
  • The coffee will taste better.
  • It's cheaper—if you want to go really cheap you can just get an old electric kettle ($15), and a Mellitta filter cone ($4)
  • It's faster.
  • It's easier to clean up (clean up is as simple as picking up the cone and the grounds and filter into the trash)

E: I suppose if you really must be able to just push a button and walk away then a pourover is probably not for you, but holding a kettle at a 45 degree angle for ~30s and then walking away while it drains isn't that much more work (in my opinion), and cleanup is much simpler/faster.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 14, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
And get a grinder too. Grinder, kettle and pourover should be under a hundo

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

dik-dik posted:

By the way, (more for anyone else reading this thread than for you specifically), the OP has a pretty comprehensive writeup about different brewing methods, including drip, and I think there's some drip talk on Page 1 too.

THAT SAID, I'm gonna echo what o muerte said and highly suggest you strongly consider the electric kettle + pourover route. It is better in every single way:
  • The coffee will taste better.
  • It's cheaper—if you want to go really cheap you can just get an old electric kettle ($15), and a Mellitta filter cone ($4)
  • It's faster.
  • It's easier to clean up (clean up is as simple as picking up the cone and the grounds and filter into the trash)

E: I suppose if you really must be able to just push a button and walk away then a pourover is probably not for you, but holding a kettle at a 45 degree angle for ~30s and then walking away while it drains isn't that much more work (in my opinion), and cleanup is much simpler/faster.

I'm not functional until past noon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

Perhaps make coffee at noon then?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Phone posted:

The only added step is pouring water.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Its not really an added step because you have to fill the coffeemaker anyway. The cone is easier to pour into than any drip machine I ever saw.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
In my youth I had a fairly steady MtDew habit. Over time I managed to get on a normal sleeping schedule and wean myself off caffeine. Then a baby happened. One year in I'm drinking a (small) can of MtDew a day just to get by. I'm a grown adult with a big boy job (thought it is in IT). I would like to transition to something that will kill me less quickly.

I've never really enjoyed coffee and I'm hoping you folks have some suggestions about how to change that. There are a couple issues I have. One, I don't react well to hot drinks. Hot chocolate gets a pass, but even most soups I struggle with. Tea can get the hell out. Two, I find coffee extremely bitter. I do have hope, because I really enjoy Thai Iced Coffee. I've never been able to recreate it at home though. I would also like to avoid buying a bunch of stuff if I can. Any suggestions? Cold brew seems like a reasonable path to pursue due to the heat issue. Am I way off?

Thanks!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Geburan posted:

In my youth I had a fairly steady MtDew habit. Over time I managed to get on a normal sleeping schedule and wean myself off caffeine. Then a baby happened. One year in I'm drinking a (small) can of MtDew a day just to get by. I'm a grown adult with a big boy job (thought it is in IT). I would like to transition to something that will kill me less quickly.

I've never really enjoyed coffee and I'm hoping you folks have some suggestions about how to change that. There are a couple issues I have. One, I don't react well to hot drinks. Hot chocolate gets a pass, but even most soups I struggle with. Tea can get the hell out. Two, I find coffee extremely bitter. I do have hope, because I really enjoy Thai Iced Coffee. I've never been able to recreate it at home though. I would also like to avoid buying a bunch of stuff if I can. Any suggestions? Cold brew seems like a reasonable path to pursue due to the heat issue. Am I way off?

Thanks!

If you don't like bitter you probably don't like coffee. I'd really suggest that you try something like coke zero, because the amount of sugar you'd need to dump into coffee to make it palatable to you will likely just make it into Mt.Dew.

NOW, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Thai iced coffee is like Vietnamese iced coffee. That's simple: a very dark roast, ice, and sweetened condensed milk. It has been my experience that it gets served in a pour over in restaurants. You could also try exploring the cold brew coffee methods that get discussed every second page in this thread.

What do you dislike about tea? Have you tried many kinds? I agree that some kinds of tea can gently caress right off, but it could be that you just tried poo poo tea. You could check out the tea thread, too.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

What do you mean you don't react well to hot beverages?

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

Google Butt posted:

What do you mean you don't react well to hot beverages?

I run very warm, and my body doesn't seem to cope well with additional heat to manage. It doesn't matter how cold it is outside, unless I'm snow camping if I drink hot liquids I start to sweat. It's odd, because I don't exactly have a lot of natural insulation. My son is the same way. When we pull him out of his carseat, he is often dripping with sweat.

As for tea, I've tried Earl Grey, Darjeeling, green tea, fruity-whatever the hell with honey while sick. I can get them down, but they taste like hot dirty water. And then I start to sweat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Phone posted:

This is about as cheap as I'd go
http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800TH-Coffee-Thermal-Carafe/dp/B005YQZNO8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17TMT3AGCS278J129RNT
You need a good grinder though I'd hold out for a refurb Baratza encore or maestro plus.

A clever and a dripper with a good grinder is pretty easy though.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Geburan posted:

I run very warm, and my body doesn't seem to cope well with additional heat to manage. It doesn't matter how cold it is outside, unless I'm snow camping if I drink hot liquids I start to sweat. It's odd, because I don't exactly have a lot of natural insulation. My son is the same way. When we pull him out of his carseat, he is often dripping with sweat.
I'm the same way actually. I normally only drink hot coffee when I'm at home and comfortable. If I'm out of the house, or I need to go somewhere, I usually drink iced tea and iced coffee all day. Wakes me up and keeps me cool!

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Phone posted:

In that case you should probably go with the pourover since it's simpler to use.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Geburan posted:

Thanks!

You might want to start with a phin filter and make Vietnamese coffee. You should be able to spend very little, and with the addition of the sweetened condensed milk you can just use cheap Trung-Nguyen coffee or whatever pre-ground stuff because you're not really going to know the difference. Alternately make cold brewed concentrate and sweeten with sweetened condensed milk. Both of these methods can be done ultra cheap.

Not sure how much healthier this is than Mountain Dew, though.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You could at least use skim milk (or that thickened "I can't believe it's skim" milk) and the Torani sugar-free flavored syrups (or just liquid Splenda). It won't be that close to Vietnamese iced coffee, but it will be light and sweet, which I think is what you're really going for.

If you're currently drinking 1 can/day of Mountain Dew, then you should also do half-caff unless you actually want to increase your caffeine habit.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Every place you order Thai or Vietnamese iced coffee uses cheap pre-ground, stale junk and add a bunch of syrup or condensed milk to it. That will make anything taste good.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

nm posted:

This is about as cheap as I'd go
http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800TH-Coffee-Thermal-Carafe/dp/B005YQZNO8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=17TMT3AGCS278J129RNT
You need a good grinder though I'd hold out for a refurb Baratza encore or maestro plus.
This is the truth. The next step is up is a Technivorm. And a good grinder is important - it will keep your brew smooth.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Geburan posted:

Thanks!

This might be unrelated, but do you have allergies? I'm like King of the Allergies and its possible to be reactive to heat and hot beverages. I get incredibly sick if I have anything hot.

I drink cold brew iced coffee and it works just fine :)

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
The bonavita glass carafe is $116 on amazon right now. That is the BV1800 variant.
http://www.amazon.com/Bonavita-BV1800-8-Cup-Coffee-Carafe/dp/B005YQZT92

The BV1900 is a new model that is coming out, supposed to be a bit better, so I'd expect the prices to fall a bit when it comes out.
http://bonavitaworld.com/products/new-8-cup-coffee-brewer-stainless-steel-lined-thermal-carafe

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Anne Whateley posted:

You could at least use skim milk (or that thickened "I can't believe it's skim" milk) and the Torani sugar-free flavored syrups (or just liquid Splenda). It won't be that close to Vietnamese iced coffee, but it will be light and sweet, which I think is what you're really going for.

Please don't drink this poo poo. Learn to like real foods, your increased quality (and likely quantity) of life will thank you for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You realize he's trying to transition from a Mountain Dew habit, right? Coffee + milk + the dread chemical Splenda :supaburn: is still better than Mountain Dew.