Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Serious Frolicking posted:

But having the moon explode would free Kaguya? I don't quite understand why they'd use the moon again when 200 chapters have been about the drat moon.

The moon that has Kaguya and Black Zetsu are in some other dimension, one of like four she controlled altering its weather.

Edit: Its also out
http://readms.com/r/naruto/695/2565/1?t=2&f=0&e=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I think the Tentails' actual body is supposed to be inside the moon, so hooray we might get that fight again.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
There's one thing I'm happy about with 695, that's only really become apparent with the anime starting to catch up - those colored pages. Clear blue skies and not a weird dingy green like the rest of the war has! :neckbeard:

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Over at NarutoForums a user has uploaded a very long and detailed interview with Kishi from 2013. link here. Don't miss the 2nd and 3rd parts later in the thread.

HIGHLIGHTS:
* Naruto was originally supposed to be a cooking manga
* Neji was called Neji ("screw") for exactly the reason you figured
* The author himself knows that he completely hosed up his portrayal of the Naruto/Sasuke relationship
* As a result of trolling by Kishi's editor, Gaara is actually named after a ski resort

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

quote:

Kishimoto : The story gets to its climax and but I'm still thinking about a lot of plot twists.
God dammit, Kishi... God loving dammit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Triple Elation posted:

I don't know why, but a shounen style cooking manga with ninjas sounds like it'd be the greatest thing ever.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't know why, but a shounen style cooking manga with ninjas sounds like it'd be the greatest thing ever.

There is a filler episode where the Ichiraku Ramen's daughter is captured by cooking ninjas and is challenged to a Ramen, well, challenge and enlists Naruto, Sakura a Chouji to help.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Triple Elation posted:

Crouching Tofu Hidden Ramen

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Neji would be the big bad in one arc because of his ability to create the perfect sauces using his spin thing. It's his family's curse because it means the Hyuuga clan is always relegated to the sauce station.

And Kurama grants Naruto the power to raise the temperature of his hands to the perfect temperature to knead and proof dough.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Ten Ten might actually be overpowered in a ninja cooking manga. Unlimited utensils, pots, and pans.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Gyges posted:

Ten Ten might actually be overpowered in a ninja cooking manga. Unlimited utensils, pots, and pans.

Given kishi's stereotyping of women in this manga, the most powerful cooking ninja being a woman seems really likely

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

There is a filler episode where the Ichiraku Ramen's daughter is captured by cooking ninjas and is challenged to a Ramen, well, challenge and enlists Naruto, Sakura a Chouji to help.

Oh right. I remember that. Naruto makes ramen using the Rasengan.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Rynder posted:

Neji would be the big bad in one arc because of his ability to create the perfect sauces using his spin thing. It's his family's curse because it means the Hyuuga clan is always relegated to the sauce station.

And Kurama grants Naruto the power to raise the temperature of his hands to the perfect temperature to knead and proof dough.

That second ability is from some manga already, right?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Skychrono posted:

That second ability is from some manga already, right?

"Solar Hands" from Yakitate Japan

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gaara would be the worst in a cooking manga.

:geno: : There's sand in your main course, Gaara.
:( : Holy crap. I, I don't know how that could have happened! I-
:geno: : And, oh no. Oh no.
:( : W..what is-
:geno: : The dessert. The dessert too, Gaara.
:( : What? N-n-no, that's not possible, I-
:geno: : Here. Right here.
:( : Bu-
:geno: : God drat it Gaara. Just, god... drat it. Do you-
:( : Bu-bu-but I didn't mean to... I... I don't...
:geno: : Do you know how much I sacrificed to get this meat? Do you know how rare it is?
:( : I do, but-
:geno: : I don't know what to say, Gaara. I just don't know what to say. Just, just.. Wait, what the? Oh. Oh no.
:( : ...
:geno: : Oh no.
:geno: : You know. I can see it on your face.
:geno: : The tea.
:geno: : What's in the tea, Gaara?
:( : That's...
:geno: : What is it, Gaara?
:( : That's sand.
:geno: : Give me your apron, Gaara.
:( : No! I spent everything I have to learn how to cook! I don't have anything else! I-
:geno: : Your apron.
:( : :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This only further convinces me that Naruto should've stayed a cooking manga.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
The Uchiha clan cookbook was destroyed by Itachi one fateful night. Sasuke is one of two ninja in the world left who knows what recipes that book held and Orochimaru covets the knowledge needed to create the perfect croquembouche.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Gaara of the dessert

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Naruto goes berserk, unleashes the demon inside, cooks a nine-course meal

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Guess I've got bran problems!

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
An apron born of hatred!!!

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
Naruto eating Itachi's crow happens exactly the same.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The moon eye plan is to turn the culinary world into a big pizza pie

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So what I'm getting form this is that we could have had a Naruto that was a lot more like Toriko.

Who's the dumb motherfucker who said that wouldn't sell? Who changed his mind? Because I think this man needs a bitch-slap.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
We're pretty much describing yakitate Japan so they probably didn't want to tread om familiar territory.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel bad for the frogs though. All those giant, magic, sentient frogs summoned by Jiraiya just to cook up. His new Cajun accent is a plus though.

Of course no one will even try Tsunade's giant escargot dishes.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Bisse posted:

Gaara would be the worst in a cooking manga.

:geno: : There's sand in your main course, Gaara.
:( : Holy crap. I, I don't know how that could have happened! I-
:geno: : And, oh no. Oh no.
:( : W..what is-
:geno: : The dessert. The dessert too, Gaara.
:( : What? N-n-no, that's not possible, I-
:geno: : Here. Right here.
:( : Bu-
:geno: : God drat it Gaara. Just, god... drat it. Do you-
:( : Bu-bu-but I didn't mean to... I... I don't...
:geno: : Do you know how much I sacrificed to get this meat? Do you know how rare it is?
:( : I do, but-
:geno: : I don't know what to say, Gaara. I just don't know what to say. Just, just.. Wait, what the? Oh. Oh no.
:geno: : Oh no.
:geno: : You know. I can see it on your face.
:geno: : The tea.
:geno: : What's in the tea, Gaara?
:( : That's...
:geno: : What is it, Gaara?
:( : That's sand.
:geno: : Give me your apron, Gaara.
:( : No! I spent everything I have to learn how to cook! I don't have anything else! I-
:geno: : Your apron.
:( : :(

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

PIGEOTO posted:

Given kishi's stereotyping of women in this manga, the most powerful cooking ninja being a woman seems really likely

I'm pretty sure his inability to make a female relevant would overrule that though.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
So I guess the magical animals all over the Ninja world aren't trapped in the mysterious illusion?

Weren't Tsunade's slugs crawling around? What happened to them?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Thoren posted:

So I guess the magical animals all over the Ninja world aren't trapped in the mysterious illusion?

Weren't Tsunade's slugs crawling around? What happened to them?

Sakura's slugs :colbert:

Summonings have a time limit so she probably poofed back to slug world.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

hiddenriverninja posted:

Sakura's slugs :colbert:

Summonings have a time limit so she probably poofed back to slug world.

Don't the summoned animals actually live somewhere on the planet of Naruto? Like the frogs live on Frog mountain and apparently there's a snake place somewhere that Kabuto visited.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I bet that's where Dr. Snakes is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gyges posted:

Don't the summoned animals actually live somewhere on the planet of Naruto? Like the frogs live on Frog mountain and apparently there's a snake place somewhere that Kabuto visited.

Yeah, the slugs have a place too. Well, slug.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gyges posted:

Yeah, snakes are from the Dragon Ground Cave and slugs are from the Humid Bone Forest.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The moon eye plan is to turn the culinary world into a big pizza pie

It took me like 7 accidental readthroughs to fully appreciate this

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Triple Elation posted:

It took me like 7 accidental readthroughs to fully appreciate this

That's amore!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Professor Wayne posted:

I bet that's where Dr. Snakes is.

That is still one of the all time great Naruto translations, right up there with Cave in of Hatred™.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Dexo posted:

That is still one of the all time great Naruto translations, right up there with Cave in of Hatred™.

Here's one that touched me with its profoundness:

Edit: Wow, that's from chapter 652. Feels like it's been ages ago.

PiedPiper fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 11, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The suffering has only just begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
From what I understand, Kishi isn't going to be a direct creative force behind anything relating to this new "project". It's basically post-part-1 Filler Hell, but set in the far future, and with no end date.

If you want a picture of the future, imagine the magical princess-in-distress from the Pineapple Country stomping down her boot on a manga page -- repeatedly -- forever.

• Locked thread