Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I thought ZenBuu had already fought Alternate Tien in this round, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought ZenBuu had already fought Alternate Tien in this round, though.

Is that actually the character's name? Because if so, that's a Toriyama level Japanese pun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Is that actually the character's name? Because if so, that's a Toriyama level Japanese pun.

Nah, think it's just a fan moniker.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Just watched battle of gods for the first time. Isn't Pilaf being made a kid like the opposite to how GT starts? Pilaf and crew continue to be absolutely hilarious.

Lunch I assume died years ago in a crack house or something, hence the lack of invite.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Prison Warden posted:

Just watched battle of gods for the first time. Isn't Pilaf being made a kid like the opposite to how GT starts? Pilaf and crew continue to be absolutely hilarious.

Lunch I assume died years ago in a crack house or something, hence the lack of invite.

Didn't Launch move back into the Kame house? Like I'm pretty sure we see her in the background now and then in Yo! Son Goku and His Friends Return. She was even at the Banquet. I think she might just not like Bulma.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Prison Warden posted:

I imagine they still live off in the gag manga world of Dragon Ball and are constantly getting hosed with by wizards or something.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm pretty sure Pilaf and company being kids is a wink to GT.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
How could it be? GT never happened. :colbert:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
A lot of the dialog fits straight with DBZ abridged which goes to show how much the fan stuff really captures the comedic spirit of DragonBall. Stuff like Piccolo getting pissed he doesn't win the bingo and all of Weiss' food stuff.

I think it'd probably be a mistake for TFS to do the movie in the end, for the same reason I recall one of them saying why just Dragonball and One Piece and such don't really work with the abridged treatment. Those works already don't take themselves seriously and are full of jokes, so there's really nothing left to say. The humor in DBZA comes in a big part because it takes itself so seriously at times.

Basically Battle of Gods returns to the tone of DragonBall I like best and that makes it great.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Basically Battle of Gods returns to the tone of DragonBall I like best and that makes it great.

That's exactly my opinion of the movie, too.

As an aside, when I saw the re-animated scenes from the original Dragon Ball, it made me really want there to be a new anime adapting the whole thing. Maybe in another decade or two...

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

DBM original. He's a wizard who got a bye in round 1 and beat Vegetto by sending him to a reverse Time Chamber pocket dimension where he broke out in a few seconds but outside it had been like 2 hours.

This owns.

Going to buckle in and read the whole thing now, because of this post.

E: Holy poo poo Cell ripping off his own head to avoid Dabra's petrification attack.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 10, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Babe Magnet posted:

E: Holy poo poo Cell ripping off his own head to avoid Dabra's petrification attack.

Yeah, that was pretty loving metal.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.
Thinking on it, Videl getting hurt by a bullet is pretty odd. Goku got shot to hell with a machine gun in the first chapter and was fine, and Roshi was catching bullets when the Red Ribbon Army showed up, I guess she isn't that strong after all.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Prison Warden posted:

Thinking on it, Videl getting hurt by a bullet is pretty odd. Goku got shot to hell with a machine gun in the first chapter and was fine, and Roshi was catching bullets when the Red Ribbon Army showed up, I guess she isn't that strong after all.

That was for laughs, and Roshi is a semi-immortal martial arts master. Plus she was pregnant. She's weaker than Roshi, but come on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Re: Brackets

I hope Vegeta beats Raichi, just because U13 is like some weird opposite universe where Goku is jobber to Vegeta instead of the other way around. Some really weird poo poo is going to happen in the Ghast/Piccolo fight. I assume Ghast is going to get through.

Otherwise; Goku beats Frieza, Uub beats Majin Buu through some sort of absorption antics. Vegeta beats Kakarotto by pulling some bullshit and Cell wrecks Tapion.

XXI beats 18. Buu beats Gotenks, Bra beats Cold, Ghast beats Vegeta 13.

I imagine something goes horribly wrong before the quarters.

But should it not. Goku over Uub, Vegeta over Cell, Buu absorbs XXI, Bra over Ghast. (Because I think it works better narratively?)

Goku over Vegeta, Buu over Bra. Goku over Buu.

I am way too invested in this comic.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Prison Warden posted:

Fun trivia, when Krillin, Roshi and Goku are all still on Kame island, Lunch awakens her psychopath side and guns down everyone, but Goku is the only one seemingly immune to bullets, Superman style. Like, Krillin and Roshi don't die, but they have very clear holes that they bleed from, while Gokus skin repels the bullets.

Videl is human, so she can still be hurt by bullets. Only saiyans seem to have skin impervious to regular firearms, while the half-saiyans are a bit either or.

(I still have no idea what way I prefer to write saiyan, it's all hosed)

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Prison Warden posted:

Goku can ignore bullets but can not get a headache from a rock being thrown at him...while in SSJ.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SirDrone posted:

Goku can ignore bullets but can not get a headache from a rock being thrown at him...while in SSJ.

See guys? Krillin is strong enough to hurt a super saiyan!

kinda

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SirDrone posted:

I remember that scene specifically because I laughed at how different it was from the manga.

It doesn't even happen there and here they somehow use it to make Goku more grounded and I couldn't stop laughing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just started reading DBM. It's by far the doofiest thing I've ever read, and I love it. The thing early on when the Saiyans from the Evil Goku universe ask Vegeta how the fight on Namek against Freeza went and he just goes "We did better." owns. Vegeta owns. Smug Vegeta owns.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The only thing I wish happened with DBM is the what-if scenario I've had in my head since the first time I watched the Freeza saga: Saiyans cultivating senzu beans and having their entire race abuse the gently caress out of zenkai.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The only thing I wish happened with DBM is the what-if scenario I've had in my head since the first time I watched the Freeza saga: Saiyans cultivating senzu beans and having their entire race abuse the gently caress out of zenkai.

I thought that had a limit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Azubah posted:

I'm pretty sure it does, but if abusing it a few times on Namek allowed Vegeta to go up against Freeza for a while, if everyone did it a bunch their planet would probably be a lot less dead.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Azubah posted:

The alleged limit is when you hit Super Saiyan. Though Cell got one so zenkais are bullshit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

The alleged limit is when you hit Super Saiyan. Though Cell got one so zenkais are bullshit.

Cell is the perfect being.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Cell is the perfect being.

Perfectly dead. :smug:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I have trouble keeping all those characters straight, I sort of wish they had mandatory name tags with their universe number or something.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SirDrone posted:

Welcome to Toei logic! (As above, filler. Toei's filler destroys all of Toriyama's logic - as silly as it is, it's generally consistent)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kild posted:

Cell never went Super Saiyan until after coming back when he was Super Perfect. Presumably that was the last zenkai he'd use.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
This might be the geekiest thing I'll ever write on these forums, but maybe the zenkai boost is additive, not multiplicative, meaning the benefits become less obvious as power levels rise. Doesn't explain Cell's massive zenkai, but we've all decided that's just bullshit anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sharktamer posted:

This might be the geekiest thing I'll ever write on these forums, but maybe the zenkai boost is additive, not multiplicative, meaning the benefits become less obvious as power levels rise. Doesn't explain Cell's massive zenkai, but we've all decided that's just bullshit anyway.

It's all just kind of bullshit, but it appears to be more of an exponential scale than linear. Vegeta could fight Freeza in his first form enough to get him to transform, then after one zenkai Vegeta could at least keep up with his final form.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The zenkai boost formula is (Strength of Next Opponent - Exact Amount Needed to Make Next Fight Suitably Dramatic).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Namekian fusion is also pretty bullshit, since Piccolo went from about Raditz level to fighting second form Freeza after absorbing Nail.

Then, after absorbing Kami he was stronger than Imperfect Cell and #17.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Some Numbers posted:

Namekian fusion is also pretty bullshit, since Piccolo went from about Raditz level to fighting second form Freeza after absorbing Nail.

DBZ poo poo be crazy.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Hey now, let's not be that mean to Piccolo. He was stronger than Raditz even when he was fighting Nappa, I'm pretty sure. He might have managed Ginyu-esque strength by Freeza, assuming he was getting anything out of all that meditating/napping he did on King Kai's planet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Maybe? Going from 1200 to 120,000 can't be that easy.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Some Numbers posted:

Maybe? Going from 1200 to 120,000 can't be that easy.

Yes it can! Have you not been watching DBZ? Going up in power for the protagonists just takes time, effort, and the knowledge that there is a higher level above what they're at now. Hell, that last part even happens in Battle of Gods. Just understanding what it's like to be at God level lets Goku keep up with Bills.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

I think that was mostly Nail, I got the impression that he was stronger than any of Freeza's dudes who weren't the ginyu force.

Yet another thing I realise is great about Battle of Gods is that the vast majority of the combat is physical, beam attacks are used sparingly. Beerus even grabs one of Gohan's(?) punches with some chopsticks. Actual Kung Fu poo poo!

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
One theory I heard about Namekian fusion is it's multiplicative rather than an addition of the Power Levels, which could explain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Cell never went Super Saiyan until after coming back when he was Super Perfect. Presumably that was the last zenkai he'd use.

Correction: He never went super saiyan two till he came back.

Some Numbers posted:

piccolo is pretty good at gaining strength. Remember that he went from being only a bit stronger than frieza's second from to comparable to a super saiyan after only 3 years of training. Which kind of makes toryiama writing him out of the story bullshit.

Prison Warden posted:

Beerus even grabs one of Gohan's(?) punches with some chopsticks.

Piccolo.

• Locked thread