Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/edmonton/td-bank-client-devastated-by-17-000-mortgage-penalty-1.2790108

:qq:

Oh no we didn't think we'd be charged a penalty for breaking a mortgage term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Cultural Imperial posted:

Trusz said he expected TD Canada Trust, with whom they have banked for almost 20 years, to make an exception in their case

Banks are p. cool with making exceptions for poors, it's true

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

quote:

MacRae said the IRD is designed to ensure a bank won’t suffer when a customer decides to end a mortgage before its maturity date.

She said TD policy is to make exceptions for military personnel, or in some cases for compassionate reasons, which it evaluates on a case by case basis.

Did you miss this line CI?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blah_blah posted:

They aren't military though?

That exception is there because of military people constantly having to move, for their job, and it's well known. Sure, the bank maybe should have given it to them on the grounds of compassionate needs, but they certainly don't apply for the military exemption.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

blah_blah posted:

Yes and it makes me furious.

Here's a reddit thread for the ages.

http://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/2iok04/hi_rvancouver_i_need_help_finding_a_professional/

e: ps incinerate the CF

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Marker17501
Jul 8, 2013
A documentary from 2006 about housing (mostly suburbs) in Canada:
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/radiant-city/

Apologies if it already appeared in this thread. I don't particularly like this documentary, but it seems like a lot of people do.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

HookShot posted:

They aren't military though?

I know, but CI's opinion on military relocation perks (mainly from the government, but apparently from the banks also!) is well-established.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

blah_blah posted:

I know, but CI's opinion on military relocation perks (mainly from the government, but apparently from the banks also!) is well-established.

Ah ok, sorry, I missed that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Jumpingmanjim posted:

We have laws (theoretically) but they aren't enforced.

No wonder in a country full of crims

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So remember those condo prices I posted on the previous page? I just asked the REALTOR(r) what the units were first listed at 5 years ago. The ones that sold for 260k ish were first marketed at 400k and the ones that sold for 400k were listed around 599k. How does something like this even happen?? Nothing in the region was going for those prices per sq ft, not even in the luxury market. This was a wood frame condo in a residential area next to a cemetery and a grocery store. The company of course went bankrupt, but how did it even get off the ground with those prices? How did no one tell the developer his numbers were insane, how did he even get financing to build it??

Also this just popped up on facebook for me, a guide for condo pre-sales to ensure you aren't disapointed.
http://vibrantvictoria.ca/local-news/pre-sale-condo-buying-tips-to-save-you-money-time-and-disapointment/

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 9, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Buying a presale condo is just about the most financially insane thing I can imagine, outside of large recreational watercraft. I wouldn't buy a loving packet of sausages I couldn't see in advance, let alone a $400k glass box!

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
haha yes buying a loving boat hoooooooly shiiiiiiiit

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Here's how mayor moonbeam is going to make your pride-of-ownership dreams come true

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/gregor-robertson-unveils-vision-vancouver-affordability-plan-1.2792595

quote:

The Vision Vancouver platform includes:

Building 4,000 new rental housing units over four years
Ensuring new housing developments include at least 35 per cent family housing
Enabling the Affordable Housing Agency to use city-owned land for new housing
Creating 1,000 new child care spaces
Providing free children’s beginner swimming lessons

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

None of those sound bad, but 4,000 is a drop in the bucket.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

None of those sound bad, but 4,000 is a drop in the bucket.

Exactly. I fail to see how any of this is going to affect affordability in Vancouver, other than help his developer buddies make more money.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Behold the face of BC.

some fuckbag posted:

[L]ifelong Surreyite Obi Canuel is currently unable to drive because he has refused to remove a spaghetti colander from his head for his driver’s license photo. He does it, he claims, because he believes the world was created by an intoxicated Flying Spaghetti Monster.

“I want everyone to understand that they have a right to religious expression,” said Mr. Canuel, standing in the parking lot of his Surrey apartment complex while wearing a bent spaghetti strainer on his head.

...the 36-year-old deftly refused to break character.

This douchebag brings down the collective worth of everyone on the west coast. In his spare time he also uses hidden cameras to intentionally rile Jehovah's Witnesses and Salvation Army members over tenets of their faith, proving that he's the bigger rear end in a top hat of them all.

e. aw poo poo I got told by rime.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 9, 2014

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Cmon man you going to curry favour with JWs?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nah, their magic underwear doesn't really work anyways.

When it's rear end in a top hat vs rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat always wins.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was going to quibble that their 4000 rental units over 4 years seems unachievable, given their 3 year mandate, but I suppose that term length change is a forgone conclusion.

I will give Moonbeam and Vision some credit though, they are actually doing more for the homeless and adding rental units than any government in Vancouver that I can recall has. Which is more a statement about previous governments than a ringing endorsement of them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

No wonder in a country full of crims

China?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Surprise! Chinese people are dishonest!

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1612403/rich-chinese-immigrants-deception-costs-british-columbia-billions

quote:

Province misses out on its promised loans as rich Chinese claim they are settling elsewhere

Most of the 30,000 rich Chinese who have recently moved to British Columbia told authorities they would settle elsewhere in Canada, with the deception costing the province access to billions of dollars in loans.

An investigation by the South China Morning Post revealed the widespread illicit practice, which is demonstrated in a huge discrepancy between approval and arrival numbers of Chinese in BC under the Immigrant Investor Programme (IIP). The Post's revelations come as Ottawa prepares to unveil a wealth migration scheme to replace the federal IIP, which was axed in June.

The huge influx of rich Chinese is already a hotly debated issue in Vancouver, which has seen property prices soar.

From 2005 to 2012, a total of 29,764 rich Chinese, mostly from the mainland but also from Taiwan and Hong Kong, are known to have moved to BC under the programme, which required applicants to loan Canada C$800,000 (HK$5.54 million) per family and have minimum assets of C$1.6 million. Yet in the same period, only 13,872 certificates of permanent residency were issued to applicants from greater China who nominated BC as their intended destination.

This suggests at least 53 per cent of all Chinese known to have settled in BC under the IIP said they planned to live elsewhere. Immigration experts said this was mainly done to secure preferential treatment - for instance, by applying via Quebec's independently run IIP to bypass the queue for the now-defunct federal version of the scheme.

Because the IIP's loan funds are disbursed to the provinces according to the stated destination of migrants, the deception has cost BC access to about C$2 billion in interest-free five-year loans, the Post calculates.

Among mainland Chinese, at least 60.3 per cent of arrivals in BC practised the apparent deception. And because mainland Chinese dominated the IIP, they represented 86.8 per cent of all apparent deceivers.

The Post's data represents the first effort to publicly quantify the scale of the illicit practice.

An immigration expert in Canada, who did not wish to be named, blamed consultants in China for encouraging immigrants to practise the deception.

"Some advise the applicants to travel to Quebec, then do a nominal registration there, but then go and live wherever they want. In my experience, that happens quite often," he said.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada was given a week to scrutinise the SCMP’s calculations and did not dispute their accuracy. Asked in writing if it was previously aware of the scale of the deception, whether it was fair on BC, and whether those who practised the deception should be punished, CIC spokeswoman Nancy Caron said only: “Immigrants are expected to settle in the province to which they apply.”

Details of a new wealth-based migration scheme to replace the IIP would be unveiled “in the coming months”, Caron added.

While Canada requires immigrants to accurately state their intended destination province, this pledge is difficult to enforce. Immigrants could simply argue that they truthfully intended to move to, say, Quebec, but upon arrival in Canada immediately changed their minds and decided to live in BC.

Preventing a permanent resident from living where they choose would likely breach the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Guest2553 posted:

Behold the face of BC.

This douchebag brings down the collective worth of everyone on the west coast. In his spare time he also uses hidden cameras to intentionally rile Jehovah's Witnesses and Salvation Army members over tenets of their faith, proving that he's the bigger rear end in a top hat of them all.

Obi is a pretty hilarious and awesome guy, perhaps you should go back to Reddit and continue bringing down the collective worth of everyone on the west coast with your shitposting. :jerkbag:

(You can't be a bigger rear end in a top hat than a religious organization which denies child molestation unless witnessed by two other church members, by the way.)

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 9, 2014

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

PEI did the same drat thing, except the "business owners" didn't actually exist and it took an investigation by the loving University of Kings College to find this out. Among other things:

quote:

1. The P.E.I. government interpreted Ottawa’s immigration rules in such a way that immigrants could be considered actively involved in businesses they knew little or nothing about.

2. The program brought thousands of immigrants to Canada, mostly from China and the Middle East. But with no tangible connection to P.E.I., many immigrants either never came or moved on quickly rather than settle on the Island as Ottawa intended.

3. Organizations that would otherwise have been ineligible were able to access immigrant money by creating new corporations structured to meet the program’s rules.

4. If the program had operated as advertised, it would have pumped more than $660 million into strategic sectors of the P.E.I. economy, twice the annual value of the Island’s agricultural sector. The real amounts were far less, and more than half of the money was made by middlemen.

5. Ottawa spent several years trying to get P.E.I. to change its program to conform with federal regulations, but P.E.I. pressed ahead, leading to a fierce war of words, and Ottawa’s decision to force the shutdown of the program down in 2008.

It was a massive loving handout to the Atlantic Canadian business class. PEI should be sued for this money, because it was so blatantly obvious what was going on (hmm... rural Chinese family wants to relocate to a town 1 hr outside of Charlottetown to work for a business that works out of some guy's house...) but they just kept on keeping on.

Atlantic Canada, man. Jesus Christ.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cute that we're still allowing a little island with half the population of greater Victoria to pretend it's a province.

It is insane that the Atlantics have still not yet amalgamated into a single province.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think the better solution is to let Vancouver island be its own province too! That would be a glorious sight to behold and amazing politics to follow. I can't even imagine.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

I think the better solution is to let Vancouver island be its own province too! That would be a glorious sight to behold and amazing politics to follow. I can't even imagine.

Ha! You think VI is parochial and inwards looking now?! I can only imagine how far they'd take it as a province.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lexicon posted:

Ha! You think VI is parochial and inwards looking now?! I can only imagine how far they'd take it as a province.

At least we'd see an attempt to get a bridge built.

Haha. Just kidding. I know the technical problems in addition to economic ones.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Cute that we're still allowing a little island with half the population of greater Victoria to pretend it's a province.

It is insane that the Atlantics have still not yet amalgamated into a single province.

The typical argument used is "culture", even though:

*Nova Scotia's "Celtic" culture is a 1950s invention, isn't even true, and ignores the people who've been there much longer
*PEI is really, really tiny
*New Brunswick is a large company town

edit: I would like to clarify that there is plenty of culture and original art out here, if you know where to look - but the government out here would rather spend their money on poo poo like building a copy of the Bluenose(!). At least they don't give funds to car manufacturers and "heavy water plants" these days.

Isentropy fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The bridge would be built to saltspring, which would shortly after be destroyed by a terrorist bombing in the name of keeping saltspring wild and rugged and protect its pure and unique culture from outsiders. The fanatic bomber will turn out to be a rich transplant from Toronto who only moved there a year ago to build a 3,000 sqft "rustic cabin" and doesn't want anyone else building near him.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Virulent separatism followed by the mining of Georgia Straight.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Isentropy posted:

The typical argument used is "culture", even though:

*Nova Scotia's "Celtic" culture is a 1950s invention, isn't even true, and ignores the people who've been there much longer
*PEI is really, really tiny
*New Brunswick is a large company town

edit: I would like to clarify that there is plenty of culture and original art out here, if you know where to look - but the government out here would rather spend their money on poo poo like building a copy of the Bluenose(!). At least they don't give funds to car manufacturers and "heavy water plants" these days.

I don't even understand how 'culture' could even be an argument against amalgamation. What's harmful to culture about realizing some economies of scale by combining three replicas of the same government infrastructure?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lexicon posted:

I don't even understand how 'culture' could even be an argument against amalgamation. What's harmful to culture about realizing some economies of scale by combining three replicas of the same government infrastructure?

MLAs are very protective of their local fiefdoms and patronage systems. A Liberal premier (Dr. John Savage?) actually got ran out over ending the policy of patronage appointments that every government, including the current one, has used since at least the 50s.

edit: things like firing all the deputy ministers and replacing them with your own, appointing failed candidates and campaign managers to things like head of the efficiency and social service agencies...

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Isentropy posted:

MLAs are very protective of their local fiefdoms and patronage systems. A Liberal premier (Dr. John Savage?) actually got ran out over ending the policy of patronage appointments that every government, including the current one, has used since at least the 50s.

edit: things like firing all the deputy ministers and replacing them with your own, appointing failed candidates and campaign managers to things like head of the efficiency and social service agencies...

Oh yeah, I totally get that it is pleasant for those in power to be able to hand out sinecures and that sort of thing, and that all organizations exist to perpetuate themselves, etc, etc. I'm just saying that this does not in any way constitute an argument about preserving the culture of place-X.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's enough of an excuse to keep the status quo anyways. Amalgamation of anything is very hard unless forced. It's easy to split things, "more local representation!'. Just say the other party is going to take more than they give, or add their problems to yours, and people will fight tooth and nail against it. Look at Victoria politics and how it's divided into a bunch of stupidly tiny little cities who all resist any sort of cooperation, let alone amalgamation. The status quo works for them, they get to dump all their social ills downtown but not have to pay for any of its services or policing. People in the richer suburbs will come right out and say things like "I don't want my tax dollars going to drug addicts and street people when they could be spent on gardens and street improvements here". All you have to do is scare people saying "your votes won't matter anymore since you'll become a minority in the greater elections!" or "Your local police won't have time to respond to your 911 call about a drunk girl eating a package of chips out of your open garage and doing a full follow-up investigation since they'll be dealing with stabbings and homeless people downtown!"

If you are richer than another area, it's in your best interests to stay separate because FYGM.
If you're poorer or smaller than another area it's often in your best interest to stay separate as you are able to be over-represented politically.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Could someone familiar with Ontario housing please explain to me why our current, and most likely soon to be reelected, mayor is saying that rapidly rising housing costs in Barrie is a good thing? :psyduck:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

Could someone familiar with Ontario housing please explain to me why our current, and most likely soon to be reelected, mayor is saying that rapidly rising housing costs in Barrie is a good thing? :psyduck:

Because it means that Barrie is richer than it used to be, and that is good.

Unless you need to buy a house.
Or want to work in a non-construction industry.
Or have concerns about how much cash housing is sucking up from the economy at large.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Having more equity in your home is like getting a bigger future paycheck.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

etalian posted:

Mortgages are like payday loans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

etalian posted:

Nah bro it's a foolproof retirement plan.