Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets
what's the best, least janitory way to back up my dad's windows (7, home premium) laptop to :yaycloud:
the ideal solution at first seemed to use the builtin windows backup to his google drive folder, but it seems you can't use that with anything except a physical drive that isn't C:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

how2 find out if a dll was built with VC6/2003/2005/etc ?

http://sumtips.com/2012/05/detect-identify-exe-compiler-packer.html

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

quadpus posted:

what's the best, least janitory way to back up my dad's windows (7, home premium) laptop to :yaycloud:
the ideal solution at first seemed to use the builtin windows backup to his google drive folder, but it seems you can't use that with anything except a physical drive that isn't C:

Symform is free, bitcasa is free. backblaze and crashplan are both good for paid services. If he has more than 10gb of data its worth paying for the backups. Also for just pictures, onedrive, and drop box both give you extra free space

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Heresiarch posted:

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

they don't take visa debit cards :argh:

paaaaaaaaaaaypaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal it is then

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

quadpus posted:

i was going to suggest synchronising the backup folder with the gbackup folder but then i realised how much janitoring it would take. lampey's suggestions are good.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

can I make google news not show me infowars as a source?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

RZA Encryption posted:

can I make google news not show me infowars as a source?

there should be a cog on the upper right. click on that and you'll get a dropdown box where you can adjust sources to reduce their frequency.

if the cog is not there look for a setting called personalise google news

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

saucepanman posted:

there should be a cog on the upper right. click on that and you'll get a dropdown box where you can adjust sources to reduce their frequency.

if the cog is not there look for a setting called personalise google news

Nice!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

quadpus posted:

pay for a crashplan account. they do a black friday sale after thanksgiving so wait for that I guess

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

pay for a crashplan account. they do a black friday sale after thanksgiving so wait for that I guess

crashplan took aaaages to back up on my ADSL upstream and it seemed like it always had like 200gb to go.. went onedrive. it's all good know.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

computer toucher posted:

crashplan took aaaages to back up on my ADSL upstream and it seemed like it always had like 200gb to go.. went onedrive. it's all good know.

well yeah, its heavily dependent on how big your selection is. if you're only backing up the same limited folder selection as onedrive its going to be about the same time but if you're pushing your entire system over a dsl line the initial sync will take forever. sync your user profile with appdata\local and local low excluded, probably exclude the downloads folder, maybe exclude movies or other media files you don't really care about as well. that will get you most of what you want. then have a secondary backup drive or nas as your secondary backup location to send the entire system to so you can do a full restore

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

has anyone here had a synology for more than 2 years, thats their warranty

Swolegoat
Nov 4, 2011
what r some tite settings for my 66u?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Swolegoat posted:

block SA so we don't have to read your posts anymore :xd:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Swolegoat posted:

if you enable wifi you can post from the pooper

j/k that's what you already do

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Swolegoat posted:

set you mtu to 100 so u get speedier packets

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

bobbilljim posted:

set you mtu to 100 so u get speedier packets

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Is there such a thing as a 4X16GB DDR4 Memory kit anywhere? Or 8X8 DDR4 if not? My googling gives nothing :o:

Oh wait, is this stuff OK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KUSMVVS

to run in one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N98RWOC/

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Is there such a thing as a 4X16GB DDR4 Memory kit anywhere? Or 8X8 DDR4 if not? My googling gives nothing :o:

Oh wait, is this stuff OK?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KUSMVVS

to run in one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00N98RWOC/

looks fine to me but also why @ lol at the asus pro gaming special mobo (im allowed to make fun of it because mine is similar albeit older)

like if u need that kind of performance you might be better off getting a server of some kind?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

PS/2

forever and always

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

the older you get the more the packaging on stuff tells you to back away

just turn around, you are not 16 anymore and this is not a good use of your time or money

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

syscall girl posted:

the older you get the more the packaging on stuff tells you to back away

just turn around, you are not 16 anymore and this is not a good use of your time or money

~my rampage extreme~

its popular enough there've been 5 lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

raruler posted:

PS/2

forever and always
oh man those usbs :circlefap:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Phoenixan posted:

oh man those usbs :circlefap:

id rather 4 usbs on teh back and like 6 on the front of the pc tbh

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

raruler posted:

PS/2

forever and always

interrupt based better than polling for MLG pr0 g4m1ng

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

eh, it's going on a windowless case so I'm not so fussed about the eXxtreme styling, but the IV board got good writeups for putting a quick processor and a bunch of RAM on - if I can get my photo processing back to real-time from 'move slider, wait 5 seconds for screen update' I will be happy.

lol if you suggest a Mac Pro, don't even try and 36 me bro.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I have an Office365/Onedrive for business account that apparently comes with 1TB of Onedrive (it's that student deal that was circulating recently).

The online Onedrive interface is pretty terrible for general usage, and I'd get more use out of it if I could map it as a drive in explorer. I followed the instructions here: http://thetechl33t.com/2014/03/14/how-to-mount-your-onedrive-as-a-local-mapped-drive/ but it never accepts my credentials, despite the fact that the same credentials log me in just fine on the website.

Is it just some restriction on the business accounts or the type of account I have, or something else? Locally I am running Win7 and Office 2007 (which should be fine for this).

edit: I should mention that my credentials are rejected in the official OneDrive app also.

edit2: turns out that onedrive for business is complete poo poo and not at all technologically related to regular personal onedrive. I can't think of anything more microsoft than that situation.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 11, 2014

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

NoneMoreNegative posted:

eh, it's going on a windowless case so I'm not so fussed about the eXxtreme styling, but the IV board got good writeups for putting a quick processor and a bunch of RAM on - if I can get my photo processing back to real-time from 'move slider, wait 5 seconds for screen update' I will be happy.

lol if you suggest a Mac Pro, don't even try and 36 me bro.

just how big are photos these days???? pagancow????

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
.raw files can be atleast a few 100mb each

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

saucepanman posted:

.raw files can be atleast a few 100mb each

ah, that justifies 64gb of ram.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have 8 identical machines onto which I need to load windows XP (lol) and fully update it and stuff. these computers all have OEM product keys. since I can change the product key after it's installed, I want to fully load one PC with everything I need, make a disk image out of the hard drive, and then write that image to seven more hard drives. what program would I use for that?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
just use wds

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have 8 identical machines onto which I need to load windows XP (lol) and fully update it and stuff. these computers all have OEM product keys. since I can change the product key after it's installed, I want to fully load one PC with everything I need, make a disk image out of the hard drive, and then write that image to seven more hard drives. what program would I use for that?

clonezilla

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Heresiarch posted:

i'm using digitalocean right now, one of their $5/mon droplets, and it's handling all of my "loving around" needs just fine, including web dev/hosting and an irc bouncer for some friends, and i'm 99% sure they don't have a problem with setting up your own vpn as long as you don't violate the tos. they have debian and centos images and generally things just work as expected, in my experience. their newer locations support stuff like ipv6 too

this is my referral link, which will give me $25 in credit eventually if you stay with them long enough, but more importantly will give you $10 in account credit immediately so you can fool around with their vms for a while and see if you like how they work, there may be something i've missed that's important to other folks

i hope this kind of referral link is okay, if it's not then i'll delete it (or a mod can just do it for me)

i have a bunch of digitalocean drops, the number varies widely. i started out with one. then i built a 3 node coreos cluster. then i wrote shell scripts to create and destroy machines via api, and ive had up to like 60 up simultaneously. i think right now i just have the 3 up though.

the api is ownage.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

i would like to hear more about why you are using windows xp at this time

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

you know why XP might still be in use for workstations but a better question is why not run it in a VM or something since apparently it's required for something important

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DNova posted:

clonezilla

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

and use DRBL multicast so you can image several pc's at once :pcgaming:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo