Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I'm experimenting with Tumblr so I made an effortpost about Breakfast Cult's pledge breakdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

signalnoise posted:

How do people get to be card nerds? I see a bunch that I think are cool but the only came I can think to play with them is poker. Are they all poker nerds?

I like doing card tricks sometimes, so when learning to do that you learn that there are card stocks better than the bicycle stuff you grab at every store ever.

From there it's a short jump to "this deck on kickstarter looks really cool" and then you've got a small deck collection.

It can also be sort of nice to have themed decks for RPGs but that comes up pretty rarely, for me it's just been like one session of Deadlands and 2 of Castle Falkenstein.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Worldspinner update now has digital map download stuff - you can swap your existing pledge for a physical map for what appears to be unlimited downloads of digital ones.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mirthdefect posted:

Worldspinner update now has digital map download stuff - you can swap your existing pledge for a physical map for what appears to be unlimited downloads of digital ones.

Just did that. It's pretty amazing how many others did too. (and how many others haven't...)

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I talked to the author of Boiling Point in this podcast: http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2014/10/interview/game-designers-workshop-interview-with-peter-nielsen/ - Peter is a first time author and I'm a first time publisher so this goes into the process behind it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just did that. It's pretty amazing how many others did too. (and how many others haven't...)

I don't have a 40-inch printer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's likely your local print shop has one, though, and you may be able to print to whatever size you want if you can download the high-res image. Including printing to PDF if you want to share the map with other people.

It's a good thing because previously the plan seemed to be that you could download/print low-res but not high-res, which would mean you could still get high-res but only by making the effort of zooming in and grabbing a bunch of zoomed-in areas and then stitching them together offline yourself using an image editing application. So they were not actually preventing determined people from doing what they want, while actually inconveniencing their own customers.

Now you just get that functionality for a fairly reasonable price, if you want it/it matters to you.

It also shows a willingness by the Worldspinner people to listen to what their customers are asking for and if it's feasible, make adjustments accordingly. That's a good sign.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I only game online now, so printing makes no real sense to me.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
In Xenoshyft's latest update they said the rubber backed cloth playmats turned out to be too expensive to put into the game. They told backers that they will do it for the kickstarter copies only but they're changing the paper map in retail copies to a board so they don't get too screwed out of nice things.

For their first non-miniatures game they're doing an awesome job.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
50 sHAdes of VORpal

quote:

d&D sucks and this is the GREATEst game of ALL TIME. I know, because I made it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

The best Kickstarter ever posted:

Look at all these people making kickstarters. How hard can it be?

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Laugh all you want but the dude is at $895.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The guys behind the Root Dice are doing an expansion, archetypes. Color-coded woods for various adventuring archetypes, with matching dyed leather pouches. I'm pretty sure I've never had a Kickstarter fulfilled more rapidly. They had stuff out within a few weeks. The dice are really nice and look really cool.

They have a few days left on this one, so I thought I'd give them some promotion since they're cool dudes and have a good track record.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
I didn't even know their first one had ended, that's awesome how quick they fulfilled it. They look cool, I just don't have much to do with dice that roll in the 1-20 range. If they made Fate dice in cheaper sets of 4 I would consider backing them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
6 dollars per die is pretty loving steep.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Why do all these dice / dice box / dice bag kickstarters never have dice cups?

I mean really. It's all I want these days.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Echophonic posted:

The guys behind the Root Dice are doing an expansion, archetypes. Color-coded woods for various adventuring archetypes, with matching dyed leather pouches. I'm pretty sure I've never had a Kickstarter fulfilled more rapidly. They had stuff out within a few weeks. The dice are really nice and look really cool.

Am I the only one who thinks half the themes are drat near impossible to read. It's bright yellow die with white pips all over again!

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Those lovely sharp edges are gonna gently caress up your table and/or get horribly mangled unless you're rolling on felt too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Why do all these dice / dice box / dice bag kickstarters never have dice cups?

I mean really. It's all I want these days.

I dunno about using them for other games, but we have exactly one guy around here who uses a dice cup for Warmachine and it is the most obnoxious god drat thing in the world.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wood or leather? I can imagine wood being obnoxious, particularly if it isn't lined.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Wood or leather? I can imagine wood being obnoxious, particularly if it isn't lined.

Wood, and it's lined, but it doesn't help. It isn't just the noise though - you're taking extra time just rolling the dice and it's completely unnecessary, even in casual games. I could see a lined box to roll in though.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
I would like a lined tray to roll dice in. A cup is a bunch of unnecessary movements to do the same thing as rolling by hand, I have one I really like but I never have a reason to really use it unless I played on a TV tray.

A dice tray is just a place to roll dice that keeps them contained and away from table edges. also everyone can use it and you don't have to pass it around like a cup. If one hit KS that was the right price I'd jump on it.

I won't do dice towers though, they just seem like an even bigger waste of time and space than cups.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Well, I often roll in advance and just pull up the cup. It's particularly quick for stuff like FATE where you don't have to worry about what dice you're rolling. I'm also used to playing with a group that has a crummy table, so that's another thing.

I've used trays in the past, particularly for games like Exalted where flying dice are a genuine issue.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The only place I used a dice tower at was a shop that had them built into the tables which was sort of handy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The only dice container I need

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

The only dice container I need

Somebody should Kickstart a Pop-o-matic D20. They would get all the monies.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Bucnasti posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2067825909/attacks-of-opportunity

Not ALL the monies of course

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Mine is better

Bucnasti posted:

I already made one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzEtVUaRVE

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah yours is better

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'm going to blame the poor performance on the uninspiring kickstarter and not on the product.

Dem Lights!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Bucnasti posted:

I'm going to blame the poor performance on the uninspiring kickstarter and not on the product.

Dem Lights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FQkln28bM

I clipped the wires so that the sassy-lady voice doesn't trigger and then repainted it to act as a piece of terrain for Infinity. The best $1 I've spent at a yard sale in a long time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Christ, I've had that loving product's jingle/saying in my head on and off for the last 30-something years. "I'll give you trouble! In a popamatic bubble."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think there have historically been patent issues with companies trying to reproduce it? I vaguely recall somebody getting in trouble with Hasbro or the like at some point. :raise:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
So, at RinCon (Tucson gaming convention), I got to play in a couple of Kickstarted games with the creators. Played Accursed with Ross Watson and East Texas University with Shane Hensley. Definitely nice to be on the other side of the screen for once, and awesome to see a couple of the games I've backed actually being played. Also, Watson and Hensley are both cool dudes. One of the players in the ETU game had a card game he'd tried to Kickstart. Hensley took several minutes going over various options for getting it published, and suggested that the quotes he'd gotten from the print people he'd contacted might not have been entirely accurate, and to look into other options. Class act.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Some people ran the mathiness of crowdfunding and types of investors

https://medium.com/the-physics-arxiv-blog/data-mining-reveals-the-secret-sauce-in-matching-investors-to-crowdfunding-projects-6053e779b31

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I'm so close to buying Yashima on the idea of it being good. It sounds like it would be a really cool game if it weren't for the fact that it used 3 decks of cards and 1 mini. I feel like it would be better with 2 decks of cards and like a team of 3 minis or something. A faction deck instead of a character deck, something. I just imagine it playing out like an irish boxing match.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 12, 2014

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The proposed cold-call service is kinda creepy. "Hello sir or ma'am. Our computer tells us you have backed projects like ours in the past, please give us all your monies because we are similar to other things you have backed in the past."

I have to admit I might back them the first time just because of the novelty, but I imagine it would get annoying fast.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

People who back Kickstarter projects are not investors. They do not have a financial investment in the project.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

People who back Kickstarter projects are not investors. They do not have a financial investment in the project.
I'm guessing this is a joke regarding GMS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

NGDBSS posted:

I'm guessing this is a joke regarding GMS?

No, just an accurate statement.

• Locked thread