Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

I'm all for a balls-out approach to mythic storytelling (hell, I'm one of the few people Immortals worked for from the visuals alone) but the story, dialogue, and characters of Exodus just seem so cliche.

I'm not sure what you could do with the story and characters. I'm not saying this in a snarky contrarian thing, and this is probably why I'm not a filmmaker, but yeah, I dunno. The closest thing I could think of is maybe trying to pull a Noah and add in a lot of stuff, but I think the story of Exodus just has a lot more dramatic potential than Noah's. I still couldn't help but keep thinking of The Prince of Egypt while watching that trailer, though.

Movie looks great visually despite how whitewashed it was. That shot of the horse against the coming wave is still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

Boy oh boy does this new Exodus: Gods and Kings trailer look generic. And ugly. And still very full of white people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8YsulfxVI

Man, where in Exodus did it say anything about alligators?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

quote:

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘The Lord says this: “Let My people go, so they may worship Me. But if you will not let them go, I will bring trouble to your whole country and you will be up to your rear end in alligators."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

When you are up to your rear end in alligators, it is too late to worry about whether you should have irrigated the Nile Delta.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

None of those things make me hate Exodus.

It's how Joel Edgerton looks that drives me mad. How did they turn that rich Great Gatsby jock into Ricky Gervais? Awful.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Replacing the frogs with alligators would have made the decision to let them go much easier.

Wait, aren't those crocodiles?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

kiimo posted:

None of those things make me hate Exodus.

It's how Joel Edgerton looks that drives me mad. How did they turn that rich Great Gatsby jock into Ricky Gervais? Awful.

Anything that makes Joel Edgerton look like a joke just bums me out :smith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nowhere. Crocodiles on the other hand...

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

LesterGroans posted:

Anything that makes Joel Edgerton look like a joke just bums me out :smith:

Him shouting about being a god in the trailer makes me hopeful for him acting his heart out as Ramses though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Exodus looks great. As a big Ridley Scott fan I can't wait to get the far superior Director's Cut without studio meddling on blu-ray months after it comes out in theaters.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Clint Eastwood's American Sniper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItGoIxoVGk

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Saw that trailer in front of Gone Girl and the audience reaction was first silent tension, then quiet laughing and murmuring at the name, then open laughing when the Christmas release date was shown.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

drat, this looks good. I've found that I've really underestimated Bradley Cooper as an actor.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm 95% down with that trailer and the last 5% is only because THE MOST LETHAL SNIPER IN AMERICAN HISTORY sounds like it should be the tagline for an 80s movie called ACTION SNIPER FORCE or something.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 3, 2014

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

Saw that trailer in front of Gone Girl and the audience reaction was first silent tension, then quiet laughing and murmuring at the name, then open laughing when the Christmas release date was shown.

To be fair, it's the name of the book.

e; assuming you're talking about American Sniper here

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
American sniper
Stay away from me
American sniper
Mama let me be

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This trailer is very tense and dope

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

I'm 95% down with that trailer and the last 5% i only because THE MOST LETHAL SNIPER IN AMERICAN HISTORY sounds like it should be the tagline for an 80s movie called ACTION SNIPER FORCE or something.

Agreed. Everything up until that point was great.

The title does leave something to be desired as well, but it's not a deal breaker.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think it looks kind of generic.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

So Eastwood has really gone around the bend.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

So Eastwood has really gone around the bend.

You mean him rambling to an empty chair at the RNC didn't tip you off?

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

A friend of mine once told me that "I totally shot this kid/veiled woman when they pulled out a grenade/mortar" is the number one made-up story snipers tell to freak out civilians, so that trailer made me laugh pretty hard.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Key Art Awards nominations came out today.

I highly doubt anyone cares but here they are.

http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/av/

We got nominated for Edge and Prisoners for these...

http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/av_trailers/entry.cfm?entryid=501410158&ispartofcampaign=0&index=20

http://www.keyartaward.com/winners/2014/av/entry.cfm?entryid=501411855&ispartofcampaign=0&index=25

Nothing is beating Gravity though so just forget it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's a good one but the first trailer for Edge was incredible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k59gXTWf-A
Trailer for Brad Bird's new movie, Tomorrowland. Looks real good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

muscles like this? posted:

I'm down as gently caress for this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lindelof is also attached so... consider me extremely cautiously optimistic.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

BonoMan posted:

I saw the trailer at their Comic Con panel. They also showed an extended sequence that culminated in Clooney's character and the girl from the trailer trying to escape a group of creepy, smiley androids trying to kill them. If nothing else, it's pure, uncut Bird.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DivisionPost posted:

I saw the trailer at their Comic Con panel. They also showed an extended sequence that culminated in Clooney's character and the girl from the trailer trying to escape a group of creepy, smiley androids trying to kill them. If nothing else, it's pure, uncut Bird.

Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof doing a movie version of the Itchy & Scratchy Land Simpsons episode has my full attention.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Disney's been cutting a lot of their trailers like short films recently, and it's a terrific decision.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Disney's been cutting a lot of their trailers like short films recently, and it's a terrific decision.

I think this is Pixar's influence.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Brad Bird and Damon Lindelof doing a movie version of the Itchy & Scratchy Land Simpsons episode has my full attention.

its westworld dumbass

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Judge Clayjar posted:

its westworld dumbass

I'm hoping a Disney movie might be a little goofier than Westworld though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BonoMan posted:

Oh boo hoo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Oh boo hoo.

He ain't wrong.

It does looks sweet as gently caress, but then again I'd watch Brad Bird make a movie out of the phone book.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I got goosebumps. For serious.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Yes, please.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GonSmithe posted:

Oh boo hoo.

Lindelof hasn't been able to do anything good in my opinion. Interesting ideas, but he seems unable to write characters with decent motivations. He basically has an idea and will just brute force a character to meet that idea regardless of how ridiculously idiotic it makes their actions. He's terrible.

Now Brad Bird is amazing, so I do hope he more than evens out Lindelof's contributions.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

BonoMan posted:

Lindelof hasn't been able to do anything good in my opinion. Interesting ideas, but he seems unable to write characters with decent motivations. He basically has an idea and will just brute force a character to meet that idea regardless of how ridiculously idiotic it makes their actions. He's terrible.

Now Brad Bird is amazing, so I do hope he more than evens out Lindelof's contributions.

Prometheus and The Leftovers are both pretty great but it's fine if you disagree and don't like him in general! It's just that the "ugh, Lindelof" any time one of his projects gets brought up is a little grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Prometheus and The Leftovers are both pretty great but it's fine if you disagree and don't like him in general! It's just that the "ugh, Lindelof" any time one of his projects gets brought up is a little grating.

That's because Lindelof defenders and haters don't seem to feel anything about him by half. I'm firmly in the "he's loving awful" camp, but I agree that the discourse that comes up every time one his projects is brought up is very grating.

• Locked thread