Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
So ummm is this a game? I'm confused. My dad died and now I have two counties and umm nothing else to do but watch the clock tick by... I can't attack any body, I'm kind of lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

Alright...I just got back into this game after taking a long time off from playing it. I took a stab as Ireland because it would be a nice starter game and you have the chance to reunite a kingdom. I've done that, taking nine counties, but I've got a Gavelkind problem. The heir is a low-talent putz and his oldest brother is a putz, but the third son is 13+ in both military and stewardship. What good ways are there to get rid of the older two sons so he can have all of the land to himself instead of splitting it up three ways?

Why not switch to tanistry?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Bum the Sad posted:

So ummm is this a game? I'm confused. My dad died and now I have two counties and umm nothing else to do but watch the clock tick by... I can't attack any body, I'm kind of lost.

Send your chancellor out to fabricate claims on counties you want, preferably counties that don't have a liege or allies. You can also go to the county or duchy page and click claimants to find some people who may have claims on things you want. Then just invite them, give them some land, and then press their claim. You'll probably want to unite your duchy first.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Bum the Sad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBBUYoAjpLxFkbgFw19CeA_

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Awesome! posted:

Yea I think he was at court with his daddy but I'm not certain

e: I actually won't mind killing my son. here he is making me proud

:aatrek:

On top of what other people have said, if you are Ag-Cog: if that kid is a son you'll have to kill him too (or kill the pregnant 15yo before its too late!). Also you can leave daughters younger than the Queen-of-Sweden-to-be alone, but if they have a son and she does not they will skip ahead of her for inheritance. You'd then have to kill the younger daughter and probably also her son.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Has anyone tried conquering the world as a papal vassal? You'd have to stay at Duke level and only have counts (which would be a pain with the Charlemagne release) but it would be an interesting import into EU4...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

monster on a stick posted:

Has anyone tried conquering the world as a papal vassal? You'd have to stay at Duke level and only have counts (which would be a pain with the Charlemagne release) but it would be an interesting import into EU4...

I took over Ireland as a papal vassal in my first game, not realizing that I'd never be able to create the kingdom. Ended up using a holy war as cover to declare independence.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

If you're a Catholic, I think you can grant the Pope landed titles even if you're not a vassal. A few (hundred) pages back someone mentioned a potential game where you just play as a Papal attack-dog, and that could be really fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ninjahedgehog posted:

play as a Papal attack-dog

I laughed far too hard at this phrase.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Why not switch to tanistry?
From what I can tell, in Tanistry the vassals would favor the older brothers. I could find out once the king has been in place for ten years.

The skills of the three sons:

The Heir: 7-6-7-6-6, and he's Cynical and Craven
Middle Son: 3-4-6-6-7, and that's even though he's Diligent and was tutored by the smartest man in the kingdom
Son #3: 8-11-13-4-9, with Midas Touched, Zealotry, Diligent, and Kind traits

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 10, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Ted posted:

From what I can tell, in Tanistry the vassals would favor the older brothers. I could find out once the king has been in place for ten years.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can just bribe the poo poo out of the important vassals and they'll vote how you vote. Also is your 3rd son is the youngest, you can use ultrageniture or w/e for a generation.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you can just bribe the poo poo out of the important vassals and they'll vote how you vote. Also is your 3rd son is the youngest, you can use ultrageniture or w/e for a generation.
I did not realize this. I presume you have a backlash among your courtiers if you switch succession laws?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Middle Son: 3-4-6-6-7, and that's even though he's Diligent and was tutored by the smartest man in the kingdom

Just FYI you should always tutor your heirs. You get to pick the best attributes when they pop up, where other characters will "role play." So if you are craven, you can still encourage your kid to be brave.

Crazy Ted posted:

I did not realize this. I presume you have a backlash among your courtiers if you switch succession laws?

Vassals get some malus against you for changing succession laws especially if they become removed from the line of succession (e.g. oldest kid will hate you if you pick ultimogeniture.) The best one (right now, this may change after the upcoming patch) is Elective. The only downside is that if everyone hates you, they may vote for someone outside your dynasty, but that's what :hist101: is for.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 10, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheBlackRoija posted:

On top of what other people have said, if you are Ag-Cog: if that kid is a son you'll have to kill him too (or kill the pregnant 15yo before its too late!). Also you can leave daughters younger than the Queen-of-Sweden-to-be alone, but if they have a son and she does not they will skip ahead of her for inheritance. You'd then have to kill the younger daughter and probably also her son.

ok thanks. obviously I'm still not 100% on succession laws. Didn't know that killing my son wouldn't take his son out of succession. That picture was from an hour or so before I quit and that kid did turn out to be a boy. Actually now that I think about it my current character has been rather prolific in making babies and there might be an older daughter with kids married off somewhere too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay here's another question: in going to marry the 16-year-old third son, I noticed that in the Select a Spouse window there's a bunch of ridiculously talented princesses and other females from Noble Houses who are within a year or two of coming of age. Should I betrothe him to one of them and have him wait the year or two to get married? For instance, there's a 13-year-old daughter of an Italian Duke whose skill levels are already at 14-12-9-8-9 and the only negative trait is Envy.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 10, 2014

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay here's another question: in going to marry the 16-year-old third son, I noticed that in the Select a Spouse window there's a bunch of ridiculously talented princesses who are within a year or two of coming of age. Should I betrothe him to one of them and have him wait the year or two to get married? For instance, there's a 13-year-old daughter of an Italian Duke whose skill levels are already at 14-12-9-8-9 and the only negative trait is Envy.

That is fine. The most important attributes for a spouse are stewardship to increase the size of your demesne, followed by intrigue if you want them as your spymaster. Also, several traits are 'genetic' and have a chance of carrying over to children, the best are: genius (+5 to all attributes and opinion bonus), quick (+3 to all attributes), strong (increased health and fertility), and attractive (opinion bonus) in that order.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That is fine. The most important attributes for a spouse are stewardship to increase the size of your demesne, followed by intrigue if you want them as your spymaster. Also, several traits are 'genetic' and have a chance of carrying over to children, the best are: genius (+5 to all attributes and opinion bonus), quick (+3 to all attributes), strong (increased health and fertility), and attractive (opinion bonus) in that order.
Sounds good. Yeah, the 13-year-old has the Quick trait, so I guess she'll be the one for the youngest son. Thanks.

EDIT: Holy poo poo one of the princesses ended up with a diplomacy rating of 26 :stare:
EDIT: The 13-year-old had attributes of 20-15-11-4-20 by the time she was married into the family. Mastermind Theologian, Quick, Diligent, Patient, Brave, Kind, and Honest.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 10, 2014

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Just FYI you should always tutor your heirs. You get to pick the best attributes when they pop up, where other characters will "role play." So if you are craven, you can still encourage your kid to be brave.

I always kind of wish you were a little more limited in this regard. Obviously you want a degree of choice in educating a ward, but it's a bit daft if the famously charitable, kind, just king laughs and does nothing when his kid is found torturing cats. There should be certain traits that prevent certain actions (in the same way being lustful sometimes makes you unable to say no to an affair, or chaste makes you unable to say yes).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
This happens to some degree. When my son came out of the dungeons covered in blood my only option was to show him how to properly torture prisoners, because I had the cruel and wroth traits.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

If I war this guy how likely is Henri to join? Haven't really had to worry about alliances in my conquests so far. If I kill the son does the alliance die?

I decided killing my way to the swedish crown was not worth it. My son actually had 4 kids in like a year and the kingdom of sweden is an elective so who knows what will happen there anyway.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 10, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Finally managed a CK2 Ironman game where I could reform the faith and get to something other than gavelkind as Norse. Should I form the Scandinavian Empire or just keep on trucking as a kingdom? I want to import into EU4 and I recall there being some limitations on empires in that.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is there a way to see what the Sea Zones are? I'm wondering how far you can spread culture across water specifically. For example, if I have a Norse ruler in an Irish county, and Isle of Man is also Norse/Norse, that should be able to spread right? But if they weren't, how far away could you spread it?

And if I'm understanding correctly, the way to convert culture groups is to ...
- Make sure the ruler of that county has the correct Religion/Culture you want to convert to.
- Make sure that ruler has as high of Stewardship as possible (over 13 is best).
- Try to have many individual rulers if you have multiple counties to convert since the event fires per character.

Is it just the County ruler who effects culture conversion or do any of the city/church barons effect it as well?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Awesome! posted:

If I war this guy how likely is Henri to join? Haven't really had to worry about alliances in my conquests so far. If I kill the son does the alliance die?

I decided killing my way to the swedish crown was not worth it. My son actually had 4 kids in like a year and the kingdom of sweden is an elective so who knows what will happen there anyway.

If it's elective you probably wouldn't have inherited Sweden anyway, electors really loathe voting for foreign monarch, especially if they have the wrong culture.

It's always hit and miss how likely somebody is to join a war. You could kill the son or his wife to end the alliance.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
So I have a guy with a weak claim on the kingdom of scotland as a landed vassal. If I press this dude's claim will he become king of scotland, and therefore not my vassal anymore?

On another note, what's a good way to destabalize a realm to make it an easier conquest? England would eat me alive if I tried anything the way it is now.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

DiseasedTempest posted:

So I have a guy with a weak claim on the kingdom of scotland as a landed vassal. If I press this dude's claim will he become king of scotland, and therefore not my vassal anymore?

On another note, what's a good way to destabalize a realm to make it an easier conquest? England would eat me alive if I tried anything the way it is now.

If you're a higher rank than King (i.e. an Emperor) then he'll become your vassal. The best thing you can do with a claim like that is marry him into your family so his heirs will be of your dynasty. Once you've got a dynasty member set on the throne of Scotland, if you're running Tanistry or Elective you can get them elected your heir.

This is actually how my girlfriend incorporated Sweden and Norway into her Empire of Prydain: she'd married one of her sons to a Swedish Princess and after a couple of centuries said Princess had become Queen of Sweden and Norway because all her brothers had died without children. Because it was a regular marriage the future heir to Sweden and Norway was of my girlfriend's dynasty.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I just noticed one of the DLCs I picked up lets you rename titles you hold. Goodbye Kingdom of Israel, hello State of Palestine :getin:

I'm playing as the son of Satan, which is fun as hell. When I inherited he was Possessed and speaking in tongues (-20 diplomacy, ouch), but both of those went away after a while. Now in his old age he's losing it again, speaking in tongues once more with the devil whispering in his ear. Did you know the devil is a Cathar? And you can get heresy events even without sending your chaplain to research culture tech?

So after generations of pushing the Catholic agenda, my batshit freshly Cathar son of Satan is going to paint the world red with heresy. The pope declared a crusade to take Lithuania (the king of which is still Catholic, but still reports to me), which was promptly crushed with my 50,000 retinue troops in the region.

I can only hope he lives long enough to tank Catholic moral authority. What's the best way to do this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bort Bortles posted:

I laughed far too hard at this phrase.

Billy Connolly used to have a routine called Stormtroopers of the Catholic Church, which is even better.

I managed to get a ruler with Pleasures in the Next Life to become a Lustful Hedonist. He was also Strong, so even after he became Infirm at age 73 he knocked out a legitimate child plus two with one of his lovers before dying aged 82. Given the event for Hedonist only pops for Lustful characters I doubt I'll ever be able to get a Celibate Hedonist, but I can dream.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 10, 2014

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I just noticed one of the DLCs I picked up lets you rename titles you hold. Goodbye Kingdom of Israel, hello State of Palestine :getin:

I'm playing as the son of Satan, which is fun as hell. When I inherited he was Possessed and speaking in tongues (-20 diplomacy, ouch), but both of those went away after a while. Now in his old age he's losing it again, speaking in tongues once more with the devil whispering in his ear. Did you know the devil is a Cathar? And you can get heresy events even without sending your chaplain to research culture tech?

So after generations of pushing the Catholic agenda, my batshit freshly Cathar son of Satan is going to paint the world red with heresy. The pope declared a crusade to take Lithuania (the king of which is still Catholic, but still reports to me), which was promptly crushed with my 50,000 retinue troops in the region.

I can only hope he lives long enough to tank Catholic moral authority. What's the best way to do this?

Holy war like crazy and take all the Catholic holy sites. Each of them nets Catholic 10% moral authority, so taking each of those and instituting a Cathar there is a 10% drop in moral authority in addition to the drop from losing Holy Wars.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Ratpick posted:

Holy war like crazy and take all the Catholic holy sites. Each of them nets Catholic 10% moral authority, so taking each of those and instituting a Cathar there is a 10% drop in moral authority in addition to the drop from losing Holy Wars.

I'm pretty sure I already control all of them. Good to know if I flip the county to Cathar it's a big hit, thanks!

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm pretty sure I already control all of them. Good to know if I flip the county to Cathar it's a big hit, thanks!

Actually, if you already control them then Catholic MA should already be hovering very low. However, if the Bishops that control the Holy Sites are still Catholic they still get a 5% boost to MA from them. So, make sure each of the Holy Sites also has a Cathar controlling it. In addition to that you should just Holy War all your Catholic neighbors, each lost holy war is like -2 MA for a decade or so.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I finally got the son and his genius princess in as the king and queen...after Brian II reigned for 42 years starting when he was 28. Long story short, the King of Ireland ended his life with more prestige than any other leader in the known world pretty much just as a factor of longevity.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 10, 2014

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

I installed After the End but when I start it up, all I see is the zoom/pan over the American Southwest and none of the menu items appear (so I can't actually start a new game). Anyone else seen this issue and know how I can resolve it?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
drat, when did they change/remove the range on holy orders? It wasn't planned that Icelandic Jarls can hire the new order I founded in India!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ratpick posted:

Actually, if you already control them then Catholic MA should already be hovering very low. However, if the Bishops that control the Holy Sites are still Catholic they still get a 5% boost to MA from them. So, make sure each of the Holy Sites also has a Cathar controlling it. In addition to that you should just Holy War all your Catholic neighbors, each lost holy war is like -2 MA for a decade or so.

It's -3 for 20 years if it's universal. Playing as east african jews, and I've been holy warring the poo poo out of the miaphysites and monophysites. But I'm almost 100 years into the game, and I've only converted one county to Judaism despite my MA pushing 50 and the entire Nubian and Abyssinian kingdoms being controlled by Jews from top to bottom. :iiam: Now to figure out how to start making gains in Egypt and Sanaa. Come on failed jihads.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
50 is still very low.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I've pushed unreformed norse up to like 80 through the luck of beating a Crusade and other Norse not getting steamrolled and still cant convert anything. I'm not upset about it because I know unreformed suck for converting. I will soon own 4 Norse holy sites and could reform the faith, but arent there drawbacks to reforming super early? Its still the 900s in my game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just survived a massive crusade by the skin of my teeth and lucking into being able to siege down Rome while the cat was away. It's my second survival of these so far, you'd think they'd learn by now not o try.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Bort Bortles posted:

I've pushed unreformed norse up to like 80 through the luck of beating a Crusade and other Norse not getting steamrolled and still cant convert anything. I'm not upset about it because I know unreformed suck for converting. I will soon own 4 Norse holy sites and could reform the faith, but arent there drawbacks to reforming super early? Its still the 900s in my game.

You have more difficulty conquering other Pagans until you get far enough through the Military Organisation tech.
It may be worth waiting until you've subjugated the Finns.

On the other hand, Gavelkind can destroy your Empire.
If you're able to expand without having to go through the defensive Pagans, it may be worth reforming now.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Edison was a dick posted:

On the other hand, Gavelkind can destroy your Empire.

Is there ever a good reason to use Gavelkind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
After beheading a bunch of Norse prisoners, my Orthodox Russian Tsar just killed the Norse Uber King (of Sweden, Norway, and large parts of England) in battle. Then I notice the Tsar is now known as Igor II the Merry.

Contingency Plan posted:

Some pages ago I asked for an easy game as a Muslim ruler and people recommended an Iberian one, so I tried the Emir of Granada.
Holy hell, is it hard. Does anyone have any tips for surviving the first few years in 1066 Iberia? The Christian kings are all of the Jimena dynasty and naturally join each other's wars. Within a few years at the start the Jimena wrecking ball starts demolishing Muslim Iberia one holy war at a time -- how do I stop it? I've tried joining the defender's war, but even our combined armies aren't enough to resist Leon + Castile + Galicia + Aragon.
Stab the Jimenas into instability if you can. They'll go to war over each others' claims, so try getting kids on their thrones. When they're at war with each other, attack and break off duchies where you can.

• Locked thread