Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Hob_Gadling posted:

As a beautiful little detail, the platform has spikes because you're naturally going to place it on a carpet and not on some hard surface such as shelf or table.

Audiophiles put spikes on equipment specifically so they can be placed on hard surfaces. Less surface area = less room for vibrations to propagate! duh!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

This is in a way relevant to the thread and in a way completely irrelevant, but here's an excitable Australian tearing down a fake "audiophile" amplifier from a white van scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3B_KKyntQE

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

xarph posted:

This is in a way relevant to the thread and in a way completely irrelevant, but here's an excitable Australian tearing down a fake "audiophile" amplifier from a white van scam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3B_KKyntQE

If he says bowteek one more time I'm going to Australia to murder him.

e: Täg Hewer :barf:

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 10, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Haha I can't tell if this is the right place to ask but...

I am looking for a portable way to play my high quality audio files.

I have an iPhone 6+, the onkyo app that lets you play FLAC, etc. and the apple camera connection kit.

I think I need a DAC but I'm a little lost in trying to find the most portable/best version. Any help would be much appreciated.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Your iPhone already has an excellent DAC and headphone amplifier stage.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Ah ok this was the wrong thread...

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Ah ok this was the wrong thread...

It was the exact right thread.

beeman
May 7, 2008

I have an iPhone 6+, the onkyo app that lets you play FLAC, etc. and the apple camera connection kit.

I think I need a DAC but I'm a little lost in trying to find the most portable/best version. Any help would be much appreciated.

this might be the way to go

http://resonessencelabs.com/herus/

http://resonessencelabs.com/dsd-on-iphone-with-herus/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Things you will notice from using an external DAC/amp:
  • You can listen to music anywhere from slightly to moderately louder, depending on the amp and the headphone's you're using.

Things you will notice from using FLAC:
  • Your phone's storage will fill up faster.

If you could really DBX FLAC vs. 320kbps MP3 or the noise floor difference from using an external DAC, you would have told us what headphones you were using since pairing the amplifier to match those is going to have a far greater impact.

Edit: Also, you would know that ALAC works natively on iOS and performs just as well as FLAC.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

KillHour posted:

• You can listen to music anywhere from slightly to moderately louder, depending on the amp and the headphone's you're using.

If you could really DBX FLAC vs. 320kbps MP3 or the noise floor difference from using an external DAC, you would have told us what headphones you were using since pairing the amplifier to match those is going to have a far greater impact.

Edit: Also, you would know that ALAC works natively on iOS and performs just as well as FLAC.

:ssh: Let him spend $400 on a dongle for his iPhone I wanna watch.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, in that case, buy one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Cypher-Labs-T...ords=iphone+dac

And don't forget your cable!
http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/wireworld-platinum-starlight-usb-cable.html

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey I need some help and it seems like this is the only appropriate thread.

There are tons (tons) of Bluetooth headphones (like real over-the-ear headphones) that have little built in mics for if you get a call on your phone ect. So clearly it has the capability of broadcasting sound back to the device. What I cannot for the life of me find is a bluetooth anything, headphone, dongle, nothing, that allows you to plug in your own inline mic. To clarify: Headphones or earbuds that have the 4 pin TRRS 3.5mm connector that is 2 ear buds (left/right) and one mic. Most people imagine this as the earbuds that have the little mic dangling halfway. Not a single device seems to be able to utilize this mic.

My purpose is actually slightly different, but the idea is the same. I want to have bluetooth headphones and then plug one of these in, which would allow me to talk through that.

Anyone know anything like this? Everyone of the little cheap dongle things you find on amazon has built in mic that will not be overridden by the introduction of an inline mic.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

KillHour posted:

If he had a really high impedance set of headphones he might have trouble, but who uses them for portable use? Besides, the iPhone 5 is measured to have a really good output stage. Steve Jobs loved music and was apparently a bit hard of hearing so he demanded a surprisingly powerful amplifier and high-quality DAC in the iPod, which carried over to the iPhone.

quote:

poo poo, I doubt one could easily DBX lossless vs 160kbps AAC (maybe even 128).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I can hear the difference between 128 and 360 but then I get listener fatigue :(

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GutBomb posted:

I can hear the difference between 128 and 360 but then I get listener fatigue :(

I can't ABX for poo poo, but I get fatigued when the whole albums dynamic range is crushed into the last dB available.

The Killers, especially with Battle Born, were guilty of some pretty aggressive loudness.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
ABX tests are bullshit in relation to general consumptions. At least these days with decently tuned encoders.

If you're trying to find weaknesses in the encoder, so that you can tune the psychoacoustic model, fine. But if all you're doing is listening to music in MP3/AAC format all day, pretend that any artifacts you think you hear are part of the music (unless you're dealing with glaring artifacts from low bitrate files). Hell, I fell plenty for it in the past, thinking that a CD rip encoded badly, just to find out that the things that sound like MP3 ringing were actually on the CD.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Between a Spectrum 128 and an Xbox 360? Pretty easy to hear in my opinion :shrug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

ABX tests are bullshit in relation to general consumptions. At least these days with decently tuned encoders.

If you're trying to find weaknesses in the encoder, so that you can tune the psychoacoustic model, fine. But if all you're doing is listening to music in MP3/AAC format all day, pretend that any artifacts you think you hear are part of the music (unless you're dealing with glaring artifacts from low bitrate files). Hell, I fell plenty for it in the past, thinking that a CD rip encoded badly, just to find out that the things that sound like MP3 ringing were actually on the CD.

Which is why ABX tests are important - they reveal which flaws are the encoding, which are in the actual recording and most importantly, which are all in your head.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

ha nice try but I can def. tell a difference. iTunes supports AIFF files but iPhone does not, it won't accept them during sync, you need a 3rd party app (I like Onkyo's).

My rig is badass btw. I don't care about space bro I have a 128gb iPhone 6+. That's right; I got 99 gigs but an mp3 ain't on one.

This is what I'm currently rocking: iPhone 6+ 128 GB> iPhone Lightning Camera Kit>HRT Microstreamer DAC>AKG K 701 Headphones.

I mean I mostly listen to Weezer/Flaming Lips but I like my tunes at the highest quality haha that's why you'll catch me at the gym with those big rear end cans blasting away.

Some of you are saying that the iPhone has a great built in DAC but the DAC limits/downgrades the file quality due to its limitations, no?

On my MacAir I run Audirvana and the Microstreamer/Headphone combo. Fuckin love it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

KillHour posted:

Which is why ABX tests are important - they reveal which flaws are the encoding, which are in the actual recording and most importantly, which are all in your head.
These days, MP3 encoders do pretty well, and AAC encoders even more. It's very unlikely that any encodings will contain really messy artifacts, unless you force it with silly settings during encoding. The files may as well just be the truth to you and me, if they're what you're going to listen to.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ha nice try but I can def. tell a difference. iTunes supports AIFF files but iPhone does not, it won't accept them during sync, you need a 3rd party app (I like Onkyo's).

My rig is badass btw. I don't care about space bro I have a 128gb iPhone 6+. That's right; I got 99 gigs but an mp3 ain't on one.

This is what I'm currently rocking: iPhone 6+ 128 GB> iPhone Lightning Camera Kit>HRT Microstreamer DAC>AKG K 701 Headphones.

I mean I mostly listen to Weezer/Flaming Lips but I like my tunes at the highest quality haha that's why you'll catch me at the gym with those big rear end cans blasting away.

Some of you are saying that the iPhone has a great built in DAC but the DAC limits/downgrades the file quality due to its limitations, no?

On my MacAir I run Audirvana and the Microstreamer/Headphone combo. Fuckin love it.
Man you went way over the top for that lame joke dude, but i appreciate the effort

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am serious though that's my stuff

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

These days, MP3 encoders do pretty well, and AAC encoders even more. It's very unlikely that any encodings will contain really messy artifacts, unless you force it with silly settings during encoding. The files may as well just be the truth to you and me, if they're what you're going to listen to.

Agreed. I'm just saying ABX tests prove this, which is why "audiophiles" hate them. They can't stand people telling them they're wrong.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I am serious though that's my stuff

Appropriate custom title.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

ha nice try but I can def. tell a difference.

You can't tell the difference between FLAC and ALAC any more than you can tell the difference between a WAV that was once in a ZIP vs a RAR. They're lossless, that's the entire point. This isn't MP3 vs AAC here, the end result is literally identical.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sethsez posted:

You can't tell the difference between FLAC and ALAC any more than you can tell the difference between a WAV that was once in a ZIP vs a RAR. They're lossless, that's the entire point. This isn't MP3 vs AAC here, the end result is literally identical.

He's saying he can hear a difference between lossless and 360kbps lossy files. His purchases don't make a lot of sense, but this does. I can hear the difference (I just don't care) pretty easily. Whether I'd be able to identify which was compressed or lossless is another matter but I'd be able to hear a difference.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 14, 2014

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

GutBomb posted:

He's saying he can hear a difference between lossless and 360kbps lossy files. His purchases don't make a lot of sense, but this does. I can hear the difference (I just don't care) pretty easily. Whether I'd be able to identify which was compressed or lossless is another matter but I'd be able to hear a difference.

How's that psychoacoustic superiority complex working out for you?

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

You can use ALAC, which outputs bit-for-bit identical data as the original AIFF PCM file. iTunes sync works normally and the files will play in the normal music player with no third party apps required.

quote:

It does not. In fact, the iPhone DAC is better than most external DACs.

phongn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 14, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

GutBomb posted:

I can hear the difference (I just don't care) pretty easily.
Nah you can't.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Splendid, that makes it even funnier!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

phongn posted:

You can use ALAC, which outputs bit-for-bit identical data as the original AIFF PCM file. iTunes sync works normally and the files will play in the normal music player with no third party apps required.

It does not. In fact, the iPhone DAC is better than most external DACs.

This implies that you are likely to hear artifacts or noise introduced by most external DACs, which is not true. It may very well be possible that an iPhone's DAC is better constructed or has a higher SNR than many other DACs on the market (I do not know either way), but I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to ABX them.

Long story short: Unless you are hearing very obvious artifacts such as noise or hissing, your DAC is good enough. A $2K "Audiophile" DAC isn't going to magically make the snare drums more impactful or whatever.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 15, 2014

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

KillHour posted:

This implies that you are likely to hear artifacts or noise introduced by most external DACs, which is not true. It may very well be possible that an iPhone's DAC is better constructed or has a higher SNR than many other DACs on the market (I do not know either way), but I can guarantee you wouldn't be able to ABX them.
Well, of course. That's just a point in favor of using the built-in output stage unless you're running really high impedance headphones.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm not trying to be a dink but I have AIFF files I've bought from HDTracks.com that iTunes accepts but when I try to sync with my iPhone the phone won't accept them.

Are you saying if I convert the AIFF files to ALAC they'll sync and I'll literally lose no quality?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not trying to be a dink but I have AIFF files I've bought from HDTracks.com that iTunes accepts but when I try to sync with my iPhone the phone won't accept them.

Are you saying if I convert the AIFF files to ALAC they'll sync and I'll literally lose no quality?

Yes. They are both lossless formats; you'll lose no quality in the same way that a .PNG is identical in quality to a .BMP. It is a verifiable mathematical fact, as fundamental as 1+1=2. Anyone who argues that they can hear a difference is objectively wrong. It may sound like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't want to sound like I'm speaking figuratively or simplifying for the sake of the argument. The resulting waveforms are 100% identical.

Edit:

For proof, I took a .WAV file and used iTunes to import it as ALAC. I then imported both into Audacity and inverted the .WAV file (so the waveforms would cancel each other out). The only thing left is the differences between the tracks. When you play back the result, it's dead silent. The waveforms cancel each other out perfectly. You can see in this screenshot that the cursor is in a particularly loud section of the song, but nothing shows up on the VU meter.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 15, 2014

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks man.

Dude from HD tracks dot com told me ALAC wasn't as good as AIFF

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Has anyone here ever heard of an audiophile who was convinced he was full of poo poo and he actually believed it?

I'm hoping there's some guy out there with tens of thousands of dollars of equipment who is hitting himself in the head thinking wondering "what the hell?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks man.

Dude from HD tracks dot com told me ALAC wasn't as good as AIFF

Test it yourself. Audacity's free, and it can open both ALAC and AIFF with FFMpeg.

I'd upload a file of the difference, but it's literally a 9 minute track of dead silence.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

Test it yourself. Audacity's free, and it can open both ALAC and AIFF with FFMpeg.

I'd upload a file of the difference, but it's literally a 9 minute track of dead silence.

No I mean I believe you I'm just pissed that "expert" misinformed me when I asked him a direct question about media I paid for.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Yes. They are both lossless formats; you'll lose no quality in the same way that a .PNG is identical in quality to a .BMP. It is a verifiable mathematical fact, as fundamental as 1+1=2. Anyone who argues that they can hear a difference is objectively wrong. It may sound like I'm beating a dead horse, but I don't want to sound like I'm speaking figuratively or simplifying for the sake of the argument. The resulting waveforms are 100% identical.

Edit:

For proof, I took a .WAV file and used iTunes to import it as ALAC. I then imported both into Audacity and inverted the .WAV file (so the waveforms would cancel each other out). The only thing left is the differences between the tracks. When you play back the result, it's dead silent. The waveforms cancel each other out perfectly. You can see in this screenshot that the cursor is in a particularly loud section of the song, but nothing shows up on the VU meter.

Another way to prove this would be to do a checksum on both files. If even a single bit was changed during the conversion, the hashes would be different. However you'll notice each format will produce exactly the same value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

Another way to prove this would be to do a checksum on both files. If even a single bit was changed during the conversion, the hashes would be different. However you'll notice each format will produce exactly the same value.

The checksums will come out different because they are two different encoding schemes. Just like how a zip and a rar will have different checksums, even with the same contents.

Edit: Unless you mean convert both to a WAV file and do a checksum. That should come out the same.