Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Mackieman posted:

Anybody know where to get a good beer in Chengdu, craft or locally made? Thanks to this thread I found a place in Shanghai last year and it was great so I'm hoping someone has ideas for my trip next month.

The Beer Nest has a local brew on draft that's good. Place is a bit pricey for my cheap rear end, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mrgoodtrips posted:

The Beer Nest has a local brew on draft that's good. Place is a bit pricey for my cheap rear end, though.

Mmm, let's hear more about that rear end, mrgoodtrips.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

mrgoodtrips posted:

The Beer Nest is probably your best bet. Just down the street, across from Cafe Paname and Jellyfish (in the Blue Caribbean plaza 蓝色加勒比), there are a bunch of small bars that are mostly poo poo. But some of them have surprisingly large beer selections.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg Mackieman in Chengdu :swoon: Get drinks with Grand Fromage and report back in detail for my favorite international goons slash fanfiction :peanut:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

There used to be a bakery in Tongzilin run by two American women called Cakey Butta that did a thing where you pay like 100rmb and then get a bunch of imported craft beers. They also regularly stocked smaller Euro and US stuff to just buy. It was a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure they're still around.

As far as stuff brewed in town, the only bar that sells a lot of local stuff I know is a place called Hemp House near Dong Men Da Qiao. They generally have a locally brewed wheat beet, IPA, and cider that are all pretty OK. I'm not a big fan of the bar itself (more of a club with house music so loud no one can talk), but the beers they serve aren't bad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mrgoodtrips posted:

We were at beer nest a few weeks ago. Slightly pricey (draft beer was Y30-40) but the cheese fries were fantastic.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The only reason hemp house is still open is because it used to be the only place in chengdu to buy weed. 10 years later people just go because every once in awhile someone says "remember hemp house, we havent been there in forever"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arglebargle III posted:

We were at beer nest a few weeks ago. Slightly pricey (draft beer was Y30-40) but the cheese fries were fantastic.

They have deals regularly though, add them on Facebook to see. Usually one specific beer is half price every week and they have stuff like a burger/fries + draft for 60, which isn't bad at all. But yeah it's all pricier than getting a Tsingtao somewhere.

Finding any info about Chengdu in English is really hard. There are a couple of sites full of mostly useless stuff and forum posts from three years ago. Tough to figure out even where to start exploring.

peanut posted:

international goons slash fanfiction :peanut:

:gooncamp:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Go to Machu Pichu and ask the owner. He knows everything. And he's also a crazy dutchman so he's fun to hang out with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tom Smykowski posted:

Go to Machu Pichu and ask the owner. He knows everything. And he's also a crazy dutchman so he's fun to hang out with.

Where is that? I assume not Peru.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Its in the Yulin district, kinda near south 2nd ring road. The internet says the address is 芳华横街14号, its off I think Yulin Xi Lu.

They have a lot of folk music shows and stuff, too. Its a chill place when it isnt busy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Tom Smykowski posted:

Its in the Yulin district, kinda near south 2nd ring road. The internet says the address is 芳华横街14号, its off I think Yulin Xi Lu.

They have a lot of folk music shows and stuff, too. Its a chill place when it isnt busy.

They opened a new one this summer, it's alright. It's owned by an older Dutch guy and the atmosphere is a lot more relaxed than most other bars. They also have decent (for a bar in China) pizza.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I think his name is Hans? He's weird as gently caress but a fun guy.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Tom Smykowski posted:

I think his name is Hans? He's weird as gently caress but a fun guy.

He seemed like a nice dude. The location I went to was close to the Natooke bike shop. Was super empty but also early. Good place to drink Chimay and play fooseball. Unfortunately, I didn't stick around to see any bands play. I'm going to make it a mission to catch some shows here in town, preferably non-DJ sets. I thought the music scene was livelier, but I guess I need to dig around more.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

New Little Bar has shows all the time. Not always good ones, but a good place to meet people who know where the smaller shows are.

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013

Tom Smykowski posted:

New Little Bar has shows all the time. Not always good ones, but a good place to meet people who know where the smaller shows are.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I will buy beers for anyone who wants to hang out and tell me things about Chengdu.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Grand Fromage posted:

I will buy beers for anyone who wants to hang out and tell me things about Chengdu.

All I know is that I somehow convinced the project manager that it made more sense for us to stay at the St. Regis that opened last month rather than the Intercontinental that is out past the 2nd Ring Road because it's next door to the office we're working out of for the week. Beyond that, I'm tits on a bull.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Mackieman posted:

All I know is that I somehow convinced the project manager that it made more sense for us to stay at the St. Regis that opened last month rather than the Intercontinental that is out past the 2nd Ring Road because it's next door to the office we're working out of for the week. Beyond that, I'm tits on a bull.

Good! You don't want to stay in a hotel next to your office. That just leads to working 12 hour days and not venturing more than a km away.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

SB35 posted:

Good! You don't want to stay in a hotel next to your office. That just leads to working 12 hour days and not venturing more than a km away.

Hrm, perhaps I worded my post oddly. We are staying at the hotel next to the office. No worries about the 12 hour days though, it's mostly presentations on how to do stuff to the Chinese firm that my company partners with. We do a regular day, more or less, and then dinner somewhere usually with a push toward the local favorites. Looking forward to a bit of spice this go 'round. :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Enjoy eating hot pot every day (avoid doing this if possible).

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Enjoy eating hot pot every day (avoid doing this if possible).

I'm eating Hot Pot tonight. Been back here a whopping 36 hours, it's already been too long.

If you want to get beers this weekend lemme know.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Hey all, I'll be moving to China for half a year in 2 weeks! I'll be moving between the cities of Guangzhou, Hong Kong, and Changsha for the most part. Going to be doing marketing and sales consultation for a tech start up and will hopefully have some time to travel around. I've got things pretty much setup, phone, vpn, housing etc. Hopefully I won't want to kill myself by the end of this trip!

BTW, I tried joining the China Goon Wechat group chat, but on scanning the QR code I get a "Expired QR Code" message in response.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kill yourself before you leave. It'll save time and money.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

But the journey is as important as the destination! Plus i can sample 5000 years of culture and culinary history!

also poo

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I like how sometime in the past few months we hit a tipping point and now literally the entire thread has become even more jaded than I thought possible and hates everything about China and tells everyone who comes to not come/go away.

I mean I'm in there too, but I wonder if we hadn't lost properk if we'd be in this fix.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

I like how sometime in the past few months we hit a tipping point and now literally the entire thread has become even more jaded than I thought possible and hates everything about China and tells everyone who comes to not come/go away.

I mean I'm in there too, but I wonder if we hadn't lost properk if we'd be in this fix.

i like china

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Wait, how did he get banned for trolling in a troll thread?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i like china

Yeah tell me all about your "freedom", freedom man.

:allears:

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
edit; sorry

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Magna Kaser posted:

Yeah tell me all about your "freedom", freedom man.

:allears:

I really do like China though

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

I really do like China though

I like dumplings and that I don't need to drive.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

:agreed:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When I was in the countryside I could understand why people would like living in China, but now I'm back in the city staring out at ~1 kilometer visibility in this thick grey sludge that passes for air and getting ready for work because Saturday will be a workday for the whole country this week. The park near my neighborhood is weird and abandoned with broken glass and human feces in the bushes and a collapsing pavilion overlooking the drying-up lake under the high tension lines.

And this is probably the nicest city in China I've lived in or am likely to visit.

You could say we're all jaded but the Chinese are leaving in droves. Maybe we're just right.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 10, 2014

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

Good advice.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Magna Kaser posted:

I tried to get him to come back but he claims he's become more productive now. His lock picking business has soared I guess.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
"The world is your toilet."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm eating Hot Pot tonight. Been back here a whopping 36 hours, it's already been too long.

If you want to get beers this weekend lemme know.

I am in real China and therefore do not have a weekend, but next weekend I both do not have to work and will have gotten paid so I'm up for it.

I hate the area I live in but I like China so far. I do laugh every time I see a car accident though because everyone involved always deserves it.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Arglebargle III posted:

When I was in the countryside I could understand why people would like living in China, but now I'm back in the city staring out at ~1 kilometer visibility in this thick grey sludge that passes for air and getting ready for work because Saturday will be a workday for the whole country this week. The park near my neighborhood is weird and abandoned with broken glass and human feces in the bushes and a collapsing pavilion overlooking the drying-up lake under the high tension lines.

And this is probably the nicest city in China I've lived in or am likely to visit.

You could say we're all jaded but the Chinese are leaving in droves. Maybe we're just right.

Shenzhen sounds better than that, plus you're a nerd who loves to argue and complain about stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I know some Chinese people that like China and don't want to leave. Should I inform them they are wrong? After all, forums poster Arglebargle says he is correct re: disliking China.