Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oh my impression from the thread was that everyone in RB was spotted in a 3 or 6km radius of a plane regardless of camera/plane position or if other people are tagging them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I don't think I got Operation Norway..but Spain is going to be a massive pain in the rear end.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

loving :lol:, the Tigercat gets an airstart on Bulge.

e: holy poo poo the spotting mechanics suck.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 9, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wooper posted:

I kill 2 MiG-9s and an Il-28 BnZ me. I avoid his boom but then he zooms and shoots me with his turret.

This is probably the best post in this thread.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Il-28 is truly the peoples' hero.

e: also personally I don't care about the crew lockout because I've seen it all of like 5 times and usually with at most a minute or two left, but I think it's pretty funny that it took all of one patch for them to give up on their "it's to encourage more careful play and punish recklessness!!" spiel and move into "yeah whatever maybe we can make a bit of money off the one or two idiots who will pay reichesagles to buy their way out of lovely player jail".

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 9, 2014

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm playing my first new tank battle and I'm really liking it. Plane events are constant, but because it's only 2-3 on each side and only 1 bomber you never feel like you are totally hosed like you could sometimes before. The constant presence of planes means that SP-AA gets a fair chance to be both useful and get some points.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
That quote leaves out me being in a fuckin' prop plane.

F7F get airstart on Berlin.

A pack of 10 FW turning on the deck is completely unspottable until you go down there. Even FWs can kill in a 10v1.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wooper posted:

F7F get airstart on Berlin.

:eyepop::vince::eyepop::vince::eyepop::vince:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Sucking in a group is one of the most potent fighter tactics.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Woops posting levels are reaching critical mass

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alchenar posted:

I'm playing my first new tank battle and I'm really liking it. Plane events are constant, but because it's only 2-3 on each side and only 1 bomber you never feel like you are totally hosed like you could sometimes before. The constant presence of planes means that SP-AA gets a fair chance to be both useful and get some points.

The kill cam is really great. Being able to see the exact reason a bullshit oneshot did you in makes it much less frustrating.

New gun noises are primo also :tviv:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

I'm not even fake posting.

Red team bias is so loving strong this patch.

Seeing Japanese B-17s chasing down Mustangs is p funny tho.

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003

I climbed to attack some bombers, got shot down by the first bullet out of a B-17 that was 1.4km above me, and the match ended when I selected my next plane. Wonderful map.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Chasing an F7F for twenty minutes in my Ki-84. We reach space, he bails out. :shrug:

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Vadoc posted:

Tried holding down the brakes while throttling up?

I actually did try that. I throttled up to 60% to get the engine spooled up completely and start it heating up, then I throttle up little by little until the plane barely started crawling forward, and then throttle all the way and let off the brakes. I tried 3-4 different ways of taking off. One of them almost worked, actually managing to get my plane level on the ground (Involved not using flaps at all to get it to be level) but then the trees came. I think I will try that method again, except with the brakes to throttle up initially.

ALSO:

Is that some comic sans in my ww2 game

e:

Just tried taking off using brakes and no flaps until I was level. Barely managed to avoid the trees and took off.

Might be important to note that I am using "current" settings (Stock plane) and a full tank of gas in RB test flight.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 9, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Skwee posted:

ALSO:

If this is real there is no :eyepop: big enough

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Renaissance Robot posted:

New gun noises are primo also :tviv:

My aim with Japanese guns suddenly improved after hearing the cannons fire.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Skwee posted:

ALSO:

Hahha owns so hard

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

BBJoey posted:

Yes it is real. I was just looking at the cockpit view of the 229 and was like wtf is this poo poo

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The F82 gets an airstart. Also races are fun.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Skwee posted:

ALSO:

Hahaha :histdowns:

e/ I wonder if that Egyptian Airforce spit Vc uses papyrus

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 10, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Skwee posted:

Yes it is real. I was just looking at the cockpit view of the 229 and was like wtf is this poo poo

Where are the assholes who say games can't be art now, huh?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Gaijin puts out the patches pubbies deserve.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I was flying my S79 in an RB. Dropped my bombs, rolled my plane, and both wings immediately snapped off and went flying off into the aether. No more clown town S79.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Should have been Helvetica.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Need a mod replacing all fonts in German planes with Fraktur.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Why is Gaijin allergic to patching through Steam? Even with peerblock on, god drat, a 7 GB patch is way better when downloaded at 2.2 MB/Sec.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I've literally never been able to download a WT patch at more than 500kb/s while my internet gets disconnected every 5-10 minutes or so due to the massive connection and botnet spam. Meanwhile on steam I can put a constant 8Mb/s speed with no ill effects.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I've literally never been able to download a WT patch at more than 500kb/s while my internet gets disconnected every 5-10 minutes or so due to the massive connection and botnet spam. Meanwhile on steam I can put a constant 8Mb/s speed with no ill effects.

I'm lucky to pull 250 kb/sec. It's actually stopped me from giving them money before. I have no idea why they insist on the early 2000's launcher crap.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It's been a problem for what? 3 years? They just don't give a poo poo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It's been a problem for what? 3 years? They just don't give a poo poo.

The dumbest part is they push Star Conflict patches through the steam client. Steam bends over backwards to make updating large games cheaper and easier. Not caring is one thing, this is just actively, aggressively, loving stupid.

E:It is a fun game that I enjoy playing, I just don't want to spend all night not playing it/ANY OF MY OTHER GAMES so I can run their stupid launcher.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Russia.

Seriously though my 3mb connection downloads at 500kb/s at most on steam so for WT it feels like there is no difference... till it drops to 20kb.

Lipton Iced Soup
Sep 4, 2011

Menacing
Is it just me or did they reduce visibility again? Just had a couple FW-190's appear out of thin air a few hundred meters below me with my pilot being none the wiser.

Also the F7F is the epitome of pure speed goddamn.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

When I was still using a wireless connection I would have to actively move the computer over to the router and plug it in to keep the router from just giving up on life ten minutes into the patch and needing a restart before anything worked. Now that I have a better setup I only have to deal with the abysmal speed - 6 MB/s on Steam, 400 kB/s on Gaijin's stupid rear end Kazaa reskin.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Haven't played this game in a while, I think I played before research existed, certainly before tanks existed. Anything I should know about research? Looks like all my old planes and stuff are still there.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The dumbest part is they push Star Conflict patches through the steam client. Steam bends over backwards to make updating large games cheaper and easier. Not caring is one thing, this is just actively, aggressively, loving stupid.

E:It is a fun game that I enjoy playing, I just don't want to spend all night not playing it/ANY OF MY OTHER GAMES so I can run their stupid launcher.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > War Thunder - actively, aggressively, loving stupid

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Huh. So I've played only about 20 minutes since the patch, but this spotting mechanic does seem really loving dumb, and tends to reward people who just watch the radar only, and gently caress looking for dots? Or am I missing something?

edit: Also My Mustang does weird things now. Like flopping way more than it used to and surprise aileron rolls. It seems that the keyboard isn't a straight override of the mouse as much and you need to move the mouse with the keyboard to keep it from remembering where your mouse was halfway through a maneuver and spazzing out.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

mlmp08 posted:

Huh. So I've played only about 20 minutes since the patch, but this spotting mechanic does seem really loving dumb, and tends to reward people who just watch the radar only, and gently caress looking for dots? Or am I missing something?

edit: Also My Mustang does weird things now. Like flopping way more than it used to and surprise aileron rolls. It seems that the keyboard isn't a straight override of the mouse as much and you need to move the mouse with the keyboard to keep it from remembering where your mouse was halfway through a maneuver and spazzing out.

What did they do to the spotting mechanic?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Skwee posted:

What did they do to the spotting mechanic?
6km max and you can no longer spot anyone through your pubbies apparently? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Finding the last rear end in a top hat alive on the other team is going to be so much fun now.

• Locked thread