Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This thread...I don't know what's real anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
It's all real

real bad

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

hi liter posted:

Sure.

guitarman: Taken at my local farmer's market, I wanted to focus on the space in front of the guitarist, specifically his lack of an audience despite the relatively busy location. I chose an angle perpendicular to where the man was facing to draw attention to that space immediately in front of him. The idea of a musician with no audience seems kind of sad to me, so I applied a global desaturation to the photo.

runners: this was more or less a spur of the moment shot from walking around campus. Camera was out and on, saw them coming from down the road, and snapped as they ran by. The shot is cropped to put the runners in the center of the frame, relatively along the thirds. They looked like they had some fun having their picture snapped, and I wanted to draw attention to their faces. Runners are common enough but seeing three running in sync on a relatively open street felt like a semi-rare opportunity.

Guitarman: I'm not seeing the focus at all. The photo lacks anything that draws the eye and certainly not to the space where the people are. I'm also not seeing "relatively busy" or "sad" being conveyed in any way , especially not by the guitarist that we can't see the face of. The fact that you had to rely on some slight desaturation to tell the story is kind of telling.

Runners: It's just kind of boring. A lot of street photography that gets posted in this thread is just "hey I took this picture of this boring or at best mildly interesting thing on a street!" with very little thought to composition.

Bike and dress: Same problem, panning is cool technique to learn, but a cool technique only carries a picture so far when both the subject and scene is boring. And is a pink dress really so uncommon that it needs to be photographed?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Echoing Noghog, there's nothing specifically wrong with the processing, but it's not what's making the images ineffective. Street photography is very much an editor's game. If you're keeping shots you're unsure of, they aren't good.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 9, 2014

ape
Jul 20, 2009

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

try it with a lime posted:

Echoing Noghog, there's nothing specifically wrong with the processing, but it's not what's making the images ineffective. Street photography is very much an editor's game. If you're keeping shots you're unsure of, they aren't good.

Alright. I think I've definitely got a newbie :effort: thing going on. I'll keep shooting and hold off on processing for what, 2-3 weeks? Then I'll try and come share what I think are the best 2 shots from that. I read Eric Kim's thing on holding off processing but I'm too much of a feedback skank to wait longer than that I think.

edit: Also, I appreciate the feedback and comments. Two takeaways

1. Be pickier with my processing - shoot more, wait longer between processing
2. Be more patient for a :thumbsup:decisive moment :jerkbag:, less arbitrary snapping.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 9, 2014

Ark
Aug 20, 2000

hi liter posted:

1. Be pickier with my processing - shoot more, wait longer between processing
2. Be more patient for a :thumbsup:decisive moment :jerkbag:, less arbitrary snapping.

Seeings you've mention Eric Kim, he has a blog post about the 'Decisive Moment'. The way I see it is take as many photos as possible/you need to, then only share the decisive moment.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Ark posted:

Seeings you've mention Eric Kim, he has a blog post about the 'Decisive Moment'. The way I see it is take as many photos as possible/you need to, then only share the decisive moment.

That's a great post! Everyone should read this.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Eric Kim posted:

...to make a great photograph, you need to work the scene. You will never know when the “best” decisive moment will occur. In a scene, there are many different great potential “decisive moments”. You generally only know which is the best “decisive moment” afterwards in the editing phase.

Ok this seems to be a key concept/technique that I had not thought about.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ark posted:

This should be required reading.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Who is Eric Kim?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

He is a popular street photographer with an excellent blog. Lots of learning things there.

http://erickimphotography.com/
http://www.vice.com/read/we-talked-delayed-gratification-with-eric-kim

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

hi liter posted:

He is a popular street photographer with an excellent blog. Lots of learning things there.

http://erickimphotography.com/
http://www.vice.com/read/we-talked-delayed-gratification-with-eric-kim

His site has just completely ruined my afternoon. Work is not getting done now.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

VendaGoat posted:

This should be required reading.

He certainly sold me on a copy of magnum's contact sheets.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Being a strict self editor is really important. Some photographers even let their work sit for a few years before editing so that they are removed from the feelings they experienced while taking that photo allowing them to be more objective.

I just developed 2 rolls of film and nothing on either of them will be shared with anyone, now that can be frustrating.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Shellman posted:

He certainly sold me on a copy of magnum's contact sheets.

Shame it's ninety-loving dolars on amazon :(

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Primo Itch posted:

Shame it's ninety-loving dolars on amazon :(

I posted in the photo book thread about it. It's pretty sweet. And if you think about it, the price of the book is a mere fraction of what a lens or body costs, but it'll probably do more for your photography than some new glass.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Revisited a photo I was unsure of but actually like now.

20140921 Algodon_ by MedievalMedic, on Flickr

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

404notfound posted:

I posted in the photo book thread about it. It's pretty sweet. And if you think about it, the price of the book is a mere fraction of what a lens or body costs, but it'll probably do more for your photography than some new glass.

And you're supporting a photographer (or in this case Magnum I guess). It's always worth supporting a photographer that you think is loving awesome.

gently caress it, I'll post this here.

Untitled by Stabby McKnife, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Shellman posted:

And you're supporting a photographer (or in this case Magnum I guess). It's always worth supporting a photographer that you think is loving awesome.

Post more like that.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

Post more like that.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Yeah because we need more photos of people sitting behind their counter looking bored. The second one is marginally less boring than the first.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Shellman posted:

Croppin'

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Kind of vibe.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This is some good poo poo.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

This is some good poo poo.

Yup

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

further croppin, that lamp at the top was makin me mad

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

That sign is awesome. I'd like to see that reshot with no cars or people.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

Thanks. I did take a few more shots from different angles. I thought this one worked as well:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Awkward Davies posted:

That sign is awesome. I'd like to see that reshot with no cars or people.

:agreed:, the texture on the white wall and the hard colors on the sign are great

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

feigning interest posted:

Thanks. I did take a few more shots from different angles. I thought this one worked as well:

I approve.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

wasn't really aggressive today in my street photography attempts today, i think this guy turned out to be the only subject i walked away feeling okay about

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Bit of an aggressive crop, but I still dig it.

Boredom by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Rusty Scupper by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 13, 2014

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Why?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

You could say that about 99% of the poo poo on here.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, but I'm asking you. What led you to post that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

Yeah, but I'm asking you. What led you to post that?

Because it wasn't an oscar meyer truck filling up at a gas station. Figured anything had to be better than that.