Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really cannot understand the concept of spending that much for cat pee smellin' wires just because a) old b) gibson

Gonna start up an store, scavenge old wire out of goodwill electronics, write GIBSON on it and sell it with the following slogan

unlawfulsoup posted:

Sometimes the old wires are the best wires.

Hello retirement at 35

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Code Jockey posted:

Hello retirement at 35

Haha, you think you would live long enough to retire. Back to the plow, that field won't till itself serf.

White Dog Eggs posted:

"Hey, you know that guitar you were building for me? Well I just brought an Epi Explorer with EMG's so now I'm broke. The guitar is nearly finished right? So you can probably sell it soon, does that mean I can have my deposit back?"

"This guitar worked fine at yours but now I'm home it's not working, did you just loving gyp me? I'll come over there and beat the poo poo out of the you loving gyppo bastard, I bet you don't rip off those loving jungle-bunny musicans I met at yours". Idiot had turned the volume knob all the way down.

"I want oil capacitors for a sweet tone"

"Gibson glue isn't like normal wood glue, it's specially chosen for it tonal properties, it says so on the website!"

The "vintage wiring" guy was the best, pretty sure I've typed that up once before though.

What is it about audio equipment (audiophiles, musicians, and all their ilk) that makes people shut off the rational side of their brain so much. I was at GC getting some strings and I overheard two nerds getting into an argument about locking tuners ruining tone. Tone glue? Honestly I would love some of these people to participate in a double blind test with any of these things to be proven the complete fools that they are. Of course, they would never ever admit they are wrong because this is more of a religion for them than anything else.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 9, 2014

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

White Dog Eggs posted:

The angry racist guy was funny because he left that as a voicemail which I then played to some other people out of the band he was in (the bassist and drummer, I think). He got booted-out and apparently the vocalist beat the poo poo out of him then chucked his shoes in the river.

That's such a delightfully weird climax.

Spanish Manlove posted:

honestly, restringing a floyd is easy so long as you remember the one rule of floyds: you're its bitch.

Do one string at a time, use the exact same brand/gauge of strings, and be patient.

As I was harshly reminded recently, intonating a floyd is when you're hit smack in the face with a stern reminder that you are indeed its bitch.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And these people have the temerity to get offended when Scott Grove calls them loving morons.

I believe the correct term is, "Dumb mother fucker".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dirt posted:

Tremolos are dumb unless you are Jeff Beck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG9esxpAUP0

that divebomb. theory busted. :colbert:

also jeff beck sucks. not as much as clapton, but at least as much as joe walsh

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

And these people have the temerity to get offended when Scott Grove calls them loving morons.

Grove is just an offensive 'that guitar guy', regardless of him usually being right.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Clitch posted:

Grove is just an offensive 'that guitar guy', regardless of him usually being right.

I think he is insufferable, but then again anyone who wants to listen to some nobody talking down to his audience deserves exactly what they get.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Code Jockey posted:

I really cannot understand the concept of spending that much for cat pee smellin' wires just because a) old b) gibson

Gonna start up an store, scavenge old wire out of goodwill electronics, write GIBSON on it and sell it with the following slogan
Too much competition in vintage wire. Get in early on the new industry in vintage solder. Make up some poo poo about prewar solder being made before the first nuclear tests so less radiation in it blah blah tone tone tone bitches.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Spanish Manlove posted:

they're not as good as two fulcrum trems and like to go out of tune if you do anything harder than a light vibrato on them
Rubbish.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
bigsby good
floyd rose bad

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Cartoon posted:

Rubbish.

More contact points on a floating string suspension = more places to hang and gently caress up your tuning.

Name a reason to favor a six screw trem over a 2-point that isn't some form of "That's how it was back in the day, so it's obviously better."

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

SubG posted:

Too much competition in vintage wire. Get in early on the new industry in vintage solder. Make up some poo poo about prewar solder being made before the first nuclear tests so less radiation in it blah blah tone tone tone bitches.

Man as much as this is snake oil stuff, I know a guy looking into cryo freezing tubes and I can't help but think that's pretty drat awesome, if not for TONEZ then for the life span of the tube being increased, in theory.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Clitch posted:

More contact points on a floating string suspension = more places to hang and gently caress up your tuning.

Name a reason to favor a six screw trem over a 2-point that isn't some form of "That's how it was back in the day, so it's obviously better."
Not what I'm saying. Two point is definitely better, but the six screw system can be used for utterly insane trem action without any serious tuning issues. Certainly going well beyond a 'light vibrato':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHlODWd4GeM&t=84s

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Jedrick posted:

bigsby good
floyd rose bad

is that mastery tele bridge any good, i've heard it's not really worth getting because the original is perfectly fine

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
a Breadwinner and a Flying V had a baby. It was an inbred stillborn:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Guitar-/131318240525

"Set up left handed could be right
Nice sound
Duncan Seymour pick up
Very original guitar
Had it made up
So one off nice condition"

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
The guitar for people who crave pickguard.

Also, I am not sure why but something really really bothers me about single pickup guitars. I know Esquires and Melody Makers tend to get by with one, but it just irks me. Like you live in North Korea or a former Soviet republic and all you get is one pickup. :colbert:

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 10, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

unlawfulsoup posted:

The guitar for people who crave pickguard.

Also, I am not sure why but something really really bothers me about single pickup guitars. I know Esquires and Melody Makers tend to get by with one, but it just irks me. Like you live in North Korea or a former Soviet republic and all you get is one pickup. :colbert:
An archtop with a single Charlie Christian pickup is classy as gently caress.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cartoon posted:

Not what I'm saying. Two point is definitely better, but the six screw system can be used for utterly insane trem action without any serious tuning issues. Certainly going well beyond a 'light vibrato':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHlODWd4GeM&t=84s

Richie Blackmore doesn't count.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.musicswopshop.com.au/stock?search=MSS+29125

Should I buy this?

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

darkwasthenight posted:

Did someone say vintage wiring? Here's the Honda Soundworks Spice pedal:

Gives you that real cool vintage tone without having to fiddle around with settings and it's a guaranteed limited edition due to rare components. Let's have a gutshot shall we?

Authentic vintage wire straight out of a 60's mixing desk. Sounding like Hendrix alllll day for the low low price of several hundred dollars. Only one I could find for sale was on a Korean site at $300+ if you would believe it.

Pretty sure HSW had tongues so far in their cheeks they were sticking out their ears but people were claiming to have bought them and briefly led to TGP having an unironic discussion regarding the merits of vintage wire. I've also seen the 'Bakelite pickguards sound better than plastic' argument on there more times than I wish to remember.

I.... I almost want one.

Allen Wren posted:

The comeuppance is great, but having one's shoes thrown in the river sounds like such an 18th-century-style upbraiding. "Levi spake harsh words to Bartholomew last night, and Bartholomew threw Levi's shoes off into the river."

One of the main music pubs here is about a 2 minute walk from a river, I guess it all kicked off outside there. The guy looked like a stereotypical slapheaded Pantera fan and wore these massive Dr Martens boots, so there is probably about £200 worth of footwear at the bottom of that river.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

As I was harshly reminded recently, intonating a floyd is when you're hit smack in the face with a stern reminder that you are indeed its bitch.

Floyd's are one of the few pieces of guitar hardware that haven't been copied 100% perfectly. The genuine (non-licensed) ones are made out of hardened steel that doesn't wear out at all, all the copies I've seen are made out of softer stuff. The genuine ones are loving expensive though, the cheapest I can get one is is £170 and that's at wholesale, I think retail is about £220 for a standard one at the moment, oddly the low profile ones were a little cheaper.

Clitch posted:

A lot of the older guys I work with end up with a really similar attitude, I guess playing music at a professional level for a few years just makes you super-cynical. They tend to make the best customers though (they know what they want and actually pay in cash, plus if they like the work they spread the word), so it's all good.

I just brought some guitar lessons off Scott Grove's website as my playing is loving terrible. They were pretty cheap and they seem to be pretty well received, so we'll see.

Fair Hallion posted:

a Breadwinner and a Flying V had a baby. It was an inbred stillborn:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Left-Handed-Guitar-/131318240525

"Set up left handed could be right
Nice sound
Duncan Seymour pick up
Very original guitar
Had it made up
So one off nice condition"

Haha, that's foul. Seriously considering bidding though as I could probably sell that for less than it would go for on ebay.

Yes.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

White Dog Eggs posted:

Floyd's are one of the few pieces of guitar hardware that haven't been copied 100% perfectly. The genuine (non-licensed) ones are made out of hardened steel that doesn't wear out at all, all the copies I've seen are made out of softer stuff. The genuine ones are loving expensive though, the cheapest I can get one is is £170 and that's at wholesale, I think retail is about £220 for a standard one at the moment, oddly the low profile ones were a little cheaper.

Yeah you gotta spring for the real deal, and maybe that's why everyone seems to hate them or they're just used to the lovely Ibanez knockoffs. I replaced the licensed one on my pointy Jackson about 20 years ago and apart from the metal on the bridge lock screws turning dull it's still like new. Once you get it set up and intonated you never have to worry about it again. The strings will die long before it ever drifts out of tune.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Some guy in a regional gear swap facebook group I'm in posted a listing. Selling 3 schecters.
Someone responds. "do you entertain trades?"

"Other schecters".

:stare:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Schecter guitars are really nice if you can get past their dorky metal reputation and ugly inays on some models .

Especially used ones. They have poo poo for resale value, so you can find used ones for dirt cheap.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am cool with schechter guitars because for $10 at GC I got a really nice case that took like 2 minutes of modifying to fit my Strat.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Someone mentioned Richie Kotzen, so I had to look him up. Is this the most clichéd wiki page for a guitarist? Especially this section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Kotzen#Guitar_playing_style

:rolleyes:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am cool with schechter guitars because for $10 at GC I got a really nice case that took like 2 minutes of modifying to fit my Strat.

I have one of their hybrid Soft/HSC for my Bass VI and it fits like a loving glove. :catstare:

As for Schecter, our bass player gave me his "Diamond Series Deluxe-4" bass for a week or two to try out my bass rig. I guess I'll see how I like them since I've never played any of their lines.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

White Dog Eggs posted:

Pretty much this. Try arranging the springs like this (maybe have the claw a little closer to the body than in this picture);

If you've only got two springs, get some more. They are piss cheap off ebay.

Also get a pencil (soft point works best) and pencil graphite into the bridge saddles, the graphite acts like a lubricant and reduces tension.

I opened the back and the springs were set like the picture so I moved them parallel to each other. I had to unwind the screws quite a lot to be able to move the springs so I have spent about the last 2 hours getting it to float and have the strings in tune with each other at the same time.
Between moving the springs and putting some new strings on it seems to have done the job thanks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fumble posted:

I opened the back and the springs were set like the picture so I moved them parallel to each other. I had to unwind the screws quite a lot to be able to move the springs so I have spent about the last 2 hours getting it to float and have the strings in tune with each other at the same time.
Between moving the springs and putting some new strings on it seems to have done the job thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQlXNH36mI

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Despite the, "LORD MERCY PLEASE!" feeling intonating two knock of Floyd's brought me a fortnight ago I'm now in widdly widdly heaven. Still in tune. :D

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fumble posted:

It's nice to see my lovely advice wasn't too damaging then. I swear my IQ drops a few points when I'm working.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Heh. I had that exact Millenium Falcon model kit, when I was a kid.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Lord Vader, we have located the rebel bass

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am sure in concerts you can yell 'punch it chewie' while you swell the volume up.

Assuming one ever took it out of mom's basement.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Fair Hallion posted:

Lord Vader, we have located the rebel bass
:golfclap:

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

unlawfulsoup posted:

I am sure in concerts you can yell 'punch it chewie' while you swell the volume up.

the star wars tribute band, featuring han "solo"

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
I had a great idea for the TONEZ knob so I modified the STL to give it a try. I suck with like any CAD since I'm a CS/electronics person.

Now I just have to wait for a time at work I can print it that no one will see what the hell I'm up to, since we run camps with kids and I don't need to deal with a kid coming in to seeing that.

I don't want to give it away but let's just say I'll be replacing something that a lot of goons don't like.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

unlawfulsoup posted:

You laugh but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCgQiW2gLhk.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

booshi posted:

I had a great idea for the TONEZ knob so I modified the STL to give it a try. I suck with like any CAD since I'm a CS/electronics person.

Now I just have to wait for a time at work I can print it that no one will see what the hell I'm up to, since we run camps with kids and I don't need to deal with a kid coming in to seeing that.

I don't want to give it away but let's just say I'll be replacing something that a lot of goons don't like.

Pokerchip?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Sockington posted:

Pokerchip?

pog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

ThePutty posted:

is that mastery tele bridge any good, i've heard it's not really worth getting because the original is perfectly fine

Never tried one myself, but they seem like a good(read: bad) way to waste $180. I could be biased though, I'm not a fan of teles (to play that is, they look amazing).

• Locked thread