Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

There a hilarious post on rerolled by some old Everquest guild member documenting Brad's behavior in the end days of the game, as his team started to leave for greener pastures. You can find it here (unfortunately, linking directly to a post on rerolled appears to be broken).

quote:

:words:

:psyduck:

Hum. Now I remember playing EQ back in '99, and unless I'm forgetting something, the armor in the game all had a fixed appearance based on your Race/Sex and the Armor Type, with the only real variation being the color, right? I know some robes had unique textures, but the only visual difference between Rubicant Plate Mail, Bronze Plate Mail and Regular Plate Mail was the color tint.

Which means he had a grand total of maybe 12 different outfits to pop in and say "HOW DO I LOOK?" with, ones that everybody has already seen on every other Male Human model. But hey, I quit during Kunark so maybe there's a bunch of fancy shmancy unique looking armor I missed out on.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

i am tim! posted:

Which means he had a grand total of maybe 12 different outfits to pop in and say "HOW DO I LOOK?" with, ones that everybody has already seen on every other Male Human model. But hey, I quit during Kunark so maybe there's a bunch of fancy shmancy unique looking armor I missed out on.
No, that's pretty much it. Pre-Luclin armor didn't even really look like anything but slightly shiny colored poo poo because it was just a texture. After that maybe there was some cool stuff but I think that would've been long past the time being discussed there.

Parafin
Jul 11, 2013

Oh yes, Georgie, they float. They all float down here.

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO! YAY! :3

<3 now gimme a herring <3

Node posted:

Just going with Brad's name alone I'd rather play this than EQN.
Never forget, Node. Never forget.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Well, now we have a good idea of the true depths of his self-centeredness and lack of self-esteem.

... Cripes, that's kinda sad now that I think about it.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Nakar posted:

No, that's pretty much it. Pre-Luclin armor didn't even really look like anything but slightly shiny colored poo poo because it was just a texture. After that maybe there was some cool stuff but I think that would've been long past the time being discussed there.

Nothin special about post luclin armor either. Although I do recall maybe right after luclin or pop there were some extravagant looking helms in game, but either they removed them or it only drops in old content bc when I played on test it all looked the same.

Am I misremembering or does anyone know?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Hell one of the selling points for the epic 1.0 weapons was that they actually had unique models.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Velius had new armor and maybe a new helm?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Parafin posted:

Never forget, Node. Never forget.

I've tried.

Although I would still rather play this than EQN, that part still holds true. It is already more entertaining.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The only thread better than this in MMO HMO currently is the ARcheage thread, but man. This "game". :allears:

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Threw some models I bought into the game engine I bought with the mountain designer I bought... yeah gently caress YOU we don't need to create assets to appease you churls, you don't even pay $15 a month to post on our forums :shepface:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

There a hilarious post on rerolled by some old Everquest guild member documenting Brad's behavior in the end days of the game, as his team started to leave for greener pastures. You can find it here (unfortunately, linking directly to a post on rerolled appears to be broken).
[:laffo: story]

:psyduck:
This makes me hopeful he was bent out of shape over how this thread went down. I'd like to think we contributed to Pantheon's failure by hurting his (apparently) fragile self esteem, but he seemed pretty likely to fail on his own.

We can take the consolation prize though: probably making him up is drug intake, which depleted his drug Pantheon funds faster than expected.

Where's Pantheon Kickstarter 2: Drug Money Redo? Thought he said in "like eight months" after the first one failed miserably.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

Eonwe posted:

The only thread better than this in MMO HMO currently is the ARcheage thread, but man. This "game". :allears:

I dunno man, the WildStar thread has been an excellent source of MMO Dev schadenfreude. It's not quite to the depths of this game, but as far as launched projects go it really takes the cake!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

i am tim! posted:

I dunno man, the WildStar thread has been an excellent source of MMO Dev schadenfreude. It's not quite to the depths of this game, but as far as launched projects go it really takes the cake!

I haven't been following WildStar and now I'm curious, can you offer some details? I enjoy reading train-wrecks.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mayor McCheese posted:

I haven't been following WildStar and now I'm curious, can you offer some details? I enjoy reading train-wrecks.

The pre-release devs made what could have been a potentially popular game given it's aesthetics and then decided to poo poo it up with a horrible end game filled with insanely tedious content pandering to the grognardiest of wannabe hardcore raiding types.

Said horribleness includes:

- An attunement chart to get into the end game (Which is primarily hyper-grognardy raiding that even the hardest of hardcore raiding guilds have given up on by now.) that's so hosed that it chased off what appears to be 70 percent or more of the playerbase

- Game breaking bugs out the rear end that somehow made it over from the PTR. Also PTR somehow hosed the live servers when they loaded something to it. I don't know the details but it sounded amazingly stupid.

- Overlooked inconsistencies that lead to PVP becoming a win trading affair that locked out new players due to the gear gap. This was partially because their pandering to a rose colored ideal of the vanilla WoW days lead to them putting some raid tier weaponry in PVP. Cue every raiding guild win trading and then turning around and crushing people who played legitimately. Which is another strike against stat based progression in PVP I guess.

- A content deficient end game that only had mindless instancing as an incentive. Don't want to raid or instance? Get hosed cupcake.

- Probably other stuff i've forgotten.

Then to top it all off their treatment of the hardcore raiding community (which was their principle base they were pandering too) was absolutely terrible. For instance, one example of their treatment included a bug that reset the ghastly attunement process so that you were un-attuned and couldn't even get re-attuned again.

Instead of fixing the characters Carbines response to this was to say "lol roll a new char" and offer to give the characters afflicted by this bug a 10% XP increase in a game that has a terribly slow leveling process. Incidentally at least one of the people afflicted by this bug was the leader of one of those hardcore raiding guilds I mentioned. I don't think they stuck around after that.

The people in charge of the project also kept doing some rather insulting PR moves (Of the "YOU AREN'T HARDCORE ENOUGH FOR THIS GAME CUPCAKE!" variety.) until they "resigned" a few weeks ago. At which point the state of the game is up in the air for now.

One of the employees of Carbine posts in the thread and is assuring people they're working on the gameplay issues, but most people just spend time in the thread poo poo posting now out of a lack of good faith. Which Carbine has admittedly probably earned at this point.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2014

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Archonex posted:

The pre-release devs made what could have been a potentially popular game given it's aesthetics and then decided to poo poo it up with a horrible end game filled with insanely tedious content pandering to the grognardiest of wannabe hardcore raiding types

Said horribleness includes:

- An attunement chart to get into the end game (Which is primarily hyper-grognardy raiding that even the hardest of hardcore raiding guilds have given up on by now.) that's so hosed that it chased off what appears to be 70 percent or more of the playerbase

- Game breaking bugs out the rear end that somehow made it over from the PTR. Also PTR somehow hosed the live servers when they loaded something to it. I don't know the details but it sounded amazingly stupid.

- Overlooked inconsistencies that lead to PVP becoming a win trading affair that locked out new players due to the gear gap. This was partially because their pandering to a rose colored ideal of the vanilla WoW days lead to them putting some raid tier weaponry in PVP. Cue every raiding guild win trading and then turning around and crushing people who played legitimately. Which is another strike against stat based progression in PVP I guess.

- A content deficient end game that only has mindless instancing as an incentive. Don't want to raid or instance? Get hosed cupcake.

- Probably other stuff i've forgotten.

Then to top it all off their treatment of the hardcore raiding community (which was their principle base they were pandering too) was absolutely terrible. For instance, one example of their treatment included a bug that reset the ghastly attunement process so that you were un-attuned and couldn't even get re-attuned again.

Carbine's response to this was to say "lol roll a new char" and offer to give the characters afflicted by this bug a 10% XP increase in a game that has a terribly slow leveling process instead of fixing the characters. Incidentally at least one of the people afflicted by this bug was the leader of one of those hardcore raiding guilds I mentioned. I don't think they stuck around after that.

The people in charge of the project kept doing some rather insulting PR moves (Of the "YOU AREN'T HARDCORE ENOUGH FOR THIS GAME CUPCAKE!" variety.) until they "resigned" a few weeks ago in response to the reactions to this. At which point the state of the game is up in the air for now.

One of the employees of Carbine posts in the thread and is assuring people they're working on the gameplay issues, but most people just spend time in the thread poo poo-posting now out of a lack of good faith. Which Carbine has admittedly probably earned at this point.

The wildstar thread is hillarious. Almost as hillarious as this.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

iminers posted:

The wildstar thread is hillarious. Almost as hillarious as this.

It's also true.

Oh, and I forgot that this was mentioned in the thread. The raid designers apparently were looking at the raids at one point like Nethack's dev looks at anyone winning the game. They upped the difficulty of at least one boss so that they were next to impossible (The one or two guilds that are even able to try it said it's actually impossible, last I checked.) when a guild finally managed to beat them.

It wasn't even the last boss either. I think they were like 3/9 or something on the total number of them. The whole thing is hilariously hosed. Though at least they claim they're working to improve it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 10, 2014

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are a few key things about wildstar's PVE endgame:

- Adventures are really boring and terrible but the medal system made gold-medaling them the best way to grind out pre-raid epic gear in the game. So people were running them constantly but the different goals people had (just finish it at all for blue gear, for people who just hit 50, silver medaling for the attunement, gold medaling it for people trying to gear up to raid) created a ton of totally-forseeable friction.
- The dungeons are tough and you have to progress on them like a raid which wouldn't be AWFUL except that you also had to time-trial it to complete the attunement step and at launch the only good gear out of them came from gold medaling or completing gold medal challenges. Which means after they toned adventure rewards way-the-gently caress down to get higher-geared players out of them and reduce friction, the pre-raid process was basically "progressing" on dungeons while receiving zero gear. And "that guy" who fucks up boss fights half the time just could not get attuned because he would gently caress at least one thing up over the course of the dungeon and kill the timed run.
- Most of your stats came not from gear but from the runes you plugged into them, which meant that the most important part of gear was what slots it spawned with, and both the type and number were random. The top-tier guilds were running around in crafted gear last I saw because (A) you could optimize a single damage-related stat in crafted gear beyond the point that drops actually had, and (B) you could grind out a particular slot configuration, so guilds were also not getting ear upgrades from the raids.
- Also rune components were incredibly rare and a full set of runes cost several months worth of play time.
- The raids were apparently really cool, but they got cooler the further you got and were basically wow heroic raid difficulty, which means most people didn't get far. At the time I stopped playing something like 250 guilds worldwide had killed a boss in the first raid- that probably got inflated after the attunements were nerfed, but not by much because most players had left by then. Also of those 250 guilds almost all of them were stuck on the second boss (the first boss was described by players a "welcome hug" that was easier than some dungeon bosses).
- Worst of all, the game was just buggy, and they always introduced more bugs than fixes in every patch. There were also some uhhhhh "repeat offenders". Basically every update broke the medic's main damage ability in some form or fashion and there were a couple other things like that. I remember one time the guy responsible for the fix explained that they actually knew about the bug before it went out and he checked in a fix, but uh... couldn't explain why it didn't go live. Someone must have forgotten to put it in the build. Oops. My favorite WildStar thing was when I asked in the thread why they didn't just turn off attunements already until they could "fix" them and then they could get it out tonight. Cyster explained in the thread that they had to test, that they weren't going to leave anything up to chance by just turning off attunements, that they were going to do everything right and not allow big bugs to go out with this release, it was too important.

So they finally released the attunement change (they didn't remove the dungeon step, but rather reduced the requirement to completing each dungeon with optionals, rather than the time trial), along with a bunch of un-asked for class balancing changes that they hadn't communicated to the community beforehand and were largely regarded as a bad idea. Bugs in that release:

- If you had killed world bosses prior to beginning the world boss step of the attunement, the world boss step became uncompletable.
- Two separate bugs that I can't remember the details of but made medic DPS unplayable were added. One of these was known about beforehand but hadn't been included in the build. Again. Oops.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

30.5 Days posted:

There are a few key things about wildstar's PVE endgame:

- Adventures are really boring and terrible but the medal system made gold-medaling them the best way to grind out pre-raid epic gear in the game. So people were running them constantly but the different goals people had (just finish it at all for blue gear, for people who just hit 50, silver medaling for the attunement, gold medaling it for people trying to gear up to raid) created a ton of totally-forseeable friction.
- The dungeons are tough and you have to progress on them like a raid which wouldn't be AWFUL except that you also had to time-trial it to complete the attunement step and at launch the only good gear out of them came from gold medaling or completing gold medal challenges. Which means after they toned adventure rewards way-the-gently caress down to get higher-geared players out of them and reduce friction, the pre-raid process was basically "progressing" on dungeons while receiving zero gear. And "that guy" who fucks up boss fights half the time just could not get attuned because he would gently caress at least one thing up over the course of the dungeon and kill the timed run.
- Most of your stats came not from gear but from the runes you plugged into them, which meant that the most important part of gear was what slots it spawned with, and both the type and number were random. The top-tier guilds were running around in crafted gear last I saw because (A) you could optimize a single damage-related stat in crafted gear beyond the point that drops actually had, and (B) you could grind out a particular slot configuration, so guilds were also not getting ear upgrades from the raids.
- Also rune components were incredibly rare and a full set of runes cost several months worth of play time.
- The raids were apparently really cool, but they got cooler the further you got and were basically wow heroic raid difficulty, which means most people didn't get far. At the time I stopped playing something like 250 guilds worldwide had killed a boss in the first raid- that probably got inflated after the attunements were nerfed, but not by much because most players had left by then. Also of those 250 guilds almost all of them were stuck on the second boss (the first boss was described by players a "welcome hug" that was easier than some dungeon bosses).
- Worst of all, the game was just buggy, and they always introduced more bugs than fixes in every patch. There were also some uhhhhh "repeat offenders". Basically every update broke the medic's main damage ability in some form or fashion and there were a couple other things like that. I remember one time the guy responsible for the fix explained that they actually knew about the bug before it went out and he checked in a fix, but uh... couldn't explain why it didn't go live. Someone must have forgotten to put it in the build. Oops. My favorite WildStar thing was when I asked in the thread why they didn't just turn off attunements already until they could "fix" them and then they could get it out tonight. Cyster explained in the thread that they had to test, that they weren't going to leave anything up to chance by just turning off attunements, that they were going to do everything right and not allow big bugs to go out with this release, it was too important.

So they finally released the attunement change (they didn't remove the dungeon step, but rather reduced the requirement to completing each dungeon with optionals, rather than the time trial), along with a bunch of un-asked for class balancing changes that they hadn't communicated to the community beforehand and were largely regarded as a bad idea. Bugs in that release:

- If you had killed world bosses prior to beginning the world boss step of the attunement, the world boss step became uncompletable.
- Two separate bugs that I can't remember the details of but made medic DPS unplayable were added. One of these was known about beforehand but hadn't been included in the build. Again. Oops.

Exscuse me kind sir, this thread is about brad mcquaids raging drug problem and his amazing mmo hes coming out with. Please stay on topic. 😀

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I thought it was about his bigoted hyper-religious co-workers and his spiraling descent into coke-fueled madness and depression.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
I enjoyed that minor derail. Thank you, sirs!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh, and two last things: the game had this thing where you had to find and use items to get access to spending points on certain talents. The main DPS talent for one of the classes was a super-rare world drop that at one point was going for like 3 or 4 months of playtime. Once they fixed that they also introduced a bug around the same time that caused it to make it so that you couldn't know when your abilities came off cooldown. The client would visually show a cooldown, but that cooldown was wrong.

EDIT: That bug persisted for over a month.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 10, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Basically just imagine what would have happened if Brad had actually gotten Pantheon out the door.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Archonex posted:

So basically just imagine what would have happened if Brad had actually gotten Pantheon out the door.

Low blow, low blow!

Archonex
May 2, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Low blow, low blow!

You're right. That's a pretty big insult to Wildstar.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm happy with this derail, as I haven't kept up with the WS thread (and no way am I going to try to), but this validates my pre-release decision to give it a pass, while at the same time enjoying the ongoing saga of this most amazing "Pantheon - Brad's meth fueled dream", thread.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Excuse me, please keep this thread on topic. We are talking about the various aspects of Brad McQuaid's personality here.

And Pantheon too I guess.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Node posted:

Excuse me, please keep this thread on topic. We are talking about the various aspects of Brad McQuaid's personality here.

And Pantheon too I guess.

your the best. Keep on keeping on, follower.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All we need is for Garriots game to be cancelled and the trifecta will be complete. :science:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Rime posted:

All we need is for Garriots game to be cancelled and the trifecta will be complete. :science:

The thing about Shroud of the Avatar is that you can actually play it

Who is the third element in this trifecta?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Node posted:

The thing about Shroud of the Avatar is that you can actually play it

Who is the third element in this trifecta?

Star Citizen.

The actual product is highly unlikely to be delivered as promised.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Archonex posted:

Star Citizen.

The actual product is highly unlikely to be delivered as promised.

Oh, I figured it was something MMORPG related. Portalarium actually releases regular builds of SotA and is making significant progress, which is more than you can say about Pantheon or Star Citizen at least.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

Oh, I figured it was something MMORPG related. Portalarium actually releases regular builds of SotA and is making significant progress, which is more than you can say about Pantheon or Star Citizen at least.

SotA is to Pantheon what Elite: Dangerous is to Star Citizen

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Byolante posted:

For this comparision to work, Pantheon would have to get a giant pile of cash from kickstarter and then have retarded nerds keep throwing money at Brad 24/7.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Byolante posted:

They're charging people real money for poo poo like horses that may or may not ever make it into the real game, so SotA is more like Star Citizen to Star Citizens Star Citizen, with all the unity hilarity of Pantheon (but less drugs and bigotry).

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Nah Croberts probably has a huge pool filled with coke by now, and there's plenty of bigotry to go around in the 'verse.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Rime posted:

They're charging people real money for poo poo like horses that may or may not ever make it into the real game, so SotA is more like Star Citizen to Star Citizens Star Citizen, with all the unity hilarity of Pantheon (but less drugs and bigotry).

SotA has two vices, one being the billions of loving preorder microtransactions. The other is the recent ability to pay for them with buttcoins.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Node posted:

SotA has two vices, one being the billions of loving preorder microtransactions. The other is the recent ability to pay for them with buttcoins.

Well, he did say they were charging people real money. End the Fed, Ron Paul 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think what gamers should be taking away from any and all kickstarter failures is that those 'evil' companies that force developers to get poo poo done are necessary. Otherwise devs will just dick around and blow all their money.

• Locked thread