Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

kujeger posted:

If I'm reading your post right, this should do it:

code:
s/^,/'newthing',/
edit:unless you wanted column A and B to now contain the same information, in which case (using perl, since I'm no sed master) you could do
code:
perl -pe "s/^,('.+?')/\$1,\$1/"
in any case, the character '^' significes the beginning of a line.

See, I knew there'd be an easy representation for new lines in sed.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Bob Morales posted:

why not just install another VM and use kubuntu?

Because installing a second desktop environment should be much quicker? Also, I'd like to know why it isn't working.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hooah posted:

Also, I'd like to know why it isn't working.

:haw:

On a more serious note, Ubuntu is using LightDM, isn't it? From what I can tell, you have a few options that you could try first. As per this wiki, have a look whether KDE created a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/. Alternatively, you could try to use KDM instead of LightDM as your display manager, which can be done via dpkg-reconfigure kdm (→ http://askubuntu.com/a/146692)

For reference, this is what my /usr/share/xsessions/kde-plasma.desktop looks like on openSUSE:
code:
[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/startkde
TryExec=/usr/bin/startkde
DesktopNames=KDE
Name=KDE Plasma Workspace
Comment=The desktop made by KDE

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
So if I buy a book on Linux System Programming and can somehow manage to study and learn the material... can I start applying to Linux jobs? Or is the sacred order of the :mason: more exclusive than this. I see a lot of advertisements that use Linux as a buzzword, so I figure why not.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

KDE is, and will remain till they gently caress up horribly, my favorite DE.

They're in the middle of loving it up horribly for KDE 5 :v:

Kidding, honestly. The Plasma 5 libraries/interface look very nice, and by the time they become part of a new release of KDE (that then makes it into a stable Linux distribution), everything should be very polished. There were some serious regressions in 5.0 (missing functionality and broken features) but it's coming along quite nicely. It looks like that talk of "we know early KDE 4 is a mess but we're laying good foundation for the future" was actually true.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Crotch Fruit posted:

Just curious, what happens with NTFS?

First, there are several possible NTFS implementations. The one included in standard Linux kernels is safe but rather plain, feature-wise: according to the documentation in the ntfs.txt included in the kernel source package, you cannot create or delete any files or directories! (Writing into existing ones is fine, so it can be used if you're storing Linux filesystems as image files on NTFS volumes.)

The FUSE-based NTFS-3G has a lot more features, particularly in terms of permissions handling. I guess most even partly desktop-oriented distributions will offer this when they talk about NTFS support.

NTFS has its native ACLs, which can easily be used to store the standard Unix-style permission bits.
The problem is user and group identification.

Unix-style filesystems usually store file ownerships as simple numbers: the UID and GID numbers you can see with the "id" command or by peeking into /etc/passwd and /etc/group. Windows uses SIDs, which are similar to UUIDs: long strings of numbers like this:
code:
S-1-5-21-4152169587-1127301844-2306222593-513
Now, SID space is big enough that NTFS-3G could simply generate a series of SIDs (and use certain well-known Windows SIDs like "Everyone"). But these generated SIDs would be totally unknown to Windows: if you moved a NTFS disk from Linux to Windows, you would typically have no write permissions to Linux-written files without using the Windows "Take Ownership" function on them first. If you investigated before taking ownership, you would see them owned by "Account Unknown".

(The same thing would happen when moving a NTFS filesystem between Windows systems, if those systems are not both part of the same Active Directory domain tree/forest.)

To minimize the potential to harm and nuisance, NTFS-3G won't use Windows-style ACLs to store file permissions unless you explicitly allow it to do that. There are two ways to do it: either by specifying some mount options ("permissions" or "acl" depending on exactly what you want), or by creating an "user mapping file" to identify which Linux users and groups correspond to which Windows SIDs.

If the user mapping file is used, it is normally placed into ".NTFS-3G" directory in the root directory of each NTFS filesystem.
In Linux, the directory is hidden because its name begins with a dot. In Windows, you can make it hidden if you wish: for Windows, it is just a data file with no particular meaning.

There is a Linux command named "ntfs-3g.usermap" that can help you in creation of an user mapping file. It examines existing files on a NTFS filesystem, chooses some likely candidates and presents them to you for identification. You then either select the name of the Linux user or group that you want to match the user or group owning the file, or indicate "don't know". Then it gives you a user mapping file, which you can plop into the appropriate location on your NTFS filesystem(s). Then unmount & remount your NTFS filesystem(s) or just reboot so that NTFS-3G can detect the user mapping file at mount time and start presenting and storing the file ownerships and permissions in a sane manner.

(Whew... again I've made a wall of text!)

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Love Stole the Day posted:

So if I buy a book on Linux System Programming and can somehow manage to study and learn the material... can I start applying to Linux jobs? Or is the sacred order of the :mason: more exclusive than this. I see a lot of advertisements that use Linux as a buzzword, so I figure why not.

I would pay attention to see if the job wants a Linux administrator or a Linux systems programmer, as they are vastly different positions. If it's an admin job you need to learn all about making Linux machine do things from a command prompt, like what commands to see what programs are running, process a bunch of log files, etc. If it's a systems programmer job you need to learn how to write Linux/POSIX code. There is some overlap between the two, but each is pretty specialized and can go very deep into knowledge particular to each field.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

I think if you can create or contribute to an existing open source project, that could go a long way if you don't have the practical background yet. If it is an admin job, then you probably need to have some hands on experience setting up servers of your own cause they are going to be a lot less likely to hand you the keys to the kingdom if you aren't proven.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Really bluntly: no.

Linux isn't a buzzword. I mean, it has hype right now, but Linux on an ad isn't a buzzword. It means "we expect you to not be a bumbling fool with this totally different operating system, which almost always has other users on it and you can't get admin rights to try random poo poo from Google if you need something or get stuck.

"NoSQL" is a buzzword. "Big Data" is. "Web 2.0" is. (All of these had and have meanings, but their use on adverts usually meant nothing.

They don't feel like they need to put "Windows" on there because you almost certainly know enough to get around.

Do you do systems programming on Windows? Like writing services in MFC C++? Or even .NET? Why would you do this in Linux if you don't know enough about it to feel comfortable asking for jobs that list Linux?

Read a certification study guide (LPIC 1-2, RHCSA/RHCE, whatever) or the Centos/FreeBSD/Fedora deployment and admin guides. And learn how to use the shell enough to do daily stuff like listing/moving/copying files, listing and killing running processes, displaying text files, etc.

Then pick a language. It can be C, but you'd be better off with Python or Go or whatever web language if you're a web guy. Learn how it basically works (if it's a new language, you'll be fine. If it's C/C++, learn how autotools/automake work)

If you're an admin, you don't need to know a language right away, but you'll be a better one if you do, and you'll never advance if you don't learn one.

Now you can apply for jobs that ask for "Linux".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Hey, this was a good and informative post. I'd always wondered how this worked.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anybody here use Virtual Private Clouds in AWS? I don't have a VPN configured with it so I have to assign every instance a public elastic IP in order to connect to it. I use a security group to ensure only the my IP address can hit ssh & https on the box. I was talking to the guy at work that can setup the VPN for me and he doesn't want to do a VPN to the VPC, he said it's better to do the security group & public IP address. This seems crazy to me, I don't know how to convince him otherwise though. Especially since AWS only gives me 5 elastic IPs (i'm sure I could request more) but I don't even need these machines to be publicly accessible, just the load balancer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hollow Talk posted:

:haw:

On a more serious note, Ubuntu is using LightDM, isn't it? From what I can tell, you have a few options that you could try first. As per this wiki, have a look whether KDE created a .desktop file in /usr/share/xsessions/. Alternatively, you could try to use KDM instead of LightDM as your display manager, which can be done via dpkg-reconfigure kdm (→ http://askubuntu.com/a/146692)

For reference, this is what my /usr/share/xsessions/kde-plasma.desktop looks like on openSUSE:
code:
[Desktop Entry]
X-SuSE-translate=true
Encoding=UTF-8
Type=XSession
Exec=/usr/bin/startkde
TryExec=/usr/bin/startkde
DesktopNames=KDE
Name=KDE Plasma Workspace
Comment=The desktop made by KDE

Alright, it looks like KDE did create the .desktop file, which looks much the same as yours. When I tried dpkg-reconfigure kdm, I got the message "kdm is not installed", but I was able to run /usr/bin/startkde and got a weird KDE/LightDM combo. What can I try now?

Edit: Apparently KDE also changed the boot/shutdown screen to say kubuntu rather than ubuntu. Odd.

hooah fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 10, 2014

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

hooah posted:

Alright, it looks like KDE did create the .desktop file, which looks much the same as yours. When I tried dpkg-reconfigure kdm, I got the message "kdm is not installed", but I was able to run /usr/bin/startkde and got a weird KDE/LightDM combo. What can I try now?

Edit: Apparently KDE also changed the boot/shutdown screen to say kubuntu rather than ubuntu. Odd.

Mhm, startkde is what is used to start a KDE session and is normally only called by a display manager, so it's no wonder things look a bit funny.

It strikes me as odd, however, that you don't have kdm installed. How did you install KDE? From what I can tell, KDE should install kdm with the other packages. What's the output if you type sudo apt-get install --dry-run kubuntu-desktop into a console? The --dry-run means it will only show you what it would do, but it won't touch your system.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I want to use a USB wifi device, the Rosewill rnx-n180ube, on my 3.13 kernel Xubuntu laptop (64 bit). However, the only linux driver available from http://www.rosewill.com/products/1721/ProductDetail_Download.htm is for the 2.6 or 3.0 kernels. I tried make'ing it anyway from source but it didn't work because I assume my 3.13 kernel's development files are what's causing all the problems. I tried to apt-get some old 3.0 linux development files but that was a non-starter. A google search didn't turn up anything helpful.

Am I totally out of luck here? I looked through the makefile but the only relevant option that is easily settable is to choose PC or Android or Arm. How can I compile a driver for a new kernel if it was only made for a really old one?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

reading posted:

I want to use a USB wifi device, the Rosewill rnx-n180ube, on my 3.13 kernel Xubuntu laptop (64 bit). However, the only linux driver available from http://www.rosewill.com/products/1721/ProductDetail_Download.htm is for the 2.6 or 3.0 kernels. I tried make'ing it anyway from source but it didn't work because I assume my 3.13 kernel's development files are what's causing all the problems. I tried to apt-get some old 3.0 linux development files but that was a non-starter. A google search didn't turn up anything helpful.

Am I totally out of luck here? I looked through the makefile but the only relevant option that is easily settable is to choose PC or Android or Arm. How can I compile a driver for a new kernel if it was only made for a really old one?

Could you use ndiswrapper and run the Windows driver as a workaround?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Could you use ndiswrapper and run the Windows driver as a workaround?

Actually after looking at $ dmesg | grep usb , it looks like my system pulled a driver from some folder automatically upon plug-in, and I was able to view wifi networks with the device. I couldn't connect to the one I wanted but I think that's a different problem. So, case closed!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

:goonsay: O great masters of Linux,

• Why have the majority of game companies over the years, except for Valve most recently, collectively not bothered themselves with adding linux support?

Because "Linux" isn't a platform you can target. It's ten million different platforms, all with different goals, different ideas and methodologies about distribution software, and two users who are interested in actually buying your games. Developing games for "Linux" is meaningless. You can develop games for "Fedora 20" or "Ubuntu 14.04", but by the time your game comes out it's going to be "Fedora 25" and "Ubuntu 18.10" and all your code won't work anymore.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So is that the sort of thing Steam could solve? I mean, if instead of each game having to target each different distro for compatibility, they target Steam and then each distro works on making itself compatible with the steam libraries.

Kind of like how Direct X is supposed to work under windows. I thought OpenGL was already supposed to be doing this but then I haven't really paid attention for a looong time, and then only from the windows side of things.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Hollow Talk posted:

Mhm, startkde is what is used to start a KDE session and is normally only called by a display manager, so it's no wonder things look a bit funny.
Yeah, I figured that's why it looked funny.

quote:

It strikes me as odd, however, that you don't have kdm installed. How did you install KDE? From what I can tell, KDE should install kdm with the other packages. What's the output if you type sudo apt-get install --dry-run kubuntu-desktop into a console? The --dry-run means it will only show you what it would do, but it won't touch your system.

The output is "kubuntu-desktop is already the newest version. The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: kde-l10n-engb. Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it." Then 0 for every category (upgraded, etc.).

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

:goonsay: O great masters of Linux,

• Why have the majority of game companies over the years, except for Valve most recently, collectively not bothered themselves with adding linux support? Is it because of the low market share that Linux support gives not being worth the effort? Is it because adding linux support involves just too much effort and people can't be bothered anyway? Is it because linux games could somehow be more "hackable" or something?
Low market share, difficult to support, multiple options to support (just look at sound, you have ALSA, pulse audio, Jack, etc), and drivers are not always the best. AMD/ATI and and Nvidia don't always release very good video drivers for Linux. Only Netflix is playing the "hackable" card which is just their way of saying they are too loving lazy to try. Android runs the Linux and it is secure enough for Netflix so I find it hard to believe Linux is not secure enough for Netflix.

• Also, as a newbie to this whole Linux thing: on Windows and whatnot, there are a dime dozen malware protection, antivirus, registry cleaner, etc programs out there... but I've never heard of anything of the sort being for linux in all of the newbie guides that I've read. Have I just been blacking out when I get to those parts of the "welcome to linux!" guides or is this OS somehow more secure in general? (I'm aware of things like bsd and redhat being super secure by comparison, but nothing about the other distributions in general for comparison sake) [/quote]

There are significantly more AV and malware apps for Windows because there is a much larger user base. First, Windows is a better target for virus writers since you can effect more people and steal more credit cards, but also because everyone including the non tech savy people run Windows. Windows tends to have the dumb assess willing to click OK when IE pops up a window bouncing around screaming "YOUR WINDOWS CAN HAS INFECTION!!1 GIVE MONEY NOW!!".

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So is that the sort of thing Steam could solve? I mean, if instead of each game having to target each different distro for compatibility, they target Steam and then each distro works on making itself compatible with the steam libraries.

Kind of like how Direct X is supposed to work under windows. I thought OpenGL was already supposed to be doing this but then I haven't really paid attention for a looong time, and then only from the windows side of things.

OpenGL needs good video drivers. OpenGL also only handles video, DirectX handles video, audio, input, probably even networking and other poo poo too.

• Wiggly Wayne DDS
    Sep 11, 2010

Steam linux runtime exists to minimise library compatibility issues for what it's worth.

Hollow Talk
    Feb 2, 2014

Crotch Fruit posted:

OpenGL needs good video drivers. OpenGL also only handles video, DirectX handles video, audio, input, probably even networking and other poo poo too.

There are options for this though, namely things like SDL, so this wouldn't really be a reason why Linux wouldn't be feasible. Inertia and fragmentation are probably bigger causes than actual technical reasons.

hooah posted:

The output is "kubuntu-desktop is already the newest version. The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required: kde-l10n-engb. Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it." Then 0 for every category (upgraded, etc.).

So according to apt everything should be working. Hmpf. Could you try to change your default session for lightdm upon login to kde to see whether it would work that way? Usually, that can be done via sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s <session-name>, which should be kde-plasma as the session-name. Alternatively, you can also edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf by hand (if it exists, otherwise the other command will create it as needed) and change user-session= to the same as above.

Polygynous
    Dec 13, 2006
    welp

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Steam linux runtime exists to minimise library compatibility issues for what it's worth.

Well yeah, it does that by just packaging its own versions of a bunch of X libs and other things.

hooah
    Feb 6, 2006
    WTF?

Hollow Talk posted:

So according to apt everything should be working. Hmpf. Could you try to change your default session for lightdm upon login to kde to see whether it would work that way? Usually, that can be done via sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s <session-name>, which should be kde-plasma as the session-name. Alternatively, you can also edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf by hand (if it exists, otherwise the other command will create it as needed) and change user-session= to the same as above.

I tried the first command, but it wasn't found. When I edited the conf file, this is how it looked:
    code:
    [SeatDefaults]
    autologin-guest=false
    autologin-user=
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    autologin-session=light-dm  #I believe this is what was set here; I copied after I changed it.

I changed the last line to autologin-session=kde-plasma, relogged, and nothing had changed. I added user-session=kde-plasma and tried again, but no change. I then tried commenting out the autologin line and leaving in the user-session line, but still, no change.

Hollow Talk
    Feb 2, 2014

hooah posted:

I tried the first command, but it wasn't found. When I edited the conf file, this is how it looked:
    code:
    [SeatDefaults]
    autologin-guest=false
    autologin-user=
    autologin-user-timeout=0
    autologin-session=light-dm  #I believe this is what was set here; I copied after I changed it.

I changed the last line to autologin-session=kde-plasma, relogged, and nothing had changed. I added user-session=kde-plasma and tried again, but no change. I then tried commenting out the autologin line and leaving in the user-session line, but still, no change.

Mhm, this is a bit odd. Could you post the contents of your ~/.dmrc? This is where desktop environment choices are saved for individual users, and changing that to kde-plasma might help.

hooah
    Feb 6, 2006
    WTF?

Hollow Talk posted:

Mhm, this is a bit odd. Could you post the contents of your ~/.dmrc? This is where desktop environment choices are saved for individual users, and changing that to kde-plasma might help.

It was just
    code:
    [Desktop]
    Session=ubuntu
    I tried changing that last one to kde-plasma, but still no change. Christ but Ubuntu's a stubborn bastard, isn't it?

Hollow Talk
    Feb 2, 2014

hooah posted:

It was just
    code:
    [Desktop]
    Session=ubuntu
    I tried changing that last one to kde-plasma, but still no change. Christ but Ubuntu's a stubborn bastard, isn't it?

It sure is! :saddowns:

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, since all the requisite moving parts seem to be there, i.e. display manager (LightDM) → desktop files (kde-plasma.desktop) → binaries (startkde). Ubuntu also seems convinced that all necessary packages are there, yet some things are missing. The weird thing is that none of this is exactly a novelty problem that nobody has solved before, and all we are trying to use here are standard components that work pretty much the same way on any distribution.

In short: :wtc: Ubuntu? Who would have thought this would be quite so tricky?!

As a last attempt, what does apt-get show you when you run apt-get install --dry-run kdm? If it lets you install kdm, that might be worth installing and activating via dpkg-reconfigure kdm as above, just to see whether this is just LightDM being problematic, or whether something else is broken.

thebigcow
    Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
    Did you install KDE through apt or through tasksel? tasksel should get you all the weird bits and configure them appropriately.

hooah
    Feb 6, 2006
    WTF?

Hollow Talk posted:

As a last attempt, what does apt-get show you when you run apt-get install --dry-run kdm? If it lets you install kdm, that might be worth installing and activating via dpkg-reconfigure kdm as above, just to see whether this is just LightDM being problematic, or whether something else is broken.

Looks like kdm was indeed missing (although the dry-run only mentioned the wallpapers package). After actually installing that, it ran the reconfigure thing, and after rebooting, I have KDE!

thebigcow posted:

Did you install KDE through apt or through tasksel? tasksel should get you all the weird bits and configure them appropriately.

Through the Ubuntu app installer thing, so... apt, if I understand things correctly.

Vulture Culture
    Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Only Netflix is playing the "hackable" card which is just their way of saying they are too loving lazy to try. Android runs the Linux and it is secure enough for Netflix so I find it hard to believe Linux is not secure enough for Netflix.
    Well, Netflix is supported in Chrome 37. It was supported in Chrome 36 also, but you had to spoof your user-agent to look like a Windows system before it would let you in.

Linux is more hackable from a media content provider's perspective, because it doesn't adequately support the hardware DRM shackles like HDCP that Windows does. It has nothing to do with being able to reverse-engineer the copy protection, and everything to do with just being able to capture the A/V stream being pumped out of the video card.

Hollow Talk
    Feb 2, 2014

hooah posted:

Looks like kdm was indeed missing (although the dry-run only mentioned the wallpapers package). After actually installing that, it ran the reconfigure thing, and after rebooting, I have KDE!

Through the Ubuntu app installer thing, so... apt, if I understand things correctly.
    Glad it is at least loading KDE now! :toot:

Weird Uncle Dave
    Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

fletcher posted:

Does anybody here use Virtual Private Clouds in AWS?

Most of the articles I've read seem to imply that your VPN guy is right. You assign an elastic IP when you need to get into the instance, do what you need to do, then release the IP when done. A system that isn't accessible to the Internet is more secure than one connected by VPN, since a compromise of the VPN endpoint means all your instances could be exposed.

There certainly are instances where a permanent connection is preferable (maybe your instances need access to on-prem databases) but best practice seems to be only having your guest connected when required.

Bobby Deluxe
    May 9, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Well, Netflix is supported in Chrome 37. It was supported in Chrome 36 also, but you had to spoof your user-agent to look like a Windows system before it would let you in.
    Apparently Ubuntu now supports Netflix

e: apparently this is not news, just linking to Engadget saying exactly what you said. My bad.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 11, 2014

fletcher
    Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Most of the articles I've read seem to imply that your VPN guy is right. You assign an elastic IP when you need to get into the instance, do what you need to do, then release the IP when done. A system that isn't accessible to the Internet is more secure than one connected by VPN, since a compromise of the VPN endpoint means all your instances could be exposed.

There certainly are instances where a permanent connection is preferable (maybe your instances need access to on-prem databases) but best practice seems to be only having your guest connected when required.

Interesting, good to know. What about for things like a build server, artifact repository, etc. Should I have a public IP address on those machines that only need to be accessed internally?

spankmeister
    Jun 15, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently Ubuntu now supports Netflix

e: apparently this is not news, just linking to Engadget saying exactly what you said. My bad.

funny that they headline it with ubuntu supporting netflix while it's really about chrome

e: maybe now I'll finally build my xmbc media center pc now we have Netflix support without pipelight fuxkery

I am not a book
    Mar 9, 2013

spankmeister posted:

funny that they headline it with ubuntu supporting netflix while it's really about chrome

That's because Ubuntu was the one Netflix was waiting on due to its large market share(compared to other distros - wow it feels dirty to talk about market share of desktop linux). The reason that it's supported is that Ubuntu upgraded their libs.

edit: although on second thought it really should have been "netflix support comes to linux" you're right, but I'm sick of people complaining that Ubuntu gets a mention when it was Ubuntu's library version was the last blocker. Not directing that at you or anything.

I am not a book fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 11, 2014

Megaman
    May 8, 2004
    I didn't read the thread BUT...

fletcher posted:

Does anybody here use Virtual Private Clouds in AWS? I don't have a VPN configured with it so I have to assign every instance a public elastic IP in order to connect to it. I use a security group to ensure only the my IP address can hit ssh & https on the box. I was talking to the guy at work that can setup the VPN for me and he doesn't want to do a VPN to the VPC, he said it's better to do the security group & public IP address. This seems crazy to me, I don't know how to convince him otherwise though. Especially since AWS only gives me 5 elastic IPs (i'm sure I could request more) but I don't even need these machines to be publicly accessible, just the load balancer.

I use VPC at my company. VPC is used in serious operations, I don't know a single person who works at a company who doesn't, and also I believe AWS is phasing out classic EC2 anyway, so in a while you won't have a choice.

fletcher
    Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Megaman posted:

I use VPC at my company. VPC is used in serious operations, I don't know a single person who works at a company who doesn't, and also I believe AWS is phasing out classic EC2 anyway, so in a while you won't have a choice.

So do you guys use a VPN? I don't doubt VPC is used for serious production systems, I just wanted to know about the VPN specifically.

Vulture Culture
    Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

fletcher posted:

If you're talking about administration, you don't actually need a VPN, you just need an SSH gateway host. (Then there's the thing where if you routinely need to SSH to a host on EC2, you're not clouding right, etc. etc.)

fletcher posted:

Interesting, good to know. What about for things like a build server, artifact repository, etc. Should I have a public IP address on those machines that only need to be accessed internally?
    if you're sure they'll only ever need to be accessed internally, you don't need the external IP. Most companies I've worked with end up doing collaborative development with people from some other company at some point, or using some hosted CI/QA system like Sauce Labs, and being able to actually access the endpoints is a big deal.

Megaman posted:

They've already phased out EC2 Classic for new accounts. It's still available for older accounts, but on any accounts created since around last January, you create a default VPC at account creation time instead of being given the EC2 Classic option.

fletcher posted:

So do you guys use a VPN? I don't doubt VPC is used for serious production systems, I just wanted to know about the VPN specifically.
    We have a bunch of Openswan boxes handling site-to-site VPNs between EC2 regions and GCE. We do have a user-facing IPsec/L2TP VPN available also, but honestly the only thing I ever use it for is securing my communications when I'm on insecure wi-fi. There's no reason you couldn't use it for more, though.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
    ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
    Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
    What about things like a build server that devs would need to access over https? Should I just give it an elastic IP & security group or is that something you should have behind a VPN and have buildserver.mydomain.com point to the 10.x.x.x private IP?