Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Oh lord the shopkeeper in Spelunky remembers you between levels, why didn't I expect that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug

Pleads posted:

Oh lord the shopkeeper in Spelunky remembers you between levels, why didn't I expect that.

It also spawns a shopkeeper at every exit if you anger them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Real hurthling! posted:

I think there is going to be many because clubs have 6 people in them according to giant bomb

Is that confirmed? There's a lack of hard info in Google searches and I found one site confirming 12 people in a club but that was a year ago.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NESguerilla posted:

I'd just like to know some more specifics on how the game plays. I really hope it's RE4 2014 and not a super linear amusement park ride like most horror games these days. I'm really hoping for a level of gaminess and exploration. I'm pretty sure it's going to be good, but I thought Shadows of The Damed kind of sucked so I'm slightly apprehensive.

Shadows of the Damned had Mikami in a "creative producer" role, whatever that means, while Evil Within has him directing. Also Suda isn't involved, which sadly is now a plus for me. I'm a lot more confident here than I was there.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Feenix posted:

Is that confirmed? There's a lack of hard info in Google searches and I found one site confirming 12 people in a club but that was a year ago.

The in game menus say 6.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I just wish Evil Within had a little more weirdness to it, like Resident Evil 4. The weird monks with the parasite exploding out of their heads and the giants make the whole thing a bit more fun than the butcher thing that the Evil Within promo stuff I've seen has going on. We'll see I guess, but it's looking a little too serious-human-flaying-business for my tastes.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I just wish Evil Within had a little more weirdness to it, like Resident Evil 4. The weird monks with the parasite exploding out of their heads and the giants make the whole thing a bit more fun than the butcher thing that the Evil Within promo stuff I've seen has going on. We'll see I guess, but it's looking a little too serious-human-flaying-business for my tastes.

Have you watching any trailers or anything? It looks like there are a ton of loving insane weird things attacking you. It's very resident evil/silent hill like in that regard.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Just got connected to the Driveclub servers, edit: starting a club here soon, post PSN names if you want an invite. Looks like it's locked to 6 members

double edit: or not servers poo poo themselves again

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 10, 2014

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Wait, people are baffled at what Evil Within is and/or unable to find info? There's been plenty of previews online at major game sites and multiple new stories, and the October Game Informer thing is The Horror Issue with like a 10 page section entirely dedicated to detailing the writer playing the first 5 chapters of the Evil Within.

For instance, from a quick search here is a preview from end of September with links to previous previews and a video with a Game Informer journalist talking to a young Woody Harrelson: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/09/22/video-preview-the-evil-within.aspx

You can see this in the videos Bethesda has posted, but it plays like (camera, aiming, most of the controls, etc.) Resident Evil 4 but with a much more major focus on horror over action. It still has a few things from RE4 like insane traps as set pieces, but encourages you to seek creative solutions to enemies (setting traps, running around them, stealth) and gives you small amounts of ammo. In the Game Informer video above, it talks about how the game is very much like Resident Evil 4 in terms of level design: you have set pieces and "cinematic" areas that will then open up into a city or a mansion that you can explore and take your own tactics into.

The recent trailer (on every major game site I've seen) seems to do a pretty good job of showing what enemies and gameplay are like with the exception of the level design: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BEeTBbJtSI

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 10, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm 100% ready for TEW but I hope there's an easy drowning in ammo mode because I'm pretty tired of the opposite in horror/stealth games lately.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm more curious about Evil Within than I am at any other game this season because I know very little about it and while it looks like a gorier Shadow of the Damned clone, Mikami's still coasting on goodwill accumulated from RE4 so I can't dismiss it outright. Looking forward to next week.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone ever noticed any problems with digital games vs disc copies? Wondering if I should preorder GTAV on the PS store, I heard the last gen versions had problems with pop in and stuff with digital versions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

Anyone ever noticed any problems with digital games vs disc copies? Wondering if I should preorder GTAV on the PS store, I heard the last gen versions had problems with pop in and stuff with digital versions.

Disc games install to and run entirely off the HDD on the PS4. There is no difference.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

That was a problem unique to last-gen hardware, they just didn't have the juice to run all aspects of GTAV simultaneously off the hard drive without severe issues. The Xbone/PS4 versions shouldn't have any trouble.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Mikami's still coasting on goodwill accumulated from RE4

You say this like his last game wasn't Vanquish.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

The intrusive, unskippable cutscenes, unremarkable final chapter/boss and terrible ending of Vanquish made me very grumpy.

But you're right, for some reason I thought that was another of Kamiya's babies. Should really replay it one of these days.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pirate Jet posted:

And God Hand before that. Mikami's directing career's almost all gold, PN03's the only questionable game he's directed.

Pix Cat Chat: This game gets crazy hard. I'm nearing the end of Nostalgia mode (58 out of 70) and some of these stages are taking a ton of tries, the game really demands perfection.

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 10, 2014

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok. I forgot he didn't direct Shadows of the Damned witch means I like pretty much everything he's done. I'm definitely getting day one unless there are some horrible problems or something

Jimbot posted:

I don't think it is going to suck because it's Shinji Mikami but the lack of info is a bummer. If people who actively look for it can't find much then people who don't know about the game certainly can't. Something tells me it's not going to sell all that well. Bethesda sure is doing a bang-up job of promoting the game.

Yeah, they have done a horrible job showcasing the game. The stuff I have seen has just "look at this sequence of a bunch of scripted stuff with barely any gameplay". it's been a game I have been anticipating for years and I can't even get an idea of what the game is actually going to be like other than that it's 3rd person horror.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I am a good friend and held off trading in TLoU to gamestop to sell to a friend for a better price. Though resulting in my loss of a day 1 Evil Within. I suspect black friday or a post new years sale should justify this move.

I am however getting GTA5 again, day 1, so yay!

edit; WHEN IS JOURNEY PS4 A THING? gently caress I want that so bad. I also hope it comes to vita as some sort of unannounced cross buy super 3 way trophy explosion.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 10, 2014

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

Have you watching any trailers or anything? It looks like there are a ton of loving insane weird things attacking you. It's very resident evil/silent hill like in that regard.

Yeah, I've seen trailers. I guess what I mean by weird is more Hideo Kojima weird and less Saw weird. Like, Resident Evil 4 had that weird Napoleon looking freak, giants, pretty ordinary villagers, and a giant crocodile and stuff like that mixed in with the butcher aprons and what not. The footage I've seen of Evil Within has more flayed bodies, butcher aprons, and people with clown masks and stuff. Things just look gorier and grodier, like a game equivalent of the Theon scenes from Game of Thrones or something. The goofy weird stuff in Resident Evil 4 made it a much easier pill to swallow for me than some of the Silent Hill games or other horror games that played it straight.

I might just be getting too old for utter grim dark.

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I've seen trailers. I guess what I mean by weird is more Hideo Kojima weird and less Saw weird. Like, Resident Evil 4 had that weird Napoleon looking freak, giants, pretty ordinary villagers, and a giant crocodile and stuff like that mixed in with the butcher aprons and what not. The footage I've seen of Evil Within has more flayed bodies, butcher aprons, and people with clown masks and stuff. Things just look gorier and grodier, like a game equivalent of the Theon scenes from Game of Thrones or something. The goofy weird stuff in Resident Evil 4 made it a much easier pill to swallow for me than some of the Silent Hill games or other horror games that played it straight.

I'm with you here. RE4 was much easier to work through because it felt like more action and less horror. I hope TEW is like it.

Fame Lifeles
Nov 25, 2013

"I've never modelled a blue tit in my life."
:raise:
I am literally an alt account for 343 Industries employee
:siren: -A n i m 8- :siren:

I love them big blue holographic TITTAYS!

:pervert:
I found it strange at first that Evolution studios chose to title their game with the singular Driveclub, instead of using the plural Driveclubs. Considering the club limit is a measly 6 members you'd expect to need more than one to accommodate all the players. And then I saw the reviews and it all made sense.

Driveclub PS+ edition availability update: Still not available :cawg:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Man driveclub is about a million times better when you can play your own music. I started the free trial of the music unlimited and it rules hearing stuff you want racing around these locales. Still kind of bullshit Sony won't allow an rdio app or your own mp3's just so they force you to sub to their service

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Fame Lifeles posted:

I found it strange at first that Evolution studios chose to title their game with the singular Driveclub, instead of using the plural Driveclubs. Considering the club limit is a measly 6 members you'd expect to need more than one to accommodate all the players. And then I saw the reviews and it all made sense.

Driveclub PS+ edition availability update: Still not available :cawg:
I like how it's still referred to as PS+ edition.
It's a Demo/F2P, stop tacking more meaningless terms into games :colbert:

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
reminder that lifeles posted in the xbone sharktank until it died. then he started posting in the ps4 thread. not even fame lifeles would post in the xbone general discussion, and that says a lot.

also:

post the thread.

post any thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

drat I only have 2 free games available so far this month.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sleeping Dogs HD is now on PSN (at least in Euro Town). 10% PS+ discount too.
This is gonna be a cool weekend :unsmigghh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That said, much like its PS3 predecessor I feel like it will be free on PS+ a bit sooner than expected.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Any further news on No Man's Sky? One of the games that got me interested in the new gen, so would love to know when it's projected to come our and if there have been any new developments.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Neo Rasa posted:

That said, much like its PS3 predecessor I feel like it will be free on PS+ a bit sooner than expected.

I don't know about that but it'll drat sure be $40 or less in a month like Tomb Raider PS4 was

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's worth noting that none of that super weird stuff in RE4 was really present in the marketing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
In order to fulfill a Hunting Challenge in Shadow of Mordor, I killed a Dire Caragor by taming it then draining it repeatedly. When it died, this happened:

I could walk around like this for a few minutes before I hit a wall and it fixed itself. It was really strange and hilarious.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

1redflag posted:

Any further news on No Man's Sky? One of the games that got me interested in the new gen, so would love to know when it's projected to come our and if there have been any new developments.

No new floods have occurred. Progress unchanged.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So do people have their hands on Drive Club now? How is it? Me and a friend were going to pick up the demo and play around in it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I totally agree, but to be fair they have showcased almost nothing from the evil within aside from that 10 minutes of kind of dull scripted footage and some random screenshots and RE4 wasn't short on apron murder guys. I just want to know what the game is going to be like to some extent. I'm going to be pretty sad if the whole thing is like the demo they have been showing, but at the same time I don't really think that's what it's going to be. loving crappiest marketing all around.

I just want to know for sure that it is going to be a real game like RE4 and not gimmicky thrill ride like most modern horror games. I want EW to have something like mercenaries and puzzles and goofy leaderboard stuff and some fun exploration that make me want to keep playing it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Oct 10, 2014

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

Ularg posted:

So do people have their hands on Drive Club now? How is it? Me and a friend were going to pick up the demo and play around in it.

It's a $59.99 ($49.99+) demo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Static! posted:

It's a $59.99 ($49.99+) demo.
Wait, even the full version is just a demo?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, even the full version is just a demo?

No, he's just trolling. There's plenty of content in the game, it's just having major server issues at the moment so the social/leaderboards stuff isn't working at all.

Which means at the moment it's just kind of a standard single-player racing game.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Aishan posted:

No, he's just trolling. There's plenty of content in the game, it's just having major server issues at the moment so the social/leaderboards stuff isn't working at all.

Which means at the moment it's just kind of a standard single-player racing game.

Yeah, the driving feels good and the environments and cars look and sound nice but because a lot of the 'special' features like the challenges and clubs require being connected to the server they don't work for a majority of users (like me). The launch is a bit of a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I don't think it's possible for a game to have a stable and smooth launch anymore. I don't even think companies try. It's not like renting Amazon servers is hard or anything for the first month.

• Locked thread