Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plan Z
May 6, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

Huh. So I've played only about 20 minutes since the patch, but this spotting mechanic does seem really loving dumb, and tends to reward people who just watch the radar only, and gently caress looking for dots? Or am I missing something?

edit: Also My Mustang does weird things now. Like flopping way more than it used to and surprise aileron rolls. It seems that the keyboard isn't a straight override of the mouse as much and you need to move the mouse with the keyboard to keep it from remembering where your mouse was halfway through a maneuver and spazzing out.

I had the Mustang thing occasionally in 1.41, even in Arcade. I'd try to do even a minor turn while diving, and the plane would just go upside down and not be able to unfuck itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Plan Z posted:

I had the Mustang thing occasionally in 1.41, even in Arcade. I'd try to do even a minor turn while diving, and the plane would just go upside down and not be able to unfuck itself.

It's recoverable, just annoying. It's very similar to the snaprolls you'll get in sim mode when you overcook a turn and then recover instantly. On the other hand, the elevator authority on this thing is insane now.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

AceRimmer posted:

6km max and you can no longer spot anyone through your pubbies apparently? :psyduck:

You can spot enemies that your teammates tag at a max of 6km.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I guess they just assumed since early Russian planes didn't have radios, none of them did? :iiam:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The new jet bombers mean more matches that last 30+ minutes because the last one is fleeing from planes unable to catch it, I have again experienced. So far no losses against them playing Germany. Easy to convince the team to get nuking whatever ground targets they can, we've all got 20mm or better, getting easy though lengthy victories.

Not seen a Ho229 get past the climb and do not snap wings stage yet.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Got a Japanese B-17. Wings snap with -Gs at 300kmh. :thumbsup:
Still going to fly the poo poo out of it. :japan:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Skwee posted:

Is that some comic sans in my ww2 game

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I love that the new T-54 they added is even more heavily armored than the previous one. The 1947 T-54 literally has better frontal protection than a Tiger 2, no exaggeration.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General
So with all the changes they made to ground forces has it improved that portion of the game at all?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is it not possible to control tanks from keyboard/mouse and planes from gamepad because the mouse control in planes sucks but gamepad sucks for aiming in a tank...

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Elendil004 posted:

Is it not possible to control tanks from keyboard/mouse and planes from gamepad because the mouse control in planes sucks but gamepad sucks for aiming in a tank...

The majority of us are using keyboard and mouse for aircraft so I don't know what the problem is. Any hard maneuvers should be done with the keyboard, aim with the mouse.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Lee Outrageous posted:

The majority of us are using keyboard and mouse for aircraft so I don't know what the problem is. Any hard maneuvers should be done with the keyboard, aim with the mouse.

I've just never liked the keyboard/mouse, but maybe I should try the other control sets for kb/m. The default is really lame and feels sluggish.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wow, the F7F is kind of a beast. I've just been gunning down BF109s like it ain't a thang.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I hope the person who though introducing Norway at the same time as the new spotting system was a good idea is doused in mustard gas.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

AceRimmer posted:

6km max and you can no longer spot anyone through your pubbies apparently? :psyduck:

Radios didn't exist in planes you see.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

wargames posted:

Did Gaijin painstakingly model the aerodynamic effect of waving a signal flag at altitude?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Gimnbo posted:

I hope the person who though introducing Norway at the same time as the new spotting system was a good idea is doused in mustard gas.
I just played a round of Spain.

Yeah, not a fan of the new spotting system.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

wargames posted:

What about the planes with actual AI radars, like Beaufighters, Do 217s, and Me 410s?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mr Chips posted:

What about the planes with actual AI radars, like Beaufighters, Do 217s, and Me 410s?

Comrade Stalin has informed us that radar was just capitalist propaganda.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Helter Skelter posted:

I just played a round of Spain.

Yeah, not a fan of the new spotting system.

I started working on the Eastern Front nations right before the patch hit and even with the old spotting system Spain was poo poo.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vadoc posted:

Finding the last rear end in a top hat alive on the other team is going to be so much fun now.

Especially when they're in a Canberra!

wargames posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to justify it with some stupid fake historical bullshit like that.

"Well you see historically new pilots to a bomber squadron were given a lovely used plane that didn't even carry bombs! :pseudo:"

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Wings are rather absurdly fragile at the moment.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wings are rather absurdly fragile at the moment.

Are we talking "Return of the Wing snap, a feature length story"?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

WirelessPillow posted:

Are we talking "Return of the Wing snap, a feature length story"?

I had my wing blown off from a couple of .50 hits while on the ground which seems a bit excessive.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Just watched a MiG-15 and He-162 get wrecked by a Japanese Corsair.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Have the engines in arcade lost a ton of power? Rebuilding energy definitely feels more sluggish, and climbing to bomber height feels longer.

And this isn't on planes that lost the modification in the transition, if that's what you're thinking.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Apparently the comic sans in the cockpit of the Ho 229 is because that part of the instrumentation was handwritten, and Gaijin are physically capable of a) handwriting words or b) using a font that looks like the handwriting of any living human being.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

El Disco posted:

Especially when they're in a Canberra!

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to justify it with some stupid fake historical bullshit like that.

"Well you see historically new pilots to a bomber squadron were given a lovely used plane that didn't even carry bombs! :pseudo:"

I remember arguing with some retard on the WoT forums who claimed that T-34s should be given less view range because IRL "They padlocked the crews inside the tanks to keep them from abandoning them."

Azure Renraku
Oct 6, 2003

On the Beach, War Thunder edition

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

R2Y2 forever

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.
The R2Y2 is amazing... :stare: So loving fast for its BR, 4 cannons with buckets of ammo, super nimble, oh and a bomb. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh hey, they model wake turbulence now. Got within 100m of a friendly plane and I got the turbulence effect. Stopped as soon as I pulled up from behind him.

Neato.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fucknag posted:

Oh hey, they model wake turbulence now. Got within 100m of a friendly plane and I got the turbulence effect. Stopped as soon as I pulled up from behind him.

Neato.

It's pretty neato in race mode.

Race mode is kind of dumb, but it's easy as gently caress to finish top 1-3, soooo

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Feel like race mode could have been a lot cooler with guns - just make respawning happen fast and with the pack and it'd pretty much be WW2 Mario Kart.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Obs planes for the allies on Norway are Bf 110s. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I have been having my wings snap off on a regular basis from speed and G's. I have never in my life done that until today.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I title this piece "norway.jpg, or, the tier 1 pilot's lament"

e: so am I missing something, or am I going to need to fly a match as every single one of the planes which had their engine throttles removed/replaced with injection to get my RP refunded?

BBJoey fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 10, 2014

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

BBJoey posted:

e: so am I missing something, or am I going to need to fly a match as every single one of the planes which had their engine throttles removed/replaced with injection to get my RP refunded?

I mean, if you weren't going to fly them again, don't. They still count as spaded for Real Pilot, and if it really bugs you that bad, you can do 5+ of them at a time by flying arcade.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You don't understand, I need my spades :spergin::hf::qq: I guess it's not that bad.

Also holy gently caress the MC 202 is an invincible beast. Was it always this much of a beauty to fly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

BBJoey posted:

Just put as many as you can into a lineup and do a quick arcade match, it's not that big a deal.

• Locked thread