Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

renderful posted:

Nice farts. They remind me of the fartiest song I know. I heard this in an interesting state of mind and could not stop laughing.

https://soundcloud.com/adeodat-warfield/deborah

More like Adeodat Fartfield just jealous of his 5k+ plays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'm in the process of saving up for and shopping for my next synth (who isn't?). I have a midi controller I like, so I'm looking for a desktop synth. I want something more powerful than the Volcas I have. Features I'm looking for include:

-Polyphony/Paraphony
-More oscillator waveforms than a Volca (3+)
-Multimode filter a big plus
-Digital controls & patch memory
- < $1500

So here are the synths I've found worth considering:

Dave Smith Instruments Tetra
Elektron Analog 4
Waldorf Blofeld
Waldorf Pulse 2

Any other suggestions?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
If anyone wants into the facebook group have any of the goons here hit me up!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Let me in.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

AxeBreaker posted:

-Polyphony/Paraphony
- < $1500

Any other suggestions?

Let me tell you about another little synth from Korg ...

Or what about a used Prophet 08 rack? I also loved the Nord Rack/Lead 2X and I think you'll even get the newer versions for less than $1500. There is actually quite a lot out there. The Tetra however always seemed impossible to control without a computer.

Mrwimmer
Feb 18, 2014

VoodooXT posted:

Let me in.

Me too.

Also I got really weird and made an EP very separate from my usual material. Gameboy sludge/ shoegaze? Some robot-fart esque soundscape parts as well. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think. By no means complete, but consider it an OSCtober thang, I guess?

I also haven't split it up into tracks yet, for I am lazy.

https://soundcloud.com/mrwimmer/inheritence-powder-ep-sloppy-master-001/s-nLRRU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
gently caress, waffle can't even get himself banned right.
Next time try synthgoop.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Watching the 'hardcore edition' of I Dream Of Wires. I can feel the pull of Eurorack deep in my stomach...

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Yeah sure... But only if there's plenty of knob pics. :heysexy:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
*unzips dicoh wait, I wasted that on irc yesterday. HEY ALSO CHECK OUT THE SWEET IRC CHANNEL, you don't actually need to make music anyway synirc #synth

content: Axe- blofeld man, blofeld. They're so cheap you can't afford not to get one. Get one while you're deciding what to get.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

AxeBreaker posted:

I'm in the process of saving up for and shopping for my next synth (who isn't?). I have a midi controller I like, so I'm looking for a desktop synth. I want something more powerful than the Volcas I have. Features I'm looking for include:

-Polyphony/Paraphony
- < $1500

So here are the synths I've found worth considering:

Dave Smith Instruments Tetra
Elektron Analog 4
Waldorf Blofeld
Waldorf Pulse 2

Any other suggestions?

A Mutable Ambika would be an excellent option here. They're kits but their official forums have a 'trusted builder' list where you can buy them prebuilt from members of the community for $1100 - $1250: http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/2142/mutable-instruments-trusted-builders-list

6-voice polyphony, shitloads of waveforms, your choice of filters - multimode available - great sound, etc. etc. I wish I had the cash for one right now.

Edit: though you'd have to wait a little while for more kits to come into stock I think, unless any of the builders source parts themselves which is possible.

Edit2: you can also mix and match filter cards so you can have 5 multimode voices for polyphonic stuff and one ladder filter card for monophonic basslines and play them both at the same time from the same synth. It's such a cool instrument.

Anae fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 10, 2014

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

AxeBreaker posted:

Tell me what to buy

Used Virus TI or Polar.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My current "if I could start from scratch" synth in that category would be a DSI Poly Evolver.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

magiccarpet posted:

Used Virus TI or Polar.

Or get a used Virus B or C since they're way cheaper now.

Anyway, AxeBreaker, from that list, I would go with either of the Waldorfs, but this is coming from an unabashed Waldorf fanboy so take what you will.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Since you have Volca's maybe look at the King Korg?

Yes it's VA but from the list it didn't look like you had a problem with that.

Plus with CV gate out you can sync your Volca's with it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Owning the KingKorg, I don't see any value in it above a used Virus B or later. I feel that the KK has compromised too much in the name of simplicity.

Granted, I don't get any use from the Gate/CV so maybe that might tip the scales.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

a_big_dog posted:

Watching the 'hardcore edition' of I Dream Of Wires. I can feel the pull of Eurorack deep in my stomach...

So: my wife was in Japan when my copy of IDoW:HC showed up.

I watched it, and literally ordered several hundred dollars worth of bare PCBs and faceplates.

I do not even have a case or powersupply.

:getin:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

With the stated budget, for my money I'd go with the most advanced Virus that buys. For cheap, a used Blofeld, if you can find it between $300-$350 is amazing value for money though.

I have a weakness for the JP-8080 as well, but it apparently has some quirks I wouldn't want to deal with today.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Now that I have a Maths and can actually drive the couple of modules I've bought I'm starting to dig the modular workflow. Granted I haven't yet gotten to the point where I can route signal effectively (beyond robot flatulence) but there in lies the reason modular gets so obsessive/expensive. You need all the right functioning bits to do something really impressive with your sound. I had a wiggle session with my modular and SH-101 though and got some pretty cool results. Maybe I'll post it after some SIGNIFICANT editing down.

EDIT: Also don't buy a Blofeld. You get what you pay for

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

How is everyone sequencing their modular? I figured I'd just drive it with Ableton but I'm starting to dig the HexInverter and that new Audio Damage gear.

I'm in so much trouble.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I have a Turing Machine to generate noise/random patters/lock 8 or 16 bit patterns. The Pulses expansion is great for sending out extra clock at the same tempo but triggering at different intervals. Maths triggers drive the Turing for now. I got my hands on Doepfer bitcrusher as well which, sure, you can mangle audio with, but I'm experimenting with mangling CV sequences.

Also get some free drum samples you cunts! http://www.strangedynamix.com/99-drum-samples-from-99sounds/

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Are any of you https://soundcloud.com/gulfxlundgrenxtho ?

Pretty :nws: it's kinda like Analord, but with a lot more asses. Tracks are decent, but the titles are pretty great by themselves.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

How is everyone sequencing their modular? I figured I'd just drive it with Ableton but I'm starting to dig the HexInverter and that new Audio Damage gear.

I'm in so much trouble.

I also use a Turing Machine through a quantizer (uScale), as well as the MicroBrute's sequencer and an iPad with Little MIDI Machine and Das Lauflicht via the CVpal module. For triggers/gates I use a Stoicheia and uStep and of course the Pulses Turing Machine expansion.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Because OSCtober: https://soundcloud.com/renderful/am-i-ready-for-space

I left a Max patch I was working on running all night, and the above is what it was doing in the morning. I added reverb, eq and compression in Live.

renderful fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 11, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

EDIT: Also don't buy a Blofeld. You get what you pay for
Gotta disagree. I think the Blofeld is a great affordable alternative to the Virus TI or Snow.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

magiccarpet posted:

I'm in so much trouble.

I have an ES-1 for computer sequencing, a Rene, RCD, PP+Brains, etc. for pure modular sequencing.

It's all good.

Except for everyone here pimping Access stuff. For the money you could get a billion VSTi's (and a new computer, and a really good controller keyboard), but eh... gently caress it - let's go bowling.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I bought a used Electribe EMX and while it kind of sounds awful I love the thing and I have no problems recommending it as a "my first synth" because the thing is built like a tank and fun as heck to play around with.

I also have a blank template in Renoise that has everything set up to play well with the Electribe so I can queue up a few VSTs (usually Aly James' FMDrive) and boop around.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

magiccarpet posted:

I'm in so much trouble.

I control mine with ableton through a pittsburgh midi2 module (which is crap, don't get one) when I need the power of the piano roll. Otherwise I use a metropolis, couple of pressure points + a brains, an antimatter brain seed or my microbrute. The microbrute especially has surprised me with how well it integrates into the modular setup. For the price of one module you get a full synth voice and sequencer, an LFO and an EG. Nice.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Me, I want in.

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I just got an e-mail that my preordered Akai Rhythm Wolf shipped! I just checked Akai's website and a user guide is up. It does't document MIDI or other technical things, but it shows the general stuff. I have to admit that I like the documentation (as limited as this is) much better than Korg's...but that's not hard to beat.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Kind of osctober related: I just finished this release: https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/sets/our-mother-tongue which for me is a movement away from house/techno back to glitchy, microedited 2-step genres like I was originally interested in when I got into production. I'd love to hear you guys' thoughts.

All the sounds here (other than samples) were made with my custom synthedit stuff - all of these stopped working when I recently reinstalled my OS, for some reason. I need recommendations for some software while I build stuff again! Particularly a decent free monosynth (I don't get along with synth1, oatmeal or iblit, I don't know why), and a synth that can make/load custom wavetables and morph between them. I can maybe drop $50 on the second but would prefer free!

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give the Access virus synths a listen. I'm not too big on used gear so they may be out of reach. The Mutable Ambika may be a little too out there for me. I'll look at the DSI Poly Evolver too.

A Winner is Jew posted:

Since you have Volca's maybe look at the King Korg?

Yes it's VA but from the list it didn't look like you had a problem with that.

Plus with CV gate out you can sync your Volca's with it.

Well if I bought a King Korg I'd feel like an rear end because my midi controller has the same semi-weighted keys. Of course, it still has a chance because I know I like the keys and that's a big plus to me. The analog CV/out doesn't mean much though- - if I use the MIDI out on the KK for a Volca that sync wins by default. (I think it can be changed though).

MicroKorg? Um no. Not even the special edition black demo the local GC has on sale.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

field balm posted:

I need recommendations for some software while I build stuff again! Particularly a decent free monosynth (I don't get along with synth1, oatmeal or iblit, I don't know why), and a synth that can make/load custom wavetables and morph between them. I can maybe drop $50 on the second but would prefer free!
Wavetable related, Zebralette is pretty much what you are looking for, I think. I'd look at SynthMasterCM and Curve2CM as well, though the first doesn't do custom waveforms (long list to choose from though) and the second one can only crosfade between two custom ones. But it's good stuff and somewhat related. Aalto Solo (or Beat edition) is an interesting, flexible modular monosynth; shouldn't be too hard to understand with a background in Synthedit.

All these are stripped down versions of commercial synths. Some of them require hoops to jump through, like downloading the demo of the full version, making an account on some website or even buying a specific magazine. Not sure if you can even still get all of them. Zebralette shouldn't be a problem though.

In addition to that, some more generic recommendations for simple synths with good interfaces: TAL Noisemaker and Tone2 Firebird. Angular Momentum also has some okay freeware synths that lets you draw/save/load oscillators, but no morphing, or, lets you morph based on harmonics (but no drawing).

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

field balm posted:

I need recommendations for some software while I build stuff again! Particularly a decent free monosynth (I don't get along with synth1, oatmeal or iblit, I don't know why), and a synth that can make/load custom wavetables and morph between them. I can maybe drop $50 on the second but would prefer free!

For CM stuff, you probably also want Rapture. It definitely does the customer waveforms. It may be tied to a specific issue, like CM 200.

Also HG Fortune has released a ton of their old commercial VSTs for free, most of which use SF2 for oscillators: https://archive.org/details/HGFortuneNFG. I'm not sure about the morphing part, but I know some talk about modulation morphing.

AnnoyBot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 11, 2014

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Wafflehound posted:

Me too! Me too!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Time to try out Vocaloids:
http://tindeck.com/listen/vasm :downs:
..beep boop

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 11, 2014

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
It's surely been posted before but this is some serious GAS:

Alec Empire - Making of 'Shivers' + Interview pt.1: http://youtu.be/ycPZF0s-u30

I love how he's almost just wandering around like a kid in a candy shop. A far cry from his 909 and Atari days!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Guys I bought a modular today.

Guys I ran out of patch cables already.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

Time to try out Vocaloids:
http://tindeck.com/listen/vasm :downs:
..beep boop

Is there still not a Mac interface for this? I'd really like to play around with it. I've been messing with Realivox Blue lately. It's pretty when it works, but it seems fairly limited compared to Vocaloid.

Oh hey, while we're on the topic - does anyone have leads on good free or cheap speech synthesis packages that do relatively natural-sounding speech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Is there still not a Mac interface for this? I'd really like to play around with it. I've been messing with Realivox Blue lately. It's pretty when it works, but it seems fairly limited compared to Vocaloid.

Oh hey, while we're on the topic - does anyone have leads on good free or cheap speech synthesis packages that do relatively natural-sounding speech?

Looked around and I guess not :( It really is loads of fun, and I had no problem just jumping into it (with a background in DAWs, of course).

I'd also be interested in a speech synthesis VST of some sort. I know FL Studio has a built-in tool like that, and while it sounds extremely synthesized I kinda dig that sound.

Fun fact: While I've known about Vocaloids since they appeared (recovering Japanophile), I decided to check them out now after hearing Sad Machine by Porter Robinson. I thought at first he was using actual vocals and "digitizing" them by stretching vowels and stuff, but nope! Pure Vocaloid.

In fact, it's more or less literally right out of the box, as I found out by trying to recreate it!
Solo: http://tindeck.com/listen/pmdl
Original on left, recreation on right: http://tindeck.com/listen/ewbc

Vocaloids sure have come a long way since the awful-sounding Miku :monocle: