Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

I take some solace in that they are by-elections and they seem rather more prone to producing upsets. Indeed, upsets that are often rectified at the next general election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Regarde Aduck posted:

We're all meat animals. I bet people in this thread taste great. All those waitroes diets. Such rich delicate flesh.

You'd have to scrub some of them pretty well before cooking though.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

mrpwase posted:

You'd have to scrub some of them pretty well before cooking though.

Those are the organic, free-range ones, they have that unique archeological dig site terroir.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

XMNN posted:

It's official, we have our first UKIP MP.

At least the Lib Dems lost their deposit.

Now that UKIP and the Greens have an equal number of MPs, will we see equal coverage of them on the Beeb?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Party Boat posted:

Now that UKIP and the Greens have an equal number of MPs, will we see equal coverage of them on the Beeb?

Clacton, what hath thou wrought? Ebola can't come fast enough, and I'm keeping the TV off, as I can't bear to see Farage wanking himself into a purple fury.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Party Boat posted:

Indeed, five minutes of every hour on BBC channels will now be devoted to praising UKIP to balance out all that lefty bias the corporation has. If a second UKIP MP is elected a weekly half hour primetime show will feature Nigel delivering a lecture from a pub that culminates in an immigrant being sacrificed to the Volcano God thus fixing all of Britain's problems for the week.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Indeed, five minutes of every hour on BBC channels will now be devoted to praising UKIP to balance out all that lefty bias the corporation has. If a second UKIP MP is elected a weekly half hour primetime show will feature Nigel delivering a lecture from a pub that culminates in an immigrant being sacrificed to the Volcano God thus fixing all of Britain's problems for the week.

Will they also burn a few gays to stop this drizzle?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
I live near Clacton. It is a terrible place.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
What lovely news. We're gonna get some sort of unholy trinity of a Tory/LibDem/UKIP coalition aren't we? :negative:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm been trying to figure out for ages who Farage and Carswell remind me of standing together and I've decided it's muppets. Not in the sense of calling them idiots or whatever, I mean they physically resemble Jim Henson's beloved puppet characters made flesh. Either that or Canadians from South Park, with their big split mouths and gigantic foreheads.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Quite unlike Red Ed's noble, handsome mien.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Saki posted:

Or the delightful Chief Secretary to the Treasury who is absolutely not Dr Honeydew Bunsen's colleague.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Saki posted:

Oh no! Saki! You got him, right in his centre-right Labour-loving heart! :rolleyes:

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Or the delightful Chief Secretary to the Treasury who is absolutely not Dr Honeydew Bunsen's colleague.

I hear Danny has a very nice personality.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
It's hard not to feel sorry for a man with literally no bones in his face

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Seaside Loafer posted:

Why are the greens being touted as 'not - genuine', they have a lots of bollocks i know but if you are a lefty its gotta be closet to your worldview surely. being a party member im kinda biased though. no i dont believe in homeopathy and could give a gently caress about how painfully meat animals die.

its the long-termism that got me before i even knew about the zillion different ways of saying the same thing

Really I think left /right is a bit of a trite statement these days. I'm talking real political alternative that is born from the occupy movements etc. quite suprised nobody is cooking anything up. I don't mean to sound offensive but the Green Party feels like a polluted brand (pun intended tho) to the general public. Don't see them ever being viable in the eyes of say Mondeo Man

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

CareyB posted:

Really I think left /right is a bit of a trite statement these days. I'm talking real political alternative that is born from the occupy movements etc. quite suprised nobody is cooking anything up. I don't mean to sound offensive but the Green Party feels like a polluted brand (pun intended tho) to the general public. Don't see them ever being viable in the eyes of say Mondeo Man

The Occupy movement actually highlights how important traditional political organisation is. The movement's lack of clear goals and allergy to any kind of leadership or organisation allowed people like Justine Tunney to gain prominence and publicity from the Occupy brand.

Who is Justine Tunney? If you've missed the hilarious threads in D&D and YOSPOS this Gawker article will have to suffice: Why Does Google Employ a Pro-Slavery Lunatic?. Tunney is notable for her continued insistence that Google CEO Eric Schmidt should be appointed dictator CEO of America and for her support of the Dark Enlightenment, neo-Fascism for valley bros. That she has been quite open about her awful views and her employment at Google also raises some less funny questions about Google.

While offshoots of Occupy have engaged in genuinely beneficial actions such as helping people fight foreclosure and engaging in cleanup and community support in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy its lack of overarching organisation means there is no real response from Occupy to her hijacking of the Occupy twitter account and use of her Occupy connections to promote truly despicable views. Certainly Labour gave Mosley his start but it was also in a position to robustly oppose him and the BUF when he became a fascist.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Agreed completely. I've only recently started following occupy properly and it was a bit wtf to see the same already debunked image coming onto Facebook 2 or 3 times.

PIGEOTO
Sep 11, 2007

Saki posted:

I live near Clacton. It is a terrible place.

I went there once, but never ever again holy poo poo.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Clacton's my parent's constituency and my dad voted for UKIP. I think it's mostly because he likes Carswell though, apparently he's pretty charismatic. He insists he's 'not that bad' whenever I bring up how he wants to privatise the NHS...

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Umiapik posted:

I don't believe any more that the Ukip vote is going to vanish come the general election. This is supposed to be a Labour safe seat!
I don't think anyone said it was going to vanish, just that it wouldn't have much impact in the North. I also don't think the Heywood result really changes that given the low turnout and the overhanging local issues.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Clacton is poor. People have had thirty years of no good jobs, lovely, low-paid part time work and a general sense of being ignored. The real value of wages has been eroding fast and somewhere like Clacton, which starts from a low base, isn't exactly well-placed to weather that. They've been fed a poo poo sandwich for three decades while watching the richer half of London soar away into the stratosphere, and when the haves even bother to notice the have-nots it's to sneer at them for being racist provincial idiots. Now the entire political establishment is clutching its pearls because they've had the temerity to vote for UKIP.

I don't want UKIP to do well, but it's immensely pleasing watching the big parties (and especially Labour, jesus christ) getting a series of repeated bloody noses. Maybe they'll finally start paying attention to the people who they were literally founded to represent.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I posted the 14 words on HYS in response to someone prattling on about the rights of BRITISH CHILDREN. Got up voted very nicely until someone caught on and got it pulled :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Zephro posted:

I don't want UKIP to do well, but it's immensely pleasing watching the big parties (and especially Labour, jesus christ) getting a series of repeated bloody noses. Maybe they'll finally start paying attention to the people who they were literally founded to represent.

They already have been paying attention to those people, with finely crafted scaremongering and scapegoating. UKIP just ran with it harder.

If they'd won based on promises to invest in the area and help people you could be optimistic, but like that article points out, when you show people what UKIP's policies actually are and how they're not in the voters' interests, they say they don't care. That's a recipe for more right-wing politics, not less

I suppose one thing Labour can't emulate is UKIP's anti-establishment gimmick, so it'll be harder to compete unless they can make big promises that connect with people, and trade on their ability to actually win power and enact them. Given their track record though I can see them doubling down on the right-wing rhetoric, since they seem committed to being Tory Lite instead of offering an alternative vision

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 10, 2014

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, UKIP's success is based on the prevailing media narrative of 'all the nation's woes are due to X external enemy'. There is no sense in which this move is positive. It simply raises the spectre of the major parties chasing for the extremist vote.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sky News headline: "IS UKIP THE PARTY FOR ALL BRITONS?" One would think a cursory analysis of the facts would provide the answer, which is "No, just the white ones who were born here".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

baka kaba posted:

They already have been paying attention to those people, with finely crafted scaremongering and scapegoating. UKIP just ran with it harder.

If they'd won based on promises to invest in the area and help people you could be optimistic, but like that article points out, when you show people what UKIP's policies actually are and how they're not in the voters' interests, they say they don't care. That's a recipe for more right-wing politics, not less

I suppose one thing Labour can't emulate is UKIP's anti-establishment gimmick, so it'll be harder to compete unless they can make big promises that connect with people, and trade on their ability to actually win power and enact them. Given their track record though I can see them doubling down on the right-wing rhetoric, since they seem committed to being Tory Lite instead of offering an alternative vision

Face it, the media would give Labour a huge bollocking if they didn't keep to the narrative of "this shows the British public have run out of patience with immigration and/or the EU, when will the major parties finally do something about this" yadda yadda. There is no room for alternative visions.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm striking on Monday! Although given the level and organisation of the unions at my workplace itll probably be more 'showing up to work later and hoping legal protections actually mean something'.....

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jedit posted:

Sky News headline: "IS UKIP THE PARTY FOR ALL BRITONS?" One would think a cursory analysis of the facts would provide the answer, which is "No, just the white ones who were born here".

Nationalism is parlor room racism.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Isn't that the difference between BRITONS and British People?

When talking about people, Britons tends to be used in the thinly veiled racism sense of 'indigenous', whereas British tends to be used in the sense of 'citizen'.

(Is there a version of :britain: with that gently caress Griffin crying on it?)

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

namesake posted:

I'm striking on Monday! Although given the level and organisation of the unions at my workplace itll probably be more 'showing up to work later and hoping legal protections actually mean something'.....

What union/sector (if you don't mind me asking)? This is us at the moment, though I doubt it'll come to strike in the end.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Bobstar posted:

What union/sector (if you don't mind me asking)? This is us at the moment, though I doubt it'll come to strike in the end.

Unison/healthcare. Little bit nervous because the other parts of my team are away and no one knows I'm a union member so the chances of my managers being unhappy are quite large. I'm not in a hospital though so no one will die.

Have you contacted any of the Ritzy staff in Brixton? They've been striking over pay just recently although I don't know the final outcome of that.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ good luck!

Fangz posted:

Face it, the media would give Labour a huge bollocking if they didn't keep to the narrative of "this shows the British public have run out of patience with immigration and/or the EU, when will the major parties finally do something about this" yadda yadda. There is no room for alternative visions.

That's accepting they've won though - and yeah, they pretty much have, but that's with Labour's complicity. If they even challenged anything the government says or does (and there's a lot of public backing for things like defending the NHS from 'efficiency savings' and reorganisation) it would open up space for alternatives to be discussed.

But they pretty much accept what the government says, vow to do it slightly less, and just make contrarian noises that everyone recognises as opposition politics at work. To the point where interviewers can hoist them by their own petard just by asking for more detail beyond the crafted statement, and you get to watch a Labour politician struggle to keep on-message because their party's actual position is similar to the government's.

It's transparent and painful to watch and makes them look like opportunists, so it's no wonder people are so disenchanted. UKIP's unfiltered honesty about all their lovely opinions is probably a refreshing change for a lot of people

But yeah, the media would give Labour a tough ride but they'd at least find it hard to avoid reporting what the party says and does. A real opposition would mean holding the Tories to account and advancing an entirely different vision than austerity and privatisation. They'd build support just by publicly advocating it. Right now it's more like accepting and following the Tory line but hesitating in the execution, which makes it easy for the Tories to paint them as just a weak and irresponsible knockoff

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Unless they're women, young, poor, or any combination that doesn't add up to bald/ing red faced fat white man.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

There's still just under seven months before the election. Official campaigning hasn't even started, and the debate(s) could change everything. A Labour victory doesn't look as clear cut as you'd expect. I mean, I hope they win (as far as I really hope the Tories and UKIP lose), but it's not close to finished yet.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

baka kaba posted:

I know, and this is why I hope they don't carry on doing well. But that John Harris article I posted a few days back addresses this directly. When he explained UKIP's policies to people, their response was basically "I don't care, I just want to give the established parties the boot". They don't care because they've been voting Labour (or Tory) for three decades without seeing any improvements come from it.

quote:

The thing is, Labour was founded as an anti-establishment party. There's plenty of space on the left to start opposing the cosy oligopolies and old-boys networks that make up the establishment in modern Britain. The Labour party as it currently exists - a bunch of assembly-line Oxbridge androids who just parrot the received wisdom whenever you pull their cords - would struggle to, but the historical Labour party wouldn't.

Kraxis
May 14, 2007

namesake posted:

Unison/healthcare. Little bit nervous because the other parts of my team are away and no one knows I'm a union member so the chances of my managers being unhappy are quite large. I'm not in a hospital though so no one will die.

Have you contacted any of the Ritzy staff in Brixton? They've been striking over pay just recently although I don't know the final outcome of that.

I only heard this second hand, I'm a lodger and my landlord is a shop steward for his union so he was following the strike pretty closely, and boycotting the Ritzy while the strike was on. Apparently they're back to work, they were striking for a London Living Wage and I don't think they were offered that, but they did get some sort of pay increase.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I do find it fairly ridiculous that speculation on Farage being included in the leadership debates has begun with no mention of the Greens being included. I would vote green if they weren't so absurdly anti science and wanking off over shutting down perfectly safe nuclear.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh God are UKIP going to want to be in on the debates? poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

The thing is, Labour was founded as an anti-establishment party. There's plenty of space on the left to start opposing the cosy oligopolies and old-boys networks that make up the establishment in modern Britain. The Labour party as it currently exists - a bunch of assembly-line Oxbridge androids who just parrot the received wisdom whenever you pull their cords - would struggle to, but the historical Labour party wouldn't.
There's space on the left for doing that, but there's no guarantee you could do it while maintaining a broad enough base of support to be competitive at the national level. Nobody wants to be the king of a bunch of passionate and engaged losers.

e:

Lord Twisted posted:

I do find it fairly ridiculous that speculation on Farage being included in the leadership debates has begun with no mention of the Greens being included. I would vote green if they weren't so absurdly anti science and wanking off over shutting down perfectly safe nuclear.
UKIP are polling in double figures, the Greens aren't and won't be for the foreseeable future. It's only the nature of FPTP that's keeping them from being a major force whereas there's nothing to suggest the Greens are capable of getting much more than the 5-10% of the vote they achieve in most European countries.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 10, 2014

• Locked thread