Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
King is good when he wants to be. Ok ok. He was better when high as gently caress on coke. I'm not sure what happened after that car accident but...eh.

The short story The Crate is truly brilliant from a symbolic point of view. Read it and ask the question "what is the real monster".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

butplug accident posted:

Why? All i read was his On Writing and it sucked

probably because he's the most important modern horror author, and the second-most influential dude on horror after george romero

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

Why? All i read was his On Writing and it sucked

You're terrible.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
goons love kraft

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Helical Nightmares posted:

Joshi is a funded professor. But hey, not all of us do research before posting an opinion.

Why would i have to do research or care

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

King is good when he wants to be. Ok ok. He was better when high as gently caress on coke. I'm not sure what happened after that car accident but...eh.

The short story The Crate is truly brilliant from a symbolic point of view. Read it and ask the question "what is the real monster".

His short stories are great. He also knows how to write books that people buy, and Hollywood makes movies of. If you discount what Steven King says, you are retarded!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

redshirt posted:

You're terrible.

You're a 45 year old man who identifies strongly with star trek and works for free moderating a forum

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

butplug accident posted:

You're a 45 year old man who identifies strongly with star trek and works for free moderating a forum

lmao

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

probably because he's the most important modern horror author, and the second-most influential dude on horror after george romero

TIL

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Steven King is hit and miss. Some of his stories and the things that came from them revolutionized horror. As much as King hated The Shining motion picture, it wouldn't have existed without him and the Shining was a groundbreaking horror movie.

Misery is another good book of his. The movie is good as well. I would actually suggest the movie over the book because the book is so much more disturbing to read. King's horror is pretty scary stuff.

I always find it hilarious that "Langoliers" got turned into a miniseries on TV. talk about random.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Effectronica posted:

Land of the Dead had a magical negro zombie in it.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I used the power of math to see the beginning of time, then get butt hosed by horrible time/dimension monsters that like to eat your head.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

eventually, romero will have his own 11/22/63

Tsinava posted:

Steven King is hit and miss. Some of his stories and the things that came from them revolutionized horror. As much as King hated The Shining motion picture, it wouldn't have existed without him and the Shining was a groundbreaking horror movie.

Misery is another good book of his. The movie is good as well. I would actually suggest the movie over the book because the book is so much more disturbing to read. King's horror is pretty scary stuff.

I always find it hilarious that "Langoliers" got turned into a miniseries on TV. talk about random.

he outright explains some of why this is the case in danse macabre, too. he's cool.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Wicker Man posted:

I used the power of math top-quality chinese cocaine to see the beginning of time, then get butt hosed by horrible time/dimension monsters that like to eat your head.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
why he hated the shining?

I think it's because he wrote the story to be about ghosts that drove an otherwise perfectly normal father insane, whereas the movie portrays Jack as an already somewhat abusive husband and an alcoholic and King hated that they messed up his character.

Unless you mean something else.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

eventually, romero will have his own 11/22/63

he outright explains some of why this is the case in danse macabre, too. he's cool.

He went crazy for a while after he got hit by that van. But the new gunslinger story was awesome!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tsinava posted:

why he hated the shining?

I think it's because he wrote the story to be about ghosts that drove an otherwise perfectly normal father insane, whereas the movie portrays Jack as an already somewhat abusive husband and an alcoholic and King hated that they messed up his character.

Unless you mean something else.

nah. he writes in it, during a piece on how there are three ways evoking emotion with a scary story, that he will always go for the lowest level, gross-out, because he knows he can nail it and get a response. but it's interesting because you get the impression that he's joking around in the book about how much he hates the shining, and then, haha, no, gently caress you constant reader, i really do hate it.

edit: also, if anything i think his beef is over how the movie is antihumanistic compared to his humanistic novel

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

You're a 21 year old schizophrenic who lives with his parents and probably always will. And?

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Wicker Man posted:

I used the power of math to see the beginning of time, then get butt hosed by horrible time/dimension monsters that like to eat your head.

You burned, duder. This is not possible.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

You're a 21 year old schizophrenic who lives with his parents and probably always will. And?

your both gross!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
This dude old enough to be my dad has a huge beef with me for calling him gay a few times in GBS which is loving funny to me, and he's gullible as gently caress too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

your both gross!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

butplug accident posted:

This dude old enough to be my dad has a huge beef with me for calling him gay a few times in GBS which is loving funny to me, and he's gullible as gently caress too

How about this?

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Lagrange posted:

You burned, duder. This is not possible.

There was another story where the narrator was some :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: who used his massive understanding of mathematics to astral project and see 'god', the blind-idiot god Azathoth and pretty much started wetting his pants at what he was witnessing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

redshirt posted:

How about this?

farking cool and good, red shirt

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Effectronica posted:

nah. he writes in it, during a piece on how there are three ways evoking emotion with a scary story, that he will always go for the lowest level, gross-out, because he knows he can nail it and get a response. but it's interesting because you get the impression that he's joking around in the book about how much he hates the shining, and then, haha, no, gently caress you constant reader, i really do hate it.

edit: also, if anything i think his beef is over how the movie is antihumanistic compared to his humanistic novel

Oh! Well that actually makes quite a bit of sense. I learned something about King today.

This is a nice thread, and it's well modded too.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

You should all read Michel Houellebecq's "H. P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life". Nice short book about why Lovecraft is legit good and important.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
There was another story that wasn't written by HP, but rather by one of his fan boys which I always found to be rather :shobon:. Something about how some guys brother had a knack for picking up psychic-euclidean signals that allowed him to travel to what was basically a magical otherworld. He left behind a key for his little brother who was slowly developing the same abilities that would allow him to join his brother in that strange but wondrous world :unsmith:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Tommyknockers is just the weirdest story.

"And then, aliens..." Sure. Whatever King. You already passed the point of incredulity. :catstare:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I haven't read his stories in a while. I should pick up my Lovecraft books again and do so.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

redshirt posted:

How about this?

wow.
not cool redshirt.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

what's that Lovecraft story about the grave robbers who are Sherlock and Watson that is also a Poe story and is basically him all mad that he isn't as famous as all these better writers?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Lovecraft influenced a lot of modern writers, even before his recent upswing of internet fame.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

what's that Lovecraft story about the grave robbers who are Sherlock and Watson that is also a Poe story and is basically him all mad that he isn't as famous as all these better writers?

The Hound is the only thing that seems to fit with grave robbers. I don't know where you are getting Sherlock and Watson vibes though.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

prolly reanimator

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Pumpy Muffinz posted:

prolly reanimator

I think you are right.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

I think you are right.

The dude in the movie is TOTALLY a goon.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The Hound is the only thing that seems to fit with grave robbers. I don't know where you are getting Sherlock and Watson vibes though.

Maybe I'm getting The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Hound mixed up or something or maybe 'cause there is character named St. John and John Watson or I don't know wtf. I remember thinking that when I read it but I was probably just high out my mind.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Unless you are talking about A Study in Emerald which is Gaiman Cthulhu/Sherlock Homes mashup, to muddy the waters further.

http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

There is a duo of grave robbers, one named St. John, in the Hound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

the story about how some foreigners traveled through a town and when the rear end in a top hat old couple killed their cat the foreigners cursed them and all the cats in the town showed up to their house devoured them a few nights later

• Locked thread