Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I kinda hope this show is super bleak. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hallo spacedog posted:

I kinda hope this show is super bleak. .

Or has Muppets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vftf8TTve4s

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Por que no los dos?

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
If you love Badalamenti's soundtrack, you need some Bohren in your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

They played a beautiful rendition of the Fire Walk With Me-theme when I saw them.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

ElectricWizard posted:

If you love Badalamenti's soundtrack, you need some Bohren in your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

They played a beautiful rendition of the Fire Walk With Me-theme when I saw them.

yeah when I found this band the first thing I thought was it sounds like twin peaks.

Their first album sounded like what you'd hear in the black lodge

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And let's not forget about this business: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGmAaBgSFj8

When I first started watching the show and saw the opening titles I was all like "What the poo poo, KLF did the soundtrack?"

E: Which is probably because they just sampled it like they did everything else, but you know

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

It seems the following actors have expressed their interest in participating in S3 since announcement (no guarantee they'll be included):
Kyle MacLachlan (Cooper)
Peggy Lipton (Norma)
Mädchen Amick (Shelly)
Ian Buchanan (Dick)
Michael Anderson (Little man)
Piper Laurie (Catherine)
Ray Wise (Leland)

However, the following actors have died:
Don Davis (Major Briggs)
Frank Silva (Bob)
Jack Nance (Pete)

The following actors have largely or entirely retired from acting, who knows if they'll come out of retirement:
Michael Ontkean (Harry)
Richard Beymer (Ben)
Eric da Re (Leo)
Harry Goaz (Andy)
Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna - (TV series))
Warren Frost (Dr Hayward)
Everett McGill (Big Ed)
Al Strobel (One-Armed Man)
Carel Struyken (the Giant)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Clouseau posted:

Someone posted all of them on youtube, here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTXZupRCVCo

And this one made the drawer pull scene even more mystifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLk5fIM4vww

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
I have never seen this show. I have wanted to watch this show for many years. I finally have my hands on season one, season 2, and fire walk with me.

I've been reading this and I just can't believe I've waited this long, but I think in a way it's good because I know I'll really appreciate it now. I can't overstate how excited I am to begin watching it when I get home.

Any suggestions of things to look out for specifically? Or if there's something I should go into it knowing? I'm quite good at following obscure clues and story lines (and finding little tie-together things)

Also, should I watch season one twice before season 2? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything, but my plan was to watch it fully through twice in order.

Boss Man Bing fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 9, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a traditional mystery show, so going into it with your eyes open looking for clues to future developments isn't really the tack you want to take. This is a show in which law enforcement decides what to do by having staff line up and throw rocks at bottles, after all. It's a David Lynch mystery: it comes out of the subconcious, it works on dream logic. Just go into it with an open mind and a clear heart, let things wash over you, and you'll enjoy yourself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Put it another way—there won't be a twist that you "should have seen coming" or anything like that. poo poo will just sort of go off in odd directions that nobody could have predicted.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boss Man Bing posted:

I have never seen this show. I have wanted to watch this show for many years. I finally have my hands on season one, season 2, and fire walk with me.

I've been reading this and I just can't believe I've waited this long, but I think in a way it's good because I know I'll really appreciate it now. I can't overstate how excited I am to begin watching it when I get home.

Any suggestions of things to look out for specifically? Or if there's something I should go into it knowing? I'm quite good at following obscure clues and story lines (and finding little tie-together things)

Also, should I watch season one twice before season 2? I just want to make sure I don't miss anything, but my plan was to watch it fully through twice in order.

Its probably better the first time you watch to just go with the flow. If you try to decipher every single mysterious sounding line of dialogue you'll go insane. Save that for the second viewing when you already know the basic framework of the story.

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Boss Man Bing posted:

No I would just watch it. It's not as dense as you are assuming.

My only advice would be don't force your way through the end of season two. It's not good, literally no one thinks it's good (except for the finale). You're gonna want to watch it the first time, but go ahead and space it out. You've got until 2016 after all.

The break between good and bad doesn't happen right at season one/season two but after a thing happens. You'll know the thing when you get to it.

Oh, the other thing is DON'T WATCH THE MOVIE FIRST. Watch the movie last. It takes place first, but watch it last.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've seen a couple of "25 Questions the New 'Twin Peaks' NEEDS to Answer" articles floating around, and I can honestly say.....I don't need anything from this show except more of the show. Okay, and Cooper -- Cooper must be in it in some capacity. Other than that, I don't care, I just want to experience more of this world and more of David Lynch's psyche coming at me from the TV.

Really the only thing that actually matters out of any of this is that they are giving David Lynch 9 hours of TV.

Otto von Ruthless fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Otto von Ruthless posted:

My only advice would be don't force your way through the end of season two. It's not good, literally no one thinks it's good (except for the finale).

It's not so bad, as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
All I know is that it's going to be hard to make a new season of Twin Peaks without Sheriff Truman. So hopefully Michael Ontkean is on board.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

All I know is that it's going to be hard to make a new season of Twin Peaks without Sheriff Truman. So hopefully Michael Ontkean is on board.

I feel the same way about like eight different characters, so I'm thinking watching this will be a very bittersweet experience.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Madchen Amick is retweeting lots of Twin Peaks tweets, so yeah, I guess she wants to be on board.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I'll follow your directions. I will post after I've watched the first couple of episodes, I'll probably get through four tonight, and I'll make sure to save the movie for the end. I like to watch shows a couple times through so I'm glad that's the better way to do it with this one. I'm very excited. I've been reading about it at work instead of working because I just want to get home and dive in.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I would say that anyone that was in the Psych reunion episode would be willing.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The following actors have largely or entirely retired from acting, who knows if they'll come out of retirement:
Michael Ontkean (Harry)
Richard Beymer (Ben)
Eric da Re (Leo)
Harry Goaz (Andy)
Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna - (TV series))
Warren Frost (Dr Hayward)
Everett McGill (Big Ed)
Al Strobel (One-Armed Man)
Carel Struyken (the Giant)

Could have sworn i saw Ben's actor post a tweet that said hed want to return and He hopes his character didn't die in the finale

Otto von Ruthless posted:

My only advice would be don't force your way through the end of season two. It's not good, literally no one thinks it's good (except for the finale). You're gonna want to watch it the first time, but go ahead and space it out. You've got until 2016 after all.

Having just rewatched the second season. Theres still some decent stuff intermingled in the bad, though the bad is truly bad.
And while most people say the show sucks until the finale, I'd disagree and say the quality starts rising much sooner than that. Really after josie dies in the closest thing to a jump the shark scene this show has, the show manages to recover almost right away. Aside from the nonsensical assassin after harry plotline the show resurfaces pretty quick. The 3rd to last episode especially has some great sequences like the slow zoom out with cooper and annie and the ominous tone that begins and ends each scene

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

It's not so bad, as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Season 2 isn't so bad as long as you can keep the James from your mind

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, Super Nadine... Nadine in general. :shepicide:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Also just never get the idea into your head that Wyndham Earle will be at all cool or anywhere near a corrupted double of Cooper, or smart, or interesting, or have anything to do with the narrative. Just assume he will be Frank Gorshin from the old Batman show instead and all will be as you expect.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

King Vidiot posted:

Hawk is the new sheriff, Truman is the new log lady.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

It's going to be strange seeing Twin Peaks set in the 2010's. I mean the police station equipped with flat-screen computers, the business people at meetings in The Great Northern tapping away at I-pads, ect.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
If this is successful, can a second season of On the Air be far behind?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr64M6OeE94

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

I guess you could say that about most anything in life. It's not so bad as long as you can keep the fear from your mind.

Dale knows how to get rid of fear

"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing....only I will remain"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

crowoutofcontext posted:

It's going to be strange seeing Twin Peaks set in the 2010's. I mean the police station equipped with flat-screen computers, the business people at meetings in The Great Northern tapping away at I-pads, ect.

I guess we'll learn how right Harry was when he said that Twin Peaks paid a price to remain secluded from the modern world.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

I guess we'll learn how right Harry was when he said that Twin Peaks paid a price to remain secluded from the modern world.

It will be like Pawnee.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I can't remember where but I saw someone mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a great possible new cast member - that would be perfect casting. I can pretty much picture him as Cooper's son (not the role I want him to play, but think about how well he'd fit in.)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

el oso posted:

I can't remember where but I saw someone mention Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a great possible new cast member - that would be perfect casting. I can pretty much picture him as Cooper's son (not the role I want him to play, but think about how well he'd fit in.)
You probably saw it on SA's front page:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/twin-peaks-expanded/3/

quote:

Twin Peaks: Generation 2.0 (2014-, CBS TV)
Audrey Horne and Special Agent Dale Cooper's son, Blane (played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt), communicates with his dead father, now trapped in the Black Lodge, by way of hallucinations and uses insights garnered from these visions to better understand the way serial killers think. Currently in pre-production. The series is reported to be "dazzling" and "shocking" and it will "change the way you think about serial killer TV shows." The show's creators promise to remain faithful to the original by including extremely long scenes of people crying. "Fans of the original will feel right at home."

I wish all of these projects were real.

SCARYJEINFELD
Oct 30, 2012

It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.
The only character I want them to bring back is Denise, aka cross-dressing David Duchovny

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boss Man Bing posted:

Be sure that whatever set you're watching includes the pilot, some older sets don't. Make sure it specifically says "pilot"; "episode one" is not the pilot. And make absolutely sure you watch the American version of the pilot; the European extended version was basically made as a full movie so a lot of stuff that happens in that version (like characters dying) doesn't happen in the actual series. It can be very confusing.

I'm also not sure why some people think most of season two was bad. I'd say only three or four episodes in the middle are bad, and even those aren't terrible if you skip any scenes involving James or Nadine. Honestly, I thought the last five or six episodes were really great.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

Found it - it was actually a Vulture article.

I would say that every episode from the start of the series until the conclusion of Laura's killer is very good. It then takes a dip for 5ish episodes and starts to ramp back up until the 2nd season finale, which is amazing.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Deakul posted:

Also, Super Nadine... Nadine in general. :shepicide:

If you don't like a plot about someone who can only be happy when suffering from severe brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

The execution is super goofy but that's Twin Peaks all over.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Party Boat posted:

If you don't like a plot about someone who can only be happy when suffering from severe brain damage I don't know what to tell you.

The execution is super goofy but that's Twin Peaks all over.

Personally, the redeeming moment for me was when Nadine kicks Hank's sorry rear end. It's so cathartic!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Silencio is a band that has wholly patterned their sound and style after Badalamenti's soundtracks for Lynch's works, even covering several of his recordings. They have a stunningly gorgeous girl singer who would look right at home on stage in Twin Peaks.

Here's "Slow Sin Jazz":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEo0acfbM-Y

And they have an album:
http://www.delsilencio.net/

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

I'm currently watching episode 1 after watching the pilot. HOLY poo poo WHEN HER MOTHER SEES THE GUY. I'm still watching right now, it's spooky. I just saw the one armed man for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Boss Man Bing posted:

I'm currently watching episode 1 after watching the pilot. HOLY poo poo WHEN HER MOTHER SEES THE GUY. I'm still watching right now, it's spooky. I just saw the one armed man for the first time.

You're in for a good time.

• Locked thread