Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Zorak posted:

On the subject of eternal format bannings, there's a lot of people already asking for Treasure Cruise to be banned, which is kind of weird / quick.

Sorcery speed Ancestral Recall: too good for modern and probably even legacy. But yeah, I pretty much called this when it was first spoiled. Especially considering there are 3 other cards that are already banned that Delvecestral is just better than. It really is an absurd card. Hopefully they at least let me test it before banning it; I haven't gotten to play modern recently and playing it off of Deathrite in legacy Jund seems too greedy even for me. Maybe I'll try BUG again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Oh god... So much shame... I played a swiss draft on mtgo, and I lost my first two matches against Abzan (I was playing Sultai). I blame basically all of my losses on my lands... I never had a starting hand with 3 or more lands

I won the third match because the other worst player-person dropped out...

So I got a polluted Delta, and a pack of khans, which I think means the draft paid for itself?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Gensuki posted:

Oh god... So much shame... I played a swiss draft on mtgo, and I lost my first two matches against Abzan (I was playing Sultai). I blame basically all of my losses on my lands... I never had a starting hand with 3 or more lands

I won the third match because the other worst player-person dropped out...

So I got a polluted Delta, and a pack of khans, which I think means the draft paid for itself?

Nope. MTGO prices (at least, on rares) tends to be pretty deflated in comparison to paper. Delta's just not going to be worth enough to cover the other 2 packs and 2 tickets.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I just did an extremely frustrating paper draft. I drafted BGUw, splashing for Siege Rhino and Abzan Charm. I had 4 trilands and 5 or 6 duals, so my mana was actually extremely consistent.

I lost in the first round to a 4 color deck that I beat game 1, then he beat me game 2 with Abzan Guide with Molting Snakeskin and Dragon Grip attacched (and I had a 2/8 blocker). I couldn't draw an answer and it killed me. Then in the third game I drew 12 lands to 5 nonlands and he milled me out with Altar of the Brood + Bloodsoaked Champion. Then he dropped and I won my next 4 rounds.

In my first three rounds, each of my opponents had Duneblast and Abzan Guides in their deck. This was my deck by the way:

2 Opulent Palace
Mystic Monastery
Frontier Bivouac
Thornwood Falls
2 Scoured Barrens
2 Blossoming Sands
1 Island
4 Swamps
4 Forest

Disowned Ancestor
2 Archer's Parapet
Heir of the Wilds
Smoke Teller
Alpine Grizzly
Siege Rhino
Longshot Squad
Sultai Soothsayer
Rotting Mastodon
Sagu Archer
Pine Walker
2 Abomination of Gudul
Kheru Lich-lord
Shambling Attendants

Debilitating Injury
Disdainful Stroke
Savage Punch
Abzan Charm
Sultai Ascendancy
Dragonscale Boon
Murderous Cut
Treasure Cruise

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nope. MTGO prices (at least, on rares) tends to be pretty deflated in comparison to paper. Delta's just not going to be worth enough to cover the other 2 packs and 2 tickets.

7 tickets for the land, then I got 1 pack which is...3 tickets? net loss of 4 tickets and some salt...

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Didn't people want TNN banned right off the bat? Gotta let metas adjust before bannings.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
TNN was overhyped. When it was new, you could sell them for the price of the deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

Didn't people want TNN banned right off the bat? Gotta let metas adjust before bannings.

TNN doesn't kill on turn 2 before you can draw any card that stops it (Erase seems a little too deep) or through several cards that should stop it. And for what it's worth, I'd still be fine with TNN being banned. What a boring card.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

suicidesteve posted:

TNN doesn't kill on turn 2 before you can draw any card that stops it (Erase seems a little too deep) or through several cards that should stop it. And for what it's worth, I'd still be fine with TNN being banned. What a boring card.

I should've clarified, I'm referring to cruise/dig in legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Molybdenum posted:

I should've clarified, I'm referring to cruise/dig in legacy.

Oh, ok. Yeah it seems preemptive. I can definitely see it happening, but it's not like Ascendency where it's clearly overpowered and broken. It probably is too powerful but at least give people a chance to adjust. For my part, I'm going to play a Notion Thief main in BUG and Chains of Mephistofeles main in Jund over my 2nd Library (those 2 are a pretty sick nonbo together.)

vvv: right, my point is the Ascendency is much more obvious. It's very clearly broken, uninteractive, and unfun to play against, as can be shown in numerous YouTube videos. Treasure Cruise isn't any of those things. It doesn't win on turn 2 or 3. It "wins" on turn 4 or 5. That gives you much more time to disrupt it. Too bad Deathrite is banned forever; he'd be a pretty good answer to The Delve Menace. Unban Skillbraid Elf while we're at it. I want to play Real Jund.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Oct 10, 2014

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Cruise is much more overpowered than JA. I have a feeling that both legacy and modern will be split into decks that splash it and are successful and decks that don't, which will end up splashing or modifying for it. There are very few strategies that won't be completely buried by multiple one cc draw threes, and even fewer who won't benefit from it.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Standard Talk:

Marshall and Loucks discussed the currently Holy Trinity (Moldy Trinity) being Elvish Mystic, Courser of Kruphix and Sylvan Caryatid. Then the talk came up of whether or not it was worth it to try and kill the T1 mystic, or just kill whatever they cast next.

The question was posed, what cards can kill an early Mystic and during Twitter discussions Ulcerate came up. Now, while it does it (quite well, and kills T2 Fleecemanes) ... Do you think the card and the 3 life is worth it?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Banlists are only updated when they release a new set.

Also if they ban Wish but not Ascendancy I will be furious and surprised, since you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with combo decks powered by three-mana enchantments.

There was one exception a long time ago to the B+R announcement scheduling, when Memory Jar was emergency banned.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
If an equipment, namely Ghostfire Blade, is enchanted by ensoul artifact, does it lose it's ability to equip to things?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Fingers McLongDong posted:

If an equipment, namely Ghostfire Blade, is enchanted by ensoul artifact, does it lose it's ability to equip to things?

Yes there is a rule somewhere that says creatures can't equip other creatures

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Yes. Creatures can't be equipped to another creature.

(Shut up Boon Satyr, you're bestowed!)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Dang. Testing out that Mono-U Robots standard decklist that top 8'd in Japan. It's actually a pretty fun deck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is the pro tour going to have live coverage today?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yes, it will start this afternoon because Hawaii.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
3PM Eastern I believe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friend is gonna be live blogging this thing. I'm looking forward to seeing how many people show up in "Hawaiian shirts." And maybe super secret tech.

(TBF loose oxfords are really comfy)

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

Deckit posted:

Yes. Creatures can't be equipped to another creature.

(Shut up Boon Satyr, you're bestowed!)

Bestowed cards are actually typed as Enchantment - Aura while they're attached to a creature so as not to trigger that rule about creatures not being able to be attached to creatures.

The type change ended up being very relevant when playing against Feast of Dreams in THS/BNG/JOU limited.

Hmm... on his blog, MaRo was talking about if they bring back Bestow they would want to keep it within a single creature type. Could we be seeing the return of Licids in Magic Origins?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

En Fuego posted:

Standard Talk:

Marshall and Loucks discussed the currently Holy Trinity (Moldy Trinity) being Elvish Mystic, Courser of Kruphix and Sylvan Caryatid. Then the talk came up of whether or not it was worth it to try and kill the T1 mystic, or just kill whatever they cast next.

The question was posed, what cards can kill an early Mystic and during Twitter discussions Ulcerate came up. Now, while it does it (quite well, and kills T2 Fleecemanes) ... Do you think the card and the 3 life is worth it?
I think so. The 3 life is pretty noticeable, but slowing your opponent down by a turn (or more) is usually worth it. I look at it this way: I would not keep a hand that has 2 lands and five 3-drops. I would keep a hand that is 2 lands, four 3-drops and a mystic. If my opponent ulcerates the elf t1, at best I have to hope to draw a 2-drop to do anything t2 and a third land to play the rest of my hand (and probably hope that 2-drop is a caryatid/another mystic). At worst, I'm sitting with a hand full of poo poo I can't play and my opponent gets at least one effective time walk for the cost of a card and 3 life.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Is this a mix format PT?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this a mix format PT?

I think its going to start with draft and then its standard.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this a mix format PT?

They changed all PTs a couple of years back to be mixed format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Is this a mix format PT?

Haven't they all been that way for a while now? Anyways, it's 3 rounds draft 5 rounds standard on both days.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

The last one I remember being single format was when Cifka won with eggs, which dosent seem too long ago, but probably is.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

meanolmrcloud posted:

The last one I remember being single format was when Cifka won with eggs, which dosent seem too long ago, but probably is.

Time flies. I still don't think of Oddysey as an old set :corsair:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

frameset posted:

There was one exception a long time ago to the B+R announcement scheduling, when Memory Jar was emergency banned.

True, but I think if ever a card deserved an emergency ban, that was it. What an absolutely absurd card. What were they thinking?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Reading the grogs.txt reminded me of the old Jace x Sorin image that was made. Does anyone still remember the goon who posted it? See if we can get a bunch made like was planned years ago.

We can actually get a kick starter for it now that kick starter exists.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Dang. Testing out that Mono-U Robots standard decklist that top 8'd in Japan. It's actually a pretty fun deck.

I've been trying it out as well, I've found it to be fun but wildly inconsistent. I wish there was video of that tournament so I could see what he was doing to make Daring Thief a good card. I'm thinking it might get better as more cards hit standard, it needs a few more artifact creatures or enablers to give it a little something. There is the highly entertaining two land, two Ornithopter, two Ensoul Artifact opening hand to make up for all the hands that are full of Chief Engineers, Springleaf Drums, and no gas.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

True, but I think if ever a card deserved an emergency ban, that was it. What an absolutely absurd card. What were they thinking?

urzasblock.txt

Seriously though, the reason Jar needed an emergency ban isn't because it was so much more powerful than, say, Tolarian Academy, but it was because people were leaving the game after Urza's Saga and they wanted to nip that in the bud. Maro has said multiple times that the CEO of wotc called R&D into his office to yell at them during Urza's and that's the only time it's happened.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So it seems they're waiting until October 22 to patch Pauper. Until then, here's a list of sweet cards that weren't legal, but now are:

Strip Mine
Hymn to Tourach
Sinkhole
High Tide
Merchant Scroll
Goblin Grenade
Guerrilla Tactics
Night Soil
Sunken City
Active Volcano//Flash Flood

To be honest they could just ban High Tide, Strip Mine, Sinkhole, Hymn, and Grenade and let the others stand. Night Soil is a sweet card for the dredge deck, and nothing outside of those five would be too imbalanced. Also watch them cancel the Pauper dailies.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

meanolmrcloud posted:

No that was PT RTR and the unsung brilliance of his near-perfect performance was his 6-0 draft record.

edit: although Day 1's draft was rounds 6-8, which made people dropping from the tournament awkward for pods.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

As I recall, they had basically zero time to design/develop/playtest the set and so a lot of stuff that seemed okay at the time in a vacuum got printed.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Elyv posted:

urzasblock.txt

Seriously though, the reason Jar needed an emergency ban isn't because it was so much more powerful than, say, Tolarian Academy, but it was because people were leaving the game after Urza's Saga and they wanted to nip that in the bud. Maro has said multiple times that the CEO of wotc called R&D into his office to yell at them during Urza's and that's the only time it's happened.

True, but having played at the time, Memory Jar was orders of magnitude worse than anything else in the block. Tolarian Academy and Yawgmoth's Will are more powerful cards in Vintage, but within Type II at the time Memory Jar was far and away the worst thing they printed. The card enabled a deck with a 75+% Turn 1 win rate. Nothing else in the format was close to that degenerate.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Didn't Skullclamp get an emergency ban as well like within a month after the set was released?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fish Of Doom posted:

Didn't Skullclamp get an emergency ban as well like within a month after the set was released?

Skullclamp didn't get banned for like 6 months, I'd link the banning article but I'm on my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The card enabled a deck with a 75+% Turn 1 win rate. Nothing else in the format was close to that degenerate.

What deck was that? I've seen Tolarian Academy decks that could win games consistently by Turn 3, and Turn 1 on very rare occasions, but I don't think even GrimJar was that degenerate, especially coming as it did after all the other banning.

• Locked thread