Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

The Droid posted:

the story about how some foreigners traveled through a town and when the rear end in a top hat old couple killed their cat the foreigners cursed them and all the cats in the town showed up to their house devoured them a few nights later

Cats of Ulthar.

Are...are we playing a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Maybe I'm getting The Hound of the Baskervilles and The Hound mixed up or something or maybe 'cause there is character named St. John and John Watson or I don't know wtf. I remember thinking that when I read it but I was probably just high out my mind.

Yeah, the Hound's a bit Poe-ish, but Lovecraft didn't hide that Poe was a huge influence on him. He'd gush about Poe the same way a modern nerd will gush about Lovecraft.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Yeah, the Hound's a bit Poe-ish, but Lovecraft didn't hide that Poe was a huge influence on him. He'd gush about Poe the same way a modern nerd will gush about Lovecraft.

He flat out quotes Poe like three times in that story.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

troof

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

... Yeah, he really, really liked Poe. I already said that. I'm not gonna read one of his worst stories again just so I can remember exactly how Poeish it was.

The jealousy angle is flat out wrong, though. The Hound is one of the first things he managed to publish and get paid for. Bit early for him to think he should be as famous as the guy he swoons over.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

well how 'bout this then.

he had a tiny mouth

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

he had a tiny mouth

he was a goony looking gently caress

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

he had a tiny mouth

in his older photos it becomes clear that he was Barnacle Jim's ancestor

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

he had a tiny mouth

did he have a tiny mouth or did he have a really monster jaw

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

butplug accident posted:

This dude old enough to be my dad has a huge beef with me for calling him gay a few times in GBS which is loving funny to me, and he's gullible as gently caress too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wow I'm just now starting to realize how good of a mod franco actually is because now I can easily constrast him to redshirt, who is a really bad mod.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
when you give a guy called 'redshirt' modship you've gotta kinda expect they're gonna go on a tear getting petty revenge against all the cool kids who made fun of them

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Harime Nui posted:

did he have a tiny mouth or did he have a really monster jaw

He came from a small fishing village where men transformed into Jay Leno as they aged, in accordance with ancient and blasphemous rites.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I don't know what beef they have, I just know that his constant mod sass was getting annoying. I don't care if redshirt is 45 years old. I have sex with older men. It's just a 6 hour probation anyways. Chill IMO

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Tsinava posted:

I don't know what beef they have, I just know that his constant mod sass was getting annoying. I don't care if redshirt is 45 years old. I have sex with older men. It's just a 6 hour probation anyways. Chill IMO

what's your favorite Lovecraftian yarn, friend

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Tsinava posted:

I have sex with older men

I forget is this one Herbert West Reanimator or what

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I forget is this one Herbert West Reanimator or what

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bugs

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
I like to have sex with old guys because most of them know what they're doing.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I actually really liked at the mountains of madness, but really lovecraft was pretty loving pretentious and overall a lovely guy. Kind of like Gould, he has some good qualities but overally wouldn't reccomend.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Is there a Lovecraft story about having sex with olds. There should be

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Morkyz posted:

I actually really liked at the mountains of madness, but really lovecraft was pretty loving pretentious and overall a lovely guy. Kind of like Gould, he has some good qualities but overally wouldn't reccomend.

Agreed. Also liked that one story about hillbillies who liked banging their cousins so much they turned into cannibal mole people, he had a few good ones mostly despite being a total nutbar

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
h.p. lovecraft is good. and i am fully on board with redshirt's reign of terror, because i too am a nerd who likes star wars and got shoved into lockers in high school while the hot girls who put out laughed at me. i can only hope to be half the man redshirt is when i'm his age, which is 60 or something i think.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
best lovecraft stories:

the music of erich zann
the case of charles dexter ward
the dreamquest of unknown kadath

hth

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Benedick Cuckold posted:

h.p. lovecraft is good. and i am fully on board with redshirt's reign of terror, because i too am a nerd who likes [REDACTED] and got shoved into lockers in high school while the hot girls who put out laughed at me. i can only hope to be half the man redshirt is when i'm his age, which is 60 or something i think.

umm better edit that out before he sees it (hes aa trekie)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Morkyz posted:

it took me a while to realize all these posts are made by "Morkyz" but now I'm onto you and your reign of terror

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dream quest of unknown kaldath and the other ones about cats own. Also the ones about creepy inbred hillpeople are pretty cool and would make a good setting for a show or videogame and rhen shooting them while escaping would be cool imo.

Also there was a good one about a church with a tower with a creepy room at the top that i also enjoyed.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
I also thought The Color Out Of Space was neat but that's probably mostly from association with that one bit of Metal Slug because I'm a manchild mere decades out from modship

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Morkyz posted:

naw redshirt's on the level. clever "typo" btw

anyway i know it's a cliche but call of cthulhu really is an almost perfect lovecraft story. there's a reason it's so popular

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

I also thought The Color Out Of Space was a neat idea but I have trouble decoupling it metnally from that one bit of Metal Slug because I'm a manchild mere decades out from modship

That was also a really good one. It was about minorities ruining property prices right?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Harime Nui posted:

it took me a while to realize all these posts are made by "Morkyz" but now I'm onto you and your reign of terror

umm what? If you have a problem with my posting please be direct.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

katlington posted:

Also the ones about creepy inbred hillpeople are pretty cool and would make a good setting for a show or videogame and rhen shooting them while escaping would be cool imo.

They are giving it a second season :smith:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing_America_with_Sarah_Palin

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

lmao

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

lol

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
Guy de Maupassant's La Horla trumps anything Lovecraft put out. It has that subtle but lingering syphilitic brain rot kinda terror.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Tonsured posted:

Guy de Maupassant's La Horla trumps anything Lovecraft put out. It has that subtle but lingering syphilitic brain rot kinda terror.

Which you do realize Lovecraft cited in Supernatural Horror in Literature as an influence?

"Relating the advent in France of an invisible being who lives on water and milk, sways the minds of others, and seems to be the vanguard of a horde of extra-terrestrial organisms arrived on earth to subjugate and overwhelm mankind, this tense narrative is perhaps without peer in its particular department." -HPL

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

Momohime Katsumi posted:

I thought I'd get in the HJallow en spirit by listening to some HP Lovecraft audiobooks. I wasn't familiar with his work but I thought that it'd be cool because he's the cthulu guy, and I'm pretty nerdy, and nerds like cthuly. it seemed to make sense. Anyway, I've listened to two stories so far -- Call of Cthulu and The Shadow Over Innsmouth -- and I think I have his whole shtick down: black, monolithic Cyclopean architecture (wtf is that), ooze, non-Euclidean geometryu (I don't know what that is either), cosmic, uninmagineable terror. You mix those things together and some gibberish nonsense words made of all consonants and you have an HP Lovecraft story. Seriously, like I don't even need to read any more of his stuff because it's just gonna be the above + doomsday occultish poo poo and people either dying or going crazy from "abominable" horror. Like, bro, have some breadth.

Anyway, thanks for reading my thread. Peace!

:troll:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
charles stross wrote a really really good lovecraftian novella called a colder war that fuses the fear of destruction at the hands of a nuclear war with cosmic horror it is probably my favourite lovecraft fiction not written by the man himself: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

brian hodge's for whom the gods would destroy is a real good lovecraftian novella as well (not in the mythos though). his worlds of hurt anthology is awesome as well although not as explicitly lovecraftian

some of laird barron's stories like hallucigenia and mysterium tremendum are quite good as well although not everyone likes his style

also the probation above is loving sad

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Neurosis posted:

also the probation above is loving sad

H.P. Modsass

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

h p lovecraft was all ideas and very little writing talent

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

h p lovecraft was all ideas and very little writing talent

that's not true at all. he obviously had a lot of raw writing talent. his prose is unassailable on a technical level, and almost no one writes more clearly, and with more creative structure, than he does. but he had an unfortunate tendency to overuse certain adjectives and often descended into purple prose. but it's not a fatal flaw in most of his writing imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

katlington posted:

That was also a really good one. It was about minorities ruining property prices right?

no, that was the civil rights related one, the coloreds out of place

• Locked thread