Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wootman
Sep 6, 2014

by XyloJW
I got a Wii U today wooo, I don't got any multiplayer games atm but if anyone wants to add me my name is.. Wootman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh, I thought the oldschool wii classic controller was not compatible with the Wii U? Or is it just certain games then?

Yeah, it's up to individual devs/games to support it or not, basically.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh, I thought the oldschool wii classic controller was not compatible with the Wii U? Or is it just certain games then?

It varies from game to game.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I know the Wii U has a lot less horsepower than the other next gen systems but god drat Captain Toad looks great. It's amazing what art direction can do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I wonder how Amiibo integration is supposed to work. It'd be fun to drop Mario in there and totally murder every stage, I suppose.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wonder how Amiibo integration is supposed to work. It'd be fun to drop Ike in there and totally murder every stage, I suppose.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

I wonder how Amiibo integration is supposed to work. It'd be fun to drop Samus in there and totally murder every stage, I suppose.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
So did anyone download Circle of the Moon? How's it look on the big screen?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Captain Toad just got confirmed as a January 9th release in Europe. Not sure on it being so soon after Christmas, but on the other hand, it does mean there's actually something to get after Christmas (which is useful when your birthday is in early February!).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's coming out on January 2 in Spain, of all places. Weird.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010
Captain Toad looks great. Great art, very cute game. But I really hope the puzzles ramp up a lot in difficulty pretty fast. Everything they've demoed so far seems super easy and straight forward, barely puzzling at all.

If the levels don't ramp up a huge amount by the ending, to be nice to the kiddies, I really hope that they at least will have insanely hard to get collectibles in some of the later levels so that THOSE at least will take a lot of skill and thought.... but not be required to win.

edit: It's the same thing as Yoshi's Wooly World... That game looks so cute. :3: But I remember hating how easy Kirby's Epic Yarn was. Then again the biggest challenge will be to defeat that adorable yarn fire dog boss :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MaxDuo posted:

Captain Toad looks great. Great art, very cute game. But I really hope the puzzles ramp up a lot in difficulty pretty fast. Everything they've demoed so far seems super easy and straight forward, barely puzzling at all.

If the levels don't ramp up a huge amount by the ending, to be nice to the kiddies, I really hope that they at least will have insanely hard to get collectibles in some of the later levels so that THOSE at least will take a lot of skill and thought.... but not be required to win.

Super Mario 3D World was nice to the kiddies. And then you reached the Bonus Worlds... :shepface:

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

allfrogs247 posted:

Captain Toad is one of those games I'm weirdly excited for. I liked the levels in Super Mario 3D World, but they didn't blow me away. For some reason though a whole game of them sounds insanely appealing. The $40 price tag doesn't hurt either.

Aaaaaand of course, $40 translates to £40 (Amazon pre-order price). :(

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

dirtyfrog posted:

Aaaaaand of course, $40 translates to £40 (Amazon pre-order price). :(

I'm pretty sure that'll change closer to release, I think Amazon does that a lot

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

It's coming out on January 2 in Spain, of all places. Weird.

Kids get presents on January 6th in Spain to celebrate the three kings giving baby Jesus gifts.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shelf Adventure posted:

Kids get presents on January 6th in Spain to celebrate the three kings giving baby Jesus gifts.

Oh well that explains it, then. Parents, buy Captain Toad for your children, it's what Jesus would have wanted.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

JethroMcB posted:

Since Amiibo support has been announced for this game I better see a Captain Toad figurine come January. You hear me, Nintendo? I'm 30 years old and I want that goddamn toy! :argh:

If they release a Toadette Amiibo I'm just going to die of cuteness!

e:

:3:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 10, 2014

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

I wonder how Amiibo integration is supposed to work. It'd be fun to drop Skylanders in there and totally murder every stage, I suppose.

I've made it a point to avoid growing up to be the kind of nerd who still buys action figures despite being a grown-rear end man. I'm not sure I'm ready to make an exception for Amiibo.

At least not until they bring out Waluigi.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Meldonox posted:

I've made it a point to avoid growing up to be the kind of nerd who still buys action figures despite being a grown-rear end man. I'm not sure I'm ready to make an exception for Amiibo.

At least not until they bring out Waluigi.

I've made it a point to avoid growing up and I've ordered a Peach Amiibo.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
English Captain Toad trailer, this game is basically all I'm looking forward to on this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nV2PKIv5Y

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I fixed it and I wanna share that fix with the world.

For a while now, the Wii U browser on my system has been, at frequent yet seemingly-arbitrary times, suddenly ceased rendering pages at all. When this happens, everything on the current webpage other than the current screen area (+ a little bit above and below) turns to a solid color, all links stop working, all GIFs freeze, and all other tabs become blanked-out when viewed, and all refresh buttons, tab-close actions, or efforts to navigate to other websites stop working until the browser is closed and reopened. Often, the browser will hang again immediately upon trying to render the offending page.

I fixed this by deleting ALL the Wi-Fi connections in the Wii U Settings, re-initializing my Wii U's familiarity with my home Wi-Fi, and then enforcing Google DNS in the connection's advanced settings.

I'm not sure which steps caused the improvement, but now even once-crash-happy sites like Tumblr behave perfectly!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well the Bayonetta 2 demo sold me on it.

I didn't know if I'd like it or not cause while it looked awesome, I didn't like the Wonderful 101. This demo was fun as hell though so I'm totally getting the full game.

I'm AWFUL at dodging though drat. I liked her whip moves more than her gun moves. I want to smash people with Bowser's god fist!!!

edit: gently caress man, Bayonetta 2, Toad's Treasure Tracker and Smash Bros. I'm not made of money here Nintendo!!!!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Oct 10, 2014

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't know if anyone else has had this problem, but I fixed it and I wanna share that fix with the world.

I have a better fix. Use the browser on, literally, any of the other dozen devices in your house that has a web browser (except the 3DS, that one is poopy as well).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Any word on a release date for Costume Quest 2 on Wii U or any other console?

Not wanting to bother with moving my computer setup to the living room at the moment.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Fremry posted:

I have a better fix. Use the browser on, literally, any of the other dozen devices in your house that has a web browser (except the 3DS, that one is poopy as well).

The Wii U browser is the best non-actual-computer browser I've ever used (when it's not behaving all weird) and the gamepad is more comfortable than a laptop when chilling out on a couch.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MaxDuo posted:

If it's consistent with other Mario games, it'll probably be mostly easy and then the optional levels will be utterly insanely difficult.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Neo Rasa posted:

So did anyone download Circle of the Moon? How's it look on the big screen?

Didn't see this answered, I don't have it but people in the Castlevania thread like it.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

English Captain Toad trailer, this game is basically all I'm looking forward to on this system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32nV2PKIv5Y

I want this game so bad. Definitely my most anticipated.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Two months ago, I would never have guessed that my ps4 sits in dust while my WiiU is getting plenty of use. And then throw in Smash bros (my only hope is it be better than brawl), Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2? Ain't no slowing down.

And I haven't even touched mario 3d world, though I'll get there soon enough.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Two months ago, I would never have guessed that my ps4 sits in dust while my WiiU is getting plenty of use. And then throw in Smash bros (my only hope is it be better than brawl), Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors, and Bayonetta 2? Ain't no slowing down.

So, I'm kind of lost. I played the pants off of the Smash Bros. games, and I am just now hearing about how people hate on Brawl. What are the non-competitive-scene complaints with that game?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

Just beat Bowser in SM3DW last night. It's an awesome game.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

zfleeman posted:

So, I'm kind of lost. I played the pants off of the Smash Bros. games, and I am just now hearing about how people hate on Brawl. What are the non-competitive-scene complaints with that game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3caoy4cIXac

Also the game is much slower than Melee was, and online play was a joke.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

zfleeman posted:

I don't think any non-competitive players "hate" Brawl. It has a really good roster with some characters that previously seemed like pipe dreams (Sonic, Snake, etc). It does some things better than Brawl and some things worse than Brawl. I think the loudest complaints at the time came from the singleplayer campaign. Some people like it, some people despise it, and most people go "meh." The problem is, they hyped the poo poo out of Subspace Emissary. That was supposed to be a huge selling point, but the gameplay simply didn't feel that good.

I think the biggest issue is the Wii hardware itself. The models are higher quality than Brawl's, but since the camera is usually zoomed out and everything is rendered in standard definition you can barely tell the difference most of the time. It looks better, but only sliiiightly. So, YEARS after Melee, you plug in Brawl and it looks like you're playing the same drat game. If the Wii had been able to output hd that would have been a different story.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 10, 2014

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't think any non-competitive players "hate" Brawl. It has a really good roster with some characters that previously seemed like pipe dreams (Sonic, Snake, etc). It does some things better than Brawl and some things worse than Brawl. I think the loudest complaints at the time came from the singleplayer campaign. Some people like it, some people despise it, and most people go "meh." The problem is, they hyped the poo poo out of Subspace Emissary. That was supposed to be a huge selling point, but the gameplay simply didn't feel that good.

I think the biggest issue is the Wii hardware itself. The models are higher quality than Brawl's, but since the camera is usually zoomed out and everything is rendered in standard definition you can barely tell the difference most of the time. It looks better, but only sliiiightly. So, YEARS after Melee, you plug in Brawl and it looks like you're playing the same drat game. If the Wii had been able to output hd that would have been a different story.

Was Subspace the time in between those really cool cutscenes? I think I blacked out that part. Weird, I didn't know that mode burned a lot of people. As for the graphics, I think it's more than 'slightly better' good-looking. I think another comparison for how the updated visuals looked are comparable to Sunshine -> Galaxy.

I dunno, Brawl is my favorite in the series. The idea of going back to melee sounds like something I don't want to do.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Evil Canadian posted:

Its up to the devs, but for the most part any game you would wanna use it for supports it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

zfleeman posted:

Was Subspace the time in between those really cool cutscenes? I think I blacked out that part. Weird, I didn't know that mode burned a lot of people.

One word; Tabuu.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Subspace Emissary was fun. I spent way more time on that than the main game. Though I did have people to co-op with.

And Tabuu was a giant "this is how you sidestep dodge" tutorial. Once you figured out the timing on that, he was piss easy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One word; Tabuu.

Telegraphs everything and his Red Rings of Death are easily dodged with sidestepping. :colbert:

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

I liked Subspace Emissary, but it didn't hold a lot of replay value for me...except for unlocking a few hidden characters. Other than that I never went back to it after I finished it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

allfrogs247 posted:

I liked Subspace Emissary, but it didn't hold a lot of replay value for me...except for unlocking a few hidden characters. Other than that I never went back to it after I finished it.

Same. That's what I thought most people did. Which is why I'm surprised that it turned so many people off.

• Locked thread