Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

WCW: Well give the fans the outcome they want and then immediately reverse it

Might as well just get to this fix, since it's heading there anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BillyMays posted:

Reading the Death of WCW and I got to the part about the Beach Blast movie with Sting, Davey Boy, Vader, and Sid. I thought I've seen all of these videos but I'm glad I was wrong.

http://www.wwe.com/videos/the-masters-of-the-powerbomb-crash-sting-the-british-bulldogs-beach-party-beach-26118334

Seriously how did this production cost $88,000?

Pyro+licensing is loving expensive.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything different about the 10th anniversary edition that wasn't in the old one?

The anniversary edition has ~210 more pages, going off what amazon has for info on each kindle version.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

Is there anything different about the 10th anniversary edition that wasn't in the old one?

They changed the dedication from "Paul and Steph" to "Bob and Dixie".

They also spend time teeing off on TNA (and a bit on WWE) for not learning from the mistakes of WCW.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
From what I've seen in the preview, the writing is somewhat cleaned up. As far as content is concerned, it includes more direct quotes and sources. There's also a new prologue and an epilogue of all the WCW stupidity that was duplicated in TNA.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

They changed the dedication from "Paul and Steph" to "Bob and Dixie".

They also spend time teeing off on TNA (and a bit on WWE) for not learning from the mistakes of WCW.

They also credited lessons learned, like WWE making approximately All The Money on Rey Mysterio masks, when WCW had Mysterio unmask to make him marketable.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

WCW: Well give the fans the outcome they want on the PPV and then immediately reverse it the next night on Nitro.

To be fair, no one gave two shits about DDP at that point in his career. In truth it wasn't until he turned down the NWO that he was anywhere near being over, and then it just snowballed from there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Skinty McEdger posted:

To be fair, no one gave two shits about DDP at that point in his career. In truth it wasn't until he turned down the NWO that he was anywhere near being over, and then it just snowballed from there.

So they're in the Superdome for Nitro. Bischoff tells DDP he's going to reject the NWO's offer and he's got a 12 minute segment to do it in. He's not sure how he's going to have a match and then reject the NWO in one segment that short. As the night goes on, Bischoff rebooks the show and his segment slowly gets shrunk and shrunk. Eventually someone tells him "okay, you're next, you've got 3 minutes!" and he's freaking out because how in the hell is he going to do that whole thing so fast. He asks Nash what to do, and Nash says not to worry about it.

So he gets out there, hits Mark Starr with the Diamond Cutter in 15 seconds, Hall and Nash immediately come out and offer him the shirt, then he cutters Hall, sends Nash over the top rope, does two really fast poses, and bails through the crowd, and they're done in 3 minutes.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 7, 2014

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're in the Superdome for Nitro. Bischoff tells DDP he's going to reject the NWO's offer and he's got a 12 minute segment to do it in. He's not sure how he's going to have a match and then reject the NWO in one segment that short. As the night goes on, Bischoff rebooks the show and his segment slowly gets shrunk and shrunk. Eventually someone tells him "okay, you're next, you've got 3 minutes!" and he's freaking out because how in the hell is he going to do that whole thing so fast. He asks Nash what to do, and Nash says not to worry about it.

So he gets out there, hits Mark Starr with the Diamond Cutter in 15 seconds, Hall and Nash immediately come out and offer him the shirt, then he cutters Hall, sends Nash over the top rope, does two really fast poses, and bails through the crowd, and they're done in 3 minutes.
This is then followed by him watching the show on replay in his hotel room getting progressively drunker on scotch waiting for commentary to show a replay and talk about it and they never do, and ends up running into Nash and Hall in a club nearly blackout drunk and furious.

The best DDP story has to be when he found Stone Cold unconscious next to an empty bottle of vodka and a pile of half eaten cookies, and used the cookies to lure Austin to bed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Volcano Style posted:

The best DDP story has to be when he found Stone Cold unconscious next to an empty bottle of vodka and a pile of half eaten cookies, and used the cookies to lure Austin to bed.
What's it with DDP and cookies?

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

From what I've seen in the preview, the writing is somewhat cleaned up. As far as content is concerned, it includes more direct quotes and sources. There's also a new prologue and an epilogue of all the WCW stupidity that was duplicated in TNA.

There's a lot more info on how bad it got in 2000 and 2001, especially in 2000. Probably a good 20-30 pages extra content. The chapters about how WWE hosed up the invasion and TNA are well worth it in my opinion.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

What's it with DDP and cookies?

Cookies are delicious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT: STARRCADE 97 THE AFTERMATH!

It's the two Nitros that followed up the biggest match of all time!!! Not only that, but I believe the second one is building up the first ever THUNDER (don't worry, we'll get to that.)

What will happen? Well, lots of things! I'll spoil one thing, tonight we get

HOGAN VS STING IN A RETURN MATCH FROM STARRCADE 97!!!!

Yeah!

8 PM!

7:30 for Cowboy Who!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Schiavone: Let's go to the replay from last week.

Scott Hall: ...I'll have a big surprise for you next week.

Schiavone: And "next week" is this week, fans.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Volcano Style posted:

This is then followed by him watching the show on replay in his hotel room getting progressively drunker on scotch waiting for commentary to show a replay and talk about it and they never do, and ends up running into Nash and Hall in a club nearly blackout drunk and furious.

I loved that Nitro got a rerun later at night.

They do this for WWE stuff, but only if you get the Universal HD channel (which I do) - but that's on Saturday night.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Red posted:

I loved that Nitro got a rerun later at night.

They do this for WWE stuff, but only if you get the Universal HD channel (which I do) - but that's on Saturday night.

Not anymore :smith:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
God bless the judge who kept the footage of Sting/Hogan out of the nWo's hands. Bless JJ Dillon as well for showing it to us this Thursday on Thunder. 8:05 Eastern on the Superstation.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I found it amusing when I put on a Nitro and they said 'folks, we have the FOOTAGE of THIS AMAZING THING that happened on last night's PPV, it is ON ITS WAY and we will get it to you as soon as we can, so STAY TUNED!'

And now I just sit here and think 'haha, like they really don't have the footage on hand... but, then again, it IS WCW...'

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Look at the adjective.

Kevin Nash dropped by Nitro tonight. It's clear watching his whole speech that "Look at the adjective, play." was a mistake by Nash and he didn't pause in the right place. It's supposed to be; "So this is where the big boys play huh? Look at adjective (Pause) Play? I don't think so." But even then, adjective is still wrong.

He also bizarrely drops in a reference to Mein Kampf.

In hindsight, it would've made more sense for Sting to join the NWO...well ok it wouldn't have made 'sense'. But a big part of his promo is talking up how old everyone is in the WCW roster. I guess it serves as a precursor to the New Blood stuff, though of course that's ignoring the ages of Hall and Nash.

Also in this episode? The utterly loving bizarre Shark/Big Bubba feud in which Big Bubba cut the hair off Shark a couple of weeks before and promises to do it again while dressed as a member of the Village people. And then Shark admitting that HE IS NO LONGER A FISH BUT IS NOW A MAN.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Adjective is right, I think. The promo's pretty clearly meant to be "I'm big, but I'm not here to play,' or something to that effect, but he hosed it up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

God bless the judge who kept the footage of Sting/Hogan out of the nWo's hands. Bless JJ Dillon as well for showing it to us this Thursday on Thunder. 8:05 Eastern on the Superstation.

It really amuses me to no end that WCW managed to botch the Sting angle so badly, and kept compounding it week after week.

I think by the end of the feud, Hogan walked away with the only clean victory.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm not sure, but Sting is actually the most successful wrestler against Hogan, ever. He's beaten him in most of their singles matches and all of their PPV matches.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Ah GREAT AMERICAN BASH 96. You can tell it's the 90s because Sting, the face, cuts a promo on how gay Regal probably is. Talking about breeding boys in England.

Sadly, they're also running with DDP's dubbed music, instead of his original ripoff tune.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm not sure, but Sting is actually the most successful wrestler against Hogan, ever. He's beaten him in most of their singles matches and all of their PPV matches.

Sting had 3 PPV victories over Hogan, but none of them were clean. Starrcade '97 had a wrestler restart the match for reasons after Hogan pinned Sting clean, Superbrawl '98 ended after Randy Savage turned on Hogan and popped him in the face, and Fall Brawl '99 was the antithesis of clean.

The rest of their televised matches in WCW ended in draws.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don't forget their TNA match!

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I already forgot it though!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sting never lost to Hogan because he never lost the focus of the scorpion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPGdoB7U8fI

and when he did, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

Neither was good for Hulk.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stealing this from the YouTube thread, a 20 minute interview with Buff the Stuff where he rants about WCW, talks about his mom, and how the gigolo business is going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLwbCRlXM8

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DrVenkman posted:

Also in this episode? The utterly loving bizarre Shark/Big Bubba feud in which Big Bubba cut the hair off Shark a couple of weeks before and promises to do it again while dressed as a member of the Village people. And then Shark admitting that HE IS NO LONGER A FISH BUT IS NOW A MAN.

He's not just a man. He's John Tenta.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

Ah GREAT AMERICAN BASH 96. You can tell it's the 90s because Sting, the face, cuts a promo on how gay Regal probably is. Talking about breeding boys in England.

Watching this at the moment and Sting literally said he'd beat Regal straight.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Watching this at the moment and Sting literally said he'd beat Regal straight.

Well considering Godfather later called Regal (and England) "nothing but a bunch of fags", I guess Sting failed

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT AT 8:05 PM ON SUPERSTATION PSP-TV

THE FIRST EVER THUNDER!!!!!!!

The nWo tried to make the Clinton activist Supreme Court lock away the footage from Starrcade and Nitro, but we'll see it tonight! We'll know the truth about the fast count and whatever happened after Nitro the next night!

Also:

Chris Jericho has SNAPPED will his losing streak continue against Ric Flair?

DDP and Kevin Nash collide in the main event!

Chris Adams!

Louie Spicolli!

Ultimo Dragon vs Juventud Guererra for the cruiserweight title!

And so much more!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

THUNDER!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Wow I forgot how bad Zbysko was on commentary.

"Here comes the endomorphic cyborg enforcement unit, Arn Anderson."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I am in awe of how bad the first Thunder was. I haven't watched it in full since it aired and back then I was really worried about what might happen to the belt so I didn't remember it being a boring show, but wow, what a boring show.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I remembered the first episode of Thunder as the one with the Rey Mysterio Jr vs Juvi match but I guess that's the second episode.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It took a while for Thunder to reach such heights as DDP vs The Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRDi2lK6b-s

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It took a while for Thunder to reach such heights as DDP vs The Machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRDi2lK6b-s

Was that a gimmick from 8mm? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

"Let's make him that dude from that movie where he raped and killed drugged up runaways off Sunset Boulevard".

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

Was that a gimmick from 8mm? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

"Let's make him that dude from that movie where he raped and killed drugged up runaways off Sunset Boulevard".

Yes it was and I don't know who.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yes, The Machine was an atomically lovely idea. Being humiliated in his one appearance and never seen again was the best possible outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Memento posted:

Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

Probably Kevin Sullivan.