Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I like having those 2 extra inf as reinforcements so I don't get eng/artillery in the front row if I take too much casualties. Is that not actually necessary? I've never actually paid much attention to what actually happens in battles besides casualty count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Hreinhold posted:

I like having those 2 extra inf as reinforcements so I don't get eng/artillery in the front row if I take too much casualties. Is that not actually necessary? I've never actually paid much attention to what actually happens in battles besides casualty count.

Depends on how you play honestly. I like use stacks of 10, then have them converge when poo poo goes down. Also using drafted armies to hold the line and take the initial hit so my armies that have cav and artillery dont get whittled down so much.

Edit: Then again my last game was as Czechoslovakia so when poo poo went down it was in the alps so being outnumbered didnt really matter that much and they could hold out until reinforcements could show up so your mileage may vary v:v:v

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 9, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

GrossMurpel posted:

I'm playing Ultimate

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's your problem.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So I'm now in 1939 of my Canada game in Kaiserreich and I just had the whole Iceland deal go down sour, did not go to outright war with UoB over Iceland basing rights and my troops lost the ensuing skirmish in Reykjavik. So my ultimate goal is ofcourse to retake Britain, which I am thinking will have to wait until 1940 or something anyway since then I will have some more aircraft carriers come out and maybe the UoB will be at war with Germany since I think France usually pushes for war with Germany in late 1939 or something (Germany folded to their demands in Switzerland and only executed the assassin in the embassy incident or whatever it was). I'm guessing that a naval invasion of Britain is quite difficult if I don't have any nearby bases for my fighters and bombers to support the invasion so I'm currently going for the deal with Ireland decision and hoping that can help me out. Also really hoping they will get into a war with Germany because I don't really have any intel on their forces but they have nearly double my IC and most definitely much more manpower so I'm pretty sure I'll be outnumbered in most respects when the war breaks out.

I have been eyeing a certain other opportunity which may or may not help me achieve my ultimate ends though.
This is what the 2nd American Civil War currently looks like.

The AUS has definitely done best, they forced the Syndicalists out of their heartlands very early on and destroyed them late last year, they've also aquired quite alot of bombers according to my intel which I guess is part of how they managed to do as well as they've done against the Syndicalists and the Federals.
The PSA grabbed some territory early on in the war for about 3000 casualties total and peaced out, when they approached me for entry into the Entente I went for it because the Federals were in full retreat on all front at that time.
The Federals (who have not been couped by MacArthur) however are reduced to only the North East (still holding Washington) excluding New England which I snatched as the war broke out. They have been on the run and taking massive casualties for most of the war as far as I could tell, however for the year they have been wholed up in that location and the AUS have not been able to make any headway against them whatsoever. Though it definitely seems they've tried because I've been watching their casualties, which used to be the lowest out of the combatants by nearly 100,000, but recently they've skyrocketed as they've not been able to put a dent in the defensive ring around Washington.

So here's what I'm thinking: I take out the AUS. hopefully I can either gain a puppet or puppets in the US or give the territories to the Federal government in exchange for them not hating me anymore. Their southern provinces should not be very well defended so I have my hopes that an amphibious assault should be able to to quickly cripple them, especially as the PSA will join the war and attack from the west.
Hopefully this can be used to further my ultimate goal to retake Britain and I won't be bogged down in a war of attrition. Also it seems kind of fitting for a revanchist monarchist Britain to re-subjugate the United States.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Randarkman posted:

So I'm now in 1939 of my Canada game in Kaiserreich [...]

Take out the AUS. Do it NOW. If you dilly-dally, they can get their IC up to 300+ and completely wreck your poo poo. That ruined my PSA game.

As for naval invasions, your best bet is numbers and top-notch equipment. If you build up a murdernavy of tons of sub stacks, you can free the sealanes and eventually attempt a naval landing at pretty much every beach the UoB has - and they can't defend against that.

And as for WW2, it can be possible that the French wait until about '45 if they want to wait until the Damocles Project pays off (with nukes). The only way you can tell is if you watch the game log for France's decision on Alsace-Lorraine or War.

The delay happened in my UoB game here - took quite a long time for this poo poo to get started.

I didn't get bored, though. And before the year was done...

In the next year, I also took out National France, and am now planning to take down South Africa before going for Cape to Cairo.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 9, 2014

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, I'm going to take them out.

Also an interesting development in the mediterranean.

National France reintroduced the monarchy and the Italian federation won their war against Austria when they tried to meddle after the Pope died, and now after the Carlists won the Spanish civil war they allied Portugal, Kingdom of France (who left the Entente) and the Italian Federation and could possibly pose quite a threat to the Syndicalists (esepcially as I suspect that the Kingdom of France might DoW the Commune if and when they attack Germany).

e: Kingdom of France also seem to have been taking all the mobilization event choices they've been given so far in the game so they should be more powerful than their pitiful IC indicates.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's your problem.

Heh, I'm aware the mod fucks it up. It's just that even with the vanilla poptype files the bug happens, which seems impossible :psyduck:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Okay, so I attacked the AUS on July 16 1939, December 5 of the same year this is the situation.

I started off by launching amphibious invasions of Charleston and New Orleans and then shipping in a few more divisions at each beachead, things kind of stalled a bit as it seems the AUS sent everything they had against my forces, and I got a bit cautious after I lost 3 divisions due to stupid carelessness.
But then it seemed they left their western flank almost completely undefended, letting the PSA run wild witha few motor and cavalry divisions grabbing any province they could get their hands on, once that got going their fate was sealed as the AUS forces took massive casualties from battles and bombig runs.
End result of the 2nd American civil war was about 900,000 casualties for the AUS, roughly 400,000 each from the USA and the CSA and about 30,000 PSA and 80,000 Canadian.

Question is what do I do with it now? I checked it out and when I annex the AUS the USA gets the "end of the civil war"-event and start demanding territories back, which I can grant in exchange for an alliance (though this gets cancelled due to events gettting confused, because this allies them to the PSA and the event for ending a temporary alliance with them promptly triggers). I'm going to check if I get any special events showing up with regards to exchanging provinces with the PSA if I just keep the occupied territories, because those are some ugly loving borders.

It should also be mentioned that I am a democracy with full interventionism and the USA has exactly 1 belligerence...

Also war in Europe broke out within a few days of my intervention in the civil war.

France made some rapid gains but has kind of stalled a bit against Germany, though they have made good headway against the Mediterranean alliance which declared war a few days after France attacked Germany. Also the UoB has joined the war on France's side. And that is Soviet Russia to the east, currently neutral after taking Karelia from Finland.

e: scratch that bit about attacking the USA, we have a non-aggression pact.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 10, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Randarkman posted:

Okay, so I attacked the AUS on July 16 1939, December 5 of the same year this is the situation [...]

DOW the USA and annex them too, making sure you take Washington. Then release them as a puppet, which should make the PSA give them their territories back.

EDIT: Well, cancel that poo poo!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Man why the hell does Soviet Russia always do well in other goons' games? Whenever I play Kaiserreich they always collapse almost immediately.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Man why the hell does Soviet Russia always do well in other goons' games? Whenever I play Kaiserreich they always collapse almost immediately.

Russia just gave up without a fight and joined with them in this one.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheMcD posted:

DOW the USA and annex them too, making sure you take Washington. Then release them as a puppet, which should make the PSA give them their territories back.

EDIT: Well, cancel that poo poo!

Yeah, somehow I didn't think of that. Need some more money first, though that shouldn't be a problem as I just have to unprioritize supplies for a while. And this will allow me to get my forces into position to deliver a swift killing blow.

e: What the hell. I cancelled the non-aggression treaty and I still can't DOW them? They have 1 belligerence and according to my slider that's what I need.

e2: Well, even though it doesn't seem like it actually should it is me being a democracy that is keeping me from DOW'ing USA. I am 2 slider moves away from being Authoritarian Democrat (Dictatorship), I don't want to cheat to get this one, since I can achieve it by enacting press censorship (costing 500 gold) and using my next slider move, which comes in July (because I forgot about slider moves when I started up the game). Then comes the Great Backstab.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 10, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
How are people getting HoI2/DH/KR to run so well? I just installed DH via Steam and it barely works - I have to switch my display to 16-bit color and force it into windowed mode just to avoid crippling graphical glitches, and even then it runs so slow that I can count off a second or two between clicking a button and the desired menu appearing, or three seconds if I'm trying to operate a scrollbar.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Started playing around with HoI3 divisions to see what terrain effects they suffer...it seems like almost everything suffers some moderate to major attack penalty (30-60% on average) for just about everything aside from open plains?

I did notice Mountain Infantry seem to generally get less penalties than infantry in a number of cases (not just mountain) so I guess they're a nice thing to have in any sort of rough environment?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Started playing around with HoI3 divisions to see what terrain effects they suffer...it seems like almost everything suffers some moderate to major attack penalty (30-60% on average) for just about everything aside from open plains?

I did notice Mountain Infantry seem to generally get less penalties than infantry in a number of cases (not just mountain) so I guess they're a nice thing to have in any sort of rough environment?

If I remember right, mountaineers get bonuses for mountains and hills, marines for crossing rivers and marshes.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Main Paineframe posted:

How are people getting HoI2/DH/KR to run so well? I just installed DH via Steam and it barely works - I have to switch my display to 16-bit color and force it into windowed mode just to avoid crippling graphical glitches, and even then it runs so slow that I can count off a second or two between clicking a button and the desired menu appearing, or three seconds if I'm trying to operate a scrollbar.

Run it in windows XP.

BBJoey posted:

The Kaisserreich Soviets are super-hyper-aggressive so if they come out strong (say if they win via event and don't have to fight a civil war they almost always lose) they will crush everyone.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Welp, that's it for my first game returning to Vicky 2 after a couple of years. While I didn't accomplish my goal of uniting all of South America under glorious Colombia, I think I did alright for myself.

5th place really isn't bad in this game!

The glorious homeland.

The super-happy, definitely-not-exploited African colonies.

The super-happy, definitely-not-exploited Vietnamese protectorate.

Truly, we are a reformed state. A worker's paradise!

Hmm... I wonder what the rest of the world has been up to?

Wait... What happened to Europe?

What is this?

:psyduck:

The Great War ended up being between Communist France and Monarchist Germany... and like everyone else in the world. It obviously ended with a French defeat. After that it was a matter of Germany pressing like every single crisis it could and totally balkanizing Europe. Honestly, that was pretty helpful for me and I'm not sure I would have made GP if Germany didn't knock down half the other GPs for me. Besides the crazy maps, there was a crazy war. This game does a good job simulating the whole 'vainglory of nations' aspect of this era. The US got a humiliate CB and declared on me, I started winning and added a humiliate CB back as well as an 'add to sphere' CB to steal Peru. These are two of the battles that resulted (along with countless smaller battles and naval engagements).

Machineguns and gas are great!

:aaaaa: This battle was insane, I can't believe I won in the end. I just remember looking over and seeing a 340k on the US to my 70k and figuring it was over... and then I won anyway. Defending is insane!

Final map.

The moral of this imagespam is that Vicky 2 is still fun and you should play it! I'm going to take a break for a while, but I'm feeling an imperial Japan and an Austria game coming up soon!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Samolety posted:

The moral of this imagespam is that Vicky 2 is still fun and you should play it! I'm going to take a break for a while, but I'm feeling an imperial Japan and an Austria game coming up soon!

I'm doing a casual Japan game with NNM in my spare time right now, and V2 is definitely still good. It's 1864ish and I just had the Meiji Restoration and beat down the Shogunate, now it's time to consolidate quickly and then take on Korea :getin:

Also South America is by far my favorite place to play Victoria. I like being able to start with a clean slate and inflate with all those immigrants, making kindof a counterpart USA.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
So close to restoring glorious Byzantium :smithicide:

This timeline managed to produce an earlier best Korea though:

Also at one point I panned over and zoomed in to check on my then-buddy France

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

grancheater posted:

Also at one point I panned over and zoomed in to check on my then-buddy France

Jacobins?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So after the decisive Canadian intervention in the 2nd American Civil War order is finally restored and North America has been reshaped to preserve order and peace (I cheated a bit too ensure the borders at least weren't horrifyingly ugly and to give my new puppets all their territory).

The PSA is the strongest power to come out of the civil war, they seceded and fought an opportunistic war, signing peace when they had what they wanted afterwards joining the Entente and participating with great glee in the Canadian intervention that ended hostilities. They are still part of the Entente and demanded and received the territory of Alaska and was joined by Hawaii. They are currently ruled by a military regime but are still pretty much an open democratic society with a mixed economy.

Then there are two newcomers, created as a result of the Royal Canadian Armed Forces restoring peace and order to the deeply troubled United States. They are both nominally independent regimes led by local military, business and political elites deemed amenable to Canadian interests and general stability. As can be seen business is allowed to continue unrestricted to rebuild the shattered economies but certain, purely temporary, measures had to be enforced to ensure that this could operate unhindered and in peace. In the north is the Confederation of the Great Lakes with its capital in Washington, and in the south is the Federated Union with is capital in Richmond.

Now begins the great task of harnessing the power of the Americas for the liberation of Europe currently embroiled in a terrible war that has already claimed 3 million lives.

Thinking I'm going to build myself up to be stronger and research more naval doctrines (amphibious invasion and such), before I attempt the invasion. My puppets might even build up some troops I can use as well by that time. As far as I can see, I've got time as the war in Europe doesn't seem to be going anywhere (though the Germans have some isolated occupied provinces inside France, guessing that was an ill-fated breakthrough).

e: Looked up some of the ministers and it seems as though the Confederation is basically a corporate state, most of the ministers are corporate executives of some sort and the minister of security was a notorious union buster for the Ford Motor Company, with the full free market and closed society it's basically unleashed capitalism where workers have few, if any rights. The Federated State is almost all good old boys, mostly Southern Democrats who supported segregation, so yeah, that sounds pretty nice as well.

It feels good being a force for positive change in the world :cripes:

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Jacobins?

Nightmares.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

:victoria2:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

ThePutty posted:

:victoria2:

Too small too see anything. Make it a zoom on a single humungous rebel stack instead.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randarkman posted:

It feels good being a force for positive change in the world :cripes:

This is honestly what I love about Kaiserreich, the dark atmosphere.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to set up an XP virtual machine just for running Darkest Hour again, damnit.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.virtualbox.org/

That's the only virtual machine I've tried, so maybe others are better, but it worked fine for me and was easy to set up.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

This is honestly what I love about Kaiserreich, the dark atmosphere.

I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to set up an XP virtual machine just for running Darkest Hour again, damnit.

I'm running it perfectly fine (Steam version) on Windows 8, without having enabled any compatibility mode or anything.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 10, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Randarkman posted:

I'm running it perfectly fine (Steam version) on Windows 8, without having enabled any compatibility mode or anything.

Does it run really slowly? The last time I tried running it on Windows 8 it opened up just fine and everything, but even running it at Extreme speed took like 5 seconds to get through a single day.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

Does it run really slowly? The last time I tried running it on Windows 8 it opened up just fine and everything, but even running it at Extreme speed took like 5 seconds to get through a single day.

Nope, it runs just fine. Might be a little bit slower, a day is about 2 seconds on extreme speed, but there is no delay between clicking on something or giving orders or anything like that, I'd attribute things in general going a bit slower to the event heavy KR scenario anyway.
I can't run it in windowed mode though (need lower color depth), and it doesn't always take kindly to alt-tabbing, but that's about it.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Farecoal posted:

You can use the console to give Lombardy Venice's provinces or vice versa, they won't have cores on the land but that doesn't matter as much in V2

That's true.

Another thing I was thinking of while looking at that map, there should be a Hapsburg Hungary that has cores on Croatia. That would prevent there from being such an ugly coastal strip. I'm probably going to dump these new minors from my sphere and let the neighbors clean up.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Art of War got a release date, October 30th.

Also there's a preview video starring Wiz!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Virtualbox works nicely and is pretty easy to set up, but I don't know if I even have a copy of XP lying around anymore.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Drone posted:

I think I posted it earlier, but if you run in windows 8 with resolution set to like 1% less than native res (and 16 bit colour in compatibility options I think), it runs lag free for some reason.

Just don't ever move the window or it crashes.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Yeah you'll incur attacking penalties with almost all units in any kind of tough(er) terrain.

Special Forces are p. nice but take a gander at their attack values, especially hard, not very good. Also, they take 30% more officers, an extra two doctrine techs to be researched, and around double the IC cost compared to regular infantry - yikes!

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

New HOI4 diary
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?805413-Hearts-of-Iron-IV-Developer-Diary-10-Naval-Combat

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Those portraits are beautiful.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Do all the leaders in the game have fancy-pants painted portraits like that? Or are there generic portraits too?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Hearts of Iron IV: Tannu Tuvan Leader Pack - $2,99

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Yes, that's nice, but how do I customize the missile loadouts and ammo magazines on my destroyers?? This is crucial!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

If Padre Groggo is not in the game I will LITERALLY never buy a Paradox title again!

• Locked thread